AVP/FIVB Beach Volleyball, anyone?

wood

JFC. I've met him a couple of times. Hung out with his parents a lot the last two years at the AVP here at Krieg. Nice, nice people. Unreal. Damn. My kid met Eric this year and he was very encouraging and friendly. Him & his dad kept telling him that outside of California, boys generally start playing VB when they're freshmen, so he should go for it. (My kid is a 6' 3" freshman & still growing, & just getting started in VB)

Damn.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hermosa this week. Bad news for Summer Ross... 

With Stadium Court seats stacked, let’s look at the pros who are hoping to be spraying champagne there two days from now. 🍾 Some of the mainstays of the top of the Entry List are out this weekend for an Olympic qualifier in Tokyo. But never fear, the AVP Family is still well-represented! On the women’s side, your top seeds are Emily Day and Betsi Flint at #1 (1-0 on the day), young-gun Terese Cannon and Irene Pollock at #2, and Amanda Dowdy and Corinne Quiggle (1-0 on the day) at #3, all of whom are hoping to take home their first trophy of the season. 🏆 You also can’t count out Sara Hughes, who is coming fresh off the unfortunate news that Summer Ross needs to step away from play to rehab a longstanding back injury. Hughes is instead playing with NCAA star and former teammate, Abril Bustamante. The two fought their way through a deep line-up of Qualifiers yesterday (because of a late entry) to get to the Main Draw where they sit at #5. How deep? Between the men’s and women’s teams, there were 224 pairs battling for just 16 spots yesterday! That’s the second-largest Qualifiers we have EVER had at the AVP!

https://avp.com/brackets

On 6/6/2019 at 5:07 PM, spystud13 said:

Pretty big news on the college front, USC’s coach is stepping down. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Dain Blanton get the gig. 

https://usctrojans.com/news/2019/6/6/womens-beach-volleyball-two-time-national-coach-of-the-year-anna-collier-retires-from-collegiate-coaching.aspx

This guy... 

Hermosa this week. Bad news for Summer Ross... 
With Stadium Court seats stacked, let’s look at the pros who are hoping to be spraying champagne there two days from now. Some of the mainstays of the top of the Entry List are out this weekend for an Olympic qualifier in Tokyo. But never fear, the AVP Family is still well-represented! On the women’s side, your top seeds are Emily Day and Betsi Flint at #1 (1-0 on the day), young-gun Terese Cannon and Irene Pollock at #2, and Amanda Dowdy and Corinne Quiggle (1-0 on the day) at #3, all of whom are hoping to take home their first trophy of the season. You also can’t count out Sara Hughes, who is coming fresh off the unfortunate news that Summer Ross needs to step away from play to rehab a longstanding back injury. Hughes is instead playing with NCAA star and former teammate, Abril Bustamante. The two fought their way through a deep line-up of Qualifiers yesterday (because of a late entry) to get to the Main Draw where they sit at #5. How deep? Between the men’s and women’s teams, there were 224 pairs battling for just 16 spots yesterday! That’s the second-largest Qualifiers we have EVER had at the AVP!
https://avp.com/brackets

Hot as piss this weekend here for hermosa. Watched a little yesterday. Heading over in moment for today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/16/2019 at 1:09 PM, wood said:

JFC. I've met him a couple of times. Hung out with his parents a lot the last two years at the AVP here at Krieg. Nice, nice people. Unreal. Damn. My kid met Eric this year and he was very encouraging and friendly. Him & his dad kept telling him that outside of California, boys generally start playing VB when they're freshmen, so he should go for it. (My kid is a 6' 3" freshman & still growing, & just getting started in VB)

Damn.

yeah this is terrible. just terrible. seemed like a unique and genuine guy. great player. hit lots of my austin sand friends pretty hard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Finals tape-delayed on NBCSN now. 

Yeah I went to Amazon expecting all the day 3 matches to be available like they were earlier in the season, but it was just highlights. Pretty fucking disappointing.

We had originally planned to be at Hermosa for the tourney, but that fell through. Sucks.

Surprised to see Field/Bomgren not make Sunday. Field is still raw with big high & low swings. I think the sky's the limit for him once develops the consistency he needs. I could see him getting with someone like Benesh later on and being just scary.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Since I’m sure everyone was eagerly awaiting the new AVP schedule... 

The Huntington Beach Open will now take place October 2-4, and our 2020 AVP Pro Tour will kick-off in New York City on June 19-21.

2020 AVP Pro Tour Schedule: 

Gold Series New York City Open - June 19-21
Hermosa Beach Open - July 24-26
Gold Series Manhattan Beach Open - August 14-16
Gold Series Championship Chicago - September 4-6
Hawaii Open - September 18-20
Huntington Beach Open - October 2-4

10 hours ago, ss13 said:

Since I’m sure everyone was eagerly awaiting the new AVP schedule... 

Yeah I saw that earlier. The schedule had been out for a few weeks, with Austin in mid-May. Made me & my kid sick when we saw that Austin had dropped off because virus. The hits just keep coming ...

Edited by wood

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, ss13 said:

Season is finally underway from Long Beach. Amazon Prime has coverage all weekend, also on NBC from 2:30-4 tomorrow & 3:30-5 Sunday. 

Brackets

Dang. Too bad we can't watch the Qualifier (or at least I can't find it if it's there). There were some pretty big upsets. 

Yeah, they’re starting coverage today. This was my email from yesterday... 

