General San Francisco Thread

Gardner Barnes

I went to Epic a few months ago for a birthday and it was..ok? Not an area I go to unless for business. 

HOPR is an S.F. treasure. As @AnotherUTFan mentioned reservations can take months but we live three blocks away and go wait for the bar. I’ll update the thread with my current thoughts on dining/drinking in the city if y’all are interested, I just don’t get the sense anyone visits here so I haven’t bothered. 

5 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I went to Epic a few months ago for a birthday and it was..ok? Not an area I go to unless for business. 

HOPR is an S.F. treasure. As @AnotherUTFan mentioned reservations can take months but we live three blocks away and go wait for the bar. I’ll update the thread with my current thoughts on dining/drinking in the city if y’all are interested, I just don’t get the sense anyone visits here so I haven’t bothered. 

I think people visit it plenty. Even when I didn’t have immediate family in the region, I visited regularly for meetings in the valley or conferences and meetings in the city. I am sure there’s plenty in the same boat. 

For HoPR, we had a group of 4 plus a baby and couldn’t get a reservation but only with two weeks of planning. So the men went to the bar and got on the list with the hostess, and the women shopped until we called them. We walked in at 5. They quoted us 2.5 hours and sat us in about an hour and a half. It worked out fine. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think people visit it plenty. Even when I didn’t have immediate family in the region, I visited regularly for meetings in the valley or conferences and meetings in the city. I am sure there’s plenty in the same boat. 

For HoPR, we had a group of 4 plus a baby and couldn’t get a reservation but only with two weeks of planning. So the men went to the bar and got on the list with the hostess, and the women shopped until we called them. We walked in at 5. They quoted us 2.5 hours and sat us in about an hour and a half. It worked out fine. 

I meant during the past three years, given how quiet the thread has been. But there have been a bunch of openings/revampings, and visitors are back, so lots going on. Oh, and the Presidio Tunnel Tops project is done, a new park that connects the mall to Crissy Field  

IMO, the best in the city right now besides the tasting menu scene (these are mostly COVID-era openings):

Mijote is a tasting menu (sorry) but this is my favorite place in the city at the moment. It’s a steal at $80pp right now and the wine list is like 40% above retail; they are super ambitious and they will get a star next year and prices will spike up, so we’ve been going as much as possible.

San Ho Wan is Corey Lee’s (Benu) Korean BBQ spot. Probably the best dining experience we’ve had in some time, but as a warning it is a ton of food. They just got their first star so reservations are pretty backed up.

Ernest is very raw bar/seafood focused. Always get whatever riff in uni carbonara they are doing.

Anchovy Bar is part of The Progress/State Bird. All seafood, basically an upscale version of Swan.

Good Good Culture Club is a pan-Asian concept from the Liho folks.

Liholiho Yacht Club is back! Heard they had some hiccups at first, but we went last week and it was great. My favorite overall spot and was our last dinner before the shutdown, so was great to be back.

Mister Jiu’s is still going very strong. Its upstairs bar, Moongate Lounge, opened right before COVID and has great drinks/snacks.

Nari is Thai and still going very strong as well.

Penny Roma is a casual pasta spot from the Flour+Water folks.

True Laurel is a bar, but it’s Lazy Bear’s bar and has incredible food (and drinks).

Handroll Project is, well, great hand rolls. From the Ju-Ni people.

Casual favorites off the top of my head, from east to west:

Sotte Mare is a classic, but Betty Lou’s was started by a former cook and imo has better food (North Beach).

Z&Y for Szechuan, Bund Cafe for xiao long bao, Capitol for wings (Chinatown).

Swan Oyster update: they have a parklet now, so the line is slightly faster.

Taqueria el Farolito for Mission-style burritos, Panchita’s for pupusas, Tacos el Patron for birria (Mission).

Dumpling Home and Fig & Thistle for pizza (Hayes).

Automat for pastries and sandwiches (Nopa)

Arsicault and Breadbelly for pastries (Inner Richmond). 

Good Luck Dim Sum, Dragon Beaux, Dumpling Alley for dumplings (Richmond). Honestly that whole stretch of Clement is one of the best food areas in the city. Burma Superstar is a classic as well.

