Pro-Life School Walkout

TahoeHorn

40 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yes. A critical look at the main common denominator in school shootings going back over thirty years has no place in the discussion. 

Students on gun control:

”Please Protect Us!”  “From ourselves!”  

Make it harder for us to kill each other, because a gun ban will stop school massacres. Guns are 100%culpable!

It’s willfully obtuse. 

*am fully onboard with tougher gun control measures regardless of subject

Straw man.  "Gun ban" is bullshit.  And nobody is saying "guns are 100% culpable."

There are fewer traffic deaths per mile than there were 40 years ago because:

1- better vehicle design for crashworthiness

2- mandatory seatbelts and airbags

3 - better design of antilock brakes, steering, and tires allows better evasive action to avoid wrecks.

Etc.  MULTIPLE steps improve safety.  Taking steps to limit the availability of high-cap firearms to school students won't ELIMINATE risk of death, just like a seatbelt and airbag don't ELIMINATE the risk.  But the step will likely incrementally REDUCE the risk.

I firmly believe in a comprehensive approach.  Dealing with guns won't solve the entire problem, but refusing to deal with them altogether foolishly skips over measures that are likely to reduce the risk of my kids getting blown away in their algebra class.

19 minutes ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

Noble cause, but school children don't exactly have the wisdom or useful ideas to help with policy. Also, activism gets plenty of attention but I dont really see it bringing about meaningful change.

Said President Johnson.

Again, I'm fascinated to watch the denigration and outright attacks on an entire generation.  If y'all wanted to make enemies of an entire voting bloc, it's hard to think of a more effective gameplan than the one y'all are running.  They hear EXACTLY what y'all are saying, and they're going to remember it.  Let's bookmark this discussion for 10 years from now, when all of these "school children" are well into their voting years.  I suspect we'll hear about the events of the recent months as a significant motivator in their voting choices and feelings about a certain political party in 2028.  And sooner, of course.  My daughter will be voting in 2019, and all y'all are doing is pissing her the fuck off.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Clearlakehorn said:

Yes! Taking the actual weapon that killers use to kill away from them won't stop school massacres at all! I'm 100 percent sure that any of these scrawny, socially retarded kids would kill even more people with samurai swords and nunchaku. 

The weapon that could enable a 100 lbs girl to kill grown ass men by the dozens is not the issue!!

Ah, yes - the "make spoons smaller so people won't get so fat" argument is as compelling as ever.

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

The kids taking part in this are the geeks and nerds no one wants to associate with anyway. 

Nah...

Geeks and Nerds end up being some of the coolest folks after high school.  These are the kids that no one wants to associate with LATER in life. 

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Ah, yes - the "make spoons smaller so people won't get so fat" argument is as compelling as ever.

So, I presume that you believe that all laws that regulate or restrict objects that are used (and potentially mis-used) by humans are folly?

Because that's going to have a significant impact on laws that regulate the age at which one can drive a vehicle, laws as to safety equipment and features required in vehicles, laws regulating the operation of aircraft, laws restricting the availability of explosives, laws limiting the availability of fully automatic weapons without a proper permit, etc. etc.

Like anything else, there's a balance to be struck.  Blanket arguments against regulation of firearms make zero sense, being that we ALREADY HAVE numerous such regulations (there already ARE age limits on buying certain firearms, you can't buy a fully auto weapon without a particular permit, you can't acquire an RPG without certain permits, etc.).  The only question is where is the balance.  Even that leftist commie hippie gungrabber, SCALIA, said

“Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited…” It is “… not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

“Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

“We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller (an earlier case) said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons.’” 

13 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/380656-students-for-life-backs-school-walkout-to-protest-abortion

If you made decisions for a school system and had been stupid enough to tolerate the walkout to protest gun violence, how would you respond to this?

Do you only support  left-wing walkouts?  Do you come up with some silly rationale about why the school violence walkout deserved special treatment?  Do you tolerate any kind of walkout?  How do you undo your stupid precedent?

