Comprehensive Late Night Talk Show Thread

RPM

I love Conan. He's retooled his TBS show to 30 minutes. TBS promoted more Conan Without Borders with this new format. They need to hurry up and get to that because he's really good at it and the current studio version isn't working well, imho.

I think Colbert has the best 10:30 show. The comedy is great, but his intellect is what really shines. He can interview with the best of them.

Seth Meyers is my nightly go to. A Closer Look is the best daily news commentary/satire since Jon Stewart.  I'm also a big fan of Amber Ruffin and Amber Says What.

I don't hate Jimmy Kimmel. I usually like what I see when I watch, but Colbert usually wins out.

James Corden is talented, but not my cup of tea.

Can't fucking stand Jimmy Fallon.

I’ve all but stopped watching late night but I do catch one time to time or, more times than not, I’ll stream some of the day-after clips.  

My brief rundown:  

Jimmy Fallon seems like someone my middle or high school self would enjoy.  He’s so distractingly childish and his interviews really suffer due to his behavior.

I’ve never watched him before but CBS This Morning will play clips from Trevor Noah’s show (I guess because they’re both owned by Viacom) and I swear the majority of the time I can’t tell if he’s setting up the joke or it’s the actual punchline.  I’ve seen hundreds of his clips and I can’t remember ever laughing even once.  

Colbert is talented but I miss the old Stephen.  His new show just doesn’t work for me personally   

Conan IMHO has been the best thing going for almost two decades.  He’s fantastic.  

Edited by Chet Steadman

We tape (DVR) Coco and watch when we can.  His bits out away from the studio have always been the funniest.  His Conan Without Borders are beyond anything he's ever done.  Hilarious, but with some serious moments when justified (Armenia genocide, Korea DMZ, Mexico wall, Haiti poverty).

Schlansky!

I tape (Betamax) Conan and Seth Meyers.  I didn’t really like Meyers on SNL but his political commentary seems better than anyone else.  Best since Stewart is right.  Obviously sub-Stewart still but we will take what we can get.  Trevor Noah is the biggest letdown since the Segway.  I feel like CBS and NBC both got it right when they got Colbert and Fallon.  They seem like they should be the heirs to Letterman and Leno respectively, in that they are both neutered versions of their predecessors.  Colbert has that secretly intelligent thing Letterman had and Fallon seems perfect for 45 year old suburban wives like Leno.  

• Like 1

I love Conan. He's retooled his TBS show to 30 minutes. TBS promoted more Conan Without Borders with this new format. They need to hurry up and get to that because he's really good at it and the current studio version isn't working well, imho.
I think Colbert has the best 10:30 show. The comedy is great, but his intellect is what really shines. He can interview with the best of them.
Seth Meyers is my nightly go to. A Closer Look is the best daily news commentary/satire since Jon Stewart.  I'm also a big fan of Amber Ruffin and Amber Says What.
I don't hate Jimmy Kimmel. I usually like what I see when I watch, but Colbert usually wins out.
James Corden is talented, but not my cup of tea.
Can't fucking stand Jimmy Fallon.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t watched late night in 20+ years but I watch clips online. Don’t get the love for Colbert. His interviews are awkward and he always seems disengaged. (I don’t find him funny either) Fallon flat out sucks with his fake laughing. I don’t take Myers seriously enough to have an opinion. Kimmel has some decent bits and seems the most natural in interviews. Conan is the king. Most enjoyable bits and guest interactions. 

• 3 years later...

Ferguson was the only one that could have naturally entertaining interviews that weren't just rehearsed scripts to plug a movie or whatever.

But he went out on his own terms. I believe he had a young kid and wanted more time with family. CBS wanted him back.

Edited by Hawndoh
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...

Didn't watch James Corden much. He wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak. But I did tune into his final show and it didn't suck. Really enjoyed the dream sequence and the cameo by Letterman. Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Didn't watch James Corden much. He wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak. But I did tune into his final show and it didn't suck. Really enjoyed the dream sequence and the cameo by Letterman. Good stuff.

I was looking for this last night, I enjoyed the last episode as well. Didn't always watch but when I did it wasn't bad at all