San Tung for wings, Thanh Long for whole Dungeness crab and garlic noodles, Queens for Korean snacks…you can’t go wrong on Irving.

Palm City for hoagies, Hook for fish tacos. Good beach provisions (Outer Sunset).

Oh, and Old Mandarin Islamic is way out there, but worth the drive if you like spicy.

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

Heading to San Fran tomorrow through Sunday with a bunch of clients.  Staying at the Westin St Francis in Union Square so looking for the best places to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner around Union Square I guess.  Looking for best food plus some iconic type of places to take the people I am supposed to be entertaining.    

Like in Union Square? Not much. Kin Khao is my favorite. John’s Grill is pretty iconic (Maltese Falcon), definitely a power lunch spot for the City Hall crowd.  Top of the Mark for drinks of course. But right by you’ve got Tadich, Kokkari, Waterbar, Boulevard, Angler, Mister Jiu’s, Tosca Cafe - all great for business meals. Yank Sing used to be great for dim sum but I haven’t been since pre-COVID so don’t know how the lunch scene is these days. Been stopping by Maison Nico for coffee and breakfast quite a bit lately, long line on weekends but you can walk in during the week. 

Edit: forgot to mention Michael Mina opened a swanky Greek concept on California, Estiatorio Ornos. Have not been but have heard mixed reviews. 

Edited by We’reTexas

Is SF dangerous or is that just Fox News bullshit talking points? We're thinking about going sometime in August to watch the Rangers play the A's and Giants but the wife is kind of freaked out about it. All she sees on social media are broken windows and homeless shitting on the sidewalk. 

6 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Is SF dangerous or is that just Fox News bullshit talking points? We're thinking about going sometime in August to watch the Rangers play the A's and Giants but the wife is kind of freaked out about it. All she sees on social media are broken windows and homeless shitting on the sidewalk. 

It's overblown. You'll see tons of homeless people. You'll see lots of people hanging out. Some will ask you for money. You may see people using drugs. Otherwise it's the normal expectations of a big city - don't walk down dark alleys at 2am, don't leave anything visible in a rental car, be alert to your surroundings, etc. 

36 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Your wife should stop watching Fox News.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

I was there in the summer of 2020 and have been a few times since, including late January of this year. The summer of 2020 visit was apocalyptic and stunning. Hordes of homeless people just wreaking fucking havoc everywhere. All of the old tropes about the hippies ruining SF and such were coming true. I'd been probably 30+ times prior to 2020 and dismissed all of that previously, but this shit was different. It's come a long way from that nadir since then. 

That considered, unless you're really unlucky or an imbecile, you don't have a damned thing to worry about from a safety perspective. You will find human shit occasionally on sidewalks and public areas if you wander across the town on foot. Piss is a given on damned near every sidewalk. The homeless in SF are entitled and angry. They'll be pushy about getting something from you if you aren't immediately dismissive or assertive. 

I love to visit SF and will be doing so again this summer. My wife and kids do as well. It's got its absurd drawbacks like those that I just mentioned, but it's worth the long weekend for sure. 

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

It's overblown. You'll see tons of homeless people. You'll see lots of people hanging out. Some will ask you for money. You may see people using drugs. Otherwise it's the normal expectations of a big city - don't walk down dark alleys at 2am, don't leave anything visible in a rental car, be alert to your surroundings, etc. 

Hahahaha. "It's perfectly normal. But also, avoid being in many of the wrong places at the wrong time. And you'll see people openly using drugs wherever you go. Also, there are a lot of homeless people everywhere. Be vigilant about leaving anything valuable in your vehicle." Awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was there in the summer of 2020 and have been a few times since, including late January of this year. The summer of 2020 visit was apocalyptic and stunning. Hordes of homeless people just wreaking fucking havoc everywhere. All of the old tropes about the hippies ruining SF and such were coming true. I'd been probably 30+ times prior to 2020 and dismissed all of that previously, but this shit was different. It's come a long way from that nadir since then. 

That considered, unless you're really unlucky or an imbecile, you don't have a damned thing to worry about from a safety perspective. You will find human shit occasionally on sidewalks and public areas if you wander across the town on foot. Piss is a given on damned near every sidewalk. The homeless in SF are entitled and angry. They'll be pushy about getting something from you if you aren't immediately dismissive or assertive. 

