General San Francisco Thread

Gardner Barnes

21 hours ago, idahorn said:

Went to the French Laundry, Tadich Grill, and Henry's Hunan (at intersection of Grant and Green) one weekend a few years ago.  If someone would pay for any of the three dinners (to take out the cost factor) and I had to choose one- it would be Henry's Hunan.  Smoked Pork with Vegetables. That one dish had more flavor than all eight or nine at the Laundry and it was an absolutely fabulous taste.  One or three Central Texas BBQ places were almost as good.

The sign on the bar on one of the other corners was an illuminated $50 bill (get it? ---Grant and Green).

Their kung pao chicken is one of the best things on earth. 

As was mentioned above I've always enjoyed

R&G Lounge, Swan Oyster.

Go to Brenda's French Soul Food (recommend during lunch as it' on the edge of Tenderloin)

Hard Water for the Bourbon

Tony's (North Beach) for pizza

Mama's for breakfast

Other bars that I've been to recently

Monk's Kettle

Velvet Cantina

Lolo's (Mission) for tacos

• 4 weeks later...

Wife and I are planning a trip to SF/Napa/Carmel in mid-October and could probably use a little help. It will be a Sunday through Sunday trip. The front end of that is sort of fixed because A) TX-OU is on Saturday and we're going to that before flying out and B) I have a work conference in SF that runs Sun-Tues. Work conference is fairly flexible on my actual attendance, so I can mix in some fun stuff throughout those days and especially in the evenings.

Tentative plan is something like this:

SF 2 nights (Sun-Tues)

Napa 2 nights (Tues-Thurs)

Carmel 3 nights (Thurs-Sun)

I've been to SF once but didn't have a lot of time to explore the city. Wife has never been. We will probably stay near Union Square.

I've been to Carmel once years ago. Wife has never been. It's essentially a new destination for both of us.

Neither of us have been to Napa. We like good wine and good food.

Need suggestions on places to stay, places to eat and drink, winery tours, other stuff to see and do, itinerary modifications, etc. We will probably skip a car while in SF and then obviously get a car for the remainder of the trip.

In Napa, definitely try and get a table at Buchon; Michelin star restaurant without the prices of say, French Laundry. I like having lunch at Rutherford Grill or Gott's Roadhouse as their corkage fees are cheap. Also Oxbow Market is a fun way to try a lot of different local food specialities. 

Wineries will depend on what you're really into and what type of experience you'd like to have. Sterling is a nice starter for Napa as it's further up north in the valley, nice views and solid wine overall. My speed is something more like Frog's Leap; smaller and intimate tastings that don't break the bank. 

Nothing fancy, no high-fallutin Michelin-ness.  Rent a car downtown SF on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  Google maps (unlike in Manhattan/tristate) actually knows what it's doing and will get you from point to point easily, with one exception.  Be on the road by 10am.

First stop: the true beginning of the current information age, 7 September 1927, the first electronic decomposition and re-composition of an image.  I.E. the first UI.  202 Green Street.  If you are in IT, a 20th-century person, or Brethren, a pilgrimage location.

Drive across the bay bridge for a quick op "using the Treasure Island exit".  PM for more details.

If you are precise and ontime with your command and control, your lunch at Le Cheval on Clay Street in Oakland will be done by noon.  Clay pot and Tsingtao.

Next stop, Golden State Model Railroad Museum in Richmond, and if the weather is crystal blue, a quick hike to the viewpoint in the Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline park across the street from the railroad museum. https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24136

One hour drive from there to the parking lot at 102 Paradise Drive, Belvedere Tiburon.  Take the ferry to Angel Island.  Make sure you called ahead to resever your Segway rentals.  You can do the Island in 2 hours on Segways.  Make sure you have read the wikis and other data to be prepared for the visit.

Next, 30 minute drive to Muir Woods.  You want to get there at the end of the day and you will likely park in one of the coveted 10 spots right next to the entrance.  Quick 20-minute hike each way up the main grove and back.  Biggest trees you will ever see unless you get north of Santa Rosa on another day.

