Casey Thompson

Tex Long

What if I told you Colt McCoy’s best play in the 2009 OU game was a tackle off his interception and that in Vince Young’s 4th career start he could barely complete a forward pass?

Then I’d ask “was Greg Davis his OC?”

What if I told you you only score 48 points in the Cotton Bowl in the last four years, you’ve only scored enough to win once?

So what’s your point? Quarterbacking is hard and imperfect? No doubt. Those throws to Worthy across the field are not easy at all. The throw to Washington was not easy.

Just now, Texas Flood said:

What was that intel you had about ou that would help us?

I wouldn’t call it intel but reading all the tea leaves it was a very strong gut feeling that Casey was very motivated and was gonna come into the Cotton Bowl and ball which he did. Had the same about Vince before the national title Rose Bowl.

Despite some help from the refs and plain bad luck our defense totally let us down and I can’t fathom how anyone can argue otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I’m not complaining about Casey here. 5 TDs and no INTS? Please…give me that every fucking RRS. Could Casey have used his legs more? Yes! I wish he would have cause they can be dangerous. But not everything is going to be perfect or lucky like ousux had. And we certainly don’t have the WR talent that ou has. 

I didn’t really like the screen calls, and I would have preferred some K Rob touches. But the hope here is that a lot is learned and Casey is coached up to understand situational awareness more. I get he’s been at Texas a few years, but this is only his 3rd start? And his playing time is almost freshman level. We’ve been so shitty during his time at Texas that the only meaningful time he’s played was last years bowl game prior to this year.

I am not certain there is much disparity in the receiving corps. They play Stoops. We underutilize Whittington. They never covered Worthy much. Moore was pretty successful in his opportunities yesterday too. Mims is awesome. Otherwise nothing special. Think about our long throws versus theirs. In theory we had them covered every time save the double pass. Moore and Worthy were way open every time.

Second paragraph I’m there with you.

Is this Hudson Card's burner?  If your analysis of Casey is this long, I'd love to see your book about our D.  Quarterbacks aren't robots, sans robots like Burrow.  They miss throws, especially when an O line lets the defense by the second the ball is snapped.  Can you share your thoughts on Karic or the 20 or so real issues that are more pressing than Casey?

Nope. Just want to win. There wasn’t a single incorrect statement I made. I’d rather have0 yards of offense and win than lose to those punks.

I contend the trashing of the Oline is overblown and partially full of shit. Absolutely they blow way too many assignments and leave free rushers. But they also do a damn good job quite often too. All those deep throws? Pretty clean pockets. I’ve also Bijan do a crappy job in pass pro but that doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s the best player in the country.

And probably our most pressing issue cannot be addressed mid-season. And an injury to jacoby Jones ties into part of that issue.

49 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I am not certain there is much disparity in the receiving corps. They play Stoops. We underutilize Whittington. They never covered Worthy much. Moore was pretty successful in his opportunities yesterday too. Mims is awesome. Otherwise nothing special. Think about our long throws versus theirs. In theory we had them covered every time save the double pass. Moore and Worthy were way open every time.

Second paragraph I’m there with you.

Yeah that’s fair. Tho Stoops was able to block Foster easily so maybe they got us in the blocking department haha

Edited by taybo20

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I rewatched the first half. Really he missed two deep balls before the half. If he keeps Worthy upright on the first, it’s a TD then the overthrow on the same play in which we scored to tie it at 48. And it’s mostly on Sarkisian but Casey did not manage the clock well at the end of the first half.

When our offense was sucking in the 3rd, he missed the throw on 3rd and long. He probably could have run for the first. And the receivers were going to be open, but the timing was out of whack. We need him to convert, and he should have.

I’m not sure what the progressions are, but throwing into double coverage to Bijan was 100% locking in on him pre-snap. The throw before was a lower percentage throw. Both of those down 7 in scoring position.

He also just missed Washington when the toe was out of bounds. That was on Casey. That’s not a real percentage throw and so close to being perfect.

The OLINE gets a lot of grief, and they still whiff on way too many plays. But on those plays mentioned above and our scoring plays, they did a really good job.

