Casey Thompson

Tex Long

That looked like what they tried to do, but they kept losing yards on 1st.

Yep. It’s part of why we struggled versus Arkansas. Forced Bijan on early downs. They were giving some quick hitters to our wideouts that we didn’t take. Win first down in the 2nd half and the outcome is different.

First two plays of 2nd half. Worthy had a 7-8 yard cushion. Two runs. Figure out how to take that gimme. 2nd and 5 is way different than 2nd and 12.

18 hours ago, ousux said:
18 hours ago, Pokoloco said:
With a big lead, run the ball (with the best back in the country), eat clock, win game.  This is on the corch.

With Bijan not being able to take 2 steps before meeting the D-line or LB's living in the Texas backfield? Bold strategy..but I'm sure if we had kept it up Bijan would eventually spin and slither to the next level..where he would be met by a swarm of DB's while our on-line is still picking themselves up off the turf.

and was there a 2-back set run there at all?

where was Roschon to block or rush? 

This dude has to be one of the most under rated. Under the rarer best QBs we’ve had in the team in a decade plus. He’s quietly just wrecking shop without all the hype and certainly the most criticism.  He’s not flashy but well above a game manager and just below NFL.  Very efficient and continues to be under the radar 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: It's Casey Thompson's time

Bijan Robinson was already a marked man. After Saturday, Xavier Worthy is one, too. Opponents are going to try to take away – or minimize – those two players as much as they possibly can because it’s obvious just how much damage those two can exact on a defense. That means other players are going to have to step up. Perhaps Josh Moore or Kelvontay Dixon at receiver in the absence of Jordan Whittington, or perhaps inserting Keilan Robinson more frequently to give the Horns another speed option to counter-balance Worthy’s.

But, most importantly, it means that Casey Thompson is going to have to maintain his relatively high level of play. Thompson will be the key when teams try to take away Robinson and Worthy. Can he keep hitting the deep ball like he did to Moore against OU? Can he stay away from poor turnovers? Can he keep moving the chains with Whittington out and Robinson and Worthy accounted for?

Given just how good Robinson and now Worthy have played, there is little doubt that defenses are going to try to force Thompson into winning games. Opponents are going to gamble a little bit, and they’re going to bet against Thompson. The formula for Thompson, though, is simple. Keep distributing the ball. Keep taking what the defense gives you. Keep moving the chains. Stay stingy with turnovers. Do not get rattled and lose focus of your job.

To this point, Thompson has proven himself more than capable. But he still has more work ahead of him if the Horns want to win Saturday and march toward a Big 12 championship rematch with the Sooners. Let’s see what Oklahoma State dials up on Saturday and if Thompson proves capable of overcoming what is surely to be a defense designed to stop Bijan and keep Worthy in front of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: It's Casey Thompson's time -- "That means other players are going to have to step up. Perhaps Josh Moore or Kelvontay Dixon at receiver in the absence of Jordan Whittington, or perhaps inserting Keilan Robinson more frequently to give the Horns another speed option to counter-balance Worthy’s."0

Kinda sad Burton left out Washington who is starting... Dude has been ballin' on some of his blocks !!!

Really hoping to see Marcus have a great receiving game too, and that he protects the ball after catches...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This dude has to be one of the most under rated. Under the rarer best QBs we’ve had in the team in a decade plus. He’s quietly just wrecking shop without all the hype and certainly the most criticism.  He’s not flashy but well above a game manager and just below NFL.  Very efficient and continues to be under the radar 

Quietly wrecking shop is the best way to put it. He lets his actions and game play speak for themselves. Doesn’t have to talk a big game. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, immamac said:

What radar is that? The national medias radar? Yeah he plays for a team that has no shot at the playoff and is in year 1 of a new regime. 

He's well on his way to Sam Ehlinger thread page numbers at this point though. People here are not unaware. 

I feel like he's playing better than Sam did right now, but he also has a much better play caller behind him too.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 8:47 AM, LTtxfan said:

Kinda sad Burton left out Washington who is starting... Dude has been ballin' on some of his blocks !!!

Really hoping to see Marcus have a great receiving game too, and that he protects the ball after catches...

Problem is, he’s still running poor routes and dropping the ball. It’s nice to see his blocking and effort but he needs to clean up the critical parts of being a WR. 

24 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Sarks going to have to pull some strings but I’m confident he’ll get it done

Lol wut. How is he going to have to pull strings to get Casey to come back. He’s small with a meh arm. The NFL is not going to come calling after this year. 

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

I'm kinda out of the loop - can Casey come back next year?

He has two years left he could potentially play, but my understanding the QB Draft pool is low so my expectations with a decent year is he's probably gone 

There is talks of Rattler shutting it down and going pro, and lets be real Casey is the better QB 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Haha 1

He has two years left he could potentially play, but my understanding the QB Draft pool is low so my expectations with a decent year is he's probably gone 

There is talks of Rattler shutting it down and going pro, and lets be real Casey is the better QB 

Casey is a better college player but a less intriguing pro prospect as Rattler. Casey must improve downfield accuracy and decision-making. He also has very little experience. If he leaves after this year he wont get drafted and will have a cup of coffee at one or two pro camps before getting cut.

He can make more money coming back.

20 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

He can make more money coming back.

This is my assumption, as well.

I'd really like to see RocketArm Card get game snaps with the 1's, just to see if the experience works for him. Not sure it makes a shit who QBs the team if the OL doesn't start blocking the right people more often than not.

Sarks going to have to pull some strings but I’m confident he’ll get it done
With a Jr Bijan, Soph X and hopefully some portal help at o-line...shouldnt be too difficult. Question is: does Card bide his time like Casey did? I doubt it...portal a backup QB as well.