Ryan Adams News

hullabelew

Nothing big, he used to hang out at The Hole In The Wall when he lived in Austin for a bit, and was always (I mean ALWAYS) shit-hammered drunk.  One night my crummy little band was playing and he sat in the crowd shouting out multiple requests for "Freebird" (as if that joke isn't way played out), and then tried to get onstage to "jam".  I tried to politely reroute him, but our other guitarist was less subtle and just pushed him off.  

Adams is a total dick.  Very talented, but a total dick.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Nothing big, he used to hang out The Hole In The Wall when he lived in Austin for a bit, and was always (I mean ALWAYS) shit-hammered drunk.  One night my crummy little band was playing and he sat in the crowd shouting out multiple requests for "Freebird" (as if that joke isn't way played out), and then tried to get onstage to "jam".  I tried to politely reroute him, but our other guitarist was less subtle and just pushed him off.  

Adams is a total dick.  Very talented, but a total dick.

I wonder how much of this sexual misconduct is fueled by alcoholism or alcohol abuse.  It's not in any way a perfect or even acceptable excuse, but it is something of a mitigation.

I never stole or sexually assaulted anyone (even under the loosest definition of that term), but I certainly acted a fool and a shithead and completely inconsistently with my own values.

• Like 1

Not that I have any first-hand knowledge like jimmyjazz, but every 2nd- or 3rd-hand story I've heard about Ryan Adams is exactly as he describes... that Adams is a little asshole who's drunk or high all the time.

So this NY Times story isn't a big surprise.  Turns out he's a super creep asshole.  What I don't get, in this day and age, is how a semi-famous person can be sending texts and shit to underage (or close to it) girls.  I mean... it's a text, dipshit... it's not like some wannabe starfucker isn't going to keep that shit.

Take out the underage girl stuff, and this is pretty Man Bites Dog. "Ryan Adams is a Capricious Basketcase and Dating or Being Married to Him is a Nightmare." He asbolutely has serious histrionic personality disorder, commonly demonstrates the worst traits of an untreated addict/alcoholic, and is an emotional mess in general. He has made a lot of concessions about being a jerk and doing jerk stuff in dozens of interviews way before this article. Also, he did sell this shirt at his concerts. 

50438afb11f5250c416a1d151ae38f14.png

He also wrote an album called "LOVE IS HELL" ffs. So I'm partially failing to see the martyrdom of some of these ladies. With Harvey Weinstein and Louis CK, there were definitely allegations about a lack of consent. Other than part about the minor (please don't be true) who legally can't grant consent to an adult, I'm not seeing any kind of sexual assault, battery, rape, etc.

Finally, "psychological and emotional abuse" is some subjective shit and comes with the territory even in normal relationships. If being tortured by an emotional shitshow in a consensual romantic relationship is now under the "me too" umbrella, I'm pretty much going to need a position on the board of directors. 

Full disclosure: I really want to defend him/the really bad stuff to not be true because he is up there among my absolute favorites if not #1 in the modern era. Sucks.  

Edited by Grandioso

Those Prisoner lyrics have a different meaning after the text exchanges with the underage girl. 

I'm out. I love his music but I can't listen to it now and not separate him with what's come out. I'm good with his release being cancelled. He's getting a taste of what he allegedly did to people like Phoebe Bridger.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wonder how much of this sexual misconduct is fueled by alcoholism or alcohol abuse.  It's not in any way a perfect or even acceptable excuse, but it is something of a mitigation.

I never stole or sexually assaulted anyone (even under the loosest definition of that term), but I certainly acted a fool and a shithead and completely inconsistently with my own values.

He hasn’t drank in years, but he never got sober either.  Probably a connection/correlation.

I'm not saying this sexting with a minor thing is going to turn out to be BS like Rolling Stones' infamous "A Rape on Campus" or whatever, but some of the facts seem pretty weird. Regardless, the FBI getting involved is a good thing. He'll either get quasi-exonerated or catch charges and get nailed to the wall. On the crime and punishment side, justice will be done.

As far as using power/celebrity/false promises to sleep with much younger women who had aspiring talents, I think everyone agrees that the behavior is gross/shameful but not criminal. He seems ready to get his comeuppance for that shit, which the Times article most certainly delivered. 

