Star Trek Discovery: Season 2 - It Got Good. Real Good. (Ep 1 inside)

atomheartbevo

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Omg she is a 2020 Wesley. Damnit 

I will argue that she's Wesley Crusher done properly.  My problems with her are more problems with the writing messing up her character, and deliberately putting her in situations meant to make us cringe and feel sorry for her, or to see her as helpless, almost like she has no agency at times.

She works really well a lot of times, because she'e relatable - unlike Wesley, she wasn't written to be an arrogant asshole.  He was this OMG TEEN SUPERGENIUS given a lot more slack and more responsibility than he had earned, while early on it felt like she was hanging on by her fingernails, and having to constantly prove herself and her value to the crew.  Also, Tilly gels with the rest of the crew in ways that Wesley never did.   Chalk all of that up to TNG writers not knowing what to do with him.

With more consistent writing, she can be a great character.  But bringing her into an unknown situation that we all knew was going to be dangerous, and then telling her to hide behind the bar during the fight did her no favors.  Logic would have dictated that Georgiou is the one you want doing your trading and First Contact with unknown beings in a hostile environment.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, Parliament said:

Am I a misogynist for thinking Tilly is annoying and just a bad character in general?

Yes you are.  I don't think she's the best character at all, and I would have preferred a more attractive character(I'm still a guy) but I don't think she's been poorly written at all and I think this show has been really really good.  The way they're setting up the future is very interesting and I can't wait to see how it plays out

On 11/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, Apep said:

Tilly belongs in the WTF thread.

Season 1 Mariner GIF by CBS All Access

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

These last two episodes were underwhelming. No need for a two-parter because it was obvious how it would go even if the ending was in doubt.

Spoiler

It probably sets up the Section 38 show if that's still a thing.

Edited by Apep

1 minute ago, Apep said:

These last two episodes were underwhelming. No need for a two-parter because it was obvious how it would go even if the ending was in doubt.

Hide contents

It probably sets up the Section 38 show if that's still a thing

And yes it did.  Seemingly a pointless two-parter when we have an actual plot to explore with the Burn.  And only a few more episodes left in season 3. 

Spoiler

Giorgiou's message that Burnham will be a captain again makes me think they will discover the Kelpians in the nebula alive and Saru will leave the Discovery to join them. 

You can probably skip it, the only real advancement of story is explaining how Georgiou gets back in order to do her Section 31 spin-off, and cracking the distress signal on what caused the burn.  I just like the mirror Universe look and feel though. The uniforms are fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did not really like season 1.  Just felt off with me.

I really liked Season 2 as soon as Pike and Co. took command.  Really liked it, felt like Star Trek.

Up front, I'll say I didn't expect much once Pike and Co. headed off to do their own thing.   I'm still lagging behind on season 3 (episode 11), but I've got to say, something definitely changed in the writing/direction/production, and I'm really enjoying it as a Star Trek series.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:46 PM, Apep said:

It was a red herring. Great season finale.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, Js1 said:

Agreed. I’m quite satisfied 

On 1/9/2021 at 3:04 PM, hornbri said:

That was a good two part finale. 

It was indeed.  I'm impressed that they got it together.  Had an epic feel of some of the TNG season finales.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Apep said:

In retrospect, even though it was a good season, nothing topped the end of the first episode. True believers.

I can agree with that.

It goes 1 > (only the parts of season 2 with Pike) > 3 > 2 (minus the parts with Pike)

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Yeah it really picked up back half of season 1...season 2 was great with Pike.  Took a little this season, but finished strong.

My only problem is after that little fight they had running through the middle/end of S3 finale, my image of how big Discovery is...they should just name it Discovery 5.

I'm also hoping Saru is not sidelined in S4.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:40 PM, atomheartbevo said:

My only problem is after that little fight they had running through the middle/end of S3 finale, my image of how big Discovery is...they should just name it Discovery 5.

I'm also hoping Saru is not sidelined in S4.

Same. Saru is one of my fave ST captains

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Same. Saru is one of my fave ST captains

Yeah, it feels to me like he's got a bit of TNG Picard about him.

In kind of related news, Kurtzman is out playing up season 4 - they are in their third month of production for s4.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/01/30/alex-kurtzman-teases-villain-and-more-for-star-trek-discovery-season-4/

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Yeah I'm a fan of Saru...kind of glad he was made Caption over Burnham.  First Lead as captain that's an Alien. Good character.

A big part of it is the actor himself, and he certainly deserves a lot of credit, given that most people don't know who he is, even if they've seen a bunch of his movies.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Yeah I meant to look that up...so CBS All Access is going away in place of Paramount+  God I hope it's not much more than CBS All Access.

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

(It will be.)

They are adding a ton of Nickelodeon content, so once your kids see it, they'll lose their shit if you cancel it at some point.

Hopefully they will keep giving me free months a few months after I cancel, because I think I had more free months than I paid for.

On the other hand, if you sign up for an annual plan before March 3rd, they'll give you 50% off, which is very tempting.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I didn't see if Yellowstone will be moving back to it...that's a good reason to have it.