Again, you need to be on top of your game to make sure you leave Muir Woods by 430pm for the 45-minute to 1-hour drive to 3 Fish Studios almost to the ocean out on the Sunset Avenues.  They close at 6 every day.  You know the 49-mile-scenic drive signs... the owner does that meme in 2 dozen form factors.  Total.  City.  Authentica.

Now, depending on the fog situation, there are multiple options, all ending with one of two incredible vista, one strenuous, the other not, followed by your carbcheese and pinot noir of choice.  https://foursquare.com/top-places/san-francisco/best-places-buffalo-mozzarella

I'll finish the post if anyone wants, but the guesses should be easy, if one has their own vehicle.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:10 PM, wild_turkey said:

Wife and I are planning a trip to SF/Napa/Carmel in mid-October and could probably use a little help. It will be a Sunday through Sunday trip. The front end of that is sort of fixed because A) TX-OU is on Saturday and we're going to that before flying out and B) I have a work conference in SF that runs Sun-Tues. Work conference is fairly flexible on my actual attendance, so I can mix in some fun stuff throughout those days and especially in the evenings.

Tentative plan is something like this:

SF 2 nights (Sun-Tues)

Napa 2 nights (Tues-Thurs)

Carmel 3 nights (Thurs-Sun)

I've been to SF once but didn't have a lot of time to explore the city. Wife has never been. We will probably stay near Union Square.

I've been to Carmel once years ago. Wife has never been. It's essentially a new destination for both of us.

Neither of us have been to Napa. We like good wine and good food.

Need suggestions on places to stay, places to eat and drink, winery tours, other stuff to see and do, itinerary modifications, etc. We will probably skip a car while in SF and then obviously get a car for the remainder of the trip.

I have hit Napa, Sonoma, Glen Ellen, Kenwood, Santa Rosa, Sebastapol, etc, many times.

Suggestion: skip Napa, make your home base in Healdsburg. Russian River to the west, Dry Creek to the northwest. All have incredible wineries. And note, you can hit the far end of the Napa valley from here. Everyone in our regular travel group prefers Healdsburg>Sonoma>Napa as a base, and we are doing it again this fall. The only thing we just have to have in Napa is oysters at the Oxbow Market at Hog Island, and sometimes we get that fix in SF instead. Depends if we fly out of OAK or SFO

Also, grab a cooler bag and some wine, meat and cheese and head in to the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, after hitting a couple wineries along the Russian River. Way less crowded and easier to park than Muir Woods.

And if you have time, drive out to Bodega Bay. Eat some fresh seafood at Spud Point Crab Co. or Fisherman's Cove, then drive on to the cliffs overlooking the sea called the Bodega Bay Trailhead

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bodega+Bay+Trailhead/@38.3014365,-123.0655041,186a,35y,39.48t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8084283ba1f1ff77:0xc289610dc90855bc!8m2!3d38.3036772!4d-123.0645246

It is a great hike and you can get down to the beach in a few places. Impressive cliffs and spectacular views. But bring a jacket, even if it is 90 in the wine country. And bring some champagne.

Edited by 4th and 5

On 5/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

Nothing fancy, no high-fallutin Michelin-ness.  Rent a car downtown SF on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  Google maps (unlike in Manhattan/tristate) actually knows what it's doing and will get you from point to point easily, with one exception.  Be on the road by 10am.

First stop: the true beginning of the current information age, 7 September 1927, the first electronic decomposition and re-composition of an image.  I.E. the first UI.  202 Green Street.  If you are in IT, a 20th-century person, or Brethren, a pilgrimage location.

Drive across the bay bridge for a quick op "using the Treasure Island exit".  PM for more details.

If you are precise and ontime with your command and control, your lunch at Le Cheval on Clay Street in Oakland will be done by noon.  Clay pot and Tsingtao.

