corporate america: we had a record 2018, so we're cutting 8% of the workforce

hayden_horn

On 2/13/2019 at 2:12 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The richest 1% of the nation have a net worth that exceeds that of the bottom 90%, a trend that continues to grow in favor of the 1%.    History offers no examples of a similar situation that, over time, did not result in revolution. 

I quit reading the thread b/c this is the crux of the issue.  Wealth disparity.  It's going to be what brings the whole thing crashing down.  Probably after I'm dead.  I'd say....30-40 years and this 250+ year old experiment will be toast. 

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey man, I'm not exactly a millennial, but what you described isn't always an option. I got a job at Hewlett Packard in 2005 and thought I was set. My step father worked for shell for 30 years. HP was a great big company with lots of options, and I was a hard worker I was confident if something didn't fit I'd have opportunity to find other jobs within a Fortune 100 company. I worked there for a year, and was unhappy. I then spent an additional 6-8 months attempting to interview within the company, using their work portal. I must have applied for 20 jobs for which I was absolutely qualified. I got zero interviews. Not one. Not even the courtesy interview for the guy down the hall. Because even though I was required to go through the HR portal, hiring managers weren't required to use it. Now, I realize that HP was a beyond broken system in this regard, but I'm just pointing out that I really, really wanted to work with one big company that had lots of opportunities for smart people to try new things. But I couldn't even get a courtesy interview internally. Sometimes things dont work out as seamlessly as you hope. 

Didn’t mean to imply that staying with one company is the right way, the only way, or the best way.  I was just sharing my experience.

I have posted in this thread that I don’t have a problem with the folks who change employers.  It can be part of going and getting what’s yours in life, IMHO. I cannot say I never looked elsewhere- I just never had a better offer than my existing situation, so it was not worth the headache of changing that way.

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Modern American "conservatives"  seem to be incapable of imagining and empathizing with anyone's personal situation unless it mirrors their own life. Very weird. 

Modern liberalism seems deadset upon making sure everyone is equally miserable, regardless of different life choices/ responsibilities/ efforts.

That broad brush paints like a motherfucker, eh?

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Didn’t mean to imply that staying with one company is the right way, the only way, or the best way.  I was just sharing my experience.

I have posted in this thread that I don’t have a problem with the folks who change employers.  It can be part of going and getting what’s yours in life, IMHO. I cannot say I never looked elsewhere- I just never had a better offer than my existing situation, so it was not worth the headache of changing that way.

Yeah man, totally fair. I wasn't trying to be adversarial in my post. Just pointing out that all things preferred, I'd have chosen a path similar to yours when I was younger. It didn't work out for me thankfully. 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Modern liberalism seems deadset upon making sure everyone is equally miserable, regardless of different life choices/ responsibilities/ efforts.

That broad brush paints like a motherfucker, eh?

There is this notion that those who are at the bottom put in less work.  My friends who were entry level attorneys used to tease me about how little time off I had.  48 hour shifts or working 29 hours on a Friday and being called by my boss asking me to drive 3 hours, catch a flight back to Houston, and work all weekend.   Yep.