Antonio Brown Will Not Play For the Steelers Next Season

Vic Mackey

Someone may take the gamble to give up draft capital AND give him even more money than his $12-15/year nonguaranteed base over the next 3 years. It’s a lot for someone who just quit on their team a few months ago heading into the playoffs, a diva and me-me-me guy, and a WR who may very well have already peaked in abilities. He’s free to ask for whatever he can get. I just don’t agree with his complaint that he doesn’t have guaranteed money on this contract. Just like any contract in the past, or one he may negotiate with his next team, it comes from the signing bonus upfront and the annual guaranteed roster bonuses. He has already received both on this current contract and had he stayed in Pittsburgh, the average annual value of the signing bonus would be reflected on his yearly cap numbers. He will get another $6M guaranteed as a roster bonus on March 18 if he can manage to get traded or not cut by then. 

16 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He should have considered playing baseball or basketball then, not expect the sport to change for him. But of course he does, because he’s as diva as they come. 

Why is it when a player does this, they are a diva but no one bats an eye when these teams cut a player any time they want? Fans just pat the owners on the back for making a 'sound business decision'. NFL players know they have a very short shelf life, especially when it comes to securing a big contract. They are tired of being toyed with by the owners.

• Like 1

Why is it when a player does this, they are a diva but no one bats an eye when these teams cut a player any time they want? Fans just pat the owners on the back for making a 'sound business decision'. NFL players know they have a very short shelf life, especially when it comes to securing a big contract. They are tired of being toyed with by the owners.
Then they can argue for guaranteed contracts in CBA... Its a business and nobody gets cut that still produces at a high lvl. If you get paid then get out of shape/lazy and dont produce your gone in every sport

But they wont because they dont want smaller contracts even if it is 100% guaranteed...it seems every other year this comes up...they wont take the deal and will cave in a strike because most cant afford to not get their checks

I know one sure way the players can get the $$$ they want...get rid of the salary cap and let teams spend from huge pool of money instead of restricting teams

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don’t know. Because fans care more about their teams’ success than if individual players make $10 million vs $20 million guaranteed on top of their $50 million overall contracts? Because AB negotiated this contract only two years ago and agreed to take his guaranteed money up front rather than spread out over all 5 years...and now that the guaranteed portion is passed, he wants to renegotiate?

Just like you don't give a shit about him.  He doesn't give a shit about you and he cares about his money.  And the dynamics have changed in regards to contracts.  Last year teams were willing to sign fully guaranteed contracts and AB is just changing as the market dynamics change.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Just like you don't give a shit about him.  He doesn't give a shit about you and he cares about his money.  And the dynamics have changed in regards to contracts.  Last year teams were willing to sign fully guaranteed contracts and AB is just changing as the market dynamics change.  Nothing wrong with that.  
The contract was 2 years ago and was highest ever paid wr...sure he liked deal just fine then

8 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I don’t know. Because fans care more about their teams’ success than if individual players make $10 million vs $20 million guaranteed on top of their $50 million overall contracts? Because AB negotiated this contract only two years ago and agreed to take his guaranteed money up front rather than spread out over all 5 years...and now that the guaranteed portion is passed, he wants to renegotiate?

I am not going to pretend I care about these players' finances because they don't even know who I am. But I don't fault them for doing what they need to do in a cut throat business. Especially the NFL where it is a violent sport and none of the contracts are guaranteed.

I am just saying don't bitch about a player looking out after himself and his family when teams do the same to save money.

57 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Billionaires who get richer from the comfort of a luxury box in conflict with millionaires who get rich playing a game. I won’t shed too many tears for either side.

Playing a game, if it was such a game then why aren’t you playing it?

They are doing way more then playing a game, it’s a great career if you make it to the top of the food chain 

I am not going to pretend I care about these players' finances because they don't even know who I am. But I don't fault them for doing what they need to do in a cut throat business. Especially the NFL where it is a violent sport and none of the contracts are guaranteed.
I am just saying don't bitch about a player looking out after himself and his family when teams do the same to save money.
And some of us are saying dont be a bitch about contract you negotiated and if you want more guaranteed $$$ take care of it in new CBA along with other changes
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

If you're a cunt, then you'd better be ready to work on the cheap...

Not a new concept.

Leveon bell didn't fuck anyone besides himself and possibly his teammates, for whatever that's worth.

Brown's doing the same.  It's just too bad for a team like the Steelers...LOLz.  rolleyes.

Edited by slorch

If I'm the NFL, my contracts going forward are going to deal with these issues. Don't sign the Franchise tender? No problem..., but there's a penalty the next year you do decide to play (or perhaps compensatory draft picks or some other boon for the team that didn't get to benefit from the tender). 

