Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

On 6/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Seasoned pork ribeyes are my meat value champion right now. $6 for 5 pretty good size cuts. Au gratin potatoes. Bag of fresh green beans. Out the door for under $10 to feed 3-4 people. 

Been buying these a lot lately too. Great value.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, DougO said:

Team Meal Simple here. Salmon has been my goto. This week I tried a couple of their Low Carb Lifestyle chicken dishes, they are good as hell. 

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-chicken-breast-in-bacon-alfredo-sauce-nbsp-with-garlic-parmesan-spaghetti-squash/5204514

That's one of my go-to dinners when I don't have time to deal with meal prep. Damn good. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Seasoned pork ribeyes are my meat value champion right now. $6 for 5 pretty good size cuts. Au gratin potatoes. Bag of fresh green beans. Out the door for under $10 to feed 3-4 people. 

I really like the "Texas Ribeye" pork cuts. I sear them hot in a pan with some peppers and onion, maybe some cherry tomato, to about 115 degrees, then turn the heat to low and put a lid on it to finish. They come out really tender, sliced up they are great for tacos with low carb tortillas. Sometimes I improvise a little slight glaze of a sauce on them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

My HEB has been getting remodeled for the the last several months.  It has been a fucking mess with having no clue where stuff will be from week to week.  I swear whoever was in charge of the store layout during the construction was just trying to fuck with people.  Canned beans in 2 different ends of the store, putting oatmeal on an aisle with kitchen wares, shit like that.   But I can finally see the end of the tunnel.  The new bakery is getting close to being fully armed and operational and the seafood counter should be next.

Parmer and Mopac has been a cluster fuck for over a year. Can’t find shit. App no help. 

On 6/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, kevwun said:

My HEB has been getting remodeled for the the last several months.  It has been a fucking mess with having no clue where stuff will be from week to week.  I swear whoever was in charge of the store layout during the construction was just trying to fuck with people.  Canned beans in 2 different ends of the store, putting oatmeal on an aisle with kitchen wares, shit like that.   But I can finally see the end of the tunnel.  The new bakery is getting close to being fully armed and operational and the seafood counter should be next.

Hell is a grocery store reorganizing where everything is. Happened at my store on William Cannon and Brodie a few years back and it took me probably 4 months to learn where all of my shit was now located.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, kevwun said:

Braker HEB?

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Hell is a grocery store reorganizing where everything is. Happened at my store on William Cannon and Brodie a few years back and it took me probably 4 months to learn where all of my shit was now located.

I switched HEBs once when that happened. 

Edited by hornian

It’s worse than that because they take forever to reset these stores. So this week mustard is by the hairspray, next week it’s in the dog food aisle. Fucking close for two weeks and get er done.

The Walmart market near me has been being remodeled longer than they’ve been working in US75. My Aldi closed for a month or two, expanded, reopened.

They do that intentionally every so often so you have to redo your routine and go down all the aisles again you previously had been skipping. It’s dumb but every grocery store does it. I would rather they set it up so heavier items like canned goods were before things like bread and chips so you’re not constantly having to  move things around to make it all work, but it’s whatever, I do pickups and don’t even go in anymore (even before Covid).

13 hours ago, irishtexan said:

That’s an established practice in the grocery business. You can’t get away from it. I had a friend who worked at a Safeway when he was young and he told me that there’s a term for it but I can’t recall what it was. But basically they want to force you to search the aisles so maybe you’ll buy stuff that you wouldn’t see if you were allowed to just stick to your old routine.

Grocering is a pretty shady business with different companies competing for shelf space, some distributors owning their own displays at the end of an aisle, and stores introducing their own brands. You know there have to be some kickbacks involved. Somewhere I’ve got a document where I kept track of products that Giant Eagle used to carry, then stopped carrying, and then started carrying again months or sometimes years later. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s an established practice in the grocery business. You can’t get away from it. I had a friend who worked at a Safeway when he was young and he told me that there’s a term for it but I can’t recall what it was. But basically they want to force you to search the aisles so maybe you’ll buy stuff that you wouldn’t see if you were allowed to just stick to your old routine.

Grocering is a pretty shady business with different companies competing for shelf space, some distributors owning their own displays at the end of an aisle, and stores introducing their own brands. You know there have to be some kickbacks involved. Somewhere I’ve got a document where I kept track of products that Giant Eagle used to carry, then stopped carrying, and then started carrying again months or sometimes years later. 

You have a “document” where you personally kept track of discontinued and reinstated grocery store items?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, deadshank said:

You have a “document” where you personally kept track of discontinued and reinstated grocery store items?