I love to visit SF and will be doing so again this summer. My wife and kids do as well. It's got its absurd drawbacks like those that I just mentioned, but it's worth the long weekend for sure. 

Hahahaha. "It's perfectly normal. But also, avoid being in many of the wrong places at the wrong time. And you'll see people openly using drugs wherever you go. Also, there are a lot of homeless people everywhere. Be vigilant about leaving anything valuable in your vehicle." Awesome.

Exaggerate much? This is limited to a very small part of the city. Yes, it is near the corporate hotels and yes, it is third-world bad but it should totally irrelevant to visitors unless you want awesome Vietnamese food. Get out to GGP next time.  

11 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Exaggerate much? This is limited to a very small part of the city. Yes, it is near the corporate hotels and yes, it is third-world bad but it should totally irrelevant to visitors unless you want awesome Vietnamese food. Get out to GGP next time.  

I gave personal testimony in my post, so you have exactly zero to dispute. I also referenced that I've been to and around the city many, many times, so, yeah, I've been all over it including Golden Gate Park. I also spoke well of visiting the city. 

I don't "exaggerate much" but you might be a little fucking sensitive about one of your cities. That's a you problem and I stand by what I posted, as it is true. And you know damned well that you can go outside right now, if you're in SF and not behind some gated community walls, and see what I described. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I gave personal testimony in my post, so you have exactly zero to dispute. I also referenced that I've been to and around the city many, many times, so, yeah, I've been all over it including Golden Gate Park. I also spoke well of visiting the city. 

I don't "exaggerate much" but you might be a little fucking sensitive about one of your cities. That's a you problem and I stand by what I posted, as it is true. And you know damned well that you can go outside right now, if you're in SF and not behind some gated community walls, and see what I described. 

He gets a little testy. He did the same thing in another thread where I gushed about how much I love SF (hell, my wife and I got married there right before COVID), but that it has struggled more to emerge from the COVID haze than other major cities, namely NYC. 

And you know damned well that you can go outside right now, if you're in SF and not behind some gated community walls, and see what I described. 

Here's a photo of where I am "right now" in SF. It's none of what you described. What you described is a very real and serious issue that is mostly limited to a few extremely small sections of the city - mostly near tourist districts and significant transit stations.

20230503_133515.jpg.2424e230ad2fb458d54ead15d30241b3.jpg20230503_133518.jpg.55c96fcad006b16e85f796845debf9b1.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here's a photo of where I am "right now" in SF. It's none of what you described. What you described is a very real and serious issue that is mostly limited to a few extremely small sections of the city - mostly near tourist districts and significant transit stations.

20230503_133515.jpg.2424e230ad2fb458d54ead15d30241b3.jpg20230503_133518.jpg.55c96fcad006b16e85f796845debf9b1.jpg

Well, thanks for taking the thought literally. How many streets did you have to walk down before getting to this cleaner spot? Also, probably a homeless guy in pic 2.

In all seriousness, you dipshits have already admitted there are places, that tourists are very likely to see, where what I described is an ongoing crisis for the area.

What on earth are you even arguing? That "locals rule!" and a giant city with a widely stratified earning population is going to have some nicer areas where there isn't human shit just littering the sidewalks and public areas? If so, no shit.

A tourist was asking about what they'd see and what they should be worried about while visiting SF in, you know, touristy areas. And get this, other tourists responded with their actual experiences of what they've witnessed and also still rec'd the city and said there's nothing to worry about except the non-violent things that are real there, that you've confirmed.

It's a bizarre reaction from both of you. You don't need to put on your San Francisco robes and wizard hats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Imagine, a couple of San Francisco residents responding to a question about San Francisco in a San Francisco thread?! 

The guy didn't ask what he'd see in San Francisco, he asked if it was dangerous as Fox news portrays. No it's not. Its one of the safest cities in the country actually.

