Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

She is getting eviscerated for these comments but she’s not wrong. Lizzo is obese. She’s statistically more likely to suffer from diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. There is nothing wrong with body positivity, but there is also nothing wrong with promoting healthy life choices. 

Almost everyone equates looks with health, and the two can be at complete opposites. But since many think of both as the same, if someone is told that they are at an unhealthy weight, some hear that as you're shaming me for being fat, you should be destroyed.

It's one thing (the right thing) to call out those who fat shame and denigrate the obese.  It's an entirely different issue to virtue signal and promote, glamorize, or even encourage it.

What this trainer is actually saying is pretty basic and makes perfect sense, but there's a lot of emotion on the other side of the issue and the common sense of her message gets lost in the "feelings" associated with what they chose to hear vs. what she really said.

A little harsher way of saying what she did, is that she cares about their lives more than their feelings.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

Also pretty important to remember that a lot of this is marketing and media driven and people suck it up to bolster their self esteem. 

Magazines and retailers pushing the big is beautiful mantra care neither about the health nor feelings of these women.  They’re playing on basic human emotions generate income - consequences be damned. 

• 1 month later...

Lawmakers and advocates are planning to gather at the Massachusetts Statehouse to push legislation that would ban body size discrimination.

The bill is sponsored by Democratic Sen. Becca Rausch of Needham and Democratic Rep. Tram Nguyen of Andover.

At an event at the Statehouse on Tuesday, Rausch and Tram plan to join advocates and eating disorder experts to talk about the hidden impact of weight discrimination in employment, health care, and education.

The bill aims to make discrimination on the basis of height and weight illegal in Massachusetts while also addressing body size stigma and the discrimination that often accompanies it.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/08/massachusetts-bill-would-outlaw-body-size-discrimination/

Mountain bike clothing FTW.

530x298_Ogle_s_0669.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Fat shaming does not work and is actually counter productive. 

The best thing you can do for a loved one in the process of losing weight is to tell that person - "you look great - what is your secret." That is rocket fuel for most people trying to cut down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2019 at 7:07 AM, Armybrat said:

Used to be 6’.

That cracked me up. For years and years I thought I was 5 foot 10 in tall seeing as how I've never been measured since I was a senior in high school. I was shocked to find out about 10 years ago I was actually just a hair shy of 6ft.  Man oh man, 10 years later I'm headed back the other direction and stand 5'11".  Life can be so confusing sometimes.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Haha 1

Lawmakers and advocates are planning to gather at the Massachusetts Statehouse to push legislation that would ban body size discrimination.
The bill is sponsored by Democratic Sen. Becca Rausch of Needham and Democratic Rep. Tram Nguyen of Andover.
At an event at the Statehouse on Tuesday, Rausch and Tram plan to join advocates and eating disorder experts to talk about the hidden impact of weight discrimination in employment, health care, and education.
The bill aims to make discrimination on the basis of height and weight illegal in Massachusetts while also addressing body size stigma and the discrimination that often accompanies it.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/08/massachusetts-bill-would-outlaw-body-size-discrimination/
I bet both of those lawmakers are fats.
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 8 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, Parliament said:

so does this only affect breastaurants' hiring practices? 

or i guess it's more aimed at trying to stop people from being assholes at work?  

Fuck it, i am taking my tall self and applying to the jockeys' union.  triple crown here i come.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m down 30 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so. Saw my daughter sneak eating at night on her way to being overweight at 10 years old and decided- I will not model that behavior for her. 
My marketing rep saw me today and was like- you look so much better whatever you are doing keep it up. That put a bounce in my step all day and motivated me to exercise even though I worked late and couldn’t start until 8:15 in a way being fat shamed wouldn’t have. 
fat people walk around feeling shame at all times you don’t have to let them know they are fat- they are already keenly aware. Encouragement though?  That’s priceless. 

Congrats. If we did not live in Idiocracy, it would be possible both to not fat shame and to not encourage poor health. But this is 'murica where we just make shit up to be pissed about.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thanks. I’ve been good for as long as three months. I’m doing really well this time around, but the test will be if I’m still doing well in November. 

I THINK the test might be  how well you’re doing after the Arkansas Debauchery Weekend. spacer.png

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Haha 1

ah yes... stigma, discrimination, militant fat activists ...

