Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

True Texas BBQ with a bar is surprisingly pretty good. I've dropped in for a couple of pints of beer and brisket several times and it's pretty damn good when you consider the fact that it's a grocery store run restaurant and bar.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m not paying to read that article. Where is it going to be?

• The Frisco H-E-B store will be built on the northeast corner of Legacy Drive and Main Street on land the company bought in 2016. The site is a mile east of a Kroger on Main.
  • The Plano store will be on land H-E-B has owned since 2012 at the southwest corner of Preston Road and Spring Creek Parkway. That location is about 5 miles from the company’s Central Market store in Plano.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m down for it. The local DFW grocery scene is pretty sad. No Texas grocers outside of Whole Foods and Central Market. I don’t count Market Street since they are owned by Albertsons.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, HiggyBaby said:

I’m down for it. The local DFW grocery scene is pretty sad. No Texas grocers outside of Whole Foods and Central Market. I don’t count Market Street since they are owned by Albertsons.

Certainly these stores will be HEB Plus concepts.   You won’t be disappointed either way.  Even many of their new stores which are not Plus stores have many of the same amenities as the Plus stores.   

I’ve been to what are considered the flagship grocery stores in few  states even in zip codes which are more affluent where you would expect those stores to have their latest concepts and they even lack to what HEB has in a typical middle class zip in Texas or in small town Texas.  The HEB in Kennedy, Hondo and Pleasanton puts some of the Publix in Orlando and Jacksonville to shame that I’ve visited.  

All I can say is that I would rather spend every dime at HEB, than steer ANY of it to fucking Sam's club.  

The genius of HEB is that they want to dominate their own stores with their branded items.  Basically a 60% HEB branded, and 40% outside brands.  So what HEB does is get the same manufacturers that want to REMAIN in that 40% brand space to work with HEB and rebrand their existing products (maybe slightly different cut in eats for example) at a price that HEB basically almost dictates.  IF you do not want to be cooperative in the branded arena... then likely bye-bye to the shelf space you have in the 40% competitive category.

The only reason I know so much about this is my BIL has been selling into HEB for a couple decades.  It's actually pretty interesting, and more than that it's fucking smart as shit.

I am driving a friend to Austin in the near future and am thinking with the free time I will have to stop at a Central Market since our area doesn't have one.

Any recs on must haves? I am making a little list of hard to find ingredients, but if anyone has suggestions for food items, if it's something I know I can't get locally then I may throw it in the cart.

I've seen some ideas above, and I may look at the hot sauces, but I'm not looking to own twenty like some of you all. I cook a fair bit of Italian cuisine so any advice on products you like would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am driving a friend to Austin in the near future and am thinking with the free time I will have to stop at a Central Market since our area doesn't have one.

Any recs on must haves? I am making a little list of hard to find ingredients, but if anyone has suggestions for food items, if it's something I know I can't get locally then I may throw it in the cart.

I've seen some ideas above, and I may look at the hot sauces, but I'm not looking to own twenty like some of you all. I cook a fair bit of Italian cuisine so any advice on products you like would be much appreciated.

Not sure how small a town you are coming from. But in the theme of Italian and Central market, they have a lot of higher end dry pastas that really do taste much better, they also have fresh pasta in the deli section that is pretty good. They have a few Risotto's that I like (will try to find a pic of the brand). Really good canned tomatoes. 

43 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Not sure how small a town you are coming from. But in the theme of Italian and Central market, they have a lot of higher end dry pastas that really do taste much better, they also have fresh pasta in the deli section that is pretty good. They have a few Risotto's that I like (will try to find a pic of the brand). Really good canned tomatoes. 

Thank you! That's what I'm keeping my eye out for.

You’ll spend $500+ if you’ve never been before.

Beer, wine, cheese, snacks, dry goods, all kinds of good finds in there.

Don’t skip the bulk spices. Easily the best value around. You can get 20x the amount of any given spice for what one of the jarred McCormick spices cost.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’ll spend $500+ if you’ve never been before.

Beer, wine, cheese, snacks, dry goods, all kinds of good finds in there.

Don’t skip the bulk spices. Easily the best value around. You can get 20x the amount of any given spice for what one of the jarred McCormick spices cost.

Now you're scaring me a little, haha. I will budget accordingly. It just seemed like an opportunity that was too good to pass up, and since I'm vaccinated (will bring mask of course) I was looking forward to just getting out for the drive and the outing. Am putting a cooler in the back so I can load up if necessary.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Now you're scaring me a little, haha. I will budget accordingly. It just seemed like an opportunity that was too good to pass up, and since I'm vaccinated (will bring mask of course) I was looking forward to just getting out for the drive and the outing. Am putting a cooler in the back so I can load up if necessary.

oh in that case you can have a lot of fun in that store. 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Has anyone tried the MI Tienda  ready to cook flour tortillas? 

They are fucking fantastic 

image.jpeg.c8df58741f8851c89f629e55900f98b5.jpeg

These plus a bag of pre-marinated al pastor, a couple of avocados, a bag of that electric green thick salsa from the Valley, some limes and queso blanco, and that is all I will eat for two or three straight days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

Thank Christ. I don't give a shit that I'll be driving 40 minutes to get to the Plano location, it's well worth it. As it stands right now, I'm bringing a couple coolers with me and loading up every time I visit family in SA and it's less than ideal. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:47 AM, Jameslaw121 said:

On 3/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jive Turkey said:

finally.  they've been talking about this forever.  i'll make some trips up to Plano to shop at a good old fashioned normal HEB.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, Jameslaw121 said:
  • The Frisco H-E-B store will be built on the northeast corner of Legacy Drive and Main Street on land the company bought in 2016. The site is a mile east of a Kroger on Main.
  • The Plano store will be on land H-E-B has owned since 2012 at the southwest corner of Preston Road and Spring Creek Parkway. That location is about 5 miles from the company’s Central Market store in Plano.

spacer.png

It's about damn time. DFW has been so starved for a decent grocery store; their first two months are going to be stupid busy. There are two Krogers within two miles of my house, but I'll drive the 20 or so minutes out of my way or make an extra stop on my way home for a real HEB (no offense, Central Market). 

Edited by Dutch

On 3/26/2021 at 12:15 PM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Has anyone tried the MI Tienda  ready to cook flour tortillas? 

They are fucking fantastic 

image.jpeg.c8df58741f8851c89f629e55900f98b5.jpeg

I started on those after Covid and HEBs bakery wasn't producing their in store tortillas.  

I've got 3packs frozen in the deep freeze as well as the corn tortillas (not as good imo).

I threw them on the Blackstone during the ice storm.  We survived on breakfast tacos and fajitas.

Good livin' 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

French sheep feta. Might have to go to Phoenicia up the block if they don’t have it. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip; I'll have to make a return trip. It was glorious, if you can call visiting a grocery store that. I'm easily amused with simple things, however.

The meat and fish counter were amazing. It's probably a good thing that I don't live near one of those because it's a little dear for regular shopping, but whoooo boy it was fun. I stayed under budget, but did pick up a few hard to find items for the recipes I am making.

• 5 weeks later...

Which one of you assholes is hoarding up the supply of Diet Wild Red 12 pack cans? It's pissing me off. Haven't scored them in about six weeks. I can only snag a 2L bottle every once in a while if I'm lucky. I don't think I've ever seen them stocked in the 20oz bottle packs.

Edited by DougO