You will likely see some fucked up shit, especially in the touristy areas. Desperate people live desperate lives, and tourist usually have money and downtown offers access to services. That said, they are rarely a threat other than maybe asking for money - I usually try and treat them as human beings by looking them in the eye and either saying no, I don't have anything or maybe offering some change if I have it. Sometimes they'll do something extra wacky for attention and shock value. Maybe there would be less of them shitting on the street if we offered them someplace else to shit. 

I was in New York last year. Right in Manhattan, waiting on a train with friends who live there when some crazy dude straight up body checked and posted up on me. Most threatened I've felt in years. Luckily the train pulled up and we boarded without further escalation. Joked on the ride about my "real New York experience. You don's see me on the New York threads telling people how unsafe New York is based on my personal antidote as a tourist. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Looks like someone was at one of my favorite bars to visit...(the Toronado).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

The guy didn't ask what he'd see in San Francisco, he asked if it was dangerous as Fox news portrays. No it's not. Its one of the safest cities in the country actually.

You will likely see some fucked up shit

The data suggests you'll see some fucked up shit too

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/105IDODri5Qbi3Mj-SGHFUwkfEzt4pAXA4qsprHRzdmo/edit#gid=0

Edited by TotallyLegit

My two cents. I was there a few months ago for the first time since the pandemic. I was all over the city, took public transportation everywhere, and never felt unsafe. Aside from the Tenderloin, and Civic Center and mid-Market, I saw very few homeless, and no one ever bothered us. Also, I personally did not see any pee or poop on the sidewalks. That said, there are a few weird characters walking around, but that's what makes The City unique. I was more shocked by the number of places that have closed or have limited business hours, so plan accordingly.

Edited by fwtxbevo

Here today for 24 hours for a speaking engagement tonight.  Lunch at Angler and low and behold, Pliny!  

Hoping I don’t get pulled into conversation after my event so I can snag a cheap seat to the game   Why couldn’t it start at 7?? 

Love this town   It’s definitely grimier than pre-pandemic but just be safe and make good decisions.   8th and Neches is more foreboding    

37608D8D-4DF3-4C03-B8C0-8DE79439AAE8.jpeg

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Here today for 24 hours for a speaking engagement tonight.  Lunch at Angler and low and behold, Pliny!  

Hoping I don’t get pulled into conversation after my event so I can snag a cheap seat to the game   Why couldn’t it start at 7?? 

Love this town   It’s definitely grimier than pre-pandemic but just be safe and make good decisions.   8th and Neches is more foreboding    

37608D8D-4DF3-4C03-B8C0-8DE79439AAE8.jpeg

A cheap seat at the game? You do know it's game 2 of the NBA Western Conference Semi-Finals right? If you do happen to snag "cheap" seats, check out Chris Mullin doing the Warriors pre-game TV show in Thrive City outside Chase.

1 hour ago, fwtxbevo said:

A cheap seat at the game? You do know it's game 2 of the NBA Western Conference Semi-Finals right? If you do happen to snag "cheap" seats, check out Chris Mullin doing the Warriors pre-game TV show in Thrive City outside Chase.

maybe cheap to him is $900

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, huge said:

maybe cheap to him is $900

It’s all relative depending on the game but yeah for Lebron v Steph that’s about right.  :) 

In any event, work event lasted until 7 so I had no shot.  Guess I’ll have to spend that money at Gold Club instead. Same same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Heading to San Fran tomorrow through Sunday with a bunch of clients.  Staying at the Westin St Francis in Union Square so looking for the best places to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner around Union Square I guess.  Looking for best food plus some iconic type of places to take the people I am supposed to be entertaining.    

Curious to hear how the trip went

43 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Curious to hear how the trip went

Got back last night.  I still love San Fran but there is definitely a lot of homeless people wandering around or on the sidewalk.  I did see shit on the ground in areas near Union Square (guessing it was human and not dog shit) which was kind of disgusting but didn't see needles and people doing drugs everywhere.  First night one of the people I was with picked a restaurant in the Tenderloin area, but I can't remember the name of the place. The food was mediocre and it was definitely a sketchy area to say the least.  Once I got to North Beach area and the Wharf area it seemed like the same old San Fran I have been going to for 30 years.  China town is the same as it's always been.  Went to Napa to have lunch at Bouchon and then to a private wine tasting at Keever Winery which was great.  Had dinner at Bix supper club which I thought was pretty good also.  

