Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

11 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Don't hold your breath. The Randalls that sat at Wm Cannon/Mopac for 20+ years, 1 mile from the Brodie HEB, is now a Hobby Lobby.

I don't think that's a particularly analogous example. That Randall's had the HEB down the street plus a whole foods and Costco directly across the street. There is no way that the Lake Austin HEB takes 100% of the Tarrytown market share with all of the olds and housewives that live at the Casis Randall's. I'd imagine most of their business is customers grabbing a few things because it's convenient. A big HEB a couple miles down the street doesn't strike me as a substitute. 

As shitty as we all know Randall's is. 

Edited by ztejas

On 12/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Screenshot_20221218_154813_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98cff1a6e4ac04029d04c2b1a9ff47a4.jpg

We're going through 2 or 3 of these a week right now. Damn good and the whole thing is 420 calories with 60g of protein.

When I don't have time to cook, I slice up half of one of these, and throw it in with some Blue Runner red beans and minute rice and add some Louisiana Hot Sauce. It's not bad considering the whole process takes about 5 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Those sausages are money. Way better than the Ekrich or Butterball ones.  At least once a week I cut up 1/2 of one of those and cook it in the skillet. Throw a bag of cauliflower rice into the microwave, then add it to the skillet, add red chili flakes and garlic, mix well. Top w/ about 2/3 bag of chopped spinach (cooked/drained) w/ some lemon juice.  Quick and easy, filling, healthy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has your local HEB become like Wally Mart as far as lack of human operated check out lanes?     My usual go to is a smaller store and it has 15 check out lanes and off to the side it has eight self checkouts for 15 items or less.  I stopped by about 10;00 AM yesterday for a couple of things and it's typical busy for a Tuesday and they only had four or five human operated check out lanes open and the line for each one was four of five carts long.     What's going on?

And kind of related, but grocery pickup thing is starting to get on my nerves at least at this same HEB.   Maybe it's because it's an older store and they've tried to bring in stuff they usually offer at the Plus and much larger stores.  But dang it's rough to navigate some of the isles with these personal shoppers on every isle with one of those large blue cart things.  This on top of trying to navigate around the olds who are like a dime a dozen with the electric sit down carts.

22 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Has your local HEB become like Wally Mart as far as lack of human operated check out lanes?     My usual go to is a smaller store and it has 15 check out lanes and off to the side it has eight self checkouts for 15 items or less.  I stopped by about 10;00 AM yesterday for a couple of things and it's typical busy for a Tuesday and they only had four or five human operated check out lanes open and the line for each one was four of five carts long.     What's going on?

And kind of related, but grocery pickup thing is starting to get on my nerves at least at this same HEB.   Maybe it's because it's an older store and they've tried to bring in stuff they usually offer at the Plus and much larger stores.  But dang it's rough to navigate some of the isles with these personal shoppers on every isle with one of those large blue cart things.  This on top of trying to navigate around the olds who are like a dime a dozen with the electric sit down carts.

The personal shoppers are getting out of control and making for a much worse experience. Those giant ass carts are everywhere, blocking shelves and just a general nuisance.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

You know dogs eat shit and grass right?  Does their palate really taste bbq brisket flavor?  

Have you never had a dog?  It took mine about 3 different types of food when he was a puppy to find one he would eat.  To this day there are some treats he won't touch.

But he goes ape shit whenever we cook chicken or turkey.  Or salmon.  He LOVES salmon skin.

Yes, he loves eating deer poop in the yard, but he's also a lover of the finer things.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, pacmanmakesitrain said:

The personal shoppers are getting out of control and making for a much worse experience. Those giant ass carts are everywhere, blocking shelves and just a general nuisance.

Personal shoppers are, at worst, a zero sum game.  Without them, you’d have at least 1 clueless shopper taking their place. More likely it’s a family, aimlessly wandering, creating even more congestion and longer lines at the checkout. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

So 15.5 lbs at $32/lb.  That's a $500 bag of dog food!

LOL!  That's about how much a whole brisket cost.

For the record I didn't actually buy this, but saw it on a Facebook group that focuses on Texas BBQ.   And of course leave it to HEB to come out with a great marketing angle.

It's actually $11.10 per bag  according to HEB's website.     

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Personal shoppers are, at worst, a zero sum game.  Without them, you’d have at least 1 clueless shopper taking their place. More likely it’s a family, aimlessly wandering, creating even more congestion and longer lines at the checkout. 

Nothing wrong with the personal shoppers who  are using the conventional shopping carts like Shipt, etc., although some of them can be annoying too because they are running like hell to get an order filled so they can move on to the next one.     It's the pickers if you will for their Curbside pickup service who use those big blue carts that are the problem.   Especially in the smaller stores.   They are not as bad in the newer and larger stores like the HEB Plus stores where the isles are a mile wide,  

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Brought to you in partnership with Dickey's."

Bill Millers would work better....

On 1/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

H‑E‑B calallen suuuuuucks. That area needs a new store, asap 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yeppppp...    They own a big piece of land out here on 624 past the high school.   They put in all the underground utilities a couple of years ago after sitting on it for years letting a Farmer grow a crop on it and taking advantage of the Ag exemption and paying like a couple thousand bucks on a multimillion dollar piece of property.   Go figure.