Our school allowed it in memory of MSDHS students and not as a gun statement.

5 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Some of you are having trouble with the question.  Do you allow the walkout or not?  What are your criteria for sanctioning a school walkout?

I guess I'll just repost...

I think the tipping point has to do with number of students participating. At a certain point, a popular movement is unstoppable and the smart course of action is to take responsible action to minimize the negative effects. If 75% of your students are going to walk out for CauseX then it's smart to make sure that it all flows safely and with as little disruption as possible; probably even smart to work ahead of time with the organizers.

But if it's 1% of the kids? Then going the hard-ass route makes more sense from a simple numbers standpoint.

14 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Some of you are having trouble with the question.  Do you allow the walkout or not?  What are your criteria for sanctioning a school walkout?

No you do not allow/sanction it, and the reason is pretty simple:

Abortion, while a real issue that many people care about, does not affect their daily student life. They should be protesting the issue on their own time. The issue of school shootings directly affects them as students. Staging a school walkout over school shootings is entirely appropriate, over abortion not so much.

That being said, if half your student body walks out over anything you probably just sit back and let it slide. It doesn't really make sense to try and punish half your students for protesting if it actually comes to that (which I doubt).

• Like 2

I didn't realize the urge to do something about school mass murders was founded in evil liberalism. I figured it came from the heart. I guess I'm the idoit.
I don't know what an idoit (i-dwa?) Is, but this is most likely the essence of the OP

bt,

I'll accept that as an honest criterion.  And it would blow up in your face.

I'll assure you that I can find all kinds of causes to get 75%.  Beatles Day.  Rolling Stones Day.  Senior Skip Day (and Juniors and Sophomores).  MTV Day.  Beach Day.  If kids get a pass for skipping (and you need to give them the same absolution for knowing missed material as this past walkout did; no changing the rules), I'll bet I can organize skips for half of the days.  Maybe all of them.  Do you think the only people who don't come to work on Christmas are the ones celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ?  People will accept most any excuse for a holiday.

Edited by TahoeHorn

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Abortion, while a real issue that many people care about, does not affect their daily student life. They should be protesting the issue on their own time. The issue of school shootings directly affects them as students. Staging a school walkout over school shootings is entirely appropriate, over abortion not so much.

That being said, if half your student body walks out over anything you probably just sit back and let it slide. It doesn't really make sense to try and punish half your students for protesting if it actually comes to that (which I doubt).

Do you sanction a walkout over anything school related that half the student body will walk out over?  I can probably get as many students for "no free ice cream at lunch" day as I can "no school violence" day.  I can make a list of a hundred.

Edited by TahoeHorn

Here's what I would have done - my rules:

1. You can skip for any reason you want.  Any.  Any day.

2.  You must make up anything you miss.

3.  For each day you miss you must submit a "qualifying" ten page paper.  If your first attempt does not qualify you can fix it and submit a second "qualifying" paper.  If your second fails you suffer severe academic consequences.

I think under my rules students will have a serious commitment to their cause if they skip. 

man this whole thread is stupid.

the school walkouts were related to school safety.

this is classic whataboutism. this is a fairly weak tactic in order to try and catch people who support gun control and supported the rights of these students to protest and conflate into that a completly unrelated issue, in order to point and yell, "see?!? hypocrites!" that's it. that's all this is.

Here's what I would have done - my rules:
1. You can skip for any reason you want.  Any.  Any day.
2.  You must make up anything you miss.
3.  For each day you miss you must submit a "qualifying" ten page paper.  If your first attempt does not qualify you can fix it and submit a second "qualifying" paper.  If your second fails you suffer severe academic consequences.
I think under my rules students will have a serious commitment to their cause if they skip. 

Also, no one gives a fuck about this dumbass opinion.