There is a big difference between weight stigma and weight discrimination ...

http://adadsjourneywitheatingdisorders.home.blog/2021/05/03/no-weight-stigma-and-discrimination-are-different/

And how the Militant Fat Activists are doing an incredible amount of harm perpetuating their self-important and faulty viewpoints ...

http://adadsjourneywitheatingdisorders.home.blog/2021/04/26/militant-fat-activists-in-nomine-patris-et-filii-et-spiritus-sancti/

13 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thanks. I’ve been good for as long as three months. I’m doing really well this time around, but the test will be if I’m still doing well in November. 

Good on you.....motivation and discipline are two very different things.  One you do when you want to.  The other you do because there is no choice NOT to do it.  Stay on the path and be the example!

Legalizing marijuana is going to make it a little worse. I have my mj card and take an edible every once in a while. The munchies are very real. A few times I've felt bad the next morning, especially since I'm trying to train for a half-marathon and drop a few pounds. This is no reason to continue the nonsense of prohibition, but something for those new to weed need to keep an eye on.

• 10 months later...

Only a select few "Bachelor" contestants through the years have been plus size. A new fan-led campaign wants to change that.

Ahead of Monday's season premiere of "The Bachelorette," a group of fans announced a new social media initiative: Roses for Every Body, which calls on the show to regularly cast contestants with diverse body types.

"The message the 'Bachelor' is sending by only casting thin people is that thinness is a prerequisite to being given a chance at finding love," reads the Monday press release.

The group comprises eight members – a few of whom were also involved with the fan-driven Bachelor Diversity Campaign in 2020, which called for more diverse casting of people of color as contestants – and assembled by Jenna Vesper of the "Bachelor" recap podcast "Date Card Podcast."

image.thumb.png.daf9dcc19ddf9fcf176bc9dcb847b83e.png

https://money.yahoo.com/bachelor-fans-call-plus-size-181348159.html

Look, in my opinion what the Bachelor is trying to do is noble. I think their heart (insomuch as a a blood-sucking tv show business can have a heart outside of driving eyeballs) is in the right place.

That said, it does seem like these things tend to backfire. Partly because

1) It's bad business (the consumers mainly driving your business are not the audience and sometimes there are unintended effects that drive your core business away-- like what happened with Old Navy*** and potentially here if vapid beautiful people don't want to be lied to about how fat people are just as attractive as they are and it feels scripted), and

2) Sometimes it's a solution in search of a problem. Especially when the science (to say nothing of the eyeball test) is inconclusive on if the underlying premise is even true. In this case if being fat and embracing the body positivity of being fat is healthy and good for people. 

***Old Navy for those who missed it***

Old Navy went all in on the plus size stuff and spent a ton of money redesigning stores, clothing and mannequins and rolled out all clothing styles in sizes 0–30 and XS–4X. The CEO of Gap Inc., Old Navy’s parent company, called it the “largest integrated launch” in Old Navy’s history and an “important growth driver for…years to come.”

But Old Navy’s inclusive push apparently didn’t include any regard for sales. In fact the core business user was upset because the "average size clothes" were always sold out leaving the XS an XLL stuff.

Despite the initiative doubling the number of extended-size customers in the company’s database, by spring stores were scrambling to get rid of surplus merchandise—a majority of which was on opposite ends of the size range, per the WSJ. And last month, the company announced CEO Nancy Green was stepping down, saying it was time to tap someone outside of the company to bring the brand back to life.

Old Navy’s misstep is more bad news for its parent, Gap. The brand accounted for 54% of Gap’s total sales in 2021, and Gap’s stock is already down nearly 67% in the last year.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/old-navy-tried-to-make-sizes-for-all-it-backfired/98cd958d-fdfa-40b4-ae75-cc2d9a39ad92

Edited by Vegas64

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

Look, in my opinion what the Bachelor is trying to do is noble. I think their heart (insomuch as a a blood-sucking tv show business can have a heart outside of driving eyeballs) is in the right place.

That said, it does seem like these things tend to backfire. Partly because

1) It's bad business (the consumers mainly driving your business are not the audience and sometimes there are unintended effects that drive your core business away-- like what happened with Old Navy*** and potentially here if vapid beautiful people don't want to be lied to about how fat people are just as attractive as they are and it feels scripted), and

2) Sometimes it's a solution in search of a problem. Especially when the science (to say nothing of the eyeball test) is inconclusive on if the underlying premise is even true. In this case if being fat and embracing the body positivity of being fat is healthy and good for people. 