Next stop, Golden State Model Railroad Museum in Richmond, and if the weather is crystal blue, a quick hike to the viewpoint in the Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline park across the street from the railroad museum. https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24136

One hour drive from there to the parking lot at 102 Paradise Drive, Belvedere Tiburon.  Take the ferry to Angel Island.  Make sure you called ahead to resever your Segway rentals.  You can do the Island in 2 hours on Segways.  Make sure you have read the wikis and other data to be prepared for the visit.

Next, 30 minute drive to Muir Woods.  You want to get there at the end of the day and you will likely park in one of the coveted 10 spots right next to the entrance.  Quick 20-minute hike each way up the main grove and back.  Biggest trees you will ever see unless you get north of Santa Rosa on another day.

Again, you need to be on top of your game to make sure you leave Muir Woods by 430pm for the 45-minute to 1-hour drive to 3 Fish Studios almost to the ocean out on the Sunset Avenues.  They close at 6 every day.  You know the 49-mile-scenic drive signs... the owner does that meme in 2 dozen form factors.  Total.  City.  Authentica.

Now, depending on the fog situation, there are multiple options, all ending with one of two incredible vista, one strenuous, the other not, followed by your carbcheese and pinot noir of choice.  https://foursquare.com/top-places/san-francisco/best-places-buffalo-mozzarella

I'll finish the post if anyone wants, but the guesses should be easy, if one has their own vehicle.

Yeah. That's an insane schedule for one day, not realistic even if there is no traffic. At the very least, no one gets to drive and park at Muir Woods on a whim anymore - it's reservation only, and I'd highly recommend doing the shuttle instead (if you must go). Muir Woods reservations

Edited by Txzen

I have hit Napa, Sonoma, Glen Ellen, Kenwood, Santa Rosa, Sebastapol, etc, many times.
Suggestion: skip Napa, make your home base in Healdsburg. Russian River to the west, Dry Creek to the northwest. All have incredible wineries. And note, you can hit the far end of the Napa valley from here. Everyone in our regular travel group prefers Healdsburg>Sonoma>Napa as a base, and we are doing it again this fall. The only thing we just have to have in Napa is oysters at the Oxbow Market at Hog Island, and sometimes we get that fix in SF instead. Depends if we fly out of OAK or SFO
Also, grab a cooler bag and some wine, meat and cheese and head in to the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, after hitting a couple wineries along the Russian River. Way less crowded and easier to park than Muir Woods.
And if you have time, drive out to Bodega Bay. Eat some fresh seafood at Spud Point Crab Co. or Fisherman's Cove, then drive on to the cliffs overlooking the sea called the Bodega Bay Trailhead
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bodega+Bay+Trailhead/@38.3014365,-123.0655041,186a,35y,39.48t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8084283ba1f1ff77:0xc289610dc90855bc!8m2!3d38.3036772!4d-123.0645246
It is a great hike and you can get down to the beach in a few places. Impressive cliffs and spectacular views. But bring a jacket, even if it is 90 in the wine country. And bring some champagne.

Second all of this - when we stay in the wine country we prefer healdsburg. Cartograph and Idlewild are great tasting rooms. Make a stop at the new Russian River beer hall on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. That's an insane schedule for one day, not realistic even if there is no traffic. At the very least, no one gets to drive and park at Muir Woods on a whim anymore - it's reservation only, and I'd highly recommend doing the shuttle instead (if you must go). Muir Woods reservations

Even with the reservation, you’re not guaranteed a spot. It just gets you in the lot. Went in June and luckily we got there before 9am. After that, there was a line of reservation holders waiting for a spot to open up.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Hint, instead of fighting the crowds waiting for a spot at Muir Woods. Drive 30 mins south to the Western entrance to Purisima Creek Redwoods near Halfmoon Bay and have a whole redwood forest to yourself.

Big Basin State Park is also fantastic.  A hike in Big Basin then lunch/dinner in Santa Cruz is not a bad play.