And I read where existing CBS All Access accounts are just being rolled over to it, so that's good.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yellowstone ends up on it.  They realize that going with CBS-only branding hurt, since there was a bunch of non-CBS stuff on there, but a lot of people weren't aware of that.  

And they are watching Disney, HBO/Warner, and NBC/Peacock, who are all bringing in their various properties to make for a massive offering.  

The goal is provide enough content that people sign up and then don't bother unsubscribing.  I would imagine plenty of Star Trek fans were signing up for new Star Trek stuff, and then dropping as soon as it ended.  Disney and Netflix are two that many sign up and then don't bother dropping just because something ended.   Shit, Disney has perfected it, keeping just enough overlapping new content that few are going to skip a month.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Yellowstone ends up on it.  They realize that going with CBS-only branding hurt, since there was a bunch of non-CBS stuff on there, but a lot of people weren't aware of that.  

And they are watching Disney, HBO/Warner, and NBC/Peacock, who are all bringing in their various properties to make for a massive offering.  

The goal is provide enough content that people sign up and then don't bother unsubscribing.  I would imagine plenty of Star Trek fans were signing up for new Star Trek stuff, and then dropping as soon as it ended.  Disney and Netflix are two that many sign up and then don't bother dropping just because something ended.   Shit, Disney has perfected it, keeping just enough overlapping new content that few are going to skip a month.

I'm on a CBS All-Access break after I decided The Stand was ass and I didn't want to finish it.  I'll be back for Strange New Worlds or Picard season 2, whichever comes first. 

Paramount+ is going to need to do what Disney+ is doing and schedule these Trek shows in a way to keep me subscribed.  Disney+ going Mando season 2 -> WandaVision (small break for the holiday, but gave us Soul in between) -> Falcon and the Winter Soldier is perfect. (I mean, I have the bundle with Hulu and ESPN+, so I'm not going to cancel anytime soon because I use Hulu a lot) 

Paramount+ needs to go Strange New Worlds -> Picard season 2 -> Disco season 4 -> Section 31 to keep me a long-term subscriber. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm on a CBS All-Access break after I decided The Stand was ass and I didn't want to finish it.  I'll be back for Strange New Worlds or Picard season 2, whichever comes first. 

Paramount+ is going to need to do what Disney+ is doing and schedule these Trek shows in a way to keep me subscribed.  Disney+ going Mando season 2 -> WandaVision (small break for the holiday, but gave us Soul in between) -> Falcon and the Winter Soldier is perfect. (I mean, I have the bundle with Hulu and ESPN+, so I'm not going to cancel anytime soon because I use Hulu a lot) 

Paramount+ needs to go Strange New Worlds -> Picard season 2 -> Disco season 4 -> Section 31 to keep me a long-term subscriber. 

1234.  On a break as well.

And Disney Plus has The Bad Batch airing sometime this spring, and Loki will air in May, and they have a few other Star Wars shows that will be showing up later in the year, in addition to Marvel stuff.  They've timed it perfectly to keep us subscribed.

HBO is doing the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Section 31 not happening until one of the 5 current Star Trek shows wraps up.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/star-trek-universe-paramount-plus-prodigy-1234914526/

“We’re aiming to have our shows feel unique and different from each other,” Alex Kurtzman, the overall executive producer for the “Star Trek” Universe, tells Variety. “We want to give everybody a reason to watch each show.”

While fans will see “interconnectedness” within the shows, Kurtzman says, there aren’t plans to tell a single cohesive story. “That’s a lot of fun, but our goal is not to make it so insular that if you haven’t seen the show you’re lost when you watch another show,” he says.

Kurtzman and McNamara say there are still “conversations” about a new “Star Trek” series around Michelle Yeoh’s Philippa Georgiou and the mysterious Section 31, and there are other “Trek” shows in development that haven’t been previously announced. But they emphasized that the current five-series slate will likely not expand further until at least one of the shows runs its course.

“We’re very careful about curating the pacing — the number of shows at any given time — and what those shows are, so that we make sure that it’s always exciting when there’s a new track show coming out,” says McNamara. The rough schedule, she says, is to debut “a new ‘Trek’ a quarter” on Paramount Plus.

• 1 month later...

Bunch of internet rumors that the head of Paramount cut Kurtman out of Strange New Worlds, as they were not happy with his show running, and him trying to get away from the original Star Trek, when everybody fucking wants the original Star Trek.

And also due to ViacomCBS's stock tanking (like dropping half its value over a week), leadership is pissed at Kurtzman not making the other current Star Trek series doing better.

• 3 months later...

I just finished a Disco rewatch over the past 4 weeks. It really watches better as a binge. Damn will I miss Michelle Yeoh in this series (she verbally cuts people down in a way no one else can, except Tilly when she pretended to be Killy.

I hope Doug Jones is only on Kaminar for part of the season.  Saru is the Federation with all its ideals and values and rigid adherence to process and procedure. Burnham needs him to reign her in. 

I have high hopes for season 4

• Hook 'Em 4