Don't want to honor a signed contract? No problem, but there will be some sort of penalty IF your team doesn't agree to trade you. (for example, if the steelers didnt trade AB and he sat this year...). The steelers decided to pay AB rather than the other WRs we had at that time... Now AB gets to unilateral punish the steelers because he made a bad deal? Crazy. 

I'm fine with some measure of guaranteed money, but its going not going to be 100%, and its going to come with major stipulations. 

Bottom Line - both sides need to honor their contracts AS WRITTEN, or be penalized... you know, like real life. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

ok. fuck that.  it's the same thing about the other thread about CEOs.   he doesn't agree with his CEO money vs his. he rebels.  Fuck all of you that thinks otherwise.

Nah, it's fine for him to do it.  He has that right.  It's not like he's banging 10 year olds or stealing shit for his meth habit.

It doesn't mean it is logical or justified.  He also doesn't have the right to be a bitch about it towards his team.

1 hour ago, longhrnfan said:

If I'm the NFL, my contracts going forward are going to deal with these issues. Don't sign the Franchise tender? No problem..., but there's a penalty the next year you do decide to play (or perhaps compensatory draft picks or some other boon for the team that didn't get to benefit from the tender). 

Don't want to honor a signed contract? No problem, but there will be some sort of penalty IF your team doesn't agree to trade you. (for example, if the steelers didnt trade AB and he sat this year...). The steelers decided to pay AB rather than the other WRs we had at that time... Now AB gets to unilateral punish the steelers because he made a bad deal? Crazy. 

I'm fine with some measure of guaranteed money, but its going not going to be 100%, and its going to come with major stipulations. 

Bottom Line - both sides need to honor their contracts AS WRITTEN, or be penalized... you know, like real life. 

Then the NFLPA had better negotiate stronger guarantees for the players if you're trying to shore up that side of it.

2 way street and all... but among sports unions, the NFLPA is among the weakest.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, Chad said:

I'll shit if the Patriots trade for AB, they were after OBJ last season. I doubt the Steelers would trade AB to the team that has owned them throughout the Brady era, but stranger things have happened.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/21/todd-haley-leveon-bell-and-antonio-brown-are-two-of-steelers-hardest-workers/

Todd Haley is backing up Bell and AB. Big Ben has long been known as an arrogant prick so it's no surprise AB became fed up with his shit. Perhaps I'm oblivious, but I don't recall seeing a lot of negative press about AB before the 2018 season.

Kraft is always looking for someone with good hands 

• Like 1

I am all for players getting guaranteed contracts and if they get hurt or cut, the team has to pay them but the balance of the contract doesn’t count against their salary cap. It could cripple a franchise if a couple star players both suffered career ending injuries and the team’s cap is boinked for the next 5 years. 

In this present scenario with AB, I don’t fee sympathy for either side but admit I personally don’t like AB as a person due to his past behavior and quitting on his team in Week 16. I think he negotiated a contract he was happy with only 2 years ago to make him the 2nd highest WR of all time and took a bunch of money up front. HE ALREADY GOT HIS MONEY AND ITS IN HIS BANK ACCOUNT! He got $19M upfront and was getting an average around $10M year to year. He effectively got Pittsburgh to pay him $40M for two years and now wants the next sucker to throw some more bonus money on top of his $12, 13, 13 million non-guaranteed bases for 2019-2021. Yeah he got rogered good!

• Like 2

It was nice knowing ya, AB. Going from catching passes from a future HOF QB behind a stout OL ranked #1 to catching passes from a future bust behind a toilet paper OL that ranked 25th in the NFL.

Edited by Chad

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Sounds like the gun was jumped.

Now being reported that the trade with Buffalo is unlikely.

Where are you seeing that it is unlikely?

(I would think that if AB has any say in the matter, then it is absolutely "unlikely".)

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Hahaha rumor is that AB said he’d flat out retire if traded to Buffalo, so they backed out. Looking more and more like the raiders are the landing spot. That could backfire. At least Josh Allen showed some promise.

Derek Carr is miles better than Josh Allen will ever be

11 hours ago, Nope said:

Derek Carr is miles better than Josh Allen will ever be

Apparently you didn’t watch josh Allen last year. He was solid near the end of last year, and I think he takes a big step next year. They need to get him a weapon though lol. Like, a single weapon.

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ben/L Bell/Brown will go down as Durant/Harden/Westrbrook not winning a title. Hell the Steelers never even got to a Super Bowl as that trio. At least OKC did once.

They got fucked out of home field advantage throughout the playoffs and had to face Jax in the first round a few years ago. That Jesse James catch that wasn’t a catch at the end of the game. If that team had the same route to the super bowl that NE had, I think it wins the super bowl. Jacksonville was just a weird matchup for everyone that year with how good their defense was.