• 2 months later...

I am flying into San Francisco in a few weeks and have some transport and food questions. I am going with my wife (who is from Cupertino) and we are attending a meeting for a few days and then driving to Santa Cruz/Capitola. Anyway, I was thinking about taking public transport from SFC to a hotel across from the convention center. I have not taken the train before. Does it pick up from inside the airport? Where does it drop you off? Is this the way to go vs. uber? Traffic on 101 into San Francisco can suck. Is it safe enough with luggage? Also, what food would you recommend in SF? Any type and any price? Generally, we like somewhat casual places and don't want to get dressed up. However, I will wear slacks to the convention.

You can pick up BART in the airport. May need to do a bit of navigation to get there  (e.g., need to take a tram to get to actual BART station). You will most likely have to wait 15 minutes for a train. You will make every stop between the airport and downtown (no express BART). You won’t have to walk too far from the downtown station (Powell) to the hotel (two city blocks). It may be a PITA, though. I’ve lived in SF/Oakland for 16 years and have only used BART 2-3 times to get to/from the airport. I’d go with Uber/Lyft. Fewer hassles and you will most likely get to your hotel faster. 

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I am flying into San Francisco in a few weeks and have some transport and food questions. I am going with my wife (who is from Cupertino) and we are attending a meeting for a few days and then driving to Santa Cruz/Capitola. Anyway, I was thinking about taking public transport from SFC to a hotel across from the convention center. I have not taken the train before. Does it pick up from inside the airport? Where does it drop you off? Is this the way to go vs. uber? Traffic on 101 into San Francisco can suck. Is it safe enough with luggage? Also, what food would you recommend in SF? Any type and any price? Generally, we like somewhat casual places and don't want to get dressed up. However, I will wear slacks to the convention.

Are you poor? If not just take an Uber.

SF food is pretty much just like any tier 2 city (think Austin, Dallas, San Antonio in Texas) tons of solid spots a few spots that would make national lists, not really anything that would stand out on the world stage. It's overpriced pretty much everywhere, but you can also basically wear athletic shorts and t-shirts anywhere too. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

No, the issue is that we are only there for 2 days and those 2 days and 3 nights are going to be spent at the convention. So, it just seems semi-retarded to rent a car at the airport and then pay for hotel parking for 2-3 days at about $50/day. Instead, I will pick up the car when we leave for Capitola.

1 hour ago, HornPhD said:

You can pick up BART in the airport. May need to do a bit of navigation to get there  (e.g., need to take a tram to get to actual BART station). You will most likely have to wait 15 minutes for a train. You will make every stop between the airport and downtown (no express BART). You won’t have to walk too far from the downtown station (Powell) to the hotel (two city blocks). It may be a PITA, though. I’ve lived in SF/Oakland for 16 years and have only used BART 2-3 times to get to/from the airport. I’d go with Uber/Lyft. Fewer hassles and you will most likely get to your hotel faster. 

Thanks. I used to live in Palo Alto and Capitola and my wife is from Cupertino and I can honestly say we have never taken BART. I should have because it would have been much easier than driving into the city and looking for parking. I thought this might have been a good opportunity. I guess not, though.

I should know the city better food wise, but we really didn't drive in very often. There were plenty of decent restaurants from Monterey to Redwood City and driving into SF was always a pain in the ass - stop and go from South San Francisco into the city and then an hour looking for parking. My go to was always House of Nan King and I rarely ventured to a different place. Now, I have been away from there since early 2000s so restaurants I am sure have changed.

BTW, how much is Uber? If it is $50 each way, it sounds like it may actually make sense to just pick up the rental at the airport when we first get in.

Edited by Bevo

I don't understand how two Uber rides would be more expensive than two extra nights of a rental car and $50-$65 per night of valet parking at the hotel. 

You're never going to use that car while it's parked at the hotel to get around to the city sights, dining, etc. unless you're insane. 

When I travel solo to SF, BART. When I travel with a GF, Uber. 

