Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

What I'd give for a portal to an HEB right now.  We are in NJ for this week and I was going to make street tacos for family and my son's in-laws tonight.  Went to 3 different grocery stores and not one f'ing bag of corn tortillas.  Big ones, little ones, none of em... and I'm no abuelita, so no, I'm not gonna attempt knocking some out on my own.  LOLz.

Meat counter also had about 30 varieties of italian sausage.  Not a skirt steak or carna picada to be found.  I was down to buying 2 pounds of 'shaved steak' that they use for a cheese steak or Italian beef sandwich.  I don't think my tacos would have turned out good at all, so I called the game, so-to-speak.

The Italian food is unbelievable and different ethnic foods are awesome.  I'd struggle like a mofo if I couldn't get a bag of real tortillas every other week or so, though.

Edited by slorch

Yeah, I've had tricked up/ kickass bagels the past 3 mornings.

I told them this morning they suck in comparison with kolaches and breakfast tacos.  Fuck your chewy ass bread.

The breakfast tacos comment spawned the "Well make us some tacos then..." objective.

Edited by slorch

What I'd give for a portal to an HEB right now.  We are in NJ for this week and I was going to make street tacos for family and my son's in-laws tonight.  Went to 3 different grocery stores and not one f'ing bag of corn tortillas.  Big ones, little ones, none of em... and I'm no abuelita, so no, I'm not gonna attempt knocking some out on my own.  LOLz.
Meat counter also had about 30 varieties of italian sausage.  Not a skirt steak or carna picada to be found.  I was down to buying 2 pounds of 'shaved steak' that they use for a cheese steak or Italian beef sandwich.  I don't think my tacos would have turned out good at all, so I called the game, so-to-speak.
The Italian food is unbelievable and different ethnic foods are awesome.  I'd struggle like a mofo if I couldn't get a bag of real tortillas every other week or so, though.

Having lived much of my life as a misplaced Texan, rejoice in the internet and the ability to order all that you need online. I have lived places with similar lack of tortillas, of jalapeños and okra in the specialty section like a fucking durian, and no shrimp available except Asian Tiger sewer shrimp.

22 hours ago, slorch said:

Yeah, I've had tricked up/ kickass bagels the past 3 mornings.

I told them this morning they suck in comparison with kolaches and breakfast tacos.  Fuck your chewy ass bread.

The breakfast tacos comment spawned the "Well make us some tacos then..." objective.

I get that.

But they asked you to do something with both hands tied behind your back.  Regional cuisines are regional because of the availability of ingredients.  That was kind of on you for accepting this challenge knowing you weren't going to find what you needed in a place where Italian reigns supreme. 

23 hours ago, slorch said:

type 'mexican market' into google maps and you'll surely find something within driving distance

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 4:59 PM, williemackgarza said:

Tried this with the heb uncooked corn torts, onion, cilantro and limes.
Hit pretty great.

How did you cook them? Cast iron skillet? Picked some up and brought back to Dallas and going to cook on Sunday. We love pastor tacos and will add some fresh pineapple when we cook them. 

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Here to just bask in what is coming to Plano, and right near me in Prosper soon. Construction is coming along, I can't fucking wait. It has been way too long since HEB has been a part of my life. 

Be sure to double check those store hours !!

• Hook 'Em 1

We don’t do mixes either, but we do “hatch” so took the bait.

It’s all right. Not as much heat as we typically like in our spicy margaritas so I amended it.

Bonus for reading this post…my big batch recipe modified from a Southwest Airlines in flight magazine recipe:

30 oz. Tequila ( infused)(either your own jalapeño infused or Dolce Vida Jalapeño and Pineapple)
5 oz. Ancho Reyes Verde
5 oz. Cointreau
10 oz. Lime Juice
5 oz. Lemon Juice
5 oz. Orange Juice
5 oz. Jalapeño infused agave nectar*
20+ Dashes of spicy bitters

*Jalapeño infused agave nectar: equal parts agave nectar and jalapeño infused water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

I get that.
But they asked you to do something with both hands tied behind your back.  Regional cuisines are regional because of the availability of ingredients.  That was kind of on you for accepting this challenge knowing you weren't going to find what you needed in a place where Italian reigns supreme. 

Also, it’s impossible to believe there aren’t tortillas in New Jersey. There are Mexicans everywhere. Tortillas are ubiquitous. You can find tortillas in Alaska.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Also, it’s impossible to believe there aren’t tortillas in New Jersey. There are Mexicans everywhere. Tortillas are ubiquitous. You can find tortillas in Alaska.

Literally everywhere. I’ve found decent tortillas in Europe. The only place where I couldn’t get anything decent was the USVI. Every store only carried Old El Paso tortillas which are terrible.

There are tortillerias in Northern Jersey and Shop Rite/ Stop and Shop/ Wegmans all have tons of tortillas throughout the entire state. He must be someone isolated close to the southern Jersey Shore.

H‑E‑Bs are opening in the Northern Metroplex but avoiding Dallas proper for now. Even Forney is getting a store.

17 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Bob’s are still available?

Elementary school lunch dream line up for me: Bob’s jalapeño chips, sour power, and a wild cherry clearly Canadian.

IIRC, Utz bought the brand and holds the rights but discontinued them.

Last time I saw some was about 5 years ago at the now closed Zip In convenience store on Shoal Creek Blvd.  

• 3 weeks later...
How did you cook them? Cast iron skillet? Picked some up and brought back to Dallas and going to cook on Sunday. We love pastor tacos and will add some fresh pineapple when we cook them. 

Sorry man just saw this.
Yes cast iron skillet. Added some pinespple chunks to give it more authentic flavor. But didnt serve the chunks in the tacos.

On 8/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, irishtexan said:

they had tortillas.  Not corn tortillas.

I'm not gonna trot flour tortillas out there and say, "These are how street tacos are in Texas."  Yeah, fuck that.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, Stunns38 said:

There are tortillerias in Northern Jersey and Shop Rite/ Stop and Shop/ Wegmans all have tons of tortillas throughout the entire state. He must be someone isolated close to the southern Jersey Shore.

H‑E‑Bs are opening in the Northern Metroplex but avoiding Dallas proper for now. Even Forney is getting a store.

I went to two ShopRites and a Wegman's in the West Caldwell area( burbs just west of the City)

Y'all act like I'm unfamiliar with the industry or some shit...

They had multiple varieties of flour tortillas.  None of them had the large or small soft corn tortillas that we find on the regular in Texas.

No I wasn't on the Shore.  LOLz.

Great bread improves everything. I started buying these frozen loaves for sandwiches and I now keep a stock of them in the freezer. I’ve pretty much given up on regular bread. There are two personal size loaves per bag. They’re fresh out of the oven in about the time it takes to prep everything else. They’re very crusty on the outside with a soft interior. They blow away the baguettes in the regular H‑E‑B bakery.

5d814f4d2177a4c5dda77cd4eb7a72c6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2