Books you'd like to see adapted to film (or limited series)

DDD Dad

What books would you like to see adapted to the screen?

I'd really like to see The Historian (epic Dracula novel) adapted.  Apparently when it was originally published, Sony bought the rights.  After doing some digging it appears that a screenplay may have been developed at some point over the last 10 years, but nothing appears to be in imminent development.

4 hours ago, bluto said:

a really grandiose and incredible WW1 movie is so very long overdue. 

Funny you mentioned that. I teach AP World History and AP European History and every year around this time I go on a rant about how there are no good WWI movies. We get plenty of WWII epics, but nothing from WWI, even though it is arguably more important from a world history perspective. My argument is that WWII has a built-in "Good Guy, Bad Guy" narrative. Everyone agrees that Nazis are bad (at least most people, no CR), but WWI is so much messier and doesn't lend itself to a simple movie narrative.

• Hook 'Em 1

After taking a swim through hardcore history podcast on WW1 I just kept thinking how mind blowing some of his descriptions/excerpts he found would be if put on a big screen. The sheer carnage and bloodshed mixed with the paradigm shift in war machinery/strategy to the bare knuckle evilness of gas... gives me goosebumps thinking about it. 

220px-Silmarillion.png

limited series, ONLY if it is done right. No additions to it and adapting it like they did the abortion that was The Hobbit. That shit was embarrassing and pathetic.

Probably only for the super nerds like me and over the top for most of today's viewing public, so maybe on Netflix?

Edited by Escapedgoat

5 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I would like this better as a series.  I never finished the second book, is it worth it?

I liked all three books, and yes a series would work for sure. I don’t want to spoil the books but you do get closure at the end. 

Dresden Files, though nothing the SyFy hatchet job in the early 00s. It probably would be better as a netflix show ala their Marvel defenders show... on second hand other than Daredevil I haven't been impressed with their attempts in that area ... Does FX want to get into the Fantasy game, get some grit, bite and humor mixed together like Justified? 

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (Been in development for years but nothing seems to come of it)

Ellroy's The Big Nowhere and White Jazz.  True Detective season 2 borrowed/stole rather liberally from The Big Nowhere but I'd like to see it get a full on adaptation.  While we're at it, I'd like to see someone do a Black Dahlia adaptation that isn't a steaming pile of vomit.

The First Law trilogy would make a good TV series. 

Agree that the era of HBO/Netflix series opens some possibilities for some previously 'unfilmables' like Blood Meridian and Confederacy of Dunces.
I wish World War Z had gotten that treatment, and would love to see a do-over.

Within the last year or two there were reports of someone trying to bring Isaac Asimov's Foundation to TV. I doubt that anyone can make that work but I'd watch and hope for their success. The Lije Baley and R.Daneel Olivaw novels would probably translate well to film.

I'm really surprised no one has ever brought Piers Anthony's Xanth novels to the big screen. There's a ton of material there, it's well suited for lots of CGI, I would think there would be a good audience for it. That series was like my Harry Potter when I was a kid and there were a lot more books in the catalog. Maybe all the puns wouldn't sell today but that could be fixed. (Personally, I loved all the puns.)

I think Robert Heinlein's Friday would make a good movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It would never work as a set of movies, but I'd still love it if they did a Wheel of Time TV run.  Though I don't know if that's really possible either.  Just so much to get through and unlike GoT where the magic is basically nil, you'd have to have a real budget for showing Rand and friends weaving spells. 

I thought I read awhile back they were trying to make a WoT show, but I guess that never panned out. 

Also, throw me in with the crowd that wants to see adaptations of Asimov's Foundation trilogy, Scalzi's Old Man's War, and Sanderson's Stormlight Archive. 

• Like 1

For the Xanth series, they could just set it mostly in Florida, that is crazy enough for a fantasy realm and is the mirror of Xanth. 

Not sure they could pull off a WoT series, too much magic involved. Same for The Belgariad and Mallorean series. Would like to see a series based off of Thomas Covenant. Think that would be a little easier to pull off.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Nobody has ever been able to turn this masterpiece into a 2 hour movie. But with the rise in one off, 10 episode serials, this would be perfect. 

51zP2kOP+CL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

In Patton Oswalt's "Silver Screen Fiend" he has a section where he imagines an alternate history where certain movies (that were either abandoned, turned disastrous, or no one tried) got made. He starts with Blood Meridian and A Confederacy of Dunces, which he notes that many people consider "unfilmable."  

You can read it on google books. Pages 171-172

4 hours ago, bamachine said:

For the Xanth series, they could just set it mostly in Florida, that is crazy enough for a fantasy realm and is the mirror of Xanth. 

Yeah, Florida resident Anthony didn't really try to hide it. The name of Lake Ogre-chobee wasn't a coincidence.