Casey Thompson

Tex Long

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Casey will ball out and keep the starting job. He will lead us to victory over OU. Give those fucks a taste of their own medicine by beating them with a kid from the state of Oklahoma.

Feed Bijan and let Casey air it out on their shit ass defense. 

13 hours ago, F250 said:

I said something similar to my 16 year old last weekend who needed to be talked off the ledge. Casey is a baller and will not let up now that he is in the driver's seat. Dude is going be motivated as fuck and will generate a shit ton of offense.

Fuck yes. He's done nothing but prove himself every single time he's been called upon, garbage time or not. Isn't that what he's supposed to do? Then why are all these mf'ers bitching? I know it's Surly and we love to bitch, but this dude has ice in his veins. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So... I rewatched the "Casey almost threw a pick six!!11ii" play about 20 times last night...

Does anybody have the all-22 or overhead of that play?

I am pretty sure there was a miscommunication on the play and wasn't simply "Casey fucked that up and got lucky..."  The depth of the throw was as expected by both QB and WR, but the throw looks like it was a deep in and it looks like the WR was expecting back shoulder.  If the receiver runs an inside route there, he posts the defender and the ball is on the money.  It looks like that is what Casey expected.  On the flip side, if Casey throws back shoulder, the WR probably makes the catch there...

It doesn't look like a bad decision or bad throw.  Go watch it and tell me what you see.  Like I said, I can't see everything in the play (other routes, WRs route, coverage) to help me be more sure, but from what I could see, they just screwed up the play and got away with it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... I rewatched the "Casey almost threw a pick six!!11ii" play about 20 times last night...

Does anybody have the all-22 or overhead of that play?

I am pretty sure there was a miscommunication on the play and wasn't simply "Casey fucked that up and got lucky..."  The depth of the throw was as expected by both QB and WR, but the throw looks like it was a deep in and it looks like the WR was expecting back shoulder.  If the receiver runs an inside route there, he posts the defender and the ball is on the money.  It looks like that is what Casey expected.  On the flip side, if Casey throws back shoulder, the WR probably makes the catch there...

It doesn't look like a bad decision or bad throw.  Go watch it and tell me what you see.  Like I said, I can't see everything in the play (other routes, WRs route, coverage) to help me be more sure, but from what I could see, they just screwed up the play and got away with it.

One thing I like about Casey getting his shot, he’s not afraid to be aggressive and fit a ball into a tight window, go through his progressions, check down to our running backs and take off when the yards are there. Plus the whole been in the program 4 years and seems ready to take the reigns 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

One thing I like about Casey getting his shot, he’s not afraid to be aggressive and fit a ball into a tight window, go through his progressions, check down to our running backs and take off when the yards are there. Plus the whole been in the program 4 years and seems ready to take the reigns 

Yup.

Kid earned his shot. Good for him.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Some guys don't show in practice 

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

It’s just Rice, but he deserves a shot against the better teams. The young man is playing VERY well.

ETA: watching his movement in the pocket, it’s clear he paid attention to what Sam did running the ball. There was one play where he gave a guy the ol hesitation dead leg and took it up inside the numbers for a first.

Edited by lilMAC25

I think about Sark’s decision and it’s just one of those things. He has only seen the guys since spring. Sure he saw the bowl game video. But in practice, running drills exactly as told, I’m sure the pure arm talent of Card looked real good. And it’s one of those things that Sark just trusted his eyes.

but after this, you can’t deny it. Casey just looks calmer and in control. And it’s not like he hasn’t been lit up because of our shitty OL. And yet he still stands in and is making throws. Casey is no doubt the starter and I’m glad even IT is gonna have eat this haha

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Yeah he’s ready for the spotlight at the cotton bowl. He’s gonna come in calm and collected while card would shit his pants running out of the tunnel. Really looking forward to Casey, Bijan, roschon, Robinson Worthy, Whittington and Moore against ou. And what PK has dialed up 

• Drool 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

I know it’s Rice but it’s night and fucking day.

