Casey Thompson

Tex Long

24 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

You keep on saying "I said might", and then go on and definitively state "If he were to stay, he’d be by far the lowest rated QB", which is ridiculous.  The fact that Card somehow managed to spot KU 14 points in the span of 35 seconds should automatically disqualify him from your argument.

It’s a fact he’s the lowest rated. Like, by a mile. You can think it’s ridiculous all you want, but it’s a fact.

Do I think Murphy beats him out?  No. Maalik redshirts probably no matter what. Does Card?  Maybe. Does Ewers?  Absolutely. 

5 minutes ago, B00M said:

PorteRex must be talking about recruiting ratings, as if that matters now. Jevan Snead was a 0.98 4-star... Colt was a 0.86 3-Star... CT was a scrub 0.90 4-star... Hudson Card a 0.97 4-star... Tyrone Swoops was a 0.92 4-star... Case McCoy was a 0.87 3-Star... Point is unless they're the rare 1.000 rated QB, these are a crapshoot and meaningless once the competition starts.

Wasn’t Garrett Gilbert a 5*?

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Wasn’t Garrett Gilbert a 5*?

Gilbert wasn’t a 1.00 surrounded by two very very high 4-stars. Point is, we have options much better than 3-star 4-6 Casey. He just wasn’t that impressive and came with a lot of drama. 

Just now, Porterhouse said:

It’s a fact he’s the lowest rated. Like, by a mile. You can think it’s ridiculous all you want, but it’s a fact.

Do I think Murphy beats him out?  No. Maalik redshirts probably no matter what. Does Card?  Maybe. Does Ewers?  Absolutely. 

Yeah, like BOOM pointed out, I didn't know you were talking about recruiting ratings.  Which is why I said "He had a higher rating than Card last season", because it's obvious I was talking QBR, when you were talking about a rating that means fuck all since both of them played against the same competition this season and we have a real metric of how each performed in games.

13 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

You don't think the guy who threw for over 2,100 yards and 24 TDs in only 8 full games, half of those with an injured throwing hand that could barely hang onto snaps, could beat out Card or MM?  Yeah, I have to disagree with you on that one.

At the end of the season he was 9th in QBR in the conference and 9th in Ints per attempt in the conference. Focusing on TDs misses the overall play. I know people like to say he was killing it prior to a thumb injury, but he had 2 good games vs terrible defense in Tech and Rice and was wretched vs a bad TCU defense. He also threw well vs Kansas and fell apart the next week vs ISU. The number 1 reason his QBR is low is because he lit up terrible defense and was a disaster vs good defenses. I wish him luck, but hard to shed a tear over a QB with a 4-6 record that is in his 20s 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Personally, I'd have preferred Card transferred and CT competed with Ewers. CT as a 1-year backup, 100% healthy, would be sick. Card as a 1-year backup? If he plays like he did last year? Fucking yikes.

I get it, Card stayed to get his degree, and CT transferred looking for more guaranteed playing time... but our 2022 season floor is significantly lower than it could have been.

If the recruiting ratings were accurate or relevant today, Card would have shown up @ Arkansas last year, CT never would've played, and we would have had a very different season. 

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Yeah, like BOOM pointed out, I didn't know you were talking about recruiting ratings.  Which is why I said "He had a higher rating than Card last season", because it's obvious I was talking QBR, when you were talking about a rating that means fuck all since both of them played against the same competition this season and we have a real metric of how each performed in games.

Card is younger and doesn’t have the skill set to combat our terrible OL like Casey did. That might be an indictment of him forever even at the college level. I agree we made the right decision to start Casey this year. But with Sark’s penchant for Card and another year to mature / retool the line?  This is why I suggested the possibility of him starting over Casey next year. I threw in all of his three competitors’ rankings out of high school because it is relevant as it underscores his very obvious shortcomings as a P5 starter at a school that recruits very well (even though we haven’t at QB until the recently). This is why he entered the portal, and it’s a good thing for us and him.  It’s a strong possibility he’d never start here again. 

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

casey thompson did not bring drama

Ok. 