***Old Navy for those who missed it***

Old Navy went all in on the plus size stuff and spent a ton of money redesigning stores, clothing and mannequins and rolled out all clothing styles in sizes 0–30 and XS–4X. The CEO of Gap Inc., Old Navy’s parent company, called it the “largest integrated launch” in Old Navy’s history and an “important growth driver for…years to come.”

But Old Navy’s inclusive push apparently didn’t include any regard for sales. In fact the core business user was upset because the "average size clothes" were always sold out leaving the XS an XLL stuff.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/old-navy-tried-to-make-sizes-for-all-it-backfired/98cd958d-fdfa-40b4-ae75-cc2d9a39ad92

The show isn't trying to do this, it's just an online petition to which ABC's response will be.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF

I imagine that if most people wanted to see fats try to hook up with each other they would go to their local bar instead of tuning into a reality TV show.

Kind of reminds me of a line from a comedian where he said his wife was reading the latest issue of Cosmo and said to him, "It says here you need to share your deepest sexual fantasies with me."  He replied with, "Why?  You're not in any of them."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The Bachelor can easily find overweight women or men to be on the show. Then the bachelor(ette) will have the pressure to not dump them at the first chance but will slowly get rid of then. Perhaps just perhaps they will keep 1 until deep into the show because of the pressure from the producers.

People looking for a partner usually want someone that has some level of success or ambition. The ambition doesn’t have to be billionaire or Instagram fitness star level but it’s also not couch potato. Like it or not, how you take care of your health and body is part of how you convey ambition,  standards, work ethic etc.

• 3 months later...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/us/los-angeles-plus-size-models-discrimination-reaj/index.html

Two models in Los Angeles are urging other curvy women to speak out on size discrimination after saying they were denied entry to a popular lounge because of their bodies.

Alexa Jay and Ella Halikas, who first shared their story on TikTok, said they went to The Highlight Room last week to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Jay said she first spotted Halikas, a friend and fellow plus-size model, while standing in line with others who were also invited to the party and as their group got closer to the entrance, the women say everyone was allowed in—except them.

The bouncer looked them up and down and told them, “not tonight,” Jay said, adding that she felt embarrassed and humiliated that she went home.

“To get ready and get dressed up and feel so vulnerable that a man is now objectifying you at the door to see if you’re worth of coming in and having a drink or not, is the worst feeling ever,” Halikas said.

“In that moment it hurt because we have such a great following online,” said Halikas. “I have almost 600,000 followers on TikTok but the second this happens in real life, everyone is silent. No one wants to stand up for you.” 

The models said they decided to share their experience online because this isn’t the first time they have faced prejudice as plus size women.

Pic of "models". 

Spoiler

221110141226-la-plus-size-models-discrim

Hot women get one set of rules, the rest (not-as-attractive women and all guys) get another, especially at clubs.

Let's break this down. The 2 women are invited to a birthday "party" at a nightclub. If the birthday party is paying for a table, the 2 women would be able to get in. Most likely the party is a group of women that are planning to have the evening covered by men who are buying tables/bottle service. The complaining 2 are mad that they're not getting everything for free like their hot friends.

Welcome to the world. Go earn your own money, and then buy bottle service.

Not to mention that if there were really friends with the people at the party, the entire group would have left when any of them were mistreated.

I’m morbidly (no pun intended) curious to start at the beginning of this thread and see how it’s evolved over time…and will continue to evolve. Because while it’s okay to not find fat or bigger people attractive, at some point it’s not going to be politically correct (or at the very least, polite) to admit it out loud.

Being plus sized is a really strange identity and gray area still on how to socially accept and accommodate.

No one should be abused or be spoken to rudely because they're overweight or unattractive but the purpose of a doorman is to set the numbers in the club. They can be nice about it but it doesn't change the fact that you're not getting in. Or you should bring more hot friends with you. That's the price of admission.

There are realities in the world that unattractive people are required to face. I'm far, far from a regular night club goer but I understand how it works. Imagine how it plays out if a popular club allows in every woman for free regardless of looks. The guys buying bottle service don't want to buy drinks for women they find unattractive, so those guys are not showing up next weekend. When those guys don't show up, the hot women will disappear next. Then what's left over: poor guys and unattractive women. Sounds like my 20s.