• Haha 1

My senior year in H.S we had a walkout over the use of the confederate flag. Everyone left class and the local news showed up. People were walking all over campus yelling shit. I went to my truck to leave campus with my girlfriend for sexy time, where I discovered my trucks tailgate was smashed, like someone took a sledgehammer to it. WTF?!?! I filed a police report. No sexy time.

15 years later my sister confessed to sneaking out of class in the morning and using my spare keys to drive my truck to the mall and backing it into a pole. She drove back to school and remained silent for 15 years.

That's all I have to say about that.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

My senior year in H.S we had a walkout over the use of the confederate flag. Everyone left class and the local news showed up. People were walking all over campus yelling shit. I went to my truck to leave campus with my girlfriend for sexy time, where I discovered my trucks tailgate was smashed, like someone took a sledgehammer to it. WTF?!?! I filed a police report. No sexy time.

15 years later my sister confessed to sneaking out of class in the morning and using my spare keys to drive my truck to the mall and backing it into a pole. She drove back to school and remained silent for 15 years.

That's all I have to say about that.

This story would have been more entertaining if your girlfriend had wrecked your truck and  you had found it when you went there to leave with your sister.  :D

Most schools treated the walkout over gun control as an unexcused absence.  There WERE consequences.  The consequences were content-neutral.  The way that laws relating to speech are supposed to be.

They should enforce the policy the same way if students walked out for any other political purpose.

I repeat, the OP is stupid, and is exactly what I'd expect from the poster who started it.  An idiot so bent out of shape over durned kids and libruls thinking differently than he does that he has to set up fake battles so he can then claim a fake victory.  I don't care.  If Tahoe's grandson walks out to protest the fact that he has a moron for a grandfather, it should be treated the same as any other protest.  Although I would definitely sympathize with his poor grandson.

15 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/380656-students-for-life-backs-school-walkout-to-protest-abortion

If you made decisions for a school system and had been stupid enough to tolerate the walkout to protest gun violence, how would you respond to this?

Do you only support  left-wing walkouts?  Do you come up with some silly rationale about why the school violence walkout deserved special treatment?  Do you tolerate any kind of walkout?  How do you undo your stupid precedent?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed-twit/6e7f4795-b65b-4fad-b1fb-c5c9161a95fa

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, I presume that you believe that all laws that regulate or restrict objects that are used (and potentially mis-used) by humans are folly?

Because that's going to have a significant impact on laws that regulate the age at which one can drive a vehicle, laws as to safety equipment and features required in vehicles, laws regulating the operation of aircraft, laws restricting the availability of explosives, laws limiting the availability of fully automatic weapons without a proper permit, etc. etc.

Like anything else, there's a balance to be struck.  Blanket arguments against regulation of firearms make zero sense, being that we ALREADY HAVE numerous such regulations (there already ARE age limits on buying certain firearms, you can't buy a fully auto weapon without a particular permit, you can't acquire an RPG without certain permits, etc.).  The only question is where is the balance.  Even that leftist commie hippie gungrabber, SCALIA, said

Nice strawman.  No.  That is not the intent, not the point - but rather a fairly simple illustration to illustrate how worthless this "ban" would be.  It could and would be circumvented as easily as making cups and spoons smaller.  You'd "feel good" about it, which seems primarily the point.  But in terms of efficacy, it's absurd. 

As is this false equivalency between explosives....and semi-automatic rifles.  Because in the end, that is your argument.  We are not outlawing "assault weapons", you are proposing far greater reach to all semi-auto platforms.  You'll ignore that rifles represent a statistical minority in terms of usage in crime (less than 2%), and pat yourselves on the back.  As seeing as tried this before in 1994, it will produce the same failed results.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Most schools treated the walkout over gun control as an unexcused absence.  There WERE consequences.  The consequences were content-neutral.  The way that laws relating to speech are supposed to be.

They should enforce the policy the same way if students walked out for any other political purpose.