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

At the end of the season he was 9th in QBR in the conference and 9th in Ints per attempt in the conference. Focusing on TDs misses the overall play. I know people like to say he was killing it prior to a thumb injury, but he had 2 good games vs terrible defense in Tech and Rice and was wretched vs a bad TCU defense. He also threw well vs Kansas and fell apart the next week vs ISU. The number 1 reason his QBR is low is because he lit up terrible defense and was a disaster vs good defenses. I wish him luck, but hard to shed a tear over a QB with a 4-6 record that is in his 20s 

No one's arguing Casey is a world-beater....just that he was better than Card and would likely continue to be better than Card, had he stayed.  Casey did play pretty well against the good Rapists defense, and moved the ball in his limited snaps against Pig.  Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about what we can do with Ewers and MM, but this fanbase seems to love shitting on our QBs.  The amount of times Sam got shit on for missing the deep ball while those same people ignored all the good things he did was annoying.  They couldn't wait for HC or CT to replace him, just like they can't wait to replace CT now.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

No one's arguing Casey is a world-beater....just that he was better than Card and would likely continue to be better than Card, had he stayed.  Casey did play pretty well against the good Rapists defense, and moved the ball in his limited snaps against Pig.  Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about what we can do with Ewers and MM, but this fanbase seems to love shitting on our QBs.  The amount of times Sam got shit on for missing the deep ball while those same people ignored all the good things he did was annoying.  They couldn't wait for HC or CT to replace him, just like they can't wait to replace CT now.

Card is an enigma. You can say if Card didn’t play vs Kansas, Texas might have won.  You can also say if Card started vs WV, Texas might have won. Cards issue is mental. First sign of trouble and he seems to get down on himself. He has all the physical tools. Tools that Casey doesn’t have. I have had my doubts on both QBs since about October. As far as arm talent goes, I don’t think Texas has ever had a QB room like this. Arm talent doesn’t mean great QB play, just physical potential. 

15 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Swoopes was a terrible player. Thompson had more talent but both led in 5-7 years. If you want to label them great Longhorns, be my guest.  It’s amusing. 

Great post. 

Swoopes, when realizing he wasn't going to be the starter, didn't enter the portal twice.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

He’s the guy that dropped the easy pick that would’ve ended the Kansas game, right? 

The fact that Schooler saw the field is an indictment on the state of the entire program.  Hard to judge the talent level of many players when so may similar "players" were in the mix.  Call me overly optimistic but I'm thinking a few selective upgrades will have dramatic results.

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Personally, I'd have preferred Card transferred and CT competed with Ewers. CT as a 1-year backup, 100% healthy, would be sick. Card as a 1-year backup? If he plays like he did last year? Fucking yikes.

I get it, Card stayed to get his degree, and CT transferred looking for more guaranteed playing time... but our 2022 season floor is significantly lower than it could have been.

If the recruiting ratings were accurate or relevant today, Card would have shown up @ Arkansas last year, CT never would've played, and we would have had a very different season. 

Yeah this would’ve been ideal but I fear the attitude you’d get when Ewers inevitably beats out CT. As it is now, you have an entirely clean slate with a significantly upgraded QB room (and entire roster). But yeah, Casey has skills that Card will never have, and Ewers probably doesn’t have, and Murphy is too green to showcase. It would’ve been great to have him as a backup and occasional spot starter if he was willing to do that. 

Yeah this would’ve been ideal but I fear the attitude you’d get when Ewers inevitably beats out CT. As it is now, you have an entirely clean slate with a significantly upgraded QB room (and entire roster). But yeah, Casey has skills that Card will never have, and Ewers probably doesn’t have, and Murphy is too green to showcase. It would’ve been great to have him as a backup and occasional spot starter if he was willing to do that. 

What skills are these?
  • Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Deej said:

Swoopes, when realizing he wasn't going to be the starter, didn't enter the portal twice.

Someone having Great Self-Awareness doesn’t make them a Great Longhorn.  

Handling pressure (better than Card), scrambling, and improvisational skills. 

I’m one who thinks they can go both grow as QBs. The theme with QBs these days seems to be give them 2 or 3 and that’s the end of their story.

That said our QBs made as few off schedule plays as you’ll see. They didn’t handle pass pressure particularly well. They rarely evaded a sack. There was virtually nothing of scrambling or improv.

As far as pressure of the situation, they both failed. Card probably let the moment get to him. Casey wasn’t overcome by the moment except he didn’t overcome the pressure of making plays in crucial situations when needed most.

They were both a victim of team failures of which they were a part.