And just to argue, I’d say he didn’t play well enough or we would have won. That’s not to say he didn’t play well. It was so close one play at a critical time May have done it. From any number of different sources.

image.gif.19ad0ddfcce4f8ca926270ed2634cdf2.gif

Yeah that’s fair. Tho Stoops was able to block Foster easily so maybe they got us in the blocking department haha

Yeah and that little punk had a huge TD against us last year.

Let’s keep an eye on Washington. He’s been playing hard. He went up and got that ball yesterday, which is the best he’s done that I recall.

My original point was basically that it’s a team game. We didn’t lose to OU necessarily because they’re more talented. And we didn’t lose because of one unit. OU was incredibly lucky but at the same time made some incredible catches/plays. I’ve never seen a game in which one team fought off momentum changes and were so very close to not. The catches, the non-fumble, the almost stop on 4th and 1. No penalties. Mims not out of bounds. Washington not in bounds.

Yeah, the Oline blew it multiple times, but they sure as hell weren’t worse than two years ago. Or in 2004. Or those buttkickings in the early 2000s.

Yes, the defense gave up a lot. But they created two turnovers, almost had a 3rd. OU had 16 possessions which is quite a bit. And three of those possessions were extended on long 3rd down conversions which were well defended. And only 1 OU penalty that put them behind the chains. And one officiating error that allowed one of those to extend.

We had 4 three and outs on offense and another 4 down drive with no points. We had 3 other possessions of 3 or fewer plays resulting in points. We only had 15 possessions. We ended the 1st half with it being first down at their 20 after killing more than 30 seconds off the clock. Our 2nd half strategy was to give them plenty of time to get in field goal range. We chose to not kick the field goal from the 20 in favor of 4th and 11 with plenty of time left and needing 8 points to win. All of this impacted the final outcome. I’m not usually a time of possession guy but 36:24 doesn’t help the defense. 81 plays to 61 plays is a function of that.

Everbuddy contributed in some way to the loss.

Sorry Casey for the tangent in your thread.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Then why did we lose? I said he played well. Really you should evaluate your thought. Don’t believe I said it was his fault. He played well enough for us to win. Probably should have won. We lost. So literally he didn’t play well enough to win.

There were many, many plays that if they turn out differently, it could have changed the outcome. All I did was point out a few plays involving him that didn’t work out.

Three of our first four possessions in the second half were 3 and outs. Then we had a fumble on the kickoff. It doesn’t excuse the defense, but offense and special teams were not good in the second half.

Except in your initial post you said he didn’t play well enough for us to win.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Then why did we lose? I said he played well. Really you should evaluate your thought. Don’t believe I said it was his fault. He played well enough for us to win. Probably should have won. We lost. So literally he didn’t play well enough to win.

There were many, many plays that if they turn out differently, it could have changed the outcome. All I did was point out a few plays involving him that didn’t work out.

Three of our first four possessions in the second half were 3 and outs. Then we had a fumble on the kickoff. It doesn’t excuse the defense, but offense and special teams were not good in the second half.

Just stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lolwut 
2018: 48 wins (OU scored 45)
2019: 48 wins (OU scored 34)
2020: 48 wins (OU scored 31 in regulation)

I didn’t say for us to win. I get why you inferred that though.

In 2018, OU needed 49 to win. They didn’t get it and lost.

Yes 2019 was low scoring.

2020 I didn’t say regulation. We needed more than 53. 49 wouldn’t have won it.

2021. We scored 48 and lost.

So 3 out of 4 years the loser needed to score 49 to become the winner. Yes, the OT is not comparable, but it’s a factual statement. But I’d also guess we’re at a time when scoring is coming in at historical highs.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I didn’t say for us to win. I get why you inferred that though.

In 2018, OU needed 49 to win. They didn’t get it and lost.

Yes 2019 was low scoring.

2020 I didn’t say regulation. We needed more than 53. 49 wouldn’t have won it.

2021. We scored 48 and lost.

So 3 out of 4 years the loser needed to score 49 to become the winner. Yes, the OT is not comparable, but it’s a factual statement. But I’d also guess we’re at a time when scoring is coming in at historical highs.

