Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

I hope those are better than their regular bagged frijoles -- they were bland as hell.
I'm a bigger fan of the La Sierra canned refrieds.  Add some bacon grease to the pan, dump in the can, maybe a splash of water and a dash of salt as they sizzle and heat up, and they're MI-T-FINE.

This is pretty much my go to for refries beans at home too. Their canned Charro beans aren’t bad in a pinch either.

Cross posted from the honey thread, this stuff is legit, and I prefer to other local brands that I have tried including, Good Flow, Round Rock, Stoope's, Nature Nates, and Desert Creek.  I have only tried the Central Texas version, but they also offer North Texas, Rio Grande Valley, West Texas Plains, and Texas Gulf Coast varieties.

Central Market Central Texas Honey, 16 oz

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 4:55 PM, DougO said:

HEB was nuts this afternoon. Never seen it so crowded, not pre Christmas, New Years, Fourth Of July or early pandemic. People getting loaded up to hunker down for Polar Vortex 2021 Armageddon.

I stopped in the Hancock HEB midday yesterday (~3PM). Do not know what the fuck I was thinking. Line for teller checkout started in produce and circled the entire goddamn perimeter of the store before snaking through an aisle or two. The self checkout line probably took me a little less than 10 minutes. Plenty of shit on the shelves, but too many stupid people. Was not one of my better planned trips. 

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

I only go to my local Kroger in a pinch and it's always fully stocked because it sucks and everyone goes to HEB instead.

It's nice to have in situations like this though.

honestly, my neighborhood kroger is pretty nice inside. from the outside the building and parking lot are creepy as hell. many people have been robbed in that parking lot at night. it's perfect for a quick stop to pick up a couple of items. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

tried to go to heights/washington HEB yesterday and the line to get in the parking garage was all the way down the ramp and into the street.  fuck no to that.  went to bunker hill HEB after getting a case of shiner at costco earlier today and parked next to the gas station.  store was pretty well packed but they've put in a huge self checkout corral there so fast enough.  helps that i didn't go past the produce and meat departments.  

In case you have your 4WD, tank, or bulldozer warmed up and are thinking about going to HEB, here you go - some closings today:

Grocery store chain H-E-B announced new temporary hours of noon to 5 p.m. Thursday as well as which of its stores will be closed entirely Thursday. Those stores that will be closed include:

• #236 A7 – Wells Branch & 1825
  • #236 A7 – Wells Branch & 1825
  • #045 A8 – Congress & Oltorf
  • #265 A14 – FM 1431 & 183
  • #659 A16 – Hwy 183 & Lakeline
  • #269 A17 – 183 & Braker
  • #388 A20 – Parmer & McNeil
  • #451 A24 – 620 & 2222
  • #476 A25 – Parmer & I35
  • #091 A12 – Riverside & S. Pleasant
  • #183 A15 – Lamar & Rundberg
  • Kyle
  • Luling
  • Leander
  • Kingsland
  • Elgin

H-E-B also announced hours of operation for its Central Market stores in Central Texas:

• Austin’s North Lamar store will be open from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Thursday and from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. on Friday
  • Austin’s Westgate store will be closed Thursday. No decision has been made yet for Friday

Went to the HEEB (HEB on Far West) today. Got in line at 11:15 for a noon opening. First group went in at 11:30, my group went in at 11:45.

Guy out front said they hadn’t had a delivery since Friday.

Wasn’t ANY produce. Quite a bit of beef. No chicken. No real milk products but plenty of coconut, oat, soy etc. No regular eggs but lots of organic farm raised at $10/18 pack. Bread aisle was completely bare.

I would have been ecstatic if I could have grabbed a half gallon of 1/2 and 1/2 but overall I was thankful for what I got.

If you don't want to fuck around with people and lines, Hardie's is still doing their $20 produce boxes they started doing a year ago.  You can add other products (meat, dairy, pantry) to your order and do curbside pick up tomorrow at their Burnet Road warehouse.  I verified by phone that they're open and stocked.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:23 PM, WBT said:

Recommend me a new swoon ice cream flavor.  I've had the key lime pie and caramel chocolate cheesecake.  Both slammed, went hard, etc.

the blueberry crumble is fantastic, don't remember who but someone here rec'd it to me before and it is great

I just swung by the Hancock HEB about an hour ago. 5 minute wait to get in. Place was fucking picked over, but they were starting to restock. Produce was insanely empty, bakery and deli werent really operational. Certain aisles like bread, chips etc.. were barren. HEB is so good at what they do, it will somehow be fully restocked in a couple of days. WIsh I could buy stock in that company. 

