Greta van Fleet

crash_davis

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This could be a whole other thread, but I see both sides of this subject. I still find plenty of new music that I like, but when is the last time a real wave has come along like punk, thrash, grunge, etc?

it still happens it's just probably not music you're into. chillwave is the first thing that comes to mind. 

I fear bands like gvf are the new wave. Not the genre, mind you. But rather overly-engineered, computer generated, focus group pleasing, reductive and unoriginal pablum laboratory designed to maximize streaming service and mass audience radio algorithms. It's not music. It's a data-driven marketing dressed up in shiny pants and nail polish, squealing and mewling into our stupified ear holes because it's the closest thing we can click on that sounds like something we used to like. 

Edited by ohchaucer

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

I fear bands like gvf are the new wave. Not the genre, mind you. But rather overly-engineered, computer generated, focus group pleasing, reductive and unoriginal pablum laboratory designed to maximize streaming service and mass audience radio algorithms. It's not music. It's a data-driven marketing dressed up in shiny pants and nail polish, squealing and mewling into our stupified ear holes because it's the closest thing we can click on that sounds like something we used to like. 

There's nothing new about that. That's been the norm for about 20 years, at least.

31 minutes ago, DougO said:

There's nothing new about that. That's been the norm for about 20 years, at least.

True but what's new is the science of delivery - algorithms and data via streaming, sharing, etc. put certain songs in front of certain people. The biggest shift happening is that NOW the music makers themselves (such as they are) are using that same data to create lyrics and tunes that optimize for certain audiences - both end user audiences and distributor/service audiences (which also employ bots and big data AI to maximize audience engagement). 

Think about how Spotify creates "your daily mix" and then consider how and why some of the songs therein got there. Now imagine you're out to produce a young Greta von fleet and you want (and are able via available data) to ensure the songs they make show up in certain places. 

Data and streaming have made the ol' pay to play model look like child's play. 

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

I should add, I still think most artists start with a blank canvas but for those who would choose to paint by numbers, the numbers, now, are actually out there. 

"Out there" for the most talented mimics, maybe, but the average kid starting a garage band or laying down rhymes or whatever is going to find it extremely unproductive trying to ape whatever flavor of the day some algorithm spits out as most profitable.   I tend to think most folks in it for the right reasons, with a legitimate muse or calling don't do well trying to do anything but what they do.

"Out there" for the most talented mimics, maybe, but the average kid starting a garage band or laying down rhymes or whatever is going to find it extremely unproductive trying to ape whatever flavor of the day some algorithm spits out as most profitable.   I tend to think most folks in it for the right reasons, with a legitimate muse or calling don't do well trying to do anything but what they do.

I agree - and thank God that's true. But I think we will see more and more Greta von fleets in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think Greta Van Fleet is trying to work an algorithm.  I think they’re very talented musicians who love Zeppelin and have no creativity.

You're wrong. I hope they like LZ. Or were at least taught to. But every chord; every beat; every feather dangly ear thing is FUCKING ENGINEERED. They are lab rats. 

Show anything - ANYTHING - that suggests they are good musicians. Main guy's voice is good. Better than any high school choir Alto standout?

1 minute ago, ohchaucer said:

You're wrong. I hope they like LZ. Or were at least taught to. But every chord; every beat; every feather dangly ear thing is FUCKING ENGINEERED. They are lab rats. 

Show anything - ANYTHING - that suggests they are good musicians. Main guy's voice is good. Better than any high school choir Alto standout?

Who is compiling this?  The solos shred, the bass lines groove, and the drums are straight Bonham.

Its completely derivative, but the idea that it’s engineered seems conspiratory when there seems to be a rational explanation.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Who is compiling this?  The solos shred, the bass lines groove, and the drums are straight Bonham.

Its completely derivative, but the idea that it’s engineered seems conspiratory when there seems to be a rational explanation.

There are a hundred bands right now copping the same sound with shredding silos, groovy bass lines, and hard hitting drums. Why are we and SNL talking about these little shits? It's not accidental. They're not just good enough or lucky enough or zeitgeist-y enough. 

I don't begrudge anyone listening to anything they like and I like everything that sounds good. But please be aware enough of the context of how music is made today that you can see when it's a bit.  

For me, it's all pretty much in the area of metal. But metal is the widest and most diverse of all genres. You hear things band-by-band in that genre that are completely out of left field and completely original. You just have to look some. So I agree that we're not seeing a lot of big waves like we did with grunge. 

