If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

I would imagine Mike has been letting it be known to management for a bit. You have to think having Jake on with Corby was a bit of a trial run. Corby and Danny cannot carry a sports show. Maybe Sirois gets his chance. 

I guess Rhyner and Jason Garrett had a pact?

Edited by mdmost

OK... Let's all play Fantasy Program Director:  

1.  BaD to drive time.  Move Jake up to host.  Make Mino producer.  

2.  Use chaos to force Norm out.  Move Sirois up to host.

3. Get Gen X Davey involved somehow. 

4. @grubes solo show noon to 3. 

Edited by Continental Op
  • Like 1

Wilonsky spoke with Mike

Mike Rhyner, founder of The Ticket and a Dallas radio fixture since the 1970s, is off the air

The former KZEW on-air personality’s surprise retirement came via social media Monday

The Ticket Sports Radio's Mike Rhyner speaks during a panel discussion celebrating the 20th anniversary of the station at Dallas Convention Center in Dallas, Texas, Friday, January 24, 2014.
The Ticket Sports Radio's Mike Rhyner speaks during a panel discussion celebrating the 20th anniversary of the station at Dallas Convention Center in Dallas, Texas, Friday, January 24, 2014.(Allison Slomowitz - Special Contributor)

By Robert Wilonsky

3:51 PM on Jan 6, 2020

This story is breaking will be updated throughout the afternoon.

Mike Rhyner has retired.

The Texas Radio Hall of Famer, who began on Dallas radio in 1979 and in 1994 co-founded The Ticket, made the stunning announcement Monday that he will no longer appear on “The Hardline.” That’s the afternoon show he has co-hosted since the station went on the air almost 26 years ago.

He made the announcement via social media just after 3 p.m. Monday. That video, he said, was made in mid-December – the first day after he began Christmas vacation.

But Rhyner said in an interview Monday he has known “the time was right to step away” since early fall. And nothing happened between then and now to change his mind.

pic.twitter.com/2gw2sgAXLI

— Mike Rhyner (@theoldgreywolf) January 6, 2020

“It just reached a point to where it really felt like the right thing to do,” Rhyner told The Dallas Morning News. “I started to think about it early in the fall and kept waiting for something to jar me out of that idea. And it never came. Before long I reached – it almost sounds crazy – an almost Zen-like state with it. I guess I hit such a point of acceptance nothing could shake me. And nothing has.”

Rhyner said he did not tell his co-host, Corby Davidson; nor the station’s program director, Jeff Catlin. Only Dan Bennett, Cumulus Media’s regional vice president, was in the loop. Rhyner said Bennett tried to talk him out of it, to no avail.

“He saw he wasn’t going to get very far,” Rhyner said. “I think he saw I was pretty dug in on it.”

Around 3:40 p.m. Monday, “The Hardline” played the audio of his farewell.

Afterward, morning-show co-host Gordon Keith said, “It’s amazing and shocking.”

Rhyner’s “Hardline” co-host Corby Davidson did not find out until last week.

“The story is: He just got to a great place and decided this was the time and pulled the ripchord,” said Ticket morning-show co-host Craig Miller. “I’m happy for him.’

Wow. Was not ready for this. Would love to see BAD Radio get afternoon drive.

If they try to stick it out with Corby and Danny they will need someone that can actually talk sports and watches games. Jake maybe can fill that. Also count me as someone who wants Davey involved full time in some capacity. 

• Like 2

It's very interesting that I do not give one total shit about the Hardline not discussing the new Cowboys head coach. I'm good with an entire HL that's just about Rhyner. It really speaks to the power of the station and what Rhyner built. It also helps that the station has had over 7 hours of non-stop Mike McCarthy talk. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1