Casey Thompson

Tex Long

Casey looked okay in the Spring Game, I thought. There were a few bad throws, but most of his decisions were good, and he handled the ground-ball snaps from Ghirmai pretty damned well. 

He didn't wow anyone, but he did score the only TD (twice, I thought - pretty sure the first one would have been a TD "upon further review"). He's definitely fast, and in full-game mode, with even more RPO action, I think he'll be a capable game manager. I hope we can score enough in the opener to get him some PT with the 1's. The more he does, the more EdO will have to think about for the following week. 

All in all, I feel better about him as QB2 than I've felt about his predecessors for the last ten or so years.

38 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Always was a Team Casey fan over Team Rising. Inevitably, if he sees game time and makes a bad play, the What If scenarios are going to come out. 

I would not at all have minded Rising becoming "the guy" but I, too, felt like Casey was the more likely contributor. His passing just never seemed as far off to me as it would take for his superior quicks to not justify putting him in. (That sentence should probably be taken out and shot, but what the hell.) Casey just goes from slide-to-stride quicker when escaping from the pocket, and that's the thing that makes a DT QB dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I hope Casey learns a lot, and takes over in two years when a healthy Sam graduates. 

Ro Jo looks way bigger out there. Once he gets the offense down and improved passing he's going to be the guy, unless we recruit another stud that is better.

roschon_johnson.0.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would not at all have minded Rising becoming "the guy" but I, too, felt like Casey was the more likely contributor. His passing just never seemed as far off to me as it would take for his superior quicks to not justify putting him in. (That sentence should probably be taken out and shot, but what the hell.) Casey just goes from slide-to-stride quicker when escaping from the pocket, and that's the thing that makes a DT QB dangerous.

My thoughts, too - passing not all that bad, running faster, more explosive than Sam... not gonna run over anyone, but may not have to. 

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Ro Jo looks way bigger out there. Once he gets the offense down and improved passing he's going to be the guy, unless we recruit another stud that is better.

roschon_johnson.0.jpg

Tyrone Swoopes was bigger than JT Barrett. 

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Tyrone Swoopes was bigger than JT Barrett. 

JT Barrett's passing was way better than what I've seen from Casey Thompson. Maybe I just haven't watched Casey enough though. Hopefully I only get to watch him in garbage time this year.

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

JT Barrett's passing was way better than what I've seen from Casey Thompson. Maybe I just haven't watched Casey enough though. Hopefully I only get to watch him in garbage time this year.

Okay, but we're not actually comparing JT Barrett and Casey Thompson. We're comparing Casey Thompson and Roschon Johnson, whom you said would be the starter with improved passing and knowledge of the offense because he's the bigger guy. I predict all 3 of them get playing time on the road to the national championship next year. 

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He was sharper last year in the spring game than this one, mostly due to wind. I don't expect him to take over a game with his arm, but I have no doubts he can run the offense. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Okay, but we're not actually comparing JT Barrett and Casey Thompson. We're comparing Casey Thompson and Roschon Johnson, whom you said would be the starter with improved passing and knowledge of the offense because he's the bigger guy. I predict all 3 of them get playing time on the road to the national championship next year. 

You brought up JT Barrett and Swoops, not me.

Obviously it's not just because he's the bigger guy, his performance in the HS all-star game and everything I've seen so far from the guy. He's the guy.  Just my opinion though, he passes the eye test. Casey looks quick and fast out there, but gets happy feet and doesn't sling the rock. Maybe he can't see over the offensive line. Maybe it was the wind. 

Edit: I don't think we've got the talent to get to the natty without Sam. Maybe the backups could hold against most of the big 12, but not the top couple of teams. 

Edited by Zavala

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Jevan Sneed, John Chiles, Garret Gilbert, Connor Wood, David Ash, Connor Brewer, Jerrod Heard, Shane Buechele, Casey Thompson, Ro Jo looks way bigger out there. Once he gets the offense down and improved passing he's going to be the guy, unless we recruit another stud that is better.

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

45 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Point of order. Can we ban anyone who uses “natty”?

oops I meant the College Football Playoff Championship (TM)

edit: I think it's commonly referred to as the Alabama invitational as well.

Edited by Zavala
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eggo said:

<Sam Kinison>Good answer.  I like the way you think.  I’m gonna be watching you!</Sam Kinison>

It’s good to have QB’s again!

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

DhyVRZxVQAA7wCs.jpg

This kid will be Kyle Allen Part II. He'll be a 5 star, then struggle mightily in college when he faces actual good competition. I bet he transfers at least once in his college career, maybe twice. Will still end up on an NFL roster at some point despite lacking the college stats to back it up. He's overrated just like his brother was. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, Zavala said:

On 4/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, markstanco said:

DhyVRZxVQAA7wCs.jpg

0Hy6Cp.gif

On 4/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, Helobious said:

This kid will be Kyle Allen Part II. He'll be a 5 star, then struggle mightily in college when he faces actual good competition. I bet he transfers at least once in his college career, maybe twice. Will still end up on an NFL roster at some point despite lacking the college stats to back it up. He's overrated just like his brother was. 

you’ve been reading my mail.  except kyle allen is far too generous a comparison.  stone will be a three-star when he signs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...