The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Rafe was a talented dude.  Not only could he whip up a mean batch of moonshine, but after plying any unsuspecting lady with some of it, he would sweep them out of their panties with a little crooning.

You remember how adamant Thelma Lou was about Barney not being able to sing a lick. Well, yeah, obviously, but even moreso since she was probably getting regular drunken serenades from ol' Rafe, the best dadgum crooner in the county.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

Probably why he never married Helen. He didn't want to double-down on that shit.

He did end up marrying that cunt Helen at the very end of the show, or maybe it was a reunion show or something, but they did get married.  Damn, he passed up on so much fine tail to end up with a bitch.

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

He did end up marrying that cunt Helen at the very end of the show, or maybe it was a reunion show or something, but they did get married.  Damn, he passed up on so much fine tail to end up with a bitch.

He chose poorly, for sure. But I think it was in one of the reunion shows where they were married. I don't even count those as canon, they're sorta like the sequels to The Matrix. Even the in color episodes of the series were like an alternate Mayberry universe.

45 minutes ago, DougO said:

He chose poorly, for sure. But I think it was in one of the reunion shows where they were married. I don't even count those as canon, they're sorta like the sequels to The Matrix. Even the in color episodes of the series were like an alternate Mayberry universe.

Barney left after season 5, and that was the end of the show as far as I am concerned.  No Bernard P. Fife, and I'm out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Andy and Helen Get Married was the first episode of Mayberry R.F.D.

MV5BMTM1MjU5ZjktNzFkNS00MTIxLWExZWQtMGE5

On 8/17/2022 at 3:04 AM, RPM said:

siap but Bobby Troupe was married to Julie London (Dixie McCall on Emergency!) who was Jack Webb's ex-wife. The woman you're talking about was most likely Virginia Gregg who appeared in 13 different roles.

I'm watching this in order, and she was on 3 episodes in a row, playing completely different characters.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:04 AM, RPM said:

siap but Bobby Troupe was married to Julie London (Dixie McCall on Emergency!) who was Jack Webb's ex-wife. The woman you're talking about was most likely Virginia Gregg who appeared in 13 different roles.

Also SIAP, but Troupe was a songwriter, and "Get your kicks (on route 66)" is his.  London was a fine, fine jazz singer. 

Had a colorized version on tonight. So bad. 
When this was on Netflix, I binged it from episode 1. It was really cool because I've seen most of the episodes growing up but never in order. While it was just a sitcom and didn't have some unfolding plot, it was very enjoyable to watch it in order as some stuff did unfold.

But I stopped once it shifted to color. I've always heard it was terrible but never from personal experience, just from what my Dad told me and reading about it. Barney is gone and Andy's character becomes more and more angry and annoyed with everyone.

Are the color episodes worth running through at least once just to say I've seen them all? Any thing redeeming at all about them? Although not sure where I'd find them now as it's long gone from Netflix. And I'm not paying to rent or buy seasons of this. I guess I could always find when they will air on Tvland and record them that way with YouTube Tv

Helen bore Andy a son in 3rd season of Mayberry RFD as they returned home to christen the kid. There is zero reason to watch that series.

In the reunion special years later Opie is in it but Andrew the son is not mentioned.

I believe Thelma Lou would have bedded Goober or Ernest T Bass if they showed they were skillful swordsmen. Barney was likely a poor bedmate at the boarding house

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I believe as annoying as Aint Bea was as a character, supposedly Frances Bauvier was an absolute cunt.

IIRC she was a pretty big star before the show and might have been on her way to a real star. She got typecast for obvious reasons for 8 years - I can see that being a horrible mental kick despite how good the role is. 

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

IIRC she was a pretty big star before the show and might have been on her way to a real star. She got typecast for obvious reasons for 8 years - I can see that being a horrible mental kick despite how good the role is. 

She had a small part in My Darling Clementine and played Jerry Lewis' mom in The Stooge. She had several other supporting parts in films, but never anything leading. Aunt Bea was her biggest role and she won an Emmy for it in 1967. She was never married.

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Helen bore Andy a son in 3rd season of Mayberry RFD as they returned home to christen the kid. There is zero reason to watch that series.

In the reunion special years later Opie is in it but Andrew the son is not mentioned.

I believe Thelma Lou would have bedded Goober or Ernest T Bass if they showed they were skillful swordsmen. Barney was likely a poor bedmate at the boarding house

Well, we know Gomer wasn't interested

• Haha 1

so back to my "Dragnet" thread hijack. 

The guy that directed the Mayberry Choir, the Miss Mayberry Pagent, and was the hotel clerk when the Darlings came to town was played by John Masters.  

He played a judge on Dragnet, and the character had a physical handicap.  He was using crutches to get out to the courtroom and then pulled himself up to the bench.  Was the actor suffering from a physical condition?  I can't imagine that the handicap would have been written in otherwise in the late 60's.  

The googles reveal nothing. 

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The guy that directed the Mayberry Choir, the Miss Mayberry Pagent, and was the hotel clerk when the Darlings came to town was played by John Masters

No wonder your googles suck. That was the character's name. The actor was Olan Soule. He didn't have a handicap.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Are the color episodes worth running through at least once just to say I've seen them all? Any thing redeeming at all about them? 

