Academy of the Over-Rated

Asithappens

I don’t know if you are old enough to have actually listened to the radio back in the day. But here is how it really is. The three most important artists of the 20th century were in this order, Ray Charles, Elvis and the Beatles. They were the triad of power that without which we would not have the music we have today. Or at least would have been delayed for a few decades.
Here are the simple reasons. If you really care do your research, there are many, many more.
First, Ray Charles is number one for the simple reason he did the unthinkable by blending Gospel and blues into pop form music signatures that are still being copied to this day. AND he not only introduced it to the white market, but he completely legitimized it. Without Ray we don’t have rock and roll, Elvis, the British Invasion or anything else. And he got crucified by his own community for doing it.
The second was Elvis. He took up what Ray started, but added the marketable good looking white boy element to the sound. Had it not been for the crooked Colonel, Elvis would have been 10 times as big. Not touring worldwide killed Elvis in the 60’s. 
Then comes the Beatles. They filled the vacuum created by Elvis and his handlers (ie the Colonel) for not touring properly, and letting his sound get stale by 1963. When they released Meet the Beatles. AND the writing and arrangements of Lennon and McCartney would push them to superstardom. 
Those three artists were not only the most important of the 20th century for the development of the many different genres of music we enjoy today. It was that collectively they didn’t just impact the political, cultural and social attitudes of the entire planet of their time, they fucking changed them. It took those three, in that order, to write the history of rock and roll. A style of music that 99% of music executives of the time said was just a fad, and would never last.

CSB time - my Grandfather was with RCA when the Beatles came across his A&R group. Was in the room when RCA said thanks but no thanks.

He said the thought process was:
A. It’s a fad
B. We have Elvis....what more do we need.

Crazy.

40 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Streep overrated ?  Not hardly and I'm not much of a fan, but her work is solid. The rest, yeah for sure.

Streep's a decent actress, but people talk about her like she doesn't need to use Febreeze after she goes to the bathroom. She's a pretty good actress that's propped up and hyped by the media machine far more than her talent suggests she should be. 

4 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Is Ashton Kutcher even rated? 

After That 70s Show, he was a very hot item. When most of his projects bombed, his star faded.

Anyway, when the thread talks about overrated, doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, just not as good as advertised. 

I'd put most actors/actresses in the overrated category, cause they're usually reading lines written by someone else, and special effects, makeup and editing makes them seem smarter, stronger and better looking than in real life. It can get pretty cringy to listen to an actor interviewing when they don't have a script. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I liked him somewhat on That 70s Show as the resident idiot. That is about it. He's a terrible actor.

Yeah, I know most people on this board didn't like That 70s Show, but the first few seasons had some great lines.