I repeat, the OP is stupid, and is exactly what I'd expect from the poster who started it.  An idiot so bent out of shape over durned kids and libruls thinking differently than he does that he has to set up fake battles so he can then claim a fake victory.  I don't care.  If Tahoe's grandson walks out to protest the fact that he has a moron for a grandfather, it should be treated the same as any other protest.  Although I would definitely sympathize with his poor grandson.

There have to be consequences. That's the point. That's the power of protest and civil disobedience. People sacrificing their own well being for a cause by calling on a greater moral urgency. 

I led a student walkout in 1991, knowing full well we were going to get in deep shit potentially. If there hadn't been the potential for deep shit, there would have been no leverage on the school district to rehire the teachers they let go and focus cost-cutting efforts elsewhere. 

When my daughter and her fellow students were planning their walkout, she asked for my advice and I told her that the most important thing they could do was not rely on the school district or the public or their parents for permission- to let the people participating in the protest  know the risks and consequences in advance, and proceed with eyes wide open.

• Like 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:
Nice strawman.  No.  That is not the intent, not the point - but rather a fairly simple illustration to illustrate how worthless this "ban" would be.  It could and would be circumvented as easily as making cups and spoons smaller.  You'd "feel good" about it, which seems primarily the point.  But in terms of efficacy, it's absurd. 

As is this false equivalency between explosives....and semi-automatic rifles.  Because in the end, that is your argument.  We are not outlawing "assault weapons", you are proposing far greater reach to all semi-auto platforms.  You'll ignore that rifles represent a statistical minority in terms of usage in crime (less than 2%), and pat yourselves on the back.  As seeing as tried this before in 1994, it will produce the same failed results.

"you are proposing far greater reach to all semi-auto platforms."  Huh?  I'm proposing that?  Citation, please.

Interestingly -- if you'd bothered to think it through -- the students' platform has multiple planks.  An "assault weapons ban" is actually the one plank that I firmly oppose, for exactly the reasons you point out (and more so -- the real point is that any concern with respect to the weapon should be about CAPACITY, not firing mechanism).

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There have to be consequences. That's the point. That's the power of protest and civil disobedience. People sacrificing their own well being for a cause by calling on a greater moral urgency. 

I led a student walkout in 1991, knowing full well we were going to get in deep shit potentially. If there hadn't been the potential for deep shit, there would have been no leverage on the school district to rehire the teachers they let go and focus cost-cutting efforts elsewhere. 

When my daughter and her fellow students were planning their walkout, she asked for my advice and I told her that the most important thing they could do was not rely on the school district or the public or their parents for permission- to let the people participating in the protest  know the risks and consequences in advance, and proceed with eyes wide open.

EXACTLY.  Same conversation we had with our kids.  There are consequences to civil disobedience. If you believe that the cause is worth the consequences, then act accordingly.  And accept the consequences.

Just now, TahoeHorn said:

Here's my note:

Our school system has long-standing policies regarding unexcused absences.  Our policies will not be changed for this event.  Teachers will not be rescheduling tests and such previously scheduled for March 14.

Again, you seem not to understand. That's the point: to invite those who oppose them to do their worst. Worked out OK for Bull Connor, right?

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"you are proposing far greater reach to all semi-auto platforms."  Huh?  I'm proposing that?  Citation, please.

Interestingly -- if you'd bothered to think it through -- the students' platform has multiple planks.  An "assault weapons ban" is actually the one plank that I firmly oppose, for exactly the reasons you point out (and more so -- the real point is that any concern with respect to the weapon should be about CAPACITY, not firing mechanism).

Do you really not understand the distinction between semi-auto rifles, and "assault weapons"?  Can you even tell me what an "assault weapon" is?  Can you tell me the difference between my old Ruger-14 ranch rifle and my AR?  Or my 10/22?  Honestly, do you not see the distinction?

