Casey Thompson

Tex Long

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This is how I felt before the first game.  I know Card's got a big arm and loads of potential, but in general I don't think a guy who's proved himself in a big game should lose his job on the practice field very often.  I could've seen giving both guys playing time and saying they've both earned it, as was the plan, but shouldn't Casey have been starting the whole time?  Might we be 3-0 if he had?

Yeah it was a head scratcher but I was all for it. Just whoever showed the most potential and unfortunately Card isn’t quite ready yet. Fuck it. Casey leads us to a big 12 title and Bijan wins the doak walker award 

• Hook 'Em 2

Here is what I am really hoping doesn’t happen. Based on his threats last night for Card to see lots of playing time vs Tech, I sure hope Sark isn’t one of those, “I’ll stick with my guy just to prove I wasn’t wrong,” dudes. Scott Frost wedded himself to Martinez for his entire tenure and it is going to cost him his job.

I am also imagining that choosing Card over Thompson wasn’t popular among the team. Am I crazy, or does anyone else get that sense from some of the comments that they have let slip? I believe you do need two QBs those days but Thompson has already lost invaluable playing time during the first two games and I think he got pulled too early last night.

Is Sark purposely sabotaging him? Does he dislike Thompson cause he is part of an old regime and Card is whom he been imprinted with? Am I seeing conspiracies where there are none? Do I need to call the Ukrainian girl hotline? So many questions. 

Russina-Beauties.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Cashcar said:

Agree. Sark made a shitty eval but it happens. He likely fell in love with Card’s arm talent. Sark stubbornly waited way too long against Pig to bench Card (should have been done at the half down 16-0). 

Casey is just more of a “gamer” and seems poised. Some of this is likely due to maturity, but some perhaps just his natural demeanor. 

I think Sark was giving Card a chance to go into the half - settle down and reset - and then start the third quarter.  It didn't work out - but better to find it out OOC then in a game against Tech or TCU.

I don't expect Casey to relinquish the starting spot - but I also don't think Sark is going to give either of these QB's an exceptionally long leash from this point forward.  Card will continue to get snaps but it will mostly be to hand off and run clock.

• Hook 'Em 1

The silver lining, if you can call it that, from our Arkansas debacle and subsequent QB change is that we can change the narrative from "Texas is not ready for prime time" to "Texas is a different team with Casey leading." I am not sure the lines can develop fast enough for us to win the Big 12 this year, but if they do, we could still have a shot at the playoffs. If we are in contention at the end of the year, the Arkansas loss may not be looked upon by the pundits as a bad loss because we experimented with a Freshman QB to start the season that just didn't work out.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

Card seemed to have a good attitude out there last night. He was smiling and upbeat, and didn’t seem like he was sulking or anything at having to go in for mop up duty. 

I think long-term he’ll be good for us. But even though Casey didn’t come into the season with a ton more game experience than Hudson, it seems like his years with the program have made the game slow down for Casey in a way they haven’t yet with Card.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

The silver lining, if you can call it that, from our Arkansas debacle and subsequent QB change is that we can change the narrative from "Texas is not ready from prime time" to "Texas is a different team with Casey leading." I am not sure the lines can develop fast enough for us to win the Big 12 this year, but if they do, we could still have a shot at the playoffs. If we are in contention at the end of the year, the Arkansas loss may not be looked upon by the pundits as a bad loss because we experimented with a Freshman QB to start the season that just didn't work out.

Oh yeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Here is what I am really hoping doesn’t happen. Based on his threats last night for Card to see lots of playing time vs Tech, I sure hope Sark isn’t one of those, “I’ll stick with my guy just to prove I wasn’t wrong,” dudes. Scott Frost wedded himself to Martinez for his entire tenure and it is going to cost him his job.

I am also imagining that choosing Card over Thompson wasn’t popular among the team. Am I crazy, or does anyone else get that sense from some of the comments that they have let slip? I believe you do need two QBs those days but Thompson has already lost invaluable playing time during the first two games and I think he got pulled too early last night.

Is Sark purposely sabotaging him? Does he dislike Thompson cause he is part of an old regime and Card is whom he been imprinted with? Am I seeing conspiracies where there are none? Do I need to call the Ukrainian girl hotline? So many questions. 

Russina-Beauties.jpg

2,3,4, 1

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Casey got pulled when they were up 44-0 and Sark was looking to run clock and play the 4 deep.  I don't think there was much more they needed to see from Casey - he had reps in each of the last two games before Rice and showed his confidence/poise in the Colorado game.

As for Sark being stubborn and sticking with his guy - he just benched the guy you're calling 'his guy' and already named Casey as the likely starter against Tech.  I think Sark was using OOC to evaluate the QB's before conference play begins - and wanted to see what Card looked like in a live-fire excercise.  He found out that the moment was a bit too big for the young QB. 