Starting tomorrow, you can watch the AVP Champions Cup Series action throughout the weekend on Amazon Prime Video HERE. We will be livestreaming every match & every court with on-court interviews, commentary & analysis from Kevin Barnett, Camryn Irwin & Dain Blanton, and exclusive athlete segments. Multiple camera angles and announcers on BOTH courts will give fans at-home a view like never before. With mic'd up refs, mic'd up courts, and all-day coverage, it'll feel like you're on the sand with us.

6 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Yeah, they’re starting coverage today. This was my email from yesterday...

Yeah I get those too, so I've been waiting for this. At least we get something new to watch. Re: the upsets, 5 of the 10 men's matches were upsets. WTF?

Sucked for my 16 yo boy. He just started playing indoor last fall, & was really looking forward to going out for the AVP here this year. Then it got cancelled. He's gone before, but back then, he wasn't a vball player. Now he is, so he would have felt like he was more a part of the sport.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have our first Tokyo qualifiers. 

So dominant, April Ross and Alix Klineman mathematically clinched a spot in the Tokyo Olympics with five major beach volleyball tournaments left before the deadline.

Ross, a silver and bronze medalist, and Klineman, an Olympic rookie, secured one of the two U.S. women’s team spots in Tokyo earlier this month — winning a tournament in Doha during which the rest of the early 2021 schedule was announced, adding clarity to the Olympic qualifying picture.

The international volleyball federation (FIVB) confirmed Friday that there are currently no plans to add additional major tournaments before the June Olympic qualifying cutoff. Even if plans change and an additional major tournament is added, Ross and Klineman have enough of a cushion that they would still be mathematically secure.

Ross and Klineman are the favorites this summer, looking to become the second U.S. women’s duo to win an Olympic beach volleyball title. Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor did so in 2004, 2008 and 2012.

After May-Treanor retired, Ross and Walsh Jennings took bronze in 2016 and split in 2017. In 2018, Ross began playing tournaments with Klineman, taking a chance on the 6-foot-5, former Stanford indoor star who had never played an international beach event.

“It was the safe choice or the choice I thought was challenging but had the most potential,” Ross said in announcing the partnership more than three years ago. “She could keep playing indoor [professionally in Europe or Brazil] and keep making a good amount of money. She’s out here on the beach because she wants to go to the Olympics, and she has something to prove.”

Ross and Klineman won their first tournament together. In 2019, the following year, they were second at the world championships.

They are 18-0 between the domestic AVP and FIVB World Tour since last summer, including three match wins over world champions Melissa Humana-Paredes and Sarah Pavan of Canada.

Ross is the second American to qualify for Olympic beach volleyball tournaments with three different partners after Holly McPeak. Ross, 38, and Klineman, 31, will be joined in Tokyo by one other U.S. women’s pair.

Walsh Jennings, 42, and her new partner, Rio Olympian Brooke Sweat, lead the standings for the final spot, which could be up for grabs into June before the Olympic qualifying deadline. Kelly Claes and Sarah Sponcil and Kelley Kolinske and Emily Stockman also have a chance.

The picture could become clear next month, when back-to-back-to-back tournaments are held in Cancun, Mexico. There will be two more significant qualifying events after that.

U.S. Olympic men’s qualifying remains a three-team fight for two spots among 2008 Olympic champion Phil Dalhausser and Nick Lucena, Taylor Crabb and Jake Gibb and Tri Bourne and Trevor Crabb.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the Women’s side, Sarah Sponcil and Kelly Claes secured their first-ever FIVB Gold medal in Sochi to supersede Kerri Walsh-Jennings and Brooke Sweat for the second USA Olympic spot in the process. With Walsh-Jennings and Sweat losing in the Qualifiers of the Ostrava FIVB 4-Star tournament today, Claes and Sponcil have officially secured their Olympic bid, making them the youngest Team USA duo to ever do so!

End of the road for Kerri. Helluva career. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Perfect, now only about 15% of the country will be able to watch. 

Only 15% of people can see Fox Sports (now Bally Sports)? I had no idea it was that low. Every cable package I've had since Fox Sports became a thing has carried it.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops. 

American beach volleyball player Taylor Crabb tested positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Japan and is unlikely to be able to compete at the Tokyo Olympics, according to multiple newsmedia reports Wednesday.

The Orange County Register and an NBC affiliate in Los Angeles each reported that Crabb, 29, recorded a positive test over the weekend, which would likely preclude him from competing in his first scheduled match with partner Jake Gibb on Sunday.

Crabb's brother, Trevor, told the NBC affiliate that Taylor is "fine and healthy and should be allowed to play, in my personal opinion."

Taylor Crabb would be the first U.S. athlete to be ruled out of competing at the Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19 in Japan.

USA Volleyball confirmed in a statement that one of its members tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival but declined to provide any other additional details, including the identity of the person.

"The health and safety of our athletes, coaches and staff is our top priority," the organization said in a statement. "We can confirm that a member of Team USA tested positive upon their arrival into Japan. In alignment with local rules and protocols, the athlete has been transferred to a hotel. Out of respect for the individual’s privacy, we cannot provide more information at this time."

A spokesperson for the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee declined comment.

USA Volleyball added that "there are protocols in place for a replacement athlete and we are pursuing that option."

"However nothing has been confirmed yet," it said.

The Orange County Register reported that Tri Bourne is expected to replace Crabb on the two-man team, and partner with Gibb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice. Austin, and hopefully Hermosa - right after my kid's trip to USAV Boys Indoor Nationals in Vegas. I've taken them to the Austin tournament a couple of times. Now I wanna show them what it's like on a real beach.

For me, Hermosa is the best.

ETA: Those are pretty late dates for Huntington and Clearwater. Wow.

Edited by wood