New longest non-stop

midtown

I did Detroit to Tokyo in coach after a long out of town wedding weekend.  That was brutal.

I remember getting on the plane, eating, watching a movie, sleeping for a bit, then looking at my watch and realizing we still had 8 hours.  The best part was that when I checked in it offered my business class upgrade with miles (of which I had a ton) and I was so hungover I just skipped it as I was trying to get checked in as quickly as possible.

i flew on Etihad from NYC to Dubai a couple of times. 12.5 hrs over and 14.5 hrs back. we flew First class on the first trip and business on the second. i had a wonderful experience and really did not want to get off the plane on the first trip. it was an incredible experience and could have easily spent another 5-6 hours on the plane. 

24 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i flew on Etihad from NYC to Dubai a couple of times. 12.5 hrs over and 14.5 hrs back. we flew First class on the first trip and business on the second. i had a wonderful experience and really did not want to get off the plane on the first trip. it was an incredible experience and could have easily spent another 5-6 hours on the plane. 

Yup, coming home from my honeymoon we had a tailwind and the trip was shortened by an hour.  First class on Asiana drinking champagne the whole way home.

Long Haul CSB: Guy I’ve known since I was kid worked for Shell for 20+ years. For quite some time he spent two weeks of every month in Brunei. IAH to Tokyo to Guam to Brunei. One day his boss appeared at his office door and told him his BusinessFirst tickets were costing too much and he’d have to fly coach. Dude just glanced up from computer and said, “Fuck that. I’ll quit this company before I fly there in coach.”  Boss replied, “OK. Nevermind”. He never mentioned again. 

Bernard

I flew HKG to DFW in January, and had premium economy which actually wasn't as terrible as I expected. I was dreading that flight especially since I had been in business on the way there. But with a window seat in Prem Economy I was able to get comfortable and throw down some red wine to get sleepy.

It helps if you stay out in Hong Kong until 4am and barely get any sleep before your flight home. The best feeling ever is when you sack the hell out on a long flight, and then wake up to find you only have like 3 hours left on your 15 hour flight. That was amazing. I felt like a time traveler.

15 hours ago, Bort said:

This would be brutal but the alternative is a 13 hour flight to Dubai and then a 7 hour fight to London. I'd rather just get it over with in one flight.

I flew Perth to London via Singapore (Singapore Air) 4 years ago.   About a 2 hour layover, wasn't bad at all, except we left Perth like 2am local time so that airport wait was pretty brutal.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I flew Hobby to Love once.

Lulz.  I flew San Antonio to Austin once due to a routing fuck-up (flight originated in Albuquerque, but had a few San Antonio stragglers on the plane due to a cancelled flight, so had to stop there first).  Took 17 minutes.  Flew so low I recognized the Circle C HEB (it was open).  Sky waitress refused to let me jump out there.  Cost me a good 45 minutes.

I would die if I had to take a 12+ hour flight, f dat.

I did LAX to Sydney in coach in a United 747 without seatback entertainment.  Yes, this was within the past 4 years.  That's how bad United sucks.

I'm a tightwad so I'll do anything in coach.  Did IAH to Tokyo and it wasn't bad.  Flying a Japanese airline makes the difference.

Edited by texasdago

So much depends on the airline and the seat. In my head, there's a formula:

Coach on Middle Eastern airlines > Coach on Asian airlines > Coach on Virgin American > Coach on JetBlue > Coach on Southwest >  Coach on American > Coach on regional airlines > Coach on European budget airlines

54 minutes ago, zman13 said:

Coach on Middle Eastern airlines > Coach on Asian airlines > Coach on Virgin American > Coach on JetBlue > Coach on Southwest >  Coach on American > Coach on regional airlines > Coach on European budget airlines

Where does Lufthansa fall? on their 747 coach sucked. I year the 380 is better...

I took an Ambien on a longhaul once.  Fell asleep just before take off.  Woke up during landing.  It felt like a 5 minute flight.

Took more of it on the way back while watching a laptop movie and the screen and keyboard started melting.  Like hallucinating melting.

That was my last time flying corch

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I took an Ambien on a longhaul once.  Fell asleep just before take off.  Woke up during landing.  It felt like a 5 minute flight.

Took more of it on the way back while watching a laptop movie and the screen and keyboard started melting.  Like hallucinating melting.

That was my last time flying corch

I can't imagine taking Ambien on a flight. I'd be afraid I'd wake up curled up with the passenger next to me as he looked on in horror.

21 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Coach for 17 hours is one of Dante's circles of hell, I believe. Frankly biz class would suck too.

Did it multiple times to Australia after IBM eliminated business class. Luckliy I'm not 6-4 or something. Only flew the direct Sydney/DFW once - much easier to go thru LA after 12 hours.

I did 18 hours in a KC-10 from Barksdale AFB in Shreveport to Guam in a jump seat with about 50 other airmen. This was back in the mid 90s, nothing to occupy time but magazines and books. Even Spirit Airlines cant touch that for misery lol.

3 hours ago, zman13 said:

SQ and Cathay are solid tho

6 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Lulz.  I flew San Antonio to Austin once due to a routing fuck-up (flight originated in Albuquerque, but had a few San Antonio stragglers on the plane due to a cancelled flight, so had to stop there first).  Took 17 minutes.  Flew so low I recognized the Circle C HEB (it was open).  Sky waitress refused to let me jump out there.  Cost me a good 45 minutes.

Back in the early 2000s there was a scheduled Delta flight from Austin to San Antonio that I ended up on because I was on a trip to Salt Lake City.  I could have sworn it was less than 17 minutes.  But in any case it was quite the short hop.

But talking about long flights... I was once on a super-budget airline Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumpur to London.  16 hours, cramped seating, middle seat, & very few amenities.  I'm just glad I pre-selected and paid for a meal when I booked, because those who didn't were SOL.

37 minutes ago, Iowa Horn said:

Back in the early 2000s there was a scheduled Delta flight from Austin to San Antonio that I ended up on because I was on a trip to Salt Lake City.  I could have sworn it was less than 17 minutes.  But in any case it was quite the short hop.

Delta had that same flight in the late 1980's. Flew it many times on ski trips to SLC.

5 hours ago, Iowa Horn said:

I like that for operational , or other reasons , they swap a big ass widebody on a shorthaul.  So you might get a B777 or such serving a <2 hour flight

On 3/29/2018 at 2:06 PM, Native Horn said:

Did the sa to aus hop once when my BA flight got routed to SA as result of weather. Sat on the tarmac there and then hopped to Austin. According to th pilot, SA had no way to deplane the Dreamliner. 

Edited by Anastasis

DFW-LHR.  7 hour layover.  LHR-CPT.  In coach.  Despite the fact that the savings on the tickets paid for 2 weeks in South Africa, we won't ever do that again.  Worse was JNB-MAD-DFW on the way home, because there was nothing to look forward to.