Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

The description for this must be wrong.  It says "enjoy our flavorful jalapeno artichoke dip."  Still gonna try it.

Yeah pretty sure that’s incorrect. I’d never seen it before so I’m guessing it’s relatively new, maybe their entry just got screwed up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know what thread to ask so I'll just put this here....

Any of y'all ever make these things? I've seen them forever in the section with the dried chiles and corn husks and masa dough and always wondered what the heck they are but never bothered to look it up until recently. How do they taste fried and what is the best way to eat them?

Fiesta Round Duros, 4 oz - Walmart.com

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Any of y'all ever make these things? I've seen them forever in the section with the dried chiles and corn husks and masa dough and always wondered what the heck they are but never bothered to look it up until recently. How do they taste fried and what is the best way to eat them?

Looks like a bag of mini Skyway Tuff Wheels...

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

top off your Mexican nights with a deliciously crispy Mexican snack food called Duros. Made of puffed wheat, these light and airy flavoured wagon-wheel snacks are downright delicious.

They are great for a party or a late night snack. Simply fry them in hot oil for a few seconds until fully puffed up. Season with Bolner’s Fiesta Pico de Gallo Seasoning, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder Fajita Seasoning, or Garlic Salt, and gobble them up.

Duros can be flavored in many unbeatable ways. You can sprinkle them with chili powder and lime juice to give these crunchy snakes a hot bold punch; add garlic, parmesan cheese and salt, or even top them with salsa, a dab of sour cream and an extra splash of hot sauce to create a unique and delicious finger food dish. They are great with bean dip too!

Give them a try! No Mexican dinner is complete without Duros. And, remember when purchasing Bolner’s Fiesta Brand you get products made with the finest ingredients available. Freshness and quality is ALWAYS guaranteed!

Directions:
Fry in hot oil for a few seconds until fully puffed up. Remove immediately and drain on paper towels. Season with Bolner’s Fiesta Pico de Gallo Seasoning, Lemon Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder Fajita Seasoning, or Garlic Salt.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

con Valentina.

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

looks like an excellent snack while drinking cold beers 

Did a search and didn't see them mentioned, but the Meal Simple Parmesan Green Beans are like crack to me.  At least one night a week, I eat a family sized container as my whole dinner.  Spread them out on a baking/cooling rack so they don't get soggy and cook them a little longer for maximum crispiness.  Not good for the cholesterol, sodium or fat, but damn tasty.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-meal-simple-parmesan-green-beans/2543505

• Hook 'Em 2

I went to two separate HEBs in NW Austin this weekend looking for hominy to make pozole, and they were both completely wiped out. These were solidly white-people HEBs (Far west and Braker/183). What gives?

I had to go to SuperMercado El Rancho to get my hominy. Which, to be honest, was great because I also had an excuse to go to Mi Tradicion bakery in the same shopping center and load up on Mexican pastries. But still, why was there a run on hominy at HEB?

47 minutes ago, Deej said:

You went to the white people HEB for hominy. That's your problem. They probably stock maybe 4 cans if any. I go to any Mexican grocery in my neighborhood and they have walls of it. 

I've never had that problem before. And I buy a lot of hominy. There were empty shelves for it, so they usually stock it. 

I was just wondering really if it was Kosher and I didn't realize it. There's a run on things that are under-the-radar kosher at the Far West HEB from time to time - like those Yasso Greek Yogurt bars my wife likes. Far West HEB never has many of them, we googled around and found out it was kosher and the light bulb went off.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:12 PM, Mittens said:

Did a search and didn't see them mentioned, but the Meal Simple Parmesan Green Beans are like crack to me.  At least one night a week, I eat a family sized container as my whole dinner.  Spread them out on a baking/cooling rack so they don't get soggy and cook them a little longer for maximum crispiness.  Not good for the cholesterol, sodium or fat, but damn tasty.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-meal-simple-parmesan-green-beans/2543505

Those intrigued me the other day. I wound up grabbing a sirloin and potato which was okay (they don't season the steak at all and a salt/pepper rub right before cooking only does so much) and a stuffed salmon and broccoli that was actually really tasty. 

You of course have to season everything up a bit or add your hot sauces of choice but they have some good offerings in the meal simple section. 

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

where would that be located in the store ?

At my two HEB's in Houston they are at the front wall of the store in produce. Usually around the heb branded bagged broccoli and cauliflower. They are easy to miss because they don't have a dedicated shelf so they get placed on their side. Also, they are sold out about 1/3 of the time. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Those intrigued me the other day. I wound up grabbing a sirloin and potato which was okay (they don't season the steak at all and a salt/pepper rub right before cooking only does so much) and a stuffed salmon and broccoli that was actually really tasty. 

You of course have to season everything up a bit or add your hot sauces of choice but they have some good offerings in the meal simple section. 

I get the meal simple chipolte-lime or southwest chicken breasts and a pack of carb sense tortillas when I am looking for a quick and easy low carb meal. Not too bad when you add a little of the El Gallo jalapeno salsa. 

I am not a fan of the steak offerings. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 10:43 AM, Gourmand said:

I am addicted to chichurritos, (sort of like a prepared duro). I am the only one in the family that will eat the spiciest of them, but I have to ration them because they don't have them at every HEB so I wait until I'm running errands nearby.

There are a couple of brands and in a pinch I eat the Ruedas but they are not as hot.

Mi Tienda Chile Y Limon Ruedas - Shop Chips at H-E-B

Mexsnax Chichurritos Wheat Duro Snacks - Shop Chips at H-E-B

Mexsnax Chichurritos Sabor De Chile Y Limon Wheat Snacks ...

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I will find this shit if it costs me an arm and / or leg:

image.png.3217dafd4b9ef3741d279ca94a80fc38.png

The site I found didn't even list the two flavors I picked from the store, Pecan Praline, which disappeared before I had a chance to taste, and Mixed Berry Cheesecake, which was awesome. 

It was very creamy and loaded with flavor bits, they did not skimp at all. Even after hours of chilling in the freezer it was smooth and easily spooned right out of the box.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

My wife and I have been avid Texas Pecan coffee drinkers for the last 8 years. Just recently bought a bag of Tastes of the Hill Country and I’ve converted. HEB coffee is amazingly good.

1F1CB183-9434-416A-AF91-B9395DCC2E70.webp 81.03 kB · 4 downloads

i also enjoy the pecan coffee with your wife. It’s my evening coffee. 100% I’ll try the Hill Country coffee 

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

My wife and I have been avid Texas Pecan coffee drinkers for the last 8 years. Just recently bought a bag of Tastes of the Hill Country and I’ve converted. HEB coffee is amazingly good.

1F1CB183-9434-416A-AF91-B9395DCC2E70.webp 81.03 kB · 6 downloads

Their Cafe Ole whole bean Chiapas and Coumbian are pretty good. Usually have a coupon running, and the other day they had the 12 oz bag of Chiapas down to four and a half bucks.

Screenshot_20220220-121323_My H-E-B.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

1F1CB183-9434-416A-AF91-B9395DCC2E70.webp 81.03 kB · 7 downloads

I tend to prefer straight up black coffee with no flavor, but I love a good pecan roast.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, pearlandhorn said:

1F1CB183-9434-416A-AF91-B9395DCC2E70.webp 81.03 kB · 12 downloads

We've been buying the Espresso Roast for years now.  One of the best products they have in my opinion.  

• Hook 'Em 2