Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

you're not fat because you eat regular tortillas. You're fat because you eat 20 tortillas

This post is insane. You're mad at people for not sticking to YOUR diet? A diet in which you cant eat a regular tortilla. During a stress and anxiety inducing pandemic. yeah dude - it's totally BULLSHIT that people have decided to indulge in one of the only things that bring them happiness right now. Also, how is this "bullshit"? It's not like these people that you're in an imaginary competition with are getting an unfair advantage in the fake diet game you're playing against them. You apparently got fat enough during normal times without the additional stress and anxiety of a pandemic that you had to resort to eating low carb tortillas to lose weight. Cut some people some slack fatass. 

Yeah I have to say, his was a pretty bizarre rant even for surly. 

Sign o' the times I suppose.  I'm willing to cut him more slack, than he's willing to cut others, apparently.

And you can have my booze when you pry it from my cold, dead, corona-infested hands.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:50 PM, Chico_SA said:

Guilbeau staff starting to get that 1000-Yard stare.  Of course, many of them are new employees I think.  Lot's of new faces. 

Well. Now I know why things seemed odd when I was there yesterday afternoon. Employees were probably being told one of their own was diagnosed. Damn it! Guilbeau was one of the 3 stores announced today. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Chico_SA said:

Orale!

I made a short move across Braun 2 years ago and stopped going to the big one.  I love the Guilbeau store for the convenience of parking up front and getting out fast.  My sister is still a super HEB snob.  I'll hit it when I need something a little more "fancy".  Still cant get eggs at ours though. 

Phrasing.gif

i got some bread man sour dough and made a grilled cheese.  was the tites.

Yeah Breadman wasn’t some Covid Underbelly chicken tenders bullshit. He had a contract with them before all of this. I will say I wish they still carried the prepared Kiran’s stuff. It was really good.

2 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

It does not disappoint. Did not try the bbq. Store seems to have everything. Feel sorry for the parking lot cart wranglers. That hill to the back of the parking is steep for pushing 20 carts.

"Well, the world needs cart wranglers, too." -- Judge Smails

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Raw ready-to-cook corn tortillas. These are fantastic. Found somewhere in a refrigerated section.

febcd6e86d2bd2a5566184c7a164d417.jpg

These are freaking awesome. Been buying them for years. Once you start cooking with these, you will not go back.

Don’t take your eye off the pan, these tend to burn fast if you are heavy on the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally caught up and went and bought some of you guys' recommendations.  Culinary Cowgirl is all I've tried so far, the smoked bacon jalapeno poppers, but I got the plain too.   

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is their buttermilk pancake mix.  I have tried so many different box mixes and scratch recipes to get that light fluffy pancake and kept bombing.  But this stuff is easy and awesome.  Just mix with water.    The secret is to let the mixed batter stand at least 10 minutes at room temp before starting.  Then don't flip but once.  

I made the waffles too, but didn't go by their recipe.   Still was pretty good.  Especially with some blueberry syrup we made this year. 

TL;DR  H-E-B Buttermilk Complete Pancake & Waffle Mix - Shop Pancake ...

Anybody try the whataburger mix yet?

Whataburger Original Pancake Mix - Shop Pancake Mixes at H-E-B

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Finally caught up and went and bought some of you guys' recommendations.  Culinary Cowgirl is all I've tried so far, the smoked bacon jalapeno poppers, but I got the plain too.   

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is their buttermilk pancake mix.  I have tried so many different box mixes and scratch recipes to get that light fluffy pancake and kept bombing.  But this stuff is easy and awesome.  Just mix with water.    The secret is to let the mixed batter stand at least 10 minutes at room temp before starting.  Then don't flip but once.  

I made the waffles too, but didn't go by their recipe.   Still was pretty good.  Especially with some blueberry syrup we made this year. 

Try adding some sparkling water for more fluffy pancakes. I also like to add a dash of vanilla for taste.

28 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Yeah I was skeptical at first. But it's like a hamburger helper version of fideo - it is good fast meal. You can doctor it up as you see fit as well. 

Yeah, it’s Mexican hamburger helper. I added an onion, a can of Rotel, and a lot of cumin.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:27 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Their frozen knockoff Eggo waffles are actually pretty damn tasty.  The blueberry ones are better than any major brand I’ve had.   

On 7/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, Trey3216 said:

Their frozen knockoff Eggo waffles are actually pretty damn tasty.  The blueberry ones are better than any major brand I’ve had.   

Agree on the waffles.  We buy them by the 60pack. My kids probably eat too many waffles.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Post Oak said:

Tried their Swoon Ice Cream.  Pass. Creamy Creations was better

But did you try Swoon Key Lime Pie flavor?  It's their standout.

And if you wait until they have one of their frequent Swoon sales you can get a dollar knocked off the price, and usually there's a coupon hanging from the door for another dollar off.  Which they did again last week.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:21 AM, WBT said:

I don't get the concept of pancake mix.  Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, melted butter, buttermilk...what's so difficult?

You forgot the vanilla, brown sugar and smashed up bananas (unless you want to skip that and do a fruit compote). 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, Trey3216 said:

And at $1.29 for a 10-pack, economical.  Also 190 calories for two waffles.  Slather some peanut butter on 'em, and you got yourself a somewhat healthy, cheap breakfast.

• Like 1