Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

He’s just trolling you.  And everybody.  All the time.  Best not to reply to the worst human being on this site.  Negates the benefit to the hundreds who have him on ignore.  

Oh I know. I’m just waiting for his bullshit reply which proves he doesn’t know a damn thing about it.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Then why don’t you tell it then and spare us the suspense?

jimmy wanted to trade walsh. from day one. never intended to not have troy be his guy. he drafted troy with the top pick in the real draft, numbnuts. then he had to play the game of acting like he valued steve walsh without completely alienating troy while also driving up walsh’s trade value. jimmy has explained all of this, on record. he was a mad scientist with the roster, a psychologist, and a genius. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

jimmy wanted to trade walsh. from day one. never intended to not have troy be his guy. he drafted troy with the top pick in the real draft, numbnuts. then he had to play the game of acting like he valued steve walsh without completely alienating troy while also driving up walsh’s trade value. jimmy has explained all of this, on record. he was a mad scientist with the roster, a psychologist, and a genius. 

So the cowboys gave up a first round draft pick for a guy they always intended to trade from day one? What a bunch of idiotic bullshit you are spewing. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

So the cowboys gave up a first round draft pick for a guy they always intended to trade from day one? What a bunch of idiotic bullshit you are spewing. 

it’s on record. go read about it if you care about the truth.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2016/12/05/why-troy-aikman-almost-requested-a-trade-from-the-cowboys/

Dallas ended up picking Steve Walsh, who had won a national championship with Johnson at Miami.

"It was really bizarre," Aikman said. "I didn't know what exactly that meant."

In the film, Johnson says he drafted Walsh with the hope of trading him. But he didn't want to downplay Walsh not being a starter because it would hurt his trade value. Aikman said Johnson not sticking by his side early on hurt their relationship.

jimmy has also been on the radio in dallas and told the full story with all the details. he wanted to trade walsh for multiple high draft picks, which he did.

you’re out of your depth here, jimmyjames. now kindly fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This is how I felt before the first game.  I know Card's got a big arm and loads of potential, but in general I don't think a guy who's proved himself in a big game should lose his job on the practice field very often.  I could've seen giving both guys playing time and saying they've both earned it, as was the plan, but shouldn't Casey have been starting the whole time?  Might we be 3-0 if he had?

Not sure coach, why didn’t you start him?

Kidding aside something in practice showed that card was better. We all read about it in august that card was better. Game time the coaches saw different. Vince was trash per coaches at one time. Remember that?

42 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Let’s start this off saying Thompson starts this weekend and probably the remainder of the season.

But I get a little annoyed with the bs.

The Oline was very functional. Many, many hats on hats. They played hard. Yes, there were some miscommunications, but I’m not certain some of the QB pressure wasn’t due to RB failings. And generally when one guy came free, all others were blocked. And they also kept playing. A good example was Roschon cut back in which Acho was hyping up Thompson leading the way. Angilau kept playing and blew up that would be tackler. Thompson did not block Jack and the guy he could have blocked made the tackle. That’s fine just don’t make it more than what it was. On Bijans 62 yard TD, Angilau annihilated his man. Occasionally, Rice had a guy on the box that we couldn’t account for. I suspect blame the lack blocking on that. Yeah, I think we just shoot for blocking man for man at this point. See Roschon long TD. I expect Bijan and Roschon to win many of those one on one battles.

Thompson made every play he needed to make. But there were really only about 4. Play calling was good. That TD to Wiley was all the play call. There are thousands of HS school QBs that can make that play. The Acho shimmie reference was pretty useless. The corner had already jumped to Bijan.

Looked as though everyone played hard so when one dude missed his block or tackle someone picked them up.

We may have beaten ArKansas with Thompson but play calling was better against lesser talent. And there were no major screwups like play 2 versus the pigs.

Just keep working. If we give that kind of effort, lots of good things will happen.

You said it yourself, Thompson made every play he needed to. That’s kinda it when a guy has it, that’s what he does, makes the plays he needs to. 

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2016/12/05/why-troy-aikman-almost-requested-a-trade-from-the-cowboys/

jimmy has also been on the radio in dallas and told the full story with all the details. he wanted to trade walsh for multiple high draft picks, which he did.

He’s telling a revisionist history story to try to explain away why he drafted a guy that cost the cowboys the number one overall draft pick the next year.  A guy he had previously coached. A story which you are now parroting. It was dumb then and is still dumb now. He got lucky that the saints were as dumb as he was and bailed him out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

He’s telling a revisionist history story to try to explain away why he drafted a guy that cost the cowboys the number one overall draft pick the next year.  A guy he had previously coached. A story which you are now parroting. It was dumb then and is still dumb now. He got lucky that the saints were as dumb as he was and bailed him out.

lulz. embarrassing. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Hope piggy didn't exhaust all their energy on us and still have plenty left in the tank. They just don't hate Aggy the way they hate us. 