Also there is no reason to be guessing about Uber prices. Fire it up now, put in SFO - > Hotel, get the price, then close the app. Right now an UberX from SFO to the Marriott Marquis would be $33.

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 1

although we enjoyed our walk through Purisima there's no huge 10-20 foot diameter redwoods like Muir woods, which kinda left me disappointed as I had told the kids they were going to see some huge trees, and they ended up being around the same size as many of the pines going up to tahoe.

BART from SFO is a breeze.  That's my go to when I fly into SFO. I hate being in traffic.   Yes, you take an airport train to the BART station, but that is no big deal.  And it's fine with luggage; lots of people use it to get to and from SFO.   Exit Powell Street. You hotel should be a short walk or a short Uber depending on where you are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

BART from SFO is a breeze.  That's my go to when I fly into SFO. I hate being in traffic.   Yes, you take an airport train to the BART station, but that is no big deal.  And it's fine with luggage; lots of people use it to get to and from SFO.   Exit Powell Street. You hotel should be a short walk or a short Uber depending on where you are.

Yeah, it's the end stop of the yellow line so you should have no problem finding a seat.

I usually fly into Oakland because of southwest and my mom lives in the east bay, but I'm pretty sure the bart to downtown from OAK is even shorter and usually flight prices are less to OAK 

19 hours ago, immamac said:

SF food is pretty much just like any tier 2 city (think Austin, Dallas, San Antonio in Texas) tons of solid spots a few spots that would make national lists, not really anything that would stand out on the world stage. It's overpriced pretty much everywhere, but you can also basically wear athletic shorts and t-shirts anywhere too. 

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

although we enjoyed our walk through Purisima there's no huge 10-20 foot diameter redwoods like Muir woods, which kinda left me disappointed as I had told the kids they were going to see some huge trees, and they ended up being around the same size as many of the pines going up to tahoe.

Henry Cowell near Scotts Valley has some pretty good sized redwoods.

Another good trip that many people aren't familiar with is Ano Nuevo when the elephant seals are there.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Henry Cowell near Scotts Valley has some pretty good sized redwoods.

Another good trip that many people aren't familiar with is Ano Nuevo when the elephant seals are there.

Seals seem like a great idea, until you get within 1/2 mile of them and the first whiff of their stench enters your nostrils.

• 1 month later...

I need a recommendation for a spot to eat lunch at with someone we are interviewing for a position at our practice.  Me and 2 partners for a total of 4 people.  Will be in the Union Square or Moscone Center area.  Want it to be conducive to conversation but good/nice food.

My cousin who lives in Cali recommended Campton Place, Cafe de la Presse, and Gaspar.  Of the 3, the menu at Cafe de la Presse sounded best.  This is going to be a Saturday lunch (or brunch at most places).  I tentatively have a reservation there at Cafe de la Presse (although Campton Place appeals to me - not sure if the other 3 are down for Indian-inspired fancy food).

Any good recommendations?  

Going in early October and staying at a place in Pacifica to stage from.  Plan on going north across the GGB one day (Mt. Tamalpais, Muir Woods and Battery Spencer for the view).  That's all weather contingent.  Another day is going south probably as far as Big Sur.  That will a long, long day. 

The 12 year old boy in me is psyched about our Friday.  Taking the Macanudo-ettes to Alcatraz in the afternoon.  Its Fleet Week and the Blue Angel's will be flying around the time we are either on The Rock or as we ferry back. 

Really hoping someone buzzes the tower.

I was there last week.  SFO arrivals and departures are a nightmare right now.  They only have one runway due to repairs.  If headed there depart and arrive early in the day.  Afternoon flights are a cluster.

I've never seen so many Uber and Lyft cars in my life.  SF Uber X cars are in better shape than Austin Uber Black cars.

Weather was glorious.

