Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Glad you started this thread.  Is it me or is the present-day men's L sized shirt more like an XL was 10 years ago?  My theory is that they keep amping up the sizes.

Absolutely, except not all brands. But I now wear large in casual clothes except t-shirts which stay XL and I’m 6’2”. I was always in XL on everything ten years ago and my dress shirt size hasn’t changed in that time.

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

People that weigh less should be able to fly for less. 

IMO They are definitely doing the trickeration with sizes that women’s clothes manufacturers have been doing. I used to wear a large many years ago, now 10# heavier, I wear medium. 

lol You fellas have no idea about all the sizing shenanigans that have been going on for decades with women’s clothing.

And don’t get me started on the inconsistency, even within the same brand.

I bought some jeans at Old Navy recently and depending on the cut of the leg (boot, straight, ankle) I wore anywhere from a size 4 to a size 8.

There is no reason one body should have a three size variance in the same fucking brand.

And then there’s the whole boyfriend cut and rockstar cut and curvy cut and flare cut and power cut.

And then there’s skinny jeans, which are a whole other circle of hell.

And fuck you if you’re short like me. At 5’3”, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a pair of jeans that didn’t have to be hemmed. Because the short length or petite cut don’t fall right and make me look stumpy and ankle length cuts hit the top of my shoes and look stupid.

Seriously, buying women’s clothing is actual hell. So when your ladies buy the same thing in 7 different colors, there’s a real reason besides being a spendy bitch.

It’s because if we find something that looks good and fits right, by god give us one in every color made because we may never find a pair of cute work pants that look good again.

And there’s your totally unwanted insight into the insanity that is womenswear.

And PS - the more expensive the brand is, the more bullshittery there is with the sizing.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Glad you started this thread.  Is it me or is the present-day men's L sized shirt more like an XL was 10 years ago?  My theory is that they keep amping up the sizes.

I will confirm this. I have a few 80's Ocean Pacific shirts. The 80's "large" is equivalent to a current "medium".

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol You fellas have no idea about all the sizing shenanigans that have been going on for decades with women’s clothing.

I bought some jeans at Old Navy recently and depending on the cut of the leg (boot, straight, ankle) I wore anywhere from a size 4 to a size 8.

There is no reason one body should have a three size variance in the same fucking brand.

And then there’s the whole boyfriend cut and rockstar cut and curvy cut and flare cut and power cut.

And fuck you if you’re short like me. At 5’3”, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a pair of jeans that didn’t have to be hemmed. Because the short length or petite cut don’t fall right and make me look stumpy and ankle length cuts hit the top of my shoes and look stupid.

Seriously, buying women’s clothing is actual hell. So when your ladies buy the same thing in 7 different colors, there’s a real reason besides being a spendy bitch.

It’s because if we find something that looks good and fits right, by god give us one in every color made because we may never find a pair of cute work pants that look good again.

And PS - the more expensive the brand is, the more bullshittery there is with the sizing.

Do you and my gf have a message board for women similar to Surly where yall find similar things to complain about? She's 5' and cant find anything to fit length wise (heh) at Old Navy.

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I've had different sizes in different COLORS of the same exact item. Old Navy is the worst about that, although I do like their clothes in general. 

13 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I just think there’s a wide variety in sizing.  I’m 6’1 230 (spare tire + some muscles) and wear L, XL, and occasionally 2x depending on the brand.  I have Ls in one brand that are bigger than XL in another.  It’s fairly annoying.

You seem to forget you are on surly where everyone is a 1 percenter and only wears bespoke clothing. I had to assemble the downstairs help to help make sense of this post and now lunch is running 5 minutes behind schedule.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

what are the bf and rockstar cuts?

YES! It’s all very confusing and stupid.

And that’s just Old Navy.

Now imagine that they do the same shit at every single store.

And that’s why sometimes I just give up and go to Target when I need a basic pair of jeans or a white top.

They don’t fuck around too much with 32 different kinds of cuts and styles, it’s affordable, and frankly, the quality isn’t too bad for what you’re paying for.

I bet austingirl and I could really do y’alls heads in if we started in on the fraudulent disasters that are makeup, skincare, hair care, and “feminine” products.

Having a vagina is no picnic. There’s a reason we say/do stupid stuff - we’ve got a lot of stuff to think about!

• Like 3

The mannequins in the OP are obese, and most likely so are the people who buy those clothes. I’m not fat shaming them, I’m stating a medical fact. If those mannequins went to a doctor, he would classify them as obese, meaning they have a BMI index of 30 or higher. With obesity there is an increase in medical problems like diabetes, stroke, cancer, and heart disease. 

I think body positivity is a good thing, and having realistic mannequins should be a part of it, but the whole “big is beautiful” movement is sending the wrong message. No, I don’t mean larger can’t be considered beautiful. I mean implying that obese is normal and okay. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

My wife is the complete opposite regarding inseam. She is 6’ and seldom finds a pair of jeans that are long enough to wear anything but possibly sandals. When she does find them she will buy 3 or 4 pair...after she tries each pair on while I hold her purse with all of the other dumb ass husbands.

And like you said in your other post. She pretty much hits Target for the same reason you do. She feels the price is decent for what she gets. The only other store she finds anything that fits is Gap. But that is always a crap shoot.

The mannequins in the OP are obese, and most likely so are the people who buy those clothes. I’m not fat shaming them, I’m stating a medical fact. If those mannequins went to a doctor, he would classify them as obese, meaning they have a BMI index of 30 or higher. With obesity there is an increase in medical problems like diabetes, stroke, cancer, and heart disease. 
I think body positivity is a good thing, and having realistic mannequins should be a part of it, but the whole “big is beautiful” movement is sending the wrong message. No, I don’t mean larger can’t be considered beautiful. I mean implying that obese is normal and okay. 

I’m pretty sure the doctor would be more concerned with their blood pressure, lack of detectable pulse, and Made in China tag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jester said:

Guys that got laid. 

Man, I had to check this.  I vividly remember those horribad jeans listed.  Everyone I knew wore cowboy cuts or 501s, no rolling.  Maybe some flock of seagulls or miami vice type or some other variety of KC faget, but not at the University of by God Texas with any regularity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

My wife is the complete opposite regarding inseam. She is 6’ and seldom finds a pair of jeans that are long enough to wear anything but possibly sandals. When she does find them she will buy 3 or 4 pair...after she tries each pair on while I hold her purse with all of the other dumb ass husbands.

And like you said in your other post. She pretty much hits Target for the same reason you do. She feels the price is decent for what she gets. The only other store she finds anything that fits is Gap. But that is always a crap shoot.

Buckle is your wife's friend.

10 hours ago, Augustus said:

My girlfriend bought me a couple of (L) shirts from a place called Zara.

Apparently, Zara is Spanish for anorexic.

Grownups can't shop at the kids stores. When you officially get your man card you get awarded girth in places that won't allow you to dawn an H&M shirt even if you are trim.