Casey Thompson

Tex Long

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hope this isnt a big loss. He had arguably the 2nd best season by a UT QB in the past 12 years. Id stay and try to beat out Ewers, but thats just me

Didn't sound like he wanted to compete for it.  Think he was in the driver's seat.

But then he's only got one more year, so he wants to be sure to play.

Joe Cook: What does Casey Thompson's transfer mean for the Longhorns?

Texas quarterback Casey Thompson, who started 10 of the last 12 games of the 2021 season for the Longhorns, entered his name in the transfer portal on Friday afternoon. It’s Thompson’s second entrance in the portal during his time at Texas, but unlike in 2018, he is unlikely to withdraw his application and return to Texas. This news comes just days after the Longhorns officially added Ohio State transfer and On3’s No. 1 overall player in the 2021 class Quinn Ewers to the quarterback room.

In addition, Texas added 2022 quarterback Maalik Murphy to the room, which would have made the Longhorns’ scholarship quarterback number five entering spring ball. Someone was bound to leave, as quarterbacks almost more than any other position seek near-guaranteed playing time. Texas players like Xavier Worthy openly campaigning for Ewers to join the Longhorns likely didn’t encourage Thompson to stay.

Thompson wasn’t named starter at the beginning of the season after waiting behind Sam Ehlinger for three years. Those responsibilities went to Hudson Card. Steve Sarkisian made a switch after the Arkansas game, promoting Thompson to QB1. He performed well, but a thumb injury suffered against Oklahoma severely hampered his ability to take a firm hold of the position in 2021. He leaves with two years to play remaining, with one a result of the eligibility relief provided by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What does this mean for the Longhorn quarterback room? Sarkisian said Wednesday during his signing day press conference that the starting job would be open entering the offseason. Thompson’s departure paves the way for Ewers and Card to compete for the job beginning with spring practices. Though Charles Wright, Ben Ballard, Maalik Murphy, and Cole Lourd are on the roster, they don’t carry the passing pedigree Card and Ewers both possess.

But that six-man group has 10 college football appearances combined, and only Card has played in games that were not blowouts. At this juncture, Inside Texas does not expect Card to enter the portal. Card may be the de facto first-string quarterback whenever spring practice begins, but Ewers and company will strive to unseat him from that spot.

Does Sarkisian try to add another player to his quarterback room? There are some Power 5 level players available, including Bo Nix, Zach Calzada, and Kedon Slovis among others. But like Thompson, those are former Power 5 starters who left their previous destinations mainly in a search for more playing time. A Power 5 transfer joining a crowded room is unlikely, especially with someone like Ewers already present.

Maybe Sarkisian finds a player who is content with playing time being just a possibility at a place like Texas. An analog that comes to mind is Mike Collins at TCU, who began his career at Penn before transferring, earning playing time and starting several games for the Horned Frogs. That may be more likely to come in the form of a graduate transfer who would want to utilize football in order to further his education.

At this time, Inside Texas is not aware of a player who would fit that description. What is certain is that Texas will enter 2022 without its most experienced quarterback. For a second straight year, the starter will come from an open competition likely between two players. Thompson waited behind Ehlinger for three years, finally earning his snaps in 2021. But instead of remaining at Texas for a second competition, he will search for a new destination where playing time is almost assured.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I love the guy. He patiently worked, bided his time then took the starter's role. The year would have been much worse without him.

There should be a program where he can take the lead. I hope so. 

I don't get the vindictiveness against a player like Casey. He can only control how he conducts himself and how hard he works. As far as I can tell, he's aces in all of that.

No vindictiveness towards him. I'm glad we got what we got from him, and wonder what might've been without the thumb injury.

His Dad, on the other hand, will not be missed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't get the vindictiveness against a player like Casey. He can only control how he conducts himself and how hard he works. As far as I can tell, he's aces in all of that.

This might help yah... Nahlin (IT) final fyi on Casey Thompson

If you know what the prevailing narrative is, I’m telling you it’s the opposite.

He was not known to study an inordinate amount.

He was not known to be a great leader.

He was not wildly popular on the team. He was known to be arrogant.

We would have tweets from hyperventilating media sent to us from sources with crying-laughing emojis because their schtick was so ridiculous.

He also threatened to leave at the beginning of the year which is why Sark changed his long held approach of playing one QB.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I love the guy. He patiently worked, bided his time then took the starter's role. The year would have been much worse without him.

I don't get the vindictiveness against a player like Casey. He can only control how he conducts himself and how hard he works. As far as I can tell, he's aces in all of that.

you think this team is "much worse" without him? This team lost to fucking Kansas at home dude. What exactly are you smoking? This was as bad as it could have possibly been.

UL - Win against a sunbelt team

Rice - Win against smart kids from good homes

Tech - Win against team who fired their coach

TCU - Win against team who fired their coach

KState - Win because Rojo pulled a Sam. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

you think this team is "much worse" without him? This team lost to fucking Kansas at home dude. What exactly are you smoking? This was as bad as it could have possibly been.

UL - Win against a sunbelt team

Rice - Win against smart kids from good homes

Tech - Win against team who fired their coach

TCU - Win against team who fired their coach

KState - Win because Rojo pulled a Sam. 

HEY, we beat 3 bowl teams!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's pretty telling that he doesn't even think he can get better, so what does he do? Bolts. He's mentally weak and doesn't want to have to work for the job. Later, dude. Thanks for Colorado, I guess?

That’s your take?

It was clear that healthy Casey > Card. But the inexperienced, highly rated, fan favorite freshman got the start.

Now we have Ewers. Can’t blame Casey for not wanting to ride that carousel again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

He threatened to leave when his job was questioned. Now he quit because we brought in a qb and he didn't want to compete. 

I think it’s clear there were leadership questions. You don’t have to be the de facto leader at QB, but you damn sure gotta work hard, watch film, fix your own mistakes and get better as the season goes. And you kinda gotta hold guys accountable to that as well. I know Casey had a bum hand, but there were opportunities to take on that role and it seems he never did.

in regards to the amount of TDs he had… just imagine a guy that works tirelessly and how many TDs he will have. The future is bright with a better QB, no doubt 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I think it’s clear there were leadership questions. You don’t have to be the de facto leader at QB, but you damn sure gotta work hard, watch film, fix your own mistakes and get better as the season goes. And you kinda gotta hold guys accountable to that as well. I know Casey had a bum hand, but there were opportunities to take on that role and it seems he never did.

in regards to the amount of TDs he had… just imagine a guy that works tirelessly and how many TDs he will have. The future is bright with a better QB, no doubt 

Very fair point. One can only wonder if he would’ve assumed that role had he been announced the starter in August. Hopefully Sark learned the value of team leadership

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's pretty telling that he doesn't even think he can get better, so what does he do? Bolts. He's mentally weak and doesn't want to have to work for the job. Later, dude. Thanks for Colorado, I guess?

Both of these takes can be true and not contradict. He was an electrifying player and I thank him for that while wishing him well. Same time, meh, we lost to Kansas and he ain’t trying to come back to compete so how good can he be? 

I respect him but won’t miss him (crazy potential but didn’t really show it here)

edit: didn’t show it in the Win Loss column I mean. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1