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Once I got to North Beach area and the Wharf area it seemed like the same old San Fran I have been going to for 30 years. 

My last trip to San Fran was a quick weekend getaway in June 2022.  Our hotel was in North Beach and we spent most of our time around that general vicinity, with one evening in Richmond for dinner.  I'm pretty used to seeing a good-sized homeless populations when I go to places like San Fran, Seattle, and NYC, and I don't remember seeing a noticeably high number of homeless folks in San Fran than those other towns.  But, we didn't venture around the downtown area, and we were back in our hotel relatively early each night. 

I still love the town.

Back in the area but for meetings in Burlingame (boo!).  If you ever have to stay at airport, stay at Marriott Waterfront or Westin, get a waterfront view, and walk over to New England Lobster Company for lunch or early dinner

Monday Lobster special for $25 is first picture.   Also got a lobster taco (not as good of a deal but tasty).  

8E587F75-5B39-4E03-B99D-5A9AECD524AF.jpeg

55499B4B-E22F-4A5E-90EA-2E3F9920809B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Back in the area but for meetings in Burlingame (boo!).  If you ever have to stay at airport, stay at Marriott Waterfront or Westin, get a waterfront view, and walk over to New England Lobster Company for lunch or early dinner

Monday Lobster special for $25 is first picture.   Also got a lobster taco (not as good of a deal but tasty).  

8E587F75-5B39-4E03-B99D-5A9AECD524AF.thumb.jpeg.2efac541ed4304c4b899f830d0d09c28.jpeg
55499B4B-E22F-4A5E-90EA-2E3F9920809B.thumb.jpeg.ae9848c4787ecfd82da4949e1ffcc868.jpeg
That's a good spot. I have a customer about 3 blocks away, which gives me a good opportunity to take them there on occasion. Right by the airport where they are flown in fresh from Maine.

• 2 months later...

Back in SF visiting family with my family for the weekend. Went to a place called “Rich Table” last night with my wife. Any residents ever been? I’m curious as to if the locals dig it or not. We loved it and had the tasting menu. I’d recommend it to anyone visiting who wants a very SF dining experience. It wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t off the charts if you like to eat. 

Going to some modern beer garden tonight called Radhaus near Ghirardelli Square that is apparently kid friendly and gives you the sunset beyond GG Bridge and going taking the kids to the Muir Woods before that. 

House of Prime Rib tomorrow after a bunch of family stuff. Seeing A’s/Giants on Sunday. 

Went and picked up a rental car for the day today in Nob Hill and stepped over a pile of shit walking there and my wife and I got heckled by an angry hobo from across the street for reasons beyond our grasp. It’s still a great and … interesting city. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Back in SF visiting family with my family for the weekend. Went to a place called “Rich Table” last night with my wife. Any residents ever been? I’m curious as to if the locals dig it or not. We loved it and had the tasting menu. I’d recommend it to anyone visiting who wants a very SF dining experience. It wasn’t cheap but it wasn’t off the charts if you like to eat. 

Going to some modern beer garden tonight called Radhaus near Ghirardelli Square that is apparently kid friendly and gives you the sunset beyond GG Bridge and going taking the kids to the Muir Woods before that. 

House of Prime Rib tomorrow after a bunch of family stuff. Seeing A’s/Giants on Sunday. 

Went and picked up a rental car for the day today in Nob Hill and stepped over a pile of shit walking there and my wife and I got heckled by an angry hobo from across the street for reasons beyond our grasp. It’s still a great and … interesting city. 

Rich Table is one of the best in the city. More of a special occasion spot for us bc of the tasting menu, need to go soon.  If you liked that cooking, their old chef de cuisine opened his own spot, Ernest, which is a little more casual. 

Radhaus is in Fort Mason (aka Frat Mason), it is kid friendly and is a good spot. Usually on Fridays they have live music and food trucks in the complex but I checked and it doesn’t look like it’s going on right now. If y’all are walking around, recommend checking out the new Francisco Park. Also, the new Presidio tunnel tops have a big playground and usually food trucks/bars on weekends. Parking is pretty easy. 

• Hook 'Em 1