Yeah, just a Word doc where I started trying to keep track of those things just out of curiosity. It started out by just noting products they used to carry but didn’t anymore and then evolved into noting when they started carrying them again. I think it started when they suddenly stopped carrying Bridgford brand pepperoni. It was at least a couple years before they started carrying it again. The pandemic sort of threw that all into disarray. But it was an interesting study even if I never knew what was going on behind the scenes.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

I've been sticking to the saying of "don't go down any aisles unless you absolutely have to.  All the shitty food is in the aisles".  Only thing I go down aisles for is bread/tortillas, salsa/hot sauce, rice, and beans. Having a 6 year old makes this saying tough to accomplish.  I mostly just stick to the outside rim of the store.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I've been sticking to the saying of "don't go down any aisles unless you absolutely have to.  All the shitty food is in the aisles".  Only thing I go down aisles for is bread/tortillas, salsa/hot sauce, rice, and beans. Having a 6 year old makes this saying tough to accomplish.  I mostly just stick to the outside rim of the store.

Yeah, that’s the layout. The natural food is around the rim, the processed food is in the middle. “Natural” being a little fuzzy because it still includes your deli meat. But your produce and meats and seafood and dairy, and the bakery which can be debatable about how “natural” that is, are always around the perimeter. Usually essentials will be placed far apart so you have to pass by a lot of other options in order to get to them.

If you haven’t read this then you should (The Omnivore’s Dilemma is good too):

ECA84F4D-C56A-4FF7-91D6-4E4D3E411391.png.dbceeaa5b1409de89695c1220214c62a.png

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, that’s the layout. The natural food is around the rim, the processed food is in the middle. “Natural” being a little fuzzy because it still includes your deli meat. But your produce and meats and seafood and dairy, and the bakery which can be debatable about how “natural” that is, are always around the perimeter.

Do you have an interactive map that integrates with your “document?”

I want to subscribe to your newsletter. 

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Do you have an interactive map that integrates with your “document?”

I want to subscribe to your newsletter. 

If you want to mock me then you should do so by criticizing me for being lazy and not keeping a daily journal or documenting more things than I do. I keep notes on a lot of things but I’m still pretty half-assed about it. I wish I had more discipline. You’ll never make me feel bad about writing shit down. That just makes you look stupid. 

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you want to mock me then you should do so by criticizing me for being lazy and not keeping a daily journal or documenting more things than I do. I keep notes on a lot of things but I’m still pretty half-assed about it. I wish I had more discipline. You’ll never make me feel bad about writing shit down. That just makes you look stupid. 

Don’t be so thin-skinned.   Just yucking it up. 

Laugh a little. 

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

In class? Yes. At the grocery store on discontinued products from an obscure brand? No. Because that's something only a psychopath does.

Your education shouldn’t stop after you leave school. I’ve also kept documents about various other products from tortilla chips to cigars. I wish I knew more about wine but that journal has languished. You should see my folder of bookmarks about NCAA football. You’re not going to shame me about trying to be informed. You’re only going to look foolish. 

2 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

image.png.d88cc589cfab6951d092ba185e66ff3e.png

Not my favorite.  Too much oil.  I prefer Laura Scudders, which has been in short supply at my local store.

I bought a jar of HEB crunchy PB a while back with a coupon thing (I'm not a heavy pb consumer), but I thought it was quite good.

15 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Whatthebuck takes any visitor he gets down to his secret grocery store document room and tracking center to explain to them all of his conspiracy theories like

Do your worst. You will not shame me into thinking it’s wrong to take notes to learn more about any subject however trivial you think it might be.

I think those criticizing me are probably all C students. The “C’s get degrees” crowd.

Hell, I’ve gone farther than just keeping notes. I’ve made phone calls. My favorite French onion dip is Yoder’s brand. They make the best sour cream too. Since the pandemic, Giant Eagle has stopped carrying it. (They still carry their horseradish, though, which is also my horseradish of choice but that’s just weird). Anyway, I looked up Yoder’s online and couldn’t find who makes it but I found that they were distributed by some company in Michigan. I made some calls to Giant Eagle customer service and was told that all the Yoder’s French onion dip is currently being sent to Pennsylvania. Wtf?

Don’t parade your intellectual incuriosity as if it’s some sort of virtue. It’s not. It just makes you look lazy and stupid. Like I said, I think I do a pretty lazy and half-assed job of documenting things and here are people giving me shit for doing as much as I do. It doesn’t reflect well on you at all.

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, DougO said:

I'm probably a major factor on that list. I'm convinced they track my purchases from all stores. Every time I find something I really like and make it a regular thing it gets discontinued.

The struggle is real.