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Do you really not understand the distinction between semi-auto rifles, and "assault weapons"?  Can you even tell me what an "assault weapon" is?  Can you tell me the difference between my old Ruger-14 ranch rifle and my AR?  Or my 10/22?  Honestly, do you not see the distinction?

Did you eat nothing but paint chips as a child?

You're arguing against me....when I just said I agree with you.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Capacity is irrelevant.  Again, and I am trying not to condescend, but have you ever fire any weapon platform that took magazines of any kind?  Do you know why the decade-long ban on high capacity mags was repealed?  Because it's worthless.  Smaller spoons.  That is what you are advocating for.

My prissy little wife who shoots about twice a year can drop and swap a fresh mag in about 2-3 seconds.  That's it.  I can do it half that time.  Anyone that can for a mirror and has spent even a small amount of time at a range can do the same

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

You're creating an argument when there isn't one to be had.

Nobody here, left or right leaning, gives a shit about a dozen or so social outcasts staging a random walkout

100%  And to expand on that.  This isn't about guns.  Not really.  This is about midterms.  And anyone with an IQ above room temp can see that.  Funny how about of kids suddenly were regurgitating identical talking points as major networks and celebrity figures.  Coordinated and costing millions upon millions to orchestrate.  But it's organic....sure.....these poor kids are being used.  Plain and simple.  They are political human shields.  And then they'll be discarded.  Maybe a few can spin this into something.  But not most.  These Tide pod eating idiots are now experts on the issue?  I don't think so. 

And of course the bewildered media has the audacity to question "why have NRA donations suddenly increased?"

Ok. Excused absence if kids do not leave school property. Unexcused if they do.

There’s my policy.

7 minutes ago, scottsins said:

There’s my policy.

That works for me.  It's different from NYC policy:

If your child is planning to participate, please notify your school by following your school’s regular attendance protocol. For middle and high school students, walking out for 17 minutes and returning to school will be considered cutting class, not an absence. Students will not face consequences beyond a notation in their student attendance record and a conversation with an administrator. Please be aware that regular classroom schedules will continue as usual.

If middle and high school students are planning to attend events after the 17 minutes, they will be considered absent from the classes they miss. With parent or guardian permission, this will be an excused absence. Without parent or guardian permission, this will be an unexcused absence. If you have any questions about your school’s attendance protocol, please call your school’s main office.

I don't like the NYC policy.  And I think they gave a big wink of support.  And such politics offends me.

https://morningbellnyc.com/2018/03/08/note-to-families-regarding-the-national-school-walkout/

Edited by TahoeHorn

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:
100%  And to expand on that.  This isn't about guns.  Not really.  This is about midterms.  And anyone with an IQ above room temp can see that.  Funny how about of kids suddenly were regurgitating identical talking points as major networks and celebrity figures.  Coordinated and costing millions upon millions to orchestrate.  But it's organic....sure.....these poor kids are being used.  Plain and simple.  They are political human shields.  And then they'll be discarded.  Maybe a few can spin this into something.  But not most.  These Tide pod eating idiots are now experts on the issue?  I don't think so. 

And of course the bewildered media has the audacity to question "why have NRA donations suddenly increased?"

Dumb post. I think maybe George Soros is paying you to make 2nd amendment advocates sound stupid. 

1 minute ago, TahoeHorn said:

I don't like the NYC policy.  And I think they gave a big wink of support.  And such politics offends me.

https://morningbellnyc.com/2018/03/08/note-to-families-regarding-the-national-school-walkout/

Well I guess you won't be sending your kids to NYC public schools, will you? That being said, I think they are depriving their kids the opportunity to know what a real protest is, but I don't blame them, because they don't want to be chastened in public for being on the wrong side of the public in their community.  They probably don't want to have to apologize like Laura Ingraham.

Life is consequences

42 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Capacity is irrelevant.  Again, and I am trying not to condescend, but have you ever fire any weapon platform that took magazines of any kind?  Do you know why the decade-long ban on high capacity mags was repealed?  Because it's worthless.  Smaller spoons.  That is what you are advocating for.