His BEST case scenario is: (1) the minor sext shit is misrepresented or false, (2) he spends 2-3 years of public exile w/ no album releases, no tours, minimal tweeting, etc., (3) quietly returns to music in a less visible role, and (4) is able to make a humble "comeback" by giving a totally honest high profile interview.

I think people can forgive him for most of this shit, but he's going to fucking need Oprah to endorse him as "rehabilitated." Only The Oprah has that kind of power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

People aren’t forgiving sexting with a minor. 

That's why my best case scenario for him depends on that stuff being false or there being a lot more to the story. Yes, if the narrative is reasonably clear cut, e.g., minor child + adult knowledge + sexual contact/communication by adult, he is done. At that point, forgiveness is between him and the God of his own choosing.

I'm not sure he recovers even if he's exonerated on the pedo. The stuff with Phoebe Bridger and other female artists is very similar to the type of stuff that was discussed as a happening in the movie industry with the Me Too movement. His hardcore fans don't care but the labels might. I get the feeling he's not the first that will have these stories come out. 

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm not sure he recovers even if he's exonerated on the pedo. The stuff with Phoebe Bridger and other female artists is very similar to the type of stuff that was discussed as a happening in the movie industry with the Me Too movement. His hardcore fans don't care but the labels might. I get the feeling he's not the first that will have these stories come out. 

He sabotaged his wife’s career. What kind of asshole does that?

• Like 1

She's been hinting around in interviews for a while now just how bad being married to him was. Her name definitely helped this blow up in the press as a lot of the headlines I saw lead with his mistreatment of her and then discussed the sexting with the minor. 

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's be honest . . . he's not really a thing any more, is he?  I mean, I don't think he was ever huge, but he was known and respected.  Now it seems like he's been pretty much off the radar for years.

Is he the short white Ben Harper?

He probably has not put out a truly great album in 14 years.  But he was extremely prolific and put out a ton of great music from 2000-2005 (and some great stuff before that as part of Whiskytown).  Infinitely better music than Ben Harper.  Adams's early 2000s output is comparable to Gram Parsons or early Jackson Browne. Unfortunately, like Jackson Browne, the quality started to slide at some point.   

• Like 1

I only saw him live once at ACL Music Festival in 2003 or 2004. I got up pretty close to the stage. Great songwriter and musician, amd he seemed like one of the bigger assholes on the planet.

We’re the same age, and I lived in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina when he was in the neighboring town of Jacksonville. /csb

The Mandy Moore doesn't set well with me. Not blaming the victim here but she knew what she was getting in to when she married the asshole. Even once she got him to quit drinking and his mental issues were finally able to be diagnosed, he was still an asshole.

Now that she has the acting spotlight from that shitty show, she finally starts complaining that he is an asshole.

Hell, we have all known that for years.

My parents came down for a visit today and my mom points to my Ryan Adams poster for his last Houston show and she said, "Did you hear what Mandy Moore said about him?"

My mom is 66 years old and only watches local and evening network news. How does she know this shit?!? FML.

*Actually, since she is retired, I bet she picked it up on one of the morning "news" infotainment shows like Good Morning America or the Today Show.

Edited by Grandioso

8 hours ago, hullabelew said:

The Mandy Moore doesn't set well with me. Not blaming the victim here but she knew what she was getting in to when she married the asshole. Even once she got him to quit drinking and his mental issues were finally able to be diagnosed, he was still an asshole.

Now that she has the acting spotlight from that shitty show, she finally starts complaining that he is an asshole.

Hell, we have all known that for years.

She also hasn't made an album in 10 years and has been teasing "new tracks" with her current squeeze, the dude from Dawes. For all I know, she married RA in the first place to help gain artistic integrity with actual adults.

And I don't know if Mandy Moore is a "victim" here as I understand the term. Arguing and fighting and (I'm assuming) plates being smashed against the wall and gaslighting and emotional warfare don't make Mandy Moore a victim of anything. This is run of the mill shit in any other non-celebrity dysfunctional relationship. 