I do agree that the team seems to really support Casey (not that they don't support Card, but...) and I would expect that for a 'good soldier' like Casey who stuck around and played the good backup for three seasons. 

Your evaluation is more positive, and I hope you're right.  But I have been deeply traumatized by the last 10 years and now I trust no one. I need help! 

Herman-Flip-300.gif

12 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The silver lining, if you can call it that, from our Arkansas debacle and subsequent QB change is that we can change the narrative from "Texas is not ready for prime time" to "Texas is a different team with Casey leading."

I hope that's right.  But you could just as easily say "Texas is a different team when they play a shitty Rice team than when they play a decent pissed off Power 5 team."  That's not an excuse, but lets not act like a game against Rice is can produce any real data.  Casey's snaps against Arkansas (which looked better clearly better than Card's) showed us way more than his snaps against Rice.  

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You guys are over thinking this.  Casey turned the ball over more in practice so Card got the start.  Other than a difference in turnovers they looked about even so you give it to the young guy.  It was the right call based on limited information.  Sark has been quoted as saying he didn't want to put too much stock into the film from last year without knowing what play was called, what the coaches wanted from that play, what the reads should have been, etc...  He thought they looked about even so he went with the young gun.  It was the right call at the time without the benefit of hindsight you guys all have.  Circumstances have changed and Casey looked better against Arkansas (Rice means jack shit) so now it's the right call to make Casey the guy for the year.  At this point Card still needs reps when he can get them but it needs to no longer be under the guise of an ongoing QB competition.  

I get that it's a message board and it's our job to second guess every decision and every play... but only the ones that don't work out and only after the fact.  But almost every person around this program that sees a lot more of it than us expected Card to get the job.  I don't fault Sark for missing on that since he was quick to make the change.  That's life, you get shit wrong, you recognize it, you change it up and move on.

Your post Gave me AIDS - Spiderman Cancer | Make a Meme

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

But almost every person around this program that sees a lot more of it than us expected Card to get the job.  

By "almost every person around the program" if you mean IT, I am right there with you. Plenty of other observers thought Casey was more poised and ready. 

The offense looks choppy with Card because sometimes he can make the big throws and other times he will get 3 and out. With Casey, the offense has always been more fluid even when he doesn't hit the big throws.

Edited by UTEE97

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I hope that's right.  But you could just as easily say "Texas is a different team when they play a shitty Rice team than when they play a decent pissed off Power 5 team."  That's not an excuse, but lets not act like a game against Rice is can produce any real data.  Casey's snaps against Arkansas (which looked better clearly better than Card's) showed us way more than his snaps against Rice.  

Well, the team has to win the conference for this narrative to mean something, which also means they would have improved a lot since Arkansas. 

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

The offense looks choppy with Card because sometimes he can make the big throws and other times he will get 3. With Casey, the offense has always been more fluid even when he doesn't hit the big throws.

I agree.  The truth game out in the OOC games and now we have the right guy in there.  Life is good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Xian said:

Casey would have beat arky.  I will believe that until the day I die. 

Yes sir. It's difficult to overestimate just how horribly it affected the team stepping out in that hostile environment and seeing their starting QB shit his pants on the field. That wrecked their confidence. Hell if Sark quickly realizes he was shitting his pants like we all did and pulls him in the first quarter when it's still a one score game there's a chance Thompson rights the ship and they pull it out.  

• Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, troph said:

I too was shocked CT wasn’t the starter to begin with. That is concerning for a QB whisperer. CT has “it” for sure. Last night was so lopsided though he didn’t really get a lot of opportunities to make plays under pressure. His performance at Arkansas was more reassuring.  Let’s hope he can continue to improve. I’m optimistic. 

It's really surprising considering just one year ago Sark went with the QB who had been sitting the bench and learning for a few years and that guy went out and calmly led the best offensive talent in the game and dominated. He just saw it work and Thompson is basically Texas' version of Mac Jones. 

I am glad he quickly recognized the mistake and made the change after only fucking up one game instead of being stubborn. The guy can admit with his actions he made a mistake and that's very important going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's really surprising considering just one year ago Sark went with the QB who had been sitting the bench and learning for a few years and that guy went out and calmly led the best offensive talent in the game and dominated. He just saw it work and Thompson is basically Texas' version of Mac Jones. 

I am glad he quickly recognized the mistake and made the change after only fucking up one game instead of being stubborn. The guy can admit with his actions he made a mistake and that's very important going forward. 