That’s all semantics. 48 points is enough if you have a defense with a pulse. We gave up 670 yards evenly split between run and pass. We couldn’t take away ANYTHING from OU. We got gashed on several 30+ yard run plays and gave up arm punts to a freshman quarterback. He likes to drop snaps and we made him pay ZERO times for that. We’re the second worst defensive team in the Big12, next to fucking Kansas. Our offense isn’t perfect, but there is a massive disparity between the two units and it’s glaringly obvious which one is by far more responsible for losing the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just stop.

You got me. Should have been a question mark.

I’ll stop with facts and accurate statements.

I get what you assholes are saying and know that sentiment did not originate here. Sometimes dudes play well and lose. But if you lose, you simply did not do enough to overcome whatever shortcomings exist. Those may not be your shortcomings even.

But I’m also not on board saying Worthy was a loser last week even though his team won.

Mostly, I’m still pissed about losing. I’ll talk about individual plays and the impact on the game, but I won’t blame any one particular player or group like some of you jackasses.
  • Fuck You 4

That’s all semantics. 48 points is enough if you have a defense with a pulse. We gave up 670 yards evenly split between run and pass. We couldn’t take away ANYTHING from OU. We got gashed on several 30+ yard run plays and gave up arm punts to a freshman quarterback. He likes to drop snaps and we made him pay ZERO times for that. We’re the second worst defensive team in the Big12, next to fucking Kansas. Our offense isn’t perfect, but there is a massive disparity between the two units and it’s glaringly obvious which one is by far more responsible for losing the game.

It’s not semantics. It’s a fact. In 3 of 4 games, scoring 48 would not have won the game based on the winning teams score. Yeah, we can talk semantics when we won by 48. Point is that points are being put on the board.

And in no way do I find 48 points or that many yards satisfactory. But context needs to be considered.
The refs called a straight up offensive game. Riley’s offense is more difficult to handle than Grinch’s defense. OU has historically put more into the offensive side than the defensive side.

And you are right we didn’t take away the run or pass. We lost a key part to our dline early. If we had one all American and an all conference type upfront, I think we’d be in pretty good shape. But we don’t. It’s not changing this year. Our safeties need to make more tackles.

In spite of it all, I hope the defense figures it out.

I'm honestly surprised Casey is even still able to walk after his line fucked him over the entire game. He probably got it in his head that he's gonna have to will this team to victory, and it unfortunately failed (not his fault). Our defense also fucked him. It's astounding at how shitty of players we have on both sides of the line. Astonishing, really. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I rewatched the first half. Really he missed two deep balls before the half. If he keeps Worthy upright on the first, it’s a TD then the overthrow on the same play in which we scored to tie it at 48. And it’s mostly on Sarkisian but Casey did not manage the clock well at the end of the first half.

When our offense was sucking in the 3rd, he missed the throw on 3rd and long. He probably could have run for the first. And the receivers were going to be open, but the timing was out of whack. We need him to convert, and he should have.

I’m not sure what the progressions are, but throwing into double coverage to Bijan was 100% locking in on him pre-snap. The throw before was a lower percentage throw. Both of those down 7 in scoring position.

He also just missed Washington when the toe was out of bounds. That was on Casey. That’s not a real percentage throw and so close to being perfect.

The OLINE gets a lot of grief, and they still whiff on way too many plays. But on those plays mentioned above and our scoring plays, they did a really good job.

And just to argue, I’d say he didn’t play well enough or we would have won. That’s not to say he didn’t play well. It was so close one play at a critical time May have done it. From any number of different sources.
If almost 400 yards and 5 td's isnt playing well I hope Casey plays even worse this Saturday. Sure he missed some deep balls, but also connected on some at critical times. Is he the best QB to ever step foot on the 40? Nope, but when all is said and done he could be in the same coversation as the greats..
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

7CCC.gif

200w.gif

• Haha 1

So apparently we lost because Casey Thompson failed to play a perfect game. Damnit Casey! 
He outplayed the pre-season Heisman favorite, joined a small list of RRS QB's who have thrown 4 or more first half TD's in this games 117 year history...had almost 400 yards and 5 TD's total in only his 3rd start...yet to some mental midgets here he sucks and lost the game for us. (Yes, I know you arent one, just adding to your post)

Wow..just wow
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Nope. Nothing I said was inaccurate you Romo loving son of a bitch.

