Greta van Fleet

crash_davis

What's the consensus?  Good, decent, fucking sucks ass through a straw used for enemas?

Hadn't heard them until I saw them on SNL.  First thought, hmm, sounds pretty cool.  Second thought, kids, try not to be so blatant about ripping off LZ.  

Then I read their comment about Black Keys and thought, these fucking dicks barely out puberty who don't even try to hide their ape of LZ is going to pass judgement on the Black Keys?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/greta-van-fleet-call-out-black-keys/

Speaking recently with HEAVY (via Alternative Nation), bassist Sam Kiszka gave his take on The Black Keys. Specifically, he outlined the stakes that are at play whenever Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney release the follow-up to 2014’s Turn Blue: “They haven’t done a record in a long time, [so] at this point it’s going to decide whether they are some band, or a very serious staple rock band that shows and represents the rock and roll of the early 21st century.”

As Paul McCartney once said of Oasis, "If you're going to be derivative, why not be derivative of us?"

Same for these guys.  I applaud the youngsters doing their LZ thing.  LZ was pretty much ancient history to me when I first got into rock, and hell, I'm old.  So LZ must be positively stone age to these guys and their peers.  I got no problems with it.  

20 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

This guy says it better than I could, but if I could have said it this well, this is probably nicer than what I would have said:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

lulz.  that was a brutal review.  that first line...

Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves.

• Like 1

I think I would like them OK if not for the singer. He really overdoes the Robert Plant thing. They trigger a lot of folks, but there's definitely a lot of worse shit out there. At least it's rock music. Save the hate for shittier shit.

• Like 2

Just now, DougO said:

I think I would like them OK if not for the singer. He really overdoes the Robert Plant thing. They trigger a lot of folks, but there's definitely a lot of worse shit out there. At least it's rock music. Save the hate for shittier shit.

agreed.  but how would you like a blatant rip off band of AC/DC replete with a dude wearing a shorts suit banging his head, high stepping in place the whole time he plays the guitar?  

Those 2 songs on SNL were awful.  I had seen them fuck up a single tune on some late night show nearly a year prior, so I wasn't expecting much, but honestly, they were better when they were clearly just trying to rip off LZ.

I've seen live footage from festivals a year or two old that's pretty impressive, but they seem to be on a dead end path to irrelevance.  I reiterate, WTF were those SNL tunes, anyway?  It was like watching Offspring trying to cover Steely Dan.  Brutal.

. . . and the idea that Zep wasn't an influence is completely blown out of the water by the singer, and not just his voice.  He does the same identical pelvis thrust with the mic cord wrapped around his extended index finger.  No way those guys didn't spend massive amounts of time studying that band.

Led Zeppelin is an icon and my favorite band.  these guys are decent.  songs are tight and catchy.  certainly have the Zep sound but people will tire of them if they don't evolve.  that said, to all the people being pissed about them aping Zep, let me know when they get sued multiple times for directly ripping off other songwriters and have to pay back-royalties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Led Zeppelin is an icon and my favorite band.  these guys are decent.  songs are tight and catchy.  certainly have the Zep sound but people will tire of them if they don't evolve.  that said, to all the people being pissed about them aping Zep, let me know when they get sued multiple times for directly ripping off other songwriters and have to pay back-royalties.

At least Zep adapted those songs to their own sound. GVF is just a new version of Kingdom Come.

19 hours ago, Deej said:

I saw or read an interview with them where they claimed they hadn't really ever listened to Zeppelin, so they weren't an influence. Lulz. 

Wow.  They even ripped off Led Zeppelin’s defense to accusations that they ripped another artist off.  Say what you will about Greta Van Fleet, but no one can doubt their dedication to all-encompassing plagiarism.

Edited by BrickHorn

On the fence about them and have seen them live.  They are talented but the lead singer dresses like an old Jewish lady and at times, sounds like Adam Sandler singing Robert Plant.  The band can jam but they've copied LZ's mannerisms.  The guitarist has Jimmy Page down and I read in an interview that he spent a year watching him and learning so he's definitely in tune with not just his sound but the way he plays and looks.  They've tried to talk about Iggy Pop some but that ends with both bands being from Detroit.  Their first album is a good listen.  I don't think it's an easy thing to copy any of the greats playing, much less craft your songs in their style but they've managed it. And if you ever want to hear some different Led Zeppelin tunes, maybe look up GVZ.  There's no point in learning the band members names when the original 70s lineup was the better band.  

Edit: Just watched a live studio performance of them that seemed more like a parody.  Awful.  

Edited by Mdhorn

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I like them more when I can't see the hobbit they have for a lead singer, although it fits with a lot of Plant's lyrics.

Lol.  I’ll give them some props for being commercially successful in 2018/2019 with hard rock style guitar front and center.  Almost all other recently popular music has relegated the guitar to its big-band role prior to rock&roll.  GVF may be opening doors for someone to actually evolve the classic/hard rock genre.

One big problem with basing your identity on Zeppelin today, though — how can you be someone’s “backdoor man” in the politically correct #metoo era?  You can’t, the lyrics have to be sanitized to the point of being bland. Like an inoffensive, least common denominator “Blazing Saddles” would be.  This is a big criticism of mine with GVF — They are zero calorie, diet Zeppelin.  Perfectly acceptable to the suits of corporate America.  “The Hanson of hard rock” was a perfect description.

tumblr_lxu9h2acdD1r6f39po1_500.gif

• Like 2

I try not to overthink it.  I like the kind of music they're putting out.  I really don't care if it's a copy/ripoff/etc of something that was great.  There really isn't that much originality left in music anyway.  I'm not going to get all bent up about them trying to claim they are or are not a copy of zeppelin.  It doesn't matter.  What matters is do I like the music theyre producing?  Yeah.  Pretty much.  I like their first EP better than their album they released.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

try not to overthink it.  I like the kind of music they're putting out. 

Same. I'm somewhere between liking them and finding them obnoxious. But this is one of the few acts I've heard in the last few years that didn't make me ask "are you fucking kidding with this shit?" immediately.

23 hours ago, Goredho said:

Lol.  I’ll give them some props for being commercially successful in 2018/2019 with hard rock style guitar front and center.  Almost all other recently popular music has relegated the guitar to its big-band role prior to rock&roll.  GVF may be opening doors for someone to actually evolve the classic/hard rock genre.

One big problem with basing your identity on Zeppelin today, though — how can you be someone’s “backdoor man” in the politically correct #metoo era?  You can’t, the lyrics have to be sanitized to the point of being bland. Like an inoffensive, least common denominator “Blazing Saddles” would be.  This is a big criticism of mine with GVF — They are zero calorie, diet Zeppelin.  Perfectly acceptable to the suits of corporate America.  “The Hanson of hard rock” was a perfect description.

tumblr_lxu9h2acdD1r6f39po1_500.gif

hqdefault.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Door_Man

18 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Point taken.  Now answer me this:  How can you violate a groupie with a mud shark in the #metoo era?

that's not a question I dream of answering any more, but... does it help if the groupie consents? I mean in all the tellings of the mud shark story, no one's ever indicated whether the shark itself consented so that's moot