This is the debatable part that we will still be arguing about 20 years from now. But as a seasoned coach, he cannot afford to hesitate and has to be quicker to make corrections when things are going sideways. Don't wait until the game is out of reach before you finally make adjustments.

Sarkisian failed greatly by not adjusting his system to his personnel. He also failed to recognize that every game on the schedule is a "rivalry" game because WE'RE TEXAS and everyone is treating us as their Super Bowl opponent. Rice didn't quit playing until less than 20 seconds left in regulation despite being down 58 points - they were determined to get into the end zone. The Longhorns are going to get that type of effort every week and especially more so since conference play is starting.

I'm generally happy with the effort (outside the starting OL, run defense, and silly special teams mistakes) and result versus Rice, but have to remember that Rice is terribad. We'll see if Sarkisian has actually learned his lessons starting next week versus Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This is the debatable part that we will still be arguing about 20 years from now. But as a seasoned coach, he cannot afford to hesitate and has to be quicker to make corrections when things are going sideways. Don't wait until the game is out of reach before you finally make adjustments.

Sarkisian failed greatly by not adjusting his system to his personnel. He also failed to recognize that every game on the schedule is a "rivalry" game because WE'RE TEXAS and everyone is treating us as their Super Bowl opponent. Rice didn't quit playing until less than 20 seconds left in regulation despite being down 58 points - they were determined to get into the end zone. The Longhorns are going to get that type of effort every week and especially more so since conference play is starting.

I'm generally happy with the effort (outside the starting OL, run defense, and silly special teams mistakes) and result versus Rice, but have to remember that Rice is terribad. We'll see if Sarkisian has actually learned his lessons starting next week versus Tech.

I've definitely criticized him for not making the switch in the first quarter after it was obvious Card was in shock. That said I was referring more to at least he made the change after one game and not waiting until getting embarrassed in the cotton bowl to make big changes. 

I'm also inclined to give him a bit of a break since he's new to this situation. He was a west coast guy then got spoiled being able to run Nick Saban's machine for a bit. He's just now learning Texas football and I'm hopeful he'll get it quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

This has to be one of the weirdest stats ever. Week 1 Rice goes to Arkansas and plays them tight almost beating them. Week 2 Texas goes to Arkansas and gets blown out. Week 3 Rice goes to Texas and gets slaughtered 58-0. It's wacky

People overrate the common opponents thing every season. It just isn’t a reliable indicator 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

By "almost every person around the program" if you mean IT, I am right there with you. Plenty of other observers thought Casey was more poised and ready. 

And I’m a broken record on this - but they were pimping Card hard all off-season without ever disclosing their own financial interest and bias in his success. 9.95ers lacked journalistic integrity before, but this seems uniquely shitty. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

If I remember correctly Sark has said he places emphasis on the QB being able to hit his receivers in full stride in his offense which obviously requires a high degree of accuracy and a quick release motion. Card may have exhibited these traits to a better degree than Casey in camp and likely led to him getting the starts. Once it became apparent (painfully so) that he wasn’t ready to translate that to in-game results, plan B (moving the offense and scoring points) Casey the “gamer” was an obvious no brainer. Card may still tear it up after a bit of maturity and experience but I give Sark credit for not waiting any longer (yes he waited a bit too long in the Arky game) and going with the logical and obvious choice in going with Casey. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The silver lining, if you can call it that, from our Arkansas debacle and subsequent QB change is that we can change the narrative from "Texas is not ready for prime time" to "Texas is a different team with Casey leading." I am not sure the lines can develop fast enough for us to win the Big 12 this year, but if they do, we could still have a shot at the playoffs. If we are in contention at the end of the year, the Arkansas loss may not be looked upon by the pundits as a bad loss because we experimented with a Freshman QB to start the season that just didn't work out.
If piggy beats aggy next week (who has taken over our most overrated spot in recent years) then even staunch haters will be forced to give us some credit. Is this a playoff caliber team? Probably not, but if they can play up to their potential in remaining games and the injury gods are good to us..winning the Big 12 isnt out of the question.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

If piggy beats aggy next week (who has taken over our most overrated spot in recent years) then even staunch haters will be forced to give us some credit. Is this a playoff caliber team? Probably not, but if they can play up to their potential in remaining games and the injury gods are good to us..winning the Big 12 isnt out of the question.

Hope piggy didn't exhaust all their energy on us and still have plenty left in the tank. They just don't hate Aggy the way they hate us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Card wouldn't be the 1st guy nor the last with off the wall intangibles for the position that doesn't make due to the game never slowly down for him. Casey in his limited time has never appeared to have that dear in the headlights look when things are going poorly. Of course, things have never really gone poorly for the Longhorns when he is in the game.