(I’m kind of concerned that Sark thought Card was the better option for 2021.)

I’m not concerned. Card fits the talent mold of what Sark eventually wants and Casey was evidently mistake prone this fall. Losing the initial battle may have been a good thing for Casey, meaning it’s possible he’s making better decisions now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Casey would have beat arky.  I will believe that until the day I die. 

Yep. Earlier this week I envisioned that down the line this season the biggest question will be "What if we just played Casey against Arkansas?" 

I mean... maybe we fuck around and lose 5 games anyway... but I imagine a future where we wonder if we could have gotten in the playoff conversation without that Arky loss. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yep. Earlier this week I envisioned that down the line this season the biggest question will be "What if we just played Casey against Arkansas?" 

I mean... maybe we fuck around and lose 5 games anyway... but I imagine a future where we wonder if we could have gotten in the playoff conversation without that Arky loss. 

Eh it’s over. Hopefully sark learns from that and we keep on rolling. The big 12 isn’t all that great this year. But fuck, I would see us going 10-2 just as easily as I can see us going 7-5. Whatever. Looking forward to Worthy and the defenses progress throughout the year. Now for the love of fuck put Karic at LT

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Arkansas was rough but it doesn’t matter now. we are going to win out and make the playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Xian said:

With Casey starting against arky and that muffed punt we recovered but our dudes toe was just out of bounds. Eh again whatever. Hopefully sark and the coaching staff make the necessary adjustments. We can’t go into the ou game with Jones and Okafor starting. Karic needs to start fucking badly

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Xian said:

He for sure would not have got the  defense gassed completely out in the first half, so yes, probably would have won the game...It's a real head scratcher why Sark didn't  replace Card in the 2nd quarter with Casey.  It was clear that Card was rattled and not comfortable at all.  Oh well, guess all coaches struggle a little with benching QBs...

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

I know it’s Rice but it’s night and fucking day.

That doesnt concern me, everyone said the competition was close and Card was doing some things that made it appear he was the guy. I'd be far more concerned if a change wasnt made after the Piggie game performance, but even that wasnt totally Cards fault, but a significant portion was.
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Azbadlands said:

He for sure would not have got the  defense gassed completely out in the first half, so yes, probably would have won the game...It's a real head scratcher why Sark didn't  replace Card in the 2nd quarter with Casey.  It was clear that Card was rattled and not comfortable at all.  Oh well, guess all coaches struggle a little with benching QBs...

Long term, you try to leave it in the kids minds that they have a chance to right the ship. Imagine if we pulled a kid for sucking for a half. Vince would've been pulled against OSU. We ended up scoring 49 unanswered. You want them to not be looking over their shoulder for the hook. Unless of course you are the Ole Ball Coach.

As far as seeing it in practice goes, there is no question that Card has the livelier arm. Yesterday there was a ball Casey tossed out to a receiver who was chopped down as soon as he caught it. Same ball Card threw to Roschon game one, but Card's ball got on RJ quicker and gave him a chance to make a move. No place on the field is safe from Card's arm, so I can see why Sark would pull the trigger on the guy during practice. However, when the bullets start flying the intangibles come out. Up to this point Casey seems to have those. He got popped a few times yesterday and walked right back to the huddle and did his job, much like Sam used to.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

This is how I felt before the first game.  I know Card's got a big arm and loads of potential, but in general I don't think a guy who's proved himself in a big game should lose his job on the practice field very often.  I could've seen giving both guys playing time and saying they've both earned it, as was the plan, but shouldn't Casey have been starting the whole time?  Might we be 3-0 if he had?

• Hook 'Em 7

I too was shocked CT wasn’t the starter to begin with. That is concerning for a QB whisperer. CT has “it” for sure. Last night was so lopsided though he didn’t really get a lot of opportunities to make plays under pressure. His performance at Arkansas was more reassuring.  Let’s hope he can continue to improve. I’m optimistic. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1