Old Yearbook Scandals

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, SDG said:

No one should give a shit about dumbshit things that happened 30 years ago as long as you didn’t break a law.  Should you have to answer questions? Yeah, but it’s not an indictment.  

No, it isn't an indictment.

It's also not OK for someone who did this dumbshit thing to be the governor of Virginia. Or anywhere, really. He can stay on if he wants, but he'll be useless politically.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

No, it isn't an indictment.

It's also not OK for someone who did this dumbshit thing to be the governor of Virginia. Or anywhere, really. He can stay on if he wants, but he'll be useless politically.

Let the majority decide them. I’m in the it doesn’t move the needle for me camp because no one is sinless except god.  

Unfortunately Predicit doesnt have odds on whether or not Northam stays in office, because with today's political climate, I dont see him surviving this. I'm guessing that he will spend a week or two apologizing and seeing if he can hang on, but ultimately he will have to resign. Sweet costume bro, hope all the chuckles and high fives were worth it.

It's insensitive, sure, and wildly so, but it's clearly some sort of costume party.  If someone goes to a costume party as Hitler, does that make them a Nazi sympathizer or anti-Semite?

You can draw the conclusion that he was something of an insensitive clod or troglodyte, but I don't think you can reasonably conclude that he's a racist from that photo.

I think the guy's record for the past 30 years should trump a youthful case of bad taste.

Now, it may be true that he should have oppo'ed himself.  But I dont remember all the stupid shit I may have done 30 years ago, some or a lot of which may have been inconsistent with my real values.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's insensitive, sure, and wildly so, but it's clearly some sort of costume party.  If someone goes to a costume party as Hitler, does that make them a Nazi sympathizer or anti-Semite?

You can draw the conclusion that he was something of an insensitive clod or troglodyte, but I don't think you can reasonably conclude that he's a racist from that photo.

I think the guy's record for the past 30 years should trump a youthful case of bad taste.

Holy shit

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He was 25.  It was 1984.  He could have gotten out in front of this at anytime.

He should resign for being a dumbass both then and now.

Possibly, yes.  I think he should answer for it and he is doing so.  But I am not willing to conclude, from that photo, that he is some type of virulent racist.

The quote and the vette photo are pretty hideous as well.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Him being a racist is irrelevant as to his resignation in my opinion.  Being in a position as powerful as the governor of Virginia and having this in your past is unacceptable and sends the wrong message to those he wishes to serve.

Even if it’s just an innocent costume in jest it’s really hard to get around the horrific political optics of KluKluxKlan member and blackface.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

This is recoverable if you handle it right. The right reflective attitude about who you were versus what you are now.

It depends on the truth surrounding the photo.  Like if an investigative journalist went and interviewed old classmates, what would they find? 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

This is recoverable if you handle it right. The right reflective attitude about who you were versus what you are now.

I gave you shit in the DC Protest thread, but this is a good, reasonable take.  People make mistakes.  The key is to learn from them and to become a better person.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I gave you shit in the DC Protest thread, but this is a good, reasonable take.  People make mistakes.  The key is to learn from them and to become a better person.  

Yep, something to the effect of, "I didn't intend any harm to anyone by my poor choice of costume.  I realize now that it was insensitive and hurtful and that the very insensitivity it reflects characterizes an aspect of the subtle racial inequality that continues to this day.  I am deeply sorry for having participated in that."

Tl; dr, I'm woke, mofos please dont kick me out.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Not in this case, this was an inside hit job by the Democrats.  Do you think it is of no coincidence that this photo appears right after his remarks on third trimester abortions?  Those remarks not only made it politically impossible for that bill to pass in Virginia it is going to be too hot of an issue for it to pass in other states now as well.  To the Democratic national political machine that is as much of an unforgivable sin as Vito Corleone's driver setting him up to be whacked at the fruit stand.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Just ask our Energy Secretary, unless he's away hunting at Niggerhead.

23 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Not in this case, this was an inside hit job by the Democrats.  Do you think it is of no coincidence that this photo appears right after his remarks on third trimester abortions?  Those remarks not only made it politically impossible for that bill to pass in Virginia it is going to be too hot of an issue for it to pass in other states now as well.  To the Democratic national political machine that is as much of an unforgivable sin as Vito Corleone's driver setting him up to be whacked at the fruit stand.

Yeah, right.  That must be it. 

42 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Yep. They are eating there own now. Anywhere from 86 to 90 % of Americans have been against third trimester abortions for the last 22 years.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235469/trimesters-key-abortion-views.aspx

This moron outed himself to a degree that even the favorable media couldn't hide. These 2020 Dem candidates are walking themselves away from this guy like he was covered in radioactive doodoo.

Edited by Crusher