In nearly 88 minutes of game time in which Casey was the primary QB, Texas has outscored their competition 104-28. Granted not all game action is the same, but the team plays with an edge when he's in there for sure.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Card wouldn't be the 1st guy nor the last with off the wall intangibles for the position that doesn't make due to the game never slowly down for him. Casey in his limited time has never appeared to have that dear in the headlights look when things are going poorly. Of course, things have never really gone poorly for the Longhorns when he is in the game.

In nearly 88 minutes of game time in which Casey was the primary QB, Texas has outscored their competition 104-28. Granted not all game action is the same, but the team plays with an edge when he's in there for sure.

For the sake of clarification, which qb intangibles are you referring to?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That is a hell of an judgement that the coaches who work with him were unable to observe.   Card will be fine, my biggest concern for him is actually his quiet personality.    

108-24!  And about 44-0 of that is with our 2021 Old against Rice?  what grade are we giving the left side of the OL? D or F? 

so, the only places on offense that were evaluated incorrectly were the OL and the QB?  

Since the OL is the only remaining issue on offense, can Sark's OL coach fix it before OU?  I'm saying no at this point.  Lose 2 or 3 more even with improvement in OL, and I still consider the season a success at 9-3 or 8-4.   Bottom line, we just need to see improvement in every phase as the year goes along.  

Hoping next year is a year when everybody should be rolling for day one.  Predicitng one or two losses next year, assuming the OL gets fixed at some point.  

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Casey got pulled when they were up 44-0 and Sark was looking to run clock and play the 4 deep.  I don't think there was much more they needed to see from Casey - he had reps in each of the last two games before Rice and showed his confidence/poise in the Colorado game.

As for Sark being stubborn and sticking with his guy - he just benched the guy you're calling 'his guy' and already named Casey as the likely starter against Tech.  I think Sark was using OOC to evaluate the QB's before conference play begins - and wanted to see what Card looked like in a live-fire excercise.  He found out that the moment was a bit too big for the young QB. 

I do agree that the team seems to really support Casey (not that they don't support Card, but...) and I would expect that for a 'good soldier' like Casey who stuck around and played the good backup for three seasons. 

Based on Casey throwing that INT when he was getting hit tells me that he does not have enough playing time. I would have preferred he played the whole game. The team is at a disadvantage now thanks to Sark's decision to start Card. How come I don't feel as excited about Sark as I did a month ago? Why couldn't he make a call that seemed obvious then and even more now? Why has this been going on for 10 years now? Why are we all allowing ourselves to get sucked in every year? Why hasn't Anastasia returned any of my emails?

Russian-Dating-2.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, troph said:

I too was shocked CT wasn’t the starter to begin with. That is concerning for a QB whisperer. CT has “it” for sure. Last night was so lopsided though he didn’t really get a lot of opportunities to make plays under pressure. His performance at Arkansas was more reassuring.  Let’s hope he can continue to improve. I’m optimistic. 

It was dumb. But once upon a time Jimmy Johnson wanted Steve Walsh to start over Troy Aikman. These guys aren’t rocket scientists. What’s more Important is that they recognize when they made a mistake.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It was dumb. But once upon a time Jimmy Johnson wanted Steve Walsh to start over Troy Aikman. These guys aren’t rocket scientists. What’s more Important is that they recognize when they made a mistake.

That’s a really, really good analogy/example. Hell yeah. 

Let’s start this off saying Thompson starts this weekend and probably the remainder of the season.

But I get a little annoyed with the bs.

The Oline was very functional. Many, many hats on hats. They played hard. Yes, there were some miscommunications, but I’m not certain some of the QB pressure wasn’t due to RB failings. And generally when one guy came free, all others were blocked. And they also kept playing. A good example was Roschon cut back in which Acho was hyping up Thompson leading the way. Angilau kept playing and blew up that would be tackler. Thompson did not block Jack and the guy he could have blocked made the tackle. That’s fine just don’t make it more than what it was. On Bijans 62 yard TD, Angilau annihilated his man. Occasionally, Rice had a guy on the box that we couldn’t account for. I suspect blame the lack blocking on that. Yeah, I think we just shoot for blocking man for man at this point. See Roschon long TD. I expect Bijan and Roschon to win many of those one on one battles.

Thompson made every play he needed to make. But there were really only about 4. Play calling was good. That TD to Wiley was all the play call. There are thousands of HS school QBs that can make that play. The Acho shimmie reference was pretty useless. The corner had already jumped to Bijan.

Looked as though everyone played hard so when one dude missed his block or tackle someone picked them up.

We may have beaten ArKansas with Thompson but play calling was better against lesser talent. And there were no major screwups like play 2 versus the pigs.

Just keep working. If we give that kind of effort, lots of good things will happen.

• Hook 'Em 3