Things Trump COULD do to make his base turn on him?

Hugo Stiglitz

*Without increasing his approval among the rest of the population?

Even if he switched parties to democrat, any lose among his base might be mitigated by gains among democrats.

The point is, even if Trump wanted to tank his current approval numbers, it would be almost impossible.  

Turn is not a good word.  I say go over to TexAgs.  It's not a damn break situation, but a gradual slide.  Every month you can check back and the place is a little less Trump friendly, a few more people are sick of having the go along with the charade that this guy knows what he's doing.  I think that is what is happening throughout the country for him.

If you want an actual 'turn', it would have to be that he funded a few abortions for his mistresses.  That's really the only line in the sand.

• Like 1

Make out with Hillary

Admit Obama was a better president than he was

Even if he switched parties to democrat, any lose among his base might be mitigated by gains among democrats.

You need to quit drinking, you fucking weirdo.  No way in hell, not 2019 Trump.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Man, I dunno, everyone I know personally that is a die hard Trumper is doubling down right now on illegal horde and gun confiscation.

They must be really torn about the illegal horde national emergency leading to the inevitable gun confiscation national emergency.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Your brain has been poisoned by polonium

Many of the Bernie Bros are trumpkins in liberal clothing.  They will ride or die for Bernie.  They will vote for republicans to fuck over centrist democrats.  The cult crowd isn’t exclusive to the right. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I guess if he can't stomach kissing Hillary, he could come out and say "I admire her. I think she's fully innocent and the email thing was overblown. I do not want to lock her up.  She would have made an exceptional president.  Benghazi was not her fault, but many people, including congressional Republicans." 

I mean, his base would stroke out.  Which I guess would kill his approval ratings.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Many of the Bernie Bros are trumpkins in liberal clothing.  They will ride or die for Bernie.  They will vote for republicans to fuck over centrist democrats.  The cult crowd isn’t exclusive to the right. 

Again, people like this are too dumb for words.

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

*Without increasing his approval among the rest of the population?

The point is, even if Trump wanted to tank his current approval numbers, it would be almost impossible.  

What Republicans traditionally pretended to care about when there was a black guy in office that they have conveniently done a 180 on since Trump took over: 

Free Trade/Tariffs - "Don't Care"

Budget/Deficit - "What's a deficit?"   

Banning bump stocks - "Here you go Mr. ATF agent, I am turning in my gun parts" 

Respecting the Military - "All of those generals are libcucks, Trump knows more than all of them" 

Strong relationships with allies and global alliances - "Fuck NATO, Fuck EU, Fuck UN, we don't need none of them. Reagan and the Bushes were libcucks getting in with them" 

Law and Order - "Who cares if you lie to the FBI. Who cares if you laundered money. Who cares if you are an agent for a foreign advisory. Who cares about obstruction of justice. Who cares about witness tampering. NOTHING BURGERS. All we care about is what servers electronic messages are stored on. That is the only law that matters" 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Many of the Bernie Bros are trumpkins in liberal clothing.

Bernie primary -> Trump general election voters were not liberals. Bernie attracted new/swing voters in the Rust Belt, where he actually tried to campaign. When it came time for the general, Hillary ignored/alienated those voters and Trump went to them constantly to attract them.

If you think actual liberals with actual left values voted for Donald Trump in any meaningful numbers I have no clue what to tell you, because your brain isn't capable of reason. I'd ask for evidence, but you cannot possibly find any for a supposition that stupid.

6-12% of Bernie 2016 primary voters went to Trump in the general (Hillary lost)
23-25% of Hillary 2008 primary voters went to McCain in the general (Obama still won by a landslide)

It's easy, just go against what he said during campaign. He promised "law and order" (code for no immigration), "radical Islamic terrorism" (code for no Muslims in US and kill them outside US), "beautiful coal" (code for jobs for uneducated), and "Merry Christmas" (code for owning the liberals). All other activities, from tax breaks to Iran deal, are others getting their agenda taken care of. He is doing well according to him, though he doesn't know how incompetent he is in getting his stuff done. By fighting for wall, loosening the criteria for drone attacks and implementing Muslim ban, removing regulations, and praising MAGA hat wearing/torch wielding people, he thinks he doing an A+ job.

And his followers love it. They clearly see how faithful he is to his promises and any lack of success is purely due to the amount of obstacles from fake media, Democrats, and liberal deep state. Form their point of view, the issue is crystal clear. The only way Trump will lose his followers is if he abandons the promises he campaigned on (and not silly fantasies like turning democrat).

Edited by AeroHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie primary -> Trump general election voters were not liberals. Bernie attracted new/swing voters in the Rust Belt, where he actually tried to campaign. When it came time for the general, Hillary ignored/alienated those voters and Trump went to them constantly to attract them.

If you think actual liberals with actual left values voted for Donald Trump in any meaningful numbers I have no clue what to tell you, because your brain isn't capable of reason. I'd ask for evidence, but you cannot possibly find any for a supposition that stupid.

