Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

On 7/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, Parliament said:

Only a select few "Bachelor" contestants through the years have been plus size. A new fan-led campaign wants to change that.

Ahead of Monday's season premiere of "The Bachelorette," a group of fans announced a new social media initiative: Roses for Every Body, which calls on the show to regularly cast contestants with diverse body types.

"The message the 'Bachelor' is sending by only casting thin people is that thinness is a prerequisite to being given a chance at finding love," reads the Monday press release.

The group comprises eight members – a few of whom were also involved with the fan-driven Bachelor Diversity Campaign in 2020, which called for more diverse casting of people of color as contestants – and assembled by Jenna Vesper of the "Bachelor" recap podcast "Date Card Podcast."

image.thumb.png.daf9dcc19ddf9fcf176bc9dcb847b83e.png

https://money.yahoo.com/bachelor-fans-call-plus-size-181348159.html

Do this for Naked and Afraid.  See which one eats the other first

19.gif

On 3/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, washparkhorn said:

The best thing you can do for a loved one in the process of losing weight is to tell that person - "you look great - what is your secret." That is rocket fuel for most people trying to cut down. 

I agree that positive reinforcement is the best thing to do BUT make sure that person wants to discuss weight at all. There's a ton of emotion that surrounds excess weight and a person really needs to be receptive to discussing it even in positive connotations.  There could be a "Gosh, Washpark thought I was an ugly fatass before I started losing weight and now he comments."  Yeah, I know damned if you do, damned if you don't. People will usually initiate sharing about their weight loss if given a chance. Then you can feel out how much they want to discuss. 

58 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I agree that positive reinforcement is the best thing to do BUT make sure that person wants to discuss weight at all. There's a ton of emotion that surrounds excess weight and a person really needs to be receptive to discussing it even in positive connotations.  There could be a "Gosh, Washpark thought I was an ugly fatass before I started losing weight and now he comments."  Yeah, I know damned if you do, damned if you don't. People will usually initiate sharing about their weight loss if given a chance. Then you can feel out how much they want to discuss. 

Funny anecdote along those lines -- Several years ago the mom of one of my daughter's friends came to our house.  For some reason we hadn't seen her in quite a while, and it was obvious that she had lost a ton of weight, but I kept that to myself.  My wife at the time couldn't hide her amazement, and while she tried to be complimentary, she was overly effusive and her "Oh My God!" reaction clearly made the other woman a bit uncomfortable, probably for the very same reasons you discuss above (making the other woman somewhat ashamed of how she had looked before).  My wife's reaction even made me feel awkward.