11 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m one who thinks they can go both grow as QBs. The theme with QBs these days seems to be give them 2 or 3 and that’s the end of their story.

That said our QBs made as few off schedule plays as you’ll see. They didn’t handle pass pressure particularly well. They rarely evaded a sack. There was virtually nothing of scrambling or improv.

As far as pressure of the situation, they both failed. Card probably let the moment get to him. Casey wasn’t overcome by the moment except he didn’t overcome the pressure of making plays in crucial situations when needed most.

They were both a victim of team failures of which they were a part.

Honesty, neither handled pressure well. I think Arkansas was too much for Card. He shut down. That said he was the best QB in the WV game. Card is certainly the more talented than Casey. Thompson is limited by his arm and inability to get off his first read, huge reason he turned the ball over at a high rate. Card came back and was quick, maybe too quick, to check it down. Both are flawed QBs, but Card is young, so maybe he can turn it around 

• Hook 'Em 2

Honesty, neither handled pressure well. I think Arkansas was too much for Card. He shut down. That said he was the best QB in the WV game. Card is certainly the more talented than Casey. Thompson is limited by his arm and inability to get off his first read, huge reason he turned the ball over at a high rate. Card came back and was quick, maybe too quick, to check it down. Both are flawed QBs, but Card is young, so maybe he can turn it around 

Yeah, I’m with you. Card probably choked a bit. Maybe in part cause he’s a local kid, part being the winner of a QB battle and knowing the other was still there, and not getting off to a quick start. All things that are somewhat understandable for a freshman. The timing of his injury was poor because he was rallying the team somewhat. There were two plays in which he moved well in the pocket to create a passing lane and made the throw versus WVU.

That said, there is some upside there. If he stays, I’ll be pleased.

I don’t know which side to take regarding starting Thompson over Card.  Card’s development didn’t really happen and even with the numbers that X put up, hasn’t done shit to help in recruiting because Texas has a minus recruiter of that position.

Casey could start for a few teams in the B10 in my opinion and would be interesting if he could reunite with Yurcich. Nebraska and Wisconsin would be interesting but I know nothing of their QB rooms. 

Best of luck to him. 

38 minutes ago, XForce said:

I don’t know which side to take regarding starting Thompson over Card.  Card’s development didn’t really happen and even with the numbers that X put up, hasn’t done shit to help in recruiting because Texas has a minus recruiter of that position.

Casey could start for a few teams in the B10 in my opinion and would be interesting if he could reunite with Yurcich. Nebraska and Wisconsin would be interesting but I know nothing of their QB rooms. 

Best of luck to him. 

I don’t think you watched Card play in any game this year….   Maybe you watched part of the first one where he was ok vs a terrible team and that’s it.   There’s a reason Thomson played most of the second half of the season with a broken thumb basically before Card….  Sarks not dumb.  It’s cause in game time he was light years ahead of Card.  How easy we forget he led scoring drives on 40/50 drives before the thumb injury….   He’s going to do good wherever he ends up, is he going to be a nfl all pro no but he’s a solid college qb when healthy.   

Edited by Hook1997

I wasn't the biggest CT fan in the world but there is no reason to hate on him.  I have several times tried to imagine him behind a highly competent offensive line and it isn't hard to see him having some pretty amazing success (why what Sark is doing gruntles me very much) Hope for the best for the guy.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Someone having Great Self-Awareness doesn’t make them a Great Longhorn.  

I consider Swoopes to be a great Longhorn.  He wasn’t a great QB, but he put the team over himself and still came out and kicked ass every now and then even after he was benched.   Swoopes there it is bitches!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Where would he have portaled to lmao

Nowhere. Not just because he was a terrible QB, but because the portal didn't exist until two years after his eligibility ended.

That's of no concern to the "Casey Thompson was a cancer 'cause butthurt, lyin' IT says so" crowd who want so badly for it to be true to deflect from their dishonest and unethical financial backing of Card.

9 hours ago, XForce said:

Had

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I don’t think you watched Card play in any game this year….   Maybe you watched part of the first one where he was ok vs a terrible team and that’s it.   

Terrible is a bit of a stretch, man. They went 13-1 for fuck sake. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

14 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Handling pressure (better than Card), scrambling, and improvisational skills. 

What makes you think Ewers can't handle pressure, scramble, or improv?