My prissy little wife who shoots about twice a year can drop and swap a fresh mag in about 2-3 seconds.  That's it.  I can do it half that time.  Anyone that can for a mirror and has spent even a small amount of time at a range can do the same

Capacity is relevant. It has proven to be in numerous cases where the shooter was overpowered during a mag change.  2-3 seconds is a fucking eternity when your life is on the line.  And also, many of these shooters are NOT experts.  Shit, I'm a pretty experienced shooter, and I've fumbled more than one mag change.  And I wasn't nervous as shit in the midst of committing a heinous crime.  Mag size does matter.

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Your last sentence is fascinating.  Folks who are upset about kids (kids like them, or kids like they have at home) getting splattered over their school walls are just regurgitating MSM and celebrity talking points, and are not motivated individually, for any internal or individual reasons.

Yet those folks who have jumped up and donated to the NRA...well, THEY aren't being manipulated at all.  THEY are free-thinkers, by God.  No lobbying money or massive PR blitz by the NRA has influenced them, no way.

My daughter is a high school junior.  She doesn't consume network news (hint: few people under the age of 45 do).  She's a gun-owner and regular shooter herself.  She asked for and got for Christmas a few years ago....a 10/22.  She loves it, she enjoys shooting it.  But she also sees a circumstance where her peers got blown away during Algebra.  And she sees that it keeps happening, time and time again.  And she's motivated by (1) self-preservation and (2) giving a shit about her fellow human beings to conclude that something need be done.  So, she's on board with it.

And the more that folks like you call her stupid and immature and just a manipulated tool, the more you are guaranteeing that she -- and tens of millions of kids like her -- will NEVER stand on your side of the aisle.

You think that folks supporting the NRA are pure-motivated unmanipulated free-thinkers, and folks who think we need to make policy changes because schoolkids are regularly being shot to pieces are manipulated tools.  That dichotomy of thinking is not going to serve you well.

16 minutes ago, scottsins said:

There’s my policy.

And this.  Yet again.  Because the OP's question was stupid.  Content-neutral rules for acts of speech and civil disobedience.  You know, like how the Constitution works.

Edited by Brisketexan

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And this.  Yet again.  Because the OP's question was stupid.  Content-neutral rules for acts of speech and civil disobedience.  You know, like how the Constitution works.

Ya moron, the policies aren't content neutral.  I have repeatedly referenced the NYC policy.  They clearly supported this and had a policy which was not their normal policy.

The whole point of the thread is about places that changed their policy for this event.

Edited by TahoeHorn

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Ya moron, the policies aren't content neutral.  I have repeatedly referenced the NYC policy.  They clearly supported this and had a policy which was not their normal policy.

That is entirely unclear from the article you posted.  What is the dividing line under the REGULAR NYC policy for when a student is "cutting class," versus being "absent?"  Is that information provided in the statement?  Is it a bright-line policy -- e.g., if you're late over 10 minutes, you're absent?  OR, is the policy what I suspect it is -- how to mark a student who is late for class is a matter of teacher and administration discretion, and the District is trying to create a circumstance of consistency when they know that a lot of students will be doing the same thing at the same time?

Nevermind that there's no indication that this treatment in this type of circumstance would be different if another political cause, of similar participating numbers of students, was at issue.

You assume a lot.  Provide some facts.  Otherwise, you're just the same donut-fetching spineless old man that you always have been.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

You think supporting the right to protest is political? What a sad individual you are.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You think supporting the right to protest is political? What a sad individual you are.

Political protest is political.  It should not be free from consequences.  A number of posters have addressed this.  If you feel strongly about an issue you should be prepared to pay the price.  Gandhi, MLK and Mandela all went to jail for their beliefs.  Willingly.  If a student isn't prepared to take the hit for his political protest he should go to class.