And If Casey were an AI QB Robot, he'd never miss a throw!  We're talking about a guy who threw for 5 TDs and ~400 yards.  Not even Tom Brady is perfect and hits every throw and he's got more to work behind in the O line than our guy.  Casey grades out as an "A" for the RRS.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm honestly surprised Casey is even still able to walk after his line fucked him over the entire game. He probably got it in his head that he's gonna have to will this team to victory, and it unfortunately failed (not his fault). Our defense also fucked him. It's astounding at how shitty of players we have on both sides of the line. Astonishing, really. 

Come on Spider this is dumbassery. 5 rushing attempts, 3 of which were sacks. 7 total QB hurries. That’s not that many hits. At all. Shit Sam took 4 hits in one goal line possession versus Georgia. Casey had several plays with no time which are no doubt inexcusable. But those throws to Worthy across the field require a ton of time.

I believe Patty Mahomes was pressured 50% of his passes in last years Super Bowl. That’s what terrible is.

Casey may have it in his head to will our team to victory, but we led by double digits for 45 minutes of the game so that’d be an odd thought.
  • Like 1

And If Casey were an AI QB Robot, he'd never miss a throw!  We're talking about a guy who threw for 5 TDs and ~400 yards.  Not even Tom Brady is perfect and hits every throw and he's got more to work behind in the O line than our guy.  Casey grades out as an "A" for the RRS.

He may have truly earned an “A.” Maybe an A-. And we probably had several dudes fail miserably. It wouldn’t surprise if he graded out better than anyone.

But Looks like PFF graded him at B-, 2nd highest next to Worthy. They don’t give out many As though.

I don’t really care about the stats. Except that I have $10 on him to win the Heisman at pretty good odds. So maybe if we can win out and he lights it up, he can get in the race.

29 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Come on Spider this is dumbassery. 5 rushing attempts, 3 of which were sacks. 7 total QB hurries. That’s not that many hits. At all. Shit Sam took 4 hits in one goal line possession versus Georgia. Casey had several plays with no time which are no doubt inexcusable. But those throws to Worthy across the field require a ton of time.

I believe Patty Mahomes was pressured 50% of his passes in last years Super Bowl. That’s what terrible is.

Casey may have it in his head to will our team to victory, but we led by double digits for 45 minutes of the game so that’d be an odd thought.

It was clearly mostly hyperbole, but he was pressured a shit ton. I lay this blame soley on the defense refusing to adjust to the run and shitty players in the game. But Casey needs to chill on his deep hero ball, he's not ready for that with our line "protecting" him.  How many times did we hear Bonitto's name mentioned? Too God damned many. Dude was killing the outside and getting all kinds of pressure on Casey. He did/does need to learn to run more, that shit was confusing. I realize he's limited athletically, but it's not like ou has been great on defense. It is what it is, tho. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Just hope he learns by 11 am on Saturday. Okie Lite's defense isn't garbage. 

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

What kind of backwards ass convoluted logic is this? If Texas scores 48 points in regulation, they've scored enough to win every game going back to 2013. The only exception being yesterday's game.

Playing a perfect game doesn't exist in college football. There will always be missed throws, missed catches, missed tackles, etc. - even by the best of them. As fans, we can bitch and moan about those misses but if you're being real or played sports in your life, you know those things are inevitable when you're playing against a superior opponent. Objectively speaking Casey played a very good game. He is coming along just fine given that it's only his 4th game. He has connected on some deep throws that he wouldn't have in previous games. He was definitely not the reason we lost. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

With a big lead, run the ball (with the best back in the country), eat clock, win game.  This is on the corch.
With Bijan not being able to take 2 steps before meeting the D-line or LB's living in the Texas backfield? Bold strategy..but I'm sure if we had kept it up Bijan would eventually spin and slither to the next level..where he would be met by a swarm of DB's while our on-line is still picking themselves up off the turf.
  • Hook 'Em 3