No and no.  Just consider the show over after season 5.  BTW, Don Knotts was 5 for 5 on Best Supporting Actor Emmy's in those 5 seasons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

No and no.  Just consider the show over after season 5.  BTW, Don Knotts was 5 for 5 on Best Supporting Actor Emmy's in those 5 seasons.  

First, I miss your old avatar. It was a classic.

You're right on the shows after Barney left. I would occasionally tune in cause I had a thing for Arlene Golonka.

ag2%20(1)-1586186505757.jpg 

However, they didn't even show knees in Mayberry, so I gave that up. 

If Barney had stayed, could the show have continued to be good, or do you think they'd already done everything they could do with the characters? 

There's only so many ways Barney can screw up and then have Andy save him without letting him know he's been saved. 

The other part of me thinks that Griffith and Knotts had such great chemistry they could have put them in new situations and it still would have been great. 

Switching to color was a mistake, IMHO. 

Bringing in Jack Burns to play Warren, the deputy, was one of the worst casting decision possible. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Richard Kimball said:

If Barney had stayed, could the show have continued to be good, or do you think they'd already done everything they could do with the characters? 

There's only so many ways Barney can screw up and then have Andy save him without letting him know he's been saved. 

The other part of me thinks that Griffith and Knotts had such great chemistry they could have put them in new situations and it still would have been great. 

Switching to color was a mistake, IMHO. 

Bringing in Jack Burns to play Warren, the deputy, was one of the worst casting decision possible. 

I think the switch to color was just what everyone was doing, but I also think the B&W was what gave Mayberry its mythical feel.  Barney in color just isn't as compelling.  He came back for an episode or 2 cameo in color, and it was like watching a different character.  

Warren was the worst of the worst.

And the avatar will be back.  Just giving Vinny his well deserved due.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think the switch to color was just what everyone was doing, but I also think the B&W was what gave Mayberry its mythical feel.  Barney in color just isn't as compelling.  He came back for an episode or 2 cameo in color, and it was like watching a different character.  

Warren was the worst of the worst.

And the avatar will be back.  Just giving Vinny his well deserved due.

I thought the same thing as I Love Lucy. Was not the same when it went to color. Took a turn for the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

Barney leaving changed the whole dynamic of the show and it started withering away from there. Andy stopped being his main setup man, the likeable good guy that liked to poke a little fun, and started being the grumpy annoyed guy that was constantly bothered by the town idiots. Everybody got stupid, even Goober got stupider. And stupid carried more of the show. Aunt Bea's stupid ass, the stupid Fix-it guy Emmett, just a cranky old stupid fart, Warren the new deputy, a moron with an annoying voice, limited range, and none of Barney's elastic-faced charm as a sympathetic foil. Floyd was gone. Howard Sprague brought some of the few better moments as the town's well-meaning fish out of water nerd. But it often wore too thin. The writing just seemed to really suffer as the town's characters became boring, less unique, less likable and stale. The plots got sillier in a really ordinary way, not the really clever ways they would be silly in the earlier years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I thought the same thing as I Love Lucy. Was not the same when it went to color. Took a turn for the worst.

There were no color original episodes of I Love Lucy. You're thinking of the shows she did after ILL, The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy.

On 8/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, Sbbruin said:

Seems I saw on a Youtube channel or read somewhere that there were several actresses that had been tagged as the one that would become Andy's girlfriend.  Problem was, Andy Griffith was only interested in them becoming his TV gf, if they were involved in real life.  "Helen" was the first to fall for his advances, so she became Andy Taylor's long term interest. 

Could be bullshit, but something I've come across. 

• Like 1

She didn't cheat in the pickle contest, Andy and Barney had to eat her terrible pickles, so they swapped her pickles for store bought. Yes, the bed jacket was bullshit, but Andy got his gear back because the mayor was an idiot and never should have been mayor. Andy should have been mayor and sheriff IMHO.  

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

She didn't cheat in the pickle contest, Andy and Barney had to eat her terrible pickles, so they swapped her pickles for store bought. Yes, the bed jacket was bullshit, but Andy got his gear back because the mayor was an idiot and never should have been mayor. Andy should have been mayor and sheriff IMHO.  

Mayor Stoner was a cunt.  He shoulda been a stoner.  It would've mellowed him out.

Seems I saw on a Youtube channel or read somewhere that there were several actresses that had been tagged as the one that would become Andy's girlfriend.  Problem was, Andy Griffith was only interested in them becoming his TV gf, if they were involved in real life.  "Helen" was the first to fall for his advances, so she became Andy Taylor's long term interest. 
Could be bullshit, but something I've come across. 

Supposedly this is why Elinor Donahue (Ellie S1) got shitcanned. She either rebuffed him or he had no chemistry with her personally, hence neither did Andy Taylor. The official line was that the Andy-Barney dynamic was the overwhelming show element that viewers watched and wanted more of so the show shifted more to their adventures vs Andy looking for love and a suitable mama for Opie.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the one where Otis’ brother comes to town and Otis pretends to be a deputy.  When it turns out his brother is also a drunk, Otis gets all hypocritically indignant, saying he is embarrassed by his brother.  Knock that shot off Otis.  You probably got shithoused the day after he left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Opie throws like Casey Thompson, and fucks up Aunt Bee's prize rose that she grew for the contest.  Clara Edwards wins, sees a  photo of Bee's rose, and gives her the blue ribbon.  They munch each other's boxes after the contest.  

(I made that part up, but, it's plausible)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...