Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

It’s nice, but it’s not groundbreaking. Pizza and bbq are solid dinner options in our food desert. Overall, I’d rather have AppleTree back.

Gtfo never once saw prime graded steaks and fresh seafood at an appletree

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

My kids loved that shit.  A few years ago my son won Instant Winners at back-to-back trips at the Burnet Road HEB.  You would have thought his team won the Super Bowl.

I am not sure what is worse, all the “points” littering the car. Or the cheap stuff they get as an instant winner littering the car. 

On 2/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, Mittens said:

HEB is pretty damn responsive to customer input.  Every time I've submitted an inquiry online, I've received a response from a manager.  If the carts bother you that much, write in and let the manager know that they are taking up the middle of the aisle, not paying attention to the paying customer, etc.  

Managers at the HEB on 31st in Temple (the worst HEB in Texas) will never reply

• Rage+1 1

These sauces that HEB came out with are fucking great for weeknight meals. I've enjoyed every one that I've tried. Family is partial to the Panang curry, marsala, and toasted sesame. Usually make them with skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts though. 

9691568F-1D3A-4050-A251-826078AC45BB.jpeg

A5DA8BC6-2F7A-4479-A481-A756FD35CE1C.jpeg

D0620C6C-CD8C-4C25-8DE4-84B81E910DDD.jpeg

A54F739B-58C7-4E5C-BA50-3045B335A96D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, El Compadre said:

These sauces that HEB came out with are fucking great for weeknight meals. I've enjoyed every one that I've tried. Family is partial to the Panang curry, marsala, and toasted sesame. Usually make them with skinless boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts though. 

Green curry, not pictured, is my favorite. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Panang reminds you of mole? How?

I usually make my mole with chocolate, peanut butter, and a little sugar. Panang curry just kind of reminds me of the flavor profile, albeit more exotic, and the texture. I told my wife Panang treated like a more exotic or Asian mole.

• Fuck You 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:18 PM, hornbri said:

This doesn’t do it for you? my kids love to hit it up. 

5E77C3C7-F4E5-43A2-BB26-4D55DFA4A207.jpeg

Not only do we have to get BuddyBucks every visit, but we also have to get the orange stickers for them as well.  The car, the house, many of their toys, look like an H-E-B tornado ripped through.  

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:43 PM, Mittens said:

I haven’t priced it lately because H‑E‑B has started putting ~1lb pre-cut salmon out in the coffins so no need to go to the counter, but salmon is usually around $16/lb and steelhead is like $10/lb. I’ll have to take a look next time through to verify.

You're paying about $5 for the convenience of not having to go to the fish counter. Price for atlantic salmon at the counter is $12.24/lb. Price in the coffin is $17.44/lb. I think that's ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:54 AM, irishtexan said:

You're paying about $5 for the convenience of not having to go to the fish counter. Price for atlantic salmon at the counter is $12.24/lb. Price in the coffin is $17.44/lb. I think that's ridiculous. 

Well hell - right as rain.

$16.77 in the coffin
$11.77 at the counter
$10.49 for steelhead trout at the counter

Had the Mi Tienda Carne Guisada tonight. Was a little skeptical about halfway through the cook, but shit turned out real well. 
Have had the Pastor & fajitas before, need to try one of the chicken versions next. 

Secret hack for the preseasoned HEB carne guisada….use it to make a quick pot of chili.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 8:41 PM, El Compadre said:

9691568F-1D3A-4050-A251-826078AC45BB.jpeg

A5DA8BC6-2F7A-4479-A481-A756FD35CE1C.jpeg

D0620C6C-CD8C-4C25-8DE4-84B81E910DDD.jpeg

A54F739B-58C7-4E5C-BA50-3045B335A96D.jpeg

Have you tried the stir fry sauce?

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's pretty consistent with bulk prices at Fiesta or El Rancho Supermercado.  Where did you see that/

they just re-set some of the produce area in mine as well,moved bananas to end cap, moved the bulk-ish nuts, etc that are prepackaged out somewhere else + expanded them and moved a setup like the one he showed to the end cap for the aisle that has peppers

18 hours ago, salonghorn said:

It seems that the taste varies from year to year. Had some around Chrismas. No flavor at all. Year before they were good. The Garcia tamales are always good.

I don't love the Delicatessen branded tamales. Too much masa and light on the fillings. Also super expensive. Nearly $11 for five tamales as compared to a dozen for almost $10 of the Mi Tienda version. 

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't love the Delicatessen branded tamales. Too much masa and light on the fillings. Also super expensive. Nearly $11 for five tamales as compared to a dozen for almost $10 of the Mi Tienda version. 

Garcia tamales are not the deli tamales. Agree with everything you said about the deli tamales.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Have any of you tried the Mi Tienda refried beans?  The ingredient list is legit -- beans, water, lard, salt.  I'm wondering how they compare to the various canned varieties.

Yeah, they're good.  Better than canned imo

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I don't love the Delicatessen branded tamales. Too much masa and light on the fillings. Also super expensive. Nearly $11 for five tamales as compared to a dozen for almost $10 of the Mi Tienda version

Even better with the $2 off coupons offered recently. Stocked up on them.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:25 PM, salonghorn said:

It seems that the taste varies from year to year. Had some around Chrismas. No flavor at all. Year before they were good. The Garcia tamales are always good.

I've not personally encountered that issue, but don't doubt your personal experience with it.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Have any of you tried the Mi Tienda refried beans?  The ingredient list is legit -- beans, water, lard, salt.  I'm wondering how they compare to the various canned varieties.

First I've heard of them. I'll be on the lookout now.

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

These are a staple at our house for our kiddo. They're easily better than any canned refried I've ever had, and lots of restaurants as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:42 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Where do you find them in the store? Are they spicy or mild?

Just now, salonghorn said:

Where do you find them in the store? Are they spicy or mild?

Last I saw, at the Far West HEB they were in a refrigerated aisle facing the meat counter.  I assume mild, there are no peppers in the ingredient list, but I haven't tried them yet.  I'm planning on adding some onion, garlic, and serrano as needed.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Last I saw, at the Far West HEB they were in a refrigerated aisle facing the meat counter.  I assume mild, there are no peppers in the ingredient list, but I haven't tried them yet.  I'm planning on adding some onion, garlic, and serrano as needed.

Maybe some melted cheese on top?

As luck would have it, our older son brought home some of those Mi Tienda frijoles this afternoon.  My wife and I immediately sliced open that bag, put the beans on some tortilla chips with grated cheddar and pickled jalapenos -- outstanding.  Easily the best store-bought refried beans I've had.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Oh, are they kosher too?
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I miss the old Alamo brand packaged tamales. They were always sporadically in stock, but now they’re all gone.

You can order them directly from Alamo. You’d want the machine made ones. If you can go to the store on Berry, you can get the hand made ones directly from the steamer. 

They’re really good.