They’re shit. They’ll finish no better than  5th in the west. Sark fucked up bad. Let’s hope he learned from it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It was dumb. But once upon a time Jimmy Johnson wanted Steve Walsh to start over Troy Aikman. These guys aren’t rocket scientists. What’s more Important is that they recognize when they made a mistake.

Steve Walsh won one game that first year.

Troy Aikman started more games and was able to win zero games that first year.

It was obvious that first year that Walsh was the better QB, but that Aikman had a canon for an arm and had that potential to be a good-to-great NFL QB… 

…if he could ever learn to read a defense and if he could stop staring at his primary receiver from the moment the ball was snapped.

In college football, due to recruiting, you need to win NOW! You can’t lose a bunch of games and get rewarded for it with better new talent for the next year like in the NFL.

Walsh gave Jimmy his first NFL win. He saved Jimmy from ever having a winless season. And, the Cowboys got more than just a single first round pick when they traded him.

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

Not sure coach, why didn’t you start him?

Kidding aside something in practice showed that card was better. We all read about it in august that card was better. Game time the coaches saw different. Vince was trash per coaches at one time. Remember that?

Agreed. Remember when Chance was better? Snead? The list goes on. There have been a million QBs who have more arm, throw a better ball, put the ball on the money more in practice. The only thing that matters is what you do when the lights are on. Clemson is going through the same thing we are, but it appears they don't have another option.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, futureman said:

Holy fucking owned 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Agreed. Remember when Chance was better? Snead? The list goes on. There have been a million QBs who have more arm, throw a better ball, put the ball on the money more in practice. The only thing that matters is what you do when the lights are on. Clemson is going through the same thing we are, but it appears they don't have another option.

This here. Some dudes click when the pressure is on. It’s amazing to see. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

I suspect the same

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Steve Walsh won one game that first year.

Troy Aikman started more games and was able to win zero games that first year.

It was obvious that first year that Walsh was the better QB, but that Aikman had a canon for an arm and had that potential to be a good-to-great NFL QB… 

…if he could ever learn to read a defense and if he could stop staring at his primary receiver from the moment the ball was snapped.

In college football, due to recruiting, you need to win NOW! You can’t lose a bunch of games and get rewarded for it with better new talent for the next year like in the NFL.

Walsh gave Jimmy his first NFL win. He saved Jimmy from ever having a winless season. And, the Cowboys got more than just a single first round pick when they traded him.

I think Steve had familiarity with Jimmy's offense, but I get why Aikman would be pissed.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"Since entering at halftime of the 2020 Valero Alamo Bowl, Casey Thompson has guided Texas to a score on 16 of the last 18 drives he has led, including 7 of 8 against Rice."

As amazing as this stat is, it is somehow even more impressive when you dive deeper.  Of the two non-scoring drives:

1) The first was three handoffs with a 20 point lead and 3 minutes left against Louisiana

2) The second was an INT where Casey was hit as he threw

Just unreal production.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Let’s start this off saying Thompson starts this weekend and probably the remainder of the season.

But I get a little annoyed with the bs.

The Oline was very functional. Many, many hats on hats. They played hard. Yes, there were some miscommunications, but I’m not certain some of the QB pressure wasn’t due to RB failings. And generally when one guy came free, all others were blocked. And they also kept playing. A good example was Roschon cut back in which Acho was hyping up Thompson leading the way. Angilau kept playing and blew up that would be tackler. Thompson did not block Jack and the guy he could have blocked made the tackle. That’s fine just don’t make it more than what it was. On Bijans 62 yard TD, Angilau annihilated his man. Occasionally, Rice had a guy on the box that we couldn’t account for. I suspect blame the lack blocking on that. Yeah, I think we just shoot for blocking man for man at this point. See Roschon long TD. I expect Bijan and Roschon to win many of those one on one battles.

Thompson made every play he needed to make. But there were really only about 4. Play calling was good. That TD to Wiley was all the play call. There are thousands of HS school QBs that can make that play. The Acho shimmie reference was pretty useless. The corner had already jumped to Bijan.

Looked as though everyone played hard so when one dude missed his block or tackle someone picked them up.

We may have beaten ArKansas with Thompson but play calling was better against lesser talent. And there were no major screwups like play 2 versus the pigs.

Just keep working. If we give that kind of effort, lots of good things will happen.