6-12% of Bernie 2016 primary voters went to Trump in the general (Hillary lost)
23-25% of Hillary 2008 primary voters went to McCain in the general (Obama still won by a landslide)

You’re missing my argument.

Not all democrats are liberals. Not all democrats are sophisticated enough to see the difference between a person and an idea.  The same vulnerabilities that created the trumpkins among republicans also exist among democrats.  If trump began treating republicans like he does democrats, that would appeal to a nihilistic segment of the democrats.

Nothing. Nothing will change them. They are willfully ignorant, and there is no motivation to engage in current events. Under Obama there was great joy in catching all of his gaffes and mistakes- lol teleprompter!! Black guy screwed up! Ignore the racist elements- it’s funny when the other team stumbles.
With Trump there is no motivation to pay attention. What admit the rich white guy is incompetent, crooked, stupid? That’s not funny.
Admit they were duped?. No fucking way.

The Trumptards I know are completely oblivious to anything that’s going on. Maybe a little Fox News if it’s on somewhere. They will continue to defend him to death with vague weak both sides bullshit, “at least he’s trying to do something*,” or “guns/ bortion.”

I know I talk to them regularly.
You hear them on NPR pieces. “Well I’m losing my farm but Mr. Trump feels we need to do this* so I will sacrifice for the country.”

*You never hear what “this” thing Trump is actually doing is. They have no fucking clue about anything and blindly trust him. Anything he does can be spun by one sentence rhetoric that they can actually consume.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If you want an actual 'turn', it would have to be that he funded a few abortions for his mistresses.  That's really the only line in the sand.

Dude, that ship sailed when the fundamentalists backed him. The cognitive dissonance between what they believe and what Trump stands for has been there since 2016, when they were cheering him on as Their Candidate, believing that if he took power, then they would gain power for their message.

I like your comparison with aggy, though, because that's the level of delusion we're dealing with.

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You’re missing my argument.

Not all democrats are liberals. Not all democrats are sophisticated enough to see the difference between a person and an idea.  The same vulnerabilities that created the trumpkins among republicans also exist among democrats.  If trump began treating republicans like he does democrats, that would appeal to a nihilistic segment of the democrats.

A "nihilistic segment of the democrats"? What are you even talking about?

Get caught on tape saying sexist, racist, or generally offensive comments to a large portion of the population. Oh wait, never mind.

Actively collaborate with a foreign government against the interest of the USA. Oh wait, never mind. 

Enrich himself and family at the expense of the USA. Oh wait, never mind. 

Engage in outright nepotism. Oh wait, never mind.

Actively obstruct justice. Oh wait, never mind.

Put kids in cages. Oh wait, never mind.

Enact policies and force a government shut down that craters the economy due to his ego. Oh wait, never mind.

Support white nationalist publicly and enact other overtly racist policies. Oh wait, never mind.

------

At this point if any and all of the above doesn't change their minds, I don't think we should have delusions that policies could be so offensive to turn his base.

• Like 1

If Jeb Bush had walked over to Donald and slapped him in the face and called him a prissy, Manhattan island bitch, Trump would've lost a huge chunk of his voters immediately. Trump won the Republican debates by swaggering past a bunch of cucks who let him do it.

We're not dealing with an intellectually complex voting base. A basic animalistic display of absolute dominance will flip plenty of switches.

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He could bend over the Resolute Desk and let Pelosi, Hillary, and AOC run a train on him with an 18” black strap-on.  I think that would cause some of his base to have second thoughts about supporting him.

Getting pegged to own the libs!!

33 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If Jeb Bush had walked over to Donald and slapped him in the face and called him a prissy, Manhattan island bitch, Trump would've lost a huge chunk of his voters immediately. Trump won the Republican debates by swaggering past a bunch of cucks who let him do it.

We're not dealing with an intellectually complex voting base. A basic animalistic display of absolute dominance will flip plenty of switches.

I just looked at Breitbart comments on the article about his cave.  His supporters are thinking he played it well, he has a plan, he learned to fake concern over the shut down affected workers, and that by restarting the government he set up the Dems for failure when they won't build a wall, making his next shut down their fault.

They say Mexico does not have to pay for it.  You have to build it or "our country will be lost."  (i.e., the Browns come in)   They say the poll numbers are fake news, and that Trump will win in 2020 because the Libs won't learn.   It's a great read.   It shows once again that being a Trump supporter is an affidavit of stupidity and gullibility and prejudice.   The Trump GOP now has a brand that is unequivocal.    It has to be tough for an actual intelligent GOP politician to have to play to those deplorable mouth breathers to stay in office.  But they do. 

Start twittering every day that this Q shit is fake, and there are no secret plans to round up and imprison/execute the Deep State.

Or that the Deep State doesn't exist.

People who hate Trump are going to say "that's what we've been saying all along, but we still loathe his orange ass".  Hard core #MAGA folks will start questioning things.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, Hank Kingsley said:

When you stand for nothing, you fall for everything. 

His base won't turn.

agree.  but his hard base is probably smaller than any of the numbers we are seeing.  there's a substantial part of his larger base that is pretty much rudderless and goes along with the wave.  his hard base needs to go away.