Anyone care to guess how long before HEB starts getting trucks in, and back to a sense of normalcy?  Seems like after this weekend they should be in better shape.

Went to the Allandale H‑E‑B today and a worker said they expect a truck for Sunday morning opening. They haven’t had a truck since last Friday.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, Blotto said:

I just swung by the Hancock HEB about an hour ago. 5 minute wait to get in. Place was fucking picked over, but they were starting to restock. Produce was insanely empty, bakery and deli werent really operational. Certain aisles like bread, chips etc.. were barren. HEB is so good at what they do, it will somehow be fully restocked in a couple of days. WIsh I could buy stock in that company. 

I may retire and go to work for H-E-B just so I can buy stock in the company.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I went to the one off of Riverside around 3:30 yesterday. They were out of meat, dairy, and frozen foods, but they had produce and their shelves were pretty well-stocked with most other items. No lines either so I was in and out quicker than I expected. Should have more than enough to hold me over until things settle down a bit.

What collective bunch of badasses! 

They’ve got it going on.

I sweatergawd, if I was governor, I long ago would have created a special commission on disaster preparedness and response (fuck the Texas Department of Emergency Management) that not only partners with private enterprises like HEB, but actually fucking LISTENS TO AND LEARNS FROM THEM.

HEB is super profitable. Repubs should love that. Yet it ALSO gives a shit, and helps people (so, human beings should love that).

God, that’s what pisses me off the most. Profits and the common good are NOT incompatible. In fact, when you take care of the common good, profits follow even more freely. Being good is good business.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They’ve got it going on.

I sweatergawd, if I was governor, I long ago would have created a special commission on disaster preparedness and response (fuck the Texas Department of Emergency Management) that not only partners with private enterprises like HEB, but actually fucking LISTENS TO AND LEARNS FROM THEM.

HEB is super profitable. Free market types should love that. Yet it ALSO gives a shit, and helps people (so, all other human beings should love that).

God, that’s what pisses me off the most. Profits and the common good are NOT incompatible. In fact, when you take care of the common good, profits follow even more freely. Being good is good business. HEB is an archetype of that.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’ve got it going on.

HEB is super profitable. Repubs should love that. Yet it ALSO gives a shit, and helps people (so, human beings should love that).

God, that’s what pisses me off the most. Profits and the common good are NOT incompatible. In fact, when you take care of the common good, profits follow even more freely. Being good is good business.

I love how this had to devolve into a Repub bashing session again.  I can’t wait to see how much the bastions of profit and Repub ideology  like Apple help out Texans.   

but you’re correct, profits and compassion aren’t incompatible.  And it’s one reason why people are so loyal to H-E-B and one reason why they make money hand over fist.  

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

ill tell the story again - after Harvey, HEB beat every federal and state agency back into Victoria. 3 meals a day (free for all), ice and water and a mobile pharmacy. full clean up teams to get both stores cleaned out, up and running as soon as possible. they even had some one in the HEBuddy outfit for the kids. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/02/19/texas-heb-lost-power/

Tim Hennessy remembers a “collective groan” on Tuesday as the lights went out in his local grocery store in Texas. He and his wife quickly grabbed their last items and pulled up to a checkout line 20 carts deep.

Around him were a couple hundred shoppers, some with only credit cards, trying to stock up during a statewide emergency. The power had been going on and off in this Austin suburb as cold weather overwhelmed the Texas grid. But no one told shoppers to put their items back if they couldn’t pay cash.

When Hennessy got to the cashier, he said, she just waved him on, thanked him and told him to drive home safely.

“And it hit us — like, wow, they’re just letting us walk out the door,” the 60-year-old man recounted. Ahead of him, shoppers were pushing carts piled high with diapers, milk, jumbo boxes of crackers — all free. He began to tear up.

The show of kindness this week at the H-E-B grocery store in Leander, Tex., has gone viral, a bright spot in a crushing week for Americans weathering a deadly winter storm that left people scrambling for food and clean water after mass power outages. Hennessy’s Facebook post about the episode exploded, and a Friday op-ed in the Houston Chronicle contrasted the generosity in Leander with authorities’ failures: “Why H-E-B comes through in a crisis when Texas government doesn’t,” the headline read.

• Hook 'Em 1