In order for someone to be a "victim" of "emotional abuse," and for me feel sorry for them, they need to be a child or disabled, or the emotional abuse is coupled with physical abuse or threats of physical abuse. Otherwise, this shit is just called "fighting."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grandioso said:

She also hasn't made an album in 10 years and has been teasing "new tracks" with her current squeeze, the dude from Dawes. For all I know, she married RA in the first place to help gain artistic integrity with actual adults.

And I don't know if Mandy Moore is a "victim" here as I understand the term. Arguing and fighting and (I'm assuming) plates being smashed against the wall and gaslighting and emotional warfare don't make Mandy Moore a victim of anything. This is run of the mill shit in any other non-celebrity dysfunctional relationship. 

In order for someone to be a "victim" of "emotional abuse," and for me feel sorry for them, they need to be a child or disabled, or the emotional abuse is coupled with physical abuse or threats of physical abuse. Otherwise, this shit is just called "fighting."

This, and even the other girl too.

Maybe the term “abuse,” is used a little too loosely these days?

But in the only articles I’ve read, (since this), he seems like a self-absorbed ego maniac.  (Minus the sexting stuff if true).

And most of us have known that.  And I’m sure after about 6 months of dating him, they knew that too.

He’s a piece of shit and probably a child molester if those texts are real. I hope he goes to prison if true. 

That being said, I don’t get the Mandy Moore outrage. You guys used to argue? He didn’t support your music career? You didn’t have a fairytale marriage? You married a piece of shit and he ended up being a piece of shit? I’m sorry. Maybe marry someone who doesn’t treat you like that, and no I don’t believe there weren’t huge red flags before you got married. I don’t feel sorry for you. 

Heartbreaker was one of those game changer albums for me. I was in my early 20s in a new city and wore that record out. Quickly got into his earlier Whiskeytown stuff as well. 

My appreciation of his music started to wane and I haven't listened to anything since Cold Roses/Jacksonville City Nights. Hearing the stories of his dickishness was alway a put off, and since his songs are so personal I think I subconsciously stayed away. 

With this recent news, he can fuck right off. 

Phoebe Bridgers' statement sounds incredibly fair and rings true. It doesn't exagerrate nor minimalize what seemed to be going on - not criminal behavior, but rather unchecked fuckery by an emotional mess.

“It’s been a weird week and I wanted to say a couple things. Thank you from my whole fucking heart to my friends, my bands, my mom. They all supported and validated me. They told me that what had happened was fucked up and wrong, and that I was right to feel weird about it. I couldn’t have done this without them. Ryan had a network too. Friends, bands, people he worked with. None of them held him accountable. They told him, by what they said or by what they didn’t, that what he was doing was okay. They validated him. He couldn’t have done this without them. Guys, if your friend is acting fucked up, call them out. If they’re actually your friend, they’ll listen. That’s the way this all gets better.”

She really goes after the enablers, too.

The name & shame NYT article might end up being good for old Ryan, in the long run. He needs a heart to heart with Isbell, needs to stop the marijuana maintenance, and needs to come to Jesus. 

Edited by Grandioso

The article was two thirds "crazy unsupervised man bites dog, can you believe that?????" and one third noteworthy. Phoebe Bridger should go look up "naive" in the dictionary, it totally has a picture of her next to it. No really!!!

My skin crawled reading the section about the underage girl and I wanted to physically harm Ryan Adams while and after reading it.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The article was two thirds "crazy unsupervised man bites dog, can you believe that?????" and one third noteworthy. Phoebe Bridger should go look up "naive" in the dictionary, it totally has a picture of her next to it. No really!!!

Honestly, I think the very fact that everyone is like, "yeah it's not surprising that a guy in the music industry, who is fucked up on booze and drugs all the time, used his power and influence to get in the pants of young girls," is sort of the point of the story.

The whole thing is that people shouldn't be surprised about this behavior because it shouldn't be allowed, expected or tolerated.

• Like 1

The song she does called Motion Sickness is about her time with Ryan Adams. Apparently when she performs it live, she always intros it as a song about him and how he's a dick to women. So it's like she's been keeping her feelings a secret. The new album with her and Oberst is getting a lot of buzz. 

Edited by mdmost