It is becoming completely irrational. Casey was a good manager vs Rice. Played Solid and had one pass he would like back. Overall a solid game, but one Casey might have had 4-5 passes that traveled 5 yards. Hope he is as good as people are projecting him to be, but the reaction to the Rice game is amazingly overblown. I am guessing it has something to do with 2 hours of verbal blow jobs from the LHN crew

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It was dumb. But once upon a time Jimmy Johnson wanted Steve Walsh to start over Troy Aikman. These guys aren’t rocket scientists. What’s more Important is that they recognize when they made a mistake.

You also have to think, that Sark came in here without knowing these kids, and the only thing he had to judge them on was a little action against Colorado. Then he had were practices. Sometimes you get a guy who just isn't as good in practice. And on the other side, you have a guy who IS. Who does everything right. Who doesn't need to see it a second time. It takes time out under the actual lights to figure it out sometimes, when it's as close of a battle as this one appears to have been. That's okay. Just so that it's figured out.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

From my Monday Morning La-Z-Boy, I think Sark did the logical and long-term decision in going with Card off the bat. He has to manage two alpha egos and get them to buy in to what he's trying to do. He had to base his decision on practice only. It was reportedly fairly even. The young gun has more apparent upside as seen in practice. You make the choice based on what you've seen, but also on what might happen. Hope for the best that your pick balls out and everything is gravy, but you also plan for the worst that he doesn't. The options would be  that:

1.  You roll with Casey, and he struggles as Card did, and you pull him for the kid in a fairly humiliating way during a game. The result would be that Casey is likely to be mentally done for the year and busy checking the portal. You can't go back to him without creating a 2 QB controversy that splits the fan base in Year One and tacitly admitting your evals maybe kinda suck.

OR

2.  You roll with Card, he struggles as he did, and you pull him for the more experienced veteran when it's obvious he's just not ready. It's easy to get Hudson and the fans to still buy-in with the explanation that he's got the elite skills, he just need more seasoning before running the show. Hudson feels no shame in allowing a veteran take the reins and watch/learn/play in a lower pressure situation (absent injury). Casey is balling out, the kid is watching the game slow down without worrying about being a GOAT/goat, and your QB room is calm going into the offseason with both guys fully believing that he's gonna take the job in the fall/spring.

Personally, I'd take scenario number 2 when running what ifs. Of course, I probably just spent 5 minutes exercising my sphincter vocal cords, but it's an early season kool-aid sip I'm willing to take.

• Hook 'Em 6

25 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You also have to think, that Sark came in here without knowing these kids, and the only thing he had to judge them on was a little action against Colorado. Then he had were practices. Sometimes you get a guy who just isn't as good in practice. And on the other side, you have a guy who IS. Who does everything right. Who doesn't need to see it a second time. It takes time out under the actual lights to figure it out sometimes, when it's as close of a battle as this one appears to have been. That's okay. Just so that it's figured out.

Maybe they only traveled 5 yards but they got our play makers in space. I mean hell Colt led the nation in completion percentage because he tossed 400 passes to Shipley 2 yards away and let him run with it.  Also it’s not just the rice game. Every game he’s played in he’s performed 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m not interested in rationalizing the QB1 decision. That’s all done. We should only revisit if TCU manages to humiliate us the way Arkansas did

Every end is just a beginning.

There is still a tremendous possibility for a QB controversy arising over the next few weeks. A QB controversy is a good thing to have during the off-season. It's poison to a team and fanbase when it occurs in-season.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

“oh it’s just a meaningless bowl game”

“oh it’s because Colorado didn’t prepare for him” 

“Oh it was garbage time so the defenses weren’t trying”

”oh it’s just rice”

Always seems to be an excuse to discount him 

All of this.

The worst criticism that can be lobbed at Casey at this point is that all he's done is perform perfectly in the situations he's supposed to.  Well, okay, but that's part of being a very good quarterback.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

“oh it’s just a meaningless bowl game”

“oh it’s because Colorado didn’t prepare for him” 

“Oh it was garbage time so the defenses weren’t trying”

”oh it’s just rice”

Always seems to be an excuse to discount him 

exactly what I am talking about. 18-15 for 168 with 2 TDs and 1 int. 2 of those are jet sweeps. Those are solid. Instead of talking about the numbers, you make an irrational response throwing up quotes that I never mentioned. I could have used Acho's "When was the last time you seen a QB block for a run" comment as an example. Like that was something Texas fans havent seen Sam do a dozen times. Maybe Casey turns out great, maybe he turns out to be average, I dont know. Just saying relax and lets see........................................

Edited by Codaxx
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

All I know is this:
When Casey Thompson willed himself in for the TD against 3-4 Arkansas defenders towards the end I thought “ok, that’s it. He should start.”