I’m with you there. My favorite description of Dillinger Escape Plan (for instance) is “still the leaders in a genre of one”.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Buzzrock said:

I meant a big rock wave, something capable of producing a Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were  the wave that started killing it.

That's the point where the record business decided everything had to sound like that.

Edited by DougO

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah but until the big media companies took over all the radio stations regionalism was still alive.  That's when it went in to over drive IMO.

If anyone's interested in this particular topic, check out "Before the Music Dies" - it's a little dated now (related to streaming, digital file sharing, etc.), but it examines the turning point you're referring to.

(Oh, and you might catch the sounds of my band at the time throughout the soundtrack, but that's just a little bonus!  Their drummer was a handsome, talented sex god, from what I've been told).

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think Greta Van Fleet is trying to work an algorithm.  I think they’re very talented musicians who love Zeppelin and have no creativity.

Haven't they tried to tell people they had no idea what Led Zeppelin sounded like until everyone pointed out that GVF sounds just like them?

Let's set the record straight, at least as of April 2018:

Robert Plant Talks Greta Van Fleet: He Borrowed His Voice from Somebody I Know Very Well

By Damian Fanelli April 04, 2018

Robert Plant—he of Led Zeppelin, Honeydrippers and Band of Joy fame—recently commented on the somewhat familiar sound of up-and-coming rockers Greta Van Fleet—especially the impressive pipes of their lead singer, Josh Kiszka.

"There's a band in Detroit called Greta Van Fleet. They are Led Zeppelin I," Plant told Loudwire. "Beautiful little singer, I hate him! He borrowed [his voice] from somebody I know very well, but what are you going to do? At least he's got a bit of style, because he’s said he based his whole style on Aerosmith [eye roll]."

Considering their big, riff-heavy sound, the Frankenmuth, Michigan-based foursome have been compared to mighty Led Zep several thousand times over the past few years—not that they mind.

“Are you kidding me? I embrace it!” guitarist Jake Kiszka (Josh's brother) told Guitar World. “That big riff style that [Jimmy] Page pioneered is something that always excited me. I think it’s a little sad that huge rock riffs are lacking in a lot of today’s music. Maybe if people see what we’re doing and how cool it is, we can help make it come back.”

As for Plant's Led Zeppelin I comment, Jake indirectly agrees. As he told Guitar World in March, “We have certain debut records that are like benchmarks to us—Van Halen’s first record, Zeppelin’s first, even the Black Crowes’ Shake Your Money Maker. Those records really seemed to sum up each band so well. Those albums are like the gold standard, and they give us something to shoot for. It’s like, ‘Can we be that good?’ ”

By the way, Greta Van Fleet also have captured the attention of Joe Satriani, who told NJ Arts in February: "I've been listening to this young band, Greta Van Fleet, and I'm really enjoying that exuberance that I'm hearing. When I first heard them, I sent their album to all my friends that were in my high-school band. We're still good friends and we stay in touch and, I swear, that's what we were trying to do when we were 15 years old.

"We were just trying to be like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and The Stones, but these guys are really good at it! [Laughs] They have that same kind of... it just sounds like they love music and they love what they're doing and yeah, I've been listening to that quite a bit."

Somewhat interesting perspective from this guy:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jason-bonham-on-greta-van-fleet-i-worry-the-hype-will-ruin-them/

On Michigan rockers GRETA VAN FLEET, who often draw comparisons to LED ZEPPELIN:

Jason: "I got an alert, because it had all this LED ZEPPELIN thing about it. I'd have been annoyed if I'd been Robert [Plant]. I'd have been annoyed if they said that he sounded like Robert. Robert did not sound like that. Robert was amazing, and still is, but when he was in his young days, his voice was miles [better], just in a different league. Just because he sings high and he does his hand-on-the-hip thing, I just worry the hype that the band are getting, it will ruin them. I wish them all the very best. People should just love them for what they are, and not try and keep comparing them to ZEPPELIN, because it will kill them in the end. It will sometimes hurt them. Trust me — I know that, because for me, it takes a hell of a lot when you play drums and your dad's John Bonham, the comparisons sometimes can be the hardest things to get past. I wish them all the very best, but I thought [they sounded] more [like] BLACK CROWES than ZEPPELIN myself."

Edited by DougO

I think it's pretty classy of the real Led Zeppelin guys to have said very little to nothing about GVF, whether you or they like them or not. Plant's comments were tongue in cheek, but obviously noting the attempt at being Zep-like. His comments don't seem overly negative or positive, just that they exist. Why take a shot at your own legacy? If somebody's trying to copy them, it's only going to bring more attention to Zeppelin.