It seems like everyone I spoke with wants to move to Texas.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, immamac said:

The number of Michelin Star restaurants would indicate differently.

https://sf.eater.com/maps/san-francisco-bay-area-michelin-restaurants-stars-2019

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

The number of Michelin Star restaurants would indicate differently.

https://sf.eater.com/maps/san-francisco-bay-area-michelin-restaurants-stars-2019

Considering that there are 0 Michelin stars in Texas or Louisiana in the guide I'd say that it basically means fuck all. Michelin stars are full on circle jerk restaurants. Most of them on that list don't even have a fucking review from eater SF so GTFO here with your shit list and actually tell me about places you've eaten there that blow Austin cuisine out of the water. 

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Considering that there are 0 Michelin stars in Texas or Louisiana in the guide I'd say that it basically means fuck all. Michelin stars are full on circle jerk restaurants. Most of them on that list don't even have a fucking review from eater SF so GTFO here with your shit list and actually tell me about places you've eaten there that blow Austin cuisine out of the water. 

Michelin guide definitely has geographical biases but to say SF has no restaurants better than Austin is pushing it. Atelier Crenn is easily one that deserves a try. Some of the ethnic food that you can't get anywhere else like Burmese. 

I need a recommendation for a spot to eat lunch at with someone we are interviewing for a position at our practice.  Me and 2 partners for a total of 4 people.  Will be in the Union Square or Moscone Center area.  Want it to be conducive to conversation but good/nice food.
My cousin who lives in Cali recommended Campton Place, Cafe de la Presse, and Gaspar.  Of the 3, the menu at Cafe de la Presse sounded best.  This is going to be a Saturday lunch (or brunch at most places).  I tentatively have a reservation there at Cafe de la Presse (although Campton Place appeals to me - not sure if the other 3 are down for Indian-inspired fancy food).

Any good recommendations?  
Since people are actually reading now, reposting... Need recs

4 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Tell me about Monterey/Carmel. Really tell me about it because I’m clueless.

If I was planning a 5 day trip to the Bay Area is there enough to do there for two nights? Good food, places to stay, etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monterey sucks - kitschy tourist town. Good for whale tours but nothing else. Maybe the Aquarium if you have kids. Some decent wineries in the area if you like Central coast chardonnays. 

Carmel is a small town but your drop off point to see Big Sur. Plenty of stuff to fill two days like Pebble Beach/17 mile drive, Lobo State Park, Bixby Bridge, Julia Pfeiffer State Park, Pfeiffer Beach, McWay Falls, etc. Lots of good foodie spots too.

• Like 1

Agreed the Canary Row in Monterey is tourist Hell, but the Aquarium is world class. It's huge, and if you have the time you can literally spend the whole day there. Great place. Renting kayaks at Monterey Bay and going out the kelp fields right outside the Aquarium is not to be missed, particularly if you want to see otters close up. 

Carmel is indeed pretty, though it's expensive and heavy on the art galleries and fine dining. But it's generally peaceful, even when overrun by tourists. 

Sunset at Carmel Beach, or Carmel River Beach, on a nice evening is really fantastic.

Point Lobos is an amazing spot, even if you are only interested in short hikes. You need to get there early, as it gets full quickly. Bring lunch as there's nothing else around. Probably some of the prettiest coast line anywhere on the US Pacific. Fight me for it. 

The 17 mile drive is fine, if perhaps overrated - I think you can do your own self-guided drive around the Asilomar area and have as much fun. Be sure to stop occasionally and climb out on the rocks, looking for tide pools. 

Frankly, there are less crowds in Pacific Grove, though it's not as fancy, and the food may be better. Fishwife is a good casual place, Passionfish more upscale. Reservations for both are required unless you like waiting. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Horny04 said:

Where is good to watch TX-OU? It's a 9 a.m. game, the exes watch at Jaxson but I'm staying in Union Square and have to be at a lunch meeting at Waterbar at 12:30

Jaxson will be one of the only bars open for the 9a kickoff man. It's about a 20 min Uber ride from Jaxson to waterbar