That energy and grit and determination will spill over to the rest of the team. All he does is get points.

My favorite play was when he didn't walk up to our center, who was blocking his guy fairly well, and allow his guy to step to the side and sack him.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

exactly what I am talking about. 18-15 for 168 with 2 TDs and 1 int. 2 of those are jet sweeps. Those are solid. Instead of talking about the numbers, you make an irrational response throwing up quotes that I never mentioned. I could have used Acho's "When was the last time you seen a QB block for a run" comment as an example. Like that was something Texas fans havent seen Sam do a dozen times. Maybe Casey turns out great, maybe he turns out to be average, I dont know. Just saying relax and lets see........................................

He completed 3 more pass than he threw? What a god. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Because passing numbers are largely irrelevant in a game where we rushed for 400+ yards. You need to find efficiency and moving the sticks. Which Casey did. 

Thompson had 9.1 yards per completion which is good  so who gives a shit if it’s thrown 1 yard or 5 yard as that doesn’t matter.

He only had 2 carries for 7 yards which shows he’s just not taking off especially since Rice recorded no sacks  

We were 7/10 on 3rd down and 2/3 on 4th which the only time we didn’t conver the 4th was late in the game with Gabe Watson at RB  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

From my Monday Morning La-Z-Boy, I think Sark did the logical and long-term decision in going with Card off the bat. He has to manage two alpha egos and get them to buy in to what he's trying to do. He had to base his decision on practice only. It was reportedly fairly even. The young gun has more apparent upside as seen in practice. You make the choice based on what you've seen, but also on what might happen. Hope for the best that your pick balls out and everything is gravy, but you also plan for the worst that he doesn't. The options would be  that:

1.  You roll with Casey, and he struggles as Card did, and you pull him for the kid in a fairly humiliating way during a game. The result would be that Casey is likely to be mentally done for the year and busy checking the portal. You can't go back to him without creating a 2 QB controversy that splits the fan base in Year One and tacitly admitting your evals maybe kinda suck.

OR

2.  You roll with Card, he struggles as he did, and you pull him for the more experienced veteran when it's obvious he's just not ready. It's easy to get Hudson and the fans to still buy-in with the explanation that he's got the elite skills, he just need more seasoning before running the show. Hudson feels no shame in allowing a veteran take the reins and watch/learn/play in a lower pressure situation (absent injury). Casey is balling out, the kid is watching the game slow down without worrying about being a GOAT/goat, and your QB room is calm going into the offseason with both guys fully believing that he's gonna take the job in the fall/spring.

Personally, I'd take scenario number 2 when running what ifs. Of course, I probably just spent 5 minutes exercising my sphincter vocal cords, but it's an early season kool-aid sip I'm willing to take.

I don't know that Card has an alpha ego. I think if Sark said hey we are going with the veteran this year but we will get you reps and you are are long term plan he would have been fine. Casey is the one that would transfer and I wouldn't blame him for that. 

Because passing numbers are largely irrelevant in a game where we rushed for 400+ yards. You need to find efficiency and moving the sticks. Which Casey did. 

Thompson had 9.1 yards per completion which is good  so who gives a shit if it’s thrown 1 yard or 5 yard as that doesn’t matter.

He only had 2 carries for 7 yards which shows he’s just not taking off especially since Rice recorded no sacks  

We were 7/10 on 3rd down and 2/3 on 4th which the only time we didn’t conver the 4th was late in the game with Gabe Watson at RB  

Though I pretty sure if you asked Casey and Sark, they both would admit they would have liked it to be 1 sack

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

For the sake of clarification, which qb intangibles are you referring to?

Just guessing but poised in the pocket, knows when to tuck it and run and check down, keeps his cool, doesn’t get rattled(so far) and is more aggressive than Card fitting the ball into a window(as of right now)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Though I pretty sure if you asked Casey and Sark, they both would admit they would have liked it to be 1 sack

If our offensive line holds up that’s an easy 6 point touchdown as the receiver had 2-3 steps on the defender with no one else back. That was no fault of the QB. 

If our offensive line holds up that’s an easy 6 point touchdown as the receiver had 2-3 steps on the defender with no one else back. That was no fault of the QB. 

He double clutches on the throw. Probably gets it off he just let it go immediately, but he didnt. At that point you have to eat the ball. Nobody is saying it was a clean pocket, but sometimes taking the sack is the right thing to do. He tried to make a play and didnt work out. Something he will probably learn from. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m not interested in rationalizing the QB1 decision. That’s all done. We should only revisit if TCU manages to humiliate us the way Arkansas did

It will be very interesting to see how long Sark will stick with Thompson should our offense struggle against them, as it may well might considering the limitations of the line.