They haven't done anything yet to it although they have signs out there now marketing pad sites for the frontage of the property for restaurants and the such.  With something like 5000 new homes in planning stages over the next few years west of US 77/I-69 that should be enough roof tops to get the project going because the lack of roof tops was a reason they slow tracked it after making a big deal they were going to build out here.  RIght now they are really focused in getting their stores built and open in the DFW area.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Have you never had a dog?  It took mine about 3 different types of food when he was a puppy to find one he would eat.  To this day there are some treats he won't touch.

But he goes ape shit whenever we cook chicken or turkey.  Or salmon.  He LOVES salmon skin.

Yes, he loves eating deer poop in the yard, but he's also a lover of the finer things.

Yes I know, it was more being sarcastic and actually wondering.  How dogs can have favorite treats and foods but still eat shit, roll in/eat dead animals, ect.  

43 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I never knew H‑E‑B’s could suck so bad and vary in quality so much until I went to a few in Corpus.  Comparing these to Austin H‑E‑B’s is a night and day difference. 

22 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I never knew H‑E‑B’s could suck so bad and vary in quality so much until I went to a few in Corpus.  Comparing these to Austin H‑E‑B’s is a night and day difference. 

The Plus Store on Saratoga and in Flour Bluff which are the newest ones in the area are as close to the Austin / San Antonio stores as we get.     The one that kicks everyone's ass is the new one in New Braunfels!  I can't wait to move up that wait in few years to enjoy the better offerings in a whole bunch of different things.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

Out of spite, I just ordered 10 items for curbside pickup this afternoon. Now a worker will haul around a giant cart for items that’ll fit in two bags.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The Plus Store on Saratoga and in Flour Bluff which are the newest ones in the area are as close to the Austin / San Antonio stores as we get.     The one that kicks everyone's ass is the new one in New Braunfels!  I can't wait to move up that wait in few years to enjoy the better offerings in a whole bunch of different things.

Very true, if I go for a big trip I go to the Saratoga plus store.  I live on Ocean close to downtown though so the ones close to me are pretty bad.  What’s with every single one having a different layout too?  I get thrown off between Roberts, SPID staples and Alameda, all different.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 10:10 AM, tx 3 putt said:

On 1/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Yeppppp...    They own a big piece of land out here on 624 past the high school.   They put in all the underground utilities a couple of years ago after sitting on it for years letting a Farmer grow a crop on it and taking advantage of the Ag exemption and paying like a couple thousand bucks on a multimillion dollar piece of property.   Go figure.

They haven't done anything yet to it although they have signs out there now marketing pad sites for the frontage of the property for restaurants and the such.  With something like 5000 new homes in planning stages over the next few years west of US 77/I-69 that should be enough roof tops to get the project going because the lack of roof tops was a reason they slow tracked it after making a big deal they were going to build out here.  RIght now they are really focused in getting their stores built and open in the DFW area.  

On 1/5/2023 at 11:00 AM, Hook1997 said:

On 1/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, tx 3 putt said:

corpus also needs another store 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

On 1/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, Hook1997 said:

Very true, if I go for a big trip I go to the Saratoga plus store.  I live on Ocean close to downtown though so the ones close to me are pretty bad.  What’s with every single one having a different layout too?  I get thrown off between Roberts, SPID staples and Alameda, all different.  

Until you shop at the Ingleside HEB on the regular, you all can STFU.  All the stores you are bitching about are light years better than the Ingleside HEB.  Could I go to Portland or Rockport?  Yes, but both are kind of a pain in the ass to get to.  Aransas Pass is better than Ingleside but not by much.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Until you shop at the Ingleside HEB on the regular, you all can STFU.  All the stores you are bitching about are light years better than the Ingleside HEB.  Could I go to Portland or Rockport?  Yes, but both are kind of a pain in the ass to get to.  Aransas Pass is better than Ingleside but not by much.

I hear you, but you are talking about a town of 10k ppl that also doesn’t have a huge high end product clientele.  Of course HEB isn’t throwing out their best in Ingleside.  I’d guess that one is along the lines of the one in Yoakum that’s basic everything only.  

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I hear you, but you are talking about a town of 10k ppl that also doesn’t have a huge high end product clientele.  Of course HEB isn’t throwing out their best in Ingleside.  I’d guess that one is along the lines of the one in Yoakum that’s basic everything only.  

Oh, you are totally correct.  And I certainly don't think that there should be one of the larger stores in Ingleside.  But it has got to be one of the smallest HEB stores left in the whole chain.  It is smaller than most of the Buc-ee's stores.  Not the best picture but on the few I could find that shows the entire store.  There is a vacant lot next to the store so there is room to expand.  No reason the Ingleside HEB can't be a little bigger with a larger selection.

image.jpeg.2a232ba6a10030c83747bcb93a25730c.jpeg

35 minutes ago, ScottS said:

Oh, you are totally correct.  And I certainly don't think that there should be one of the larger stores in Ingleside.  But it has got to be one of the smallest HEB stores left in the whole chain.  It is smaller than most of the Buc-ee's stores.  Not the best picture but on the few I could find that shows the entire store.  There is a vacant lot next to the store so there is room to expand.  No reason the Ingleside HEB can't be a little bigger with a larger selection.

image.jpeg.2a232ba6a10030c83747bcb93a25730c.jpeg

I see the Mathis HEB has a twin. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Hill country fare meth would crush it in ingleside 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

I’m always in a good mood if I am in the Aransas Pass HEB because you know you’re about to hit the ferry and be in Port A.

• Hook 'Em 2