$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Dynamite drop in, Kirk.  Those journalism classes are really paying off!

Also Kirk Bohls, probably: “I ran into Elon Musk in Austin and overheard him talking on his cell about whether he’d ultimately buy Twitter or not.  Nobody cares about that, so naturally I asked him what he thought about the Horns down.  He gave me a perplexed look and didn’t say anything - ha, gotcha Elon!”

"And then I voted for Blue Origin as best private space company of 2005. Because I'm so fucking neutral."

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

He was on the "it's just banter" podcast recently pubbing his book. Told a good story about BJ Johnson getting locked in a room by then assistant coach Urban Meyer asking him how much money would it take to get BJ to Notre Dame. Roach didn't mention Meyer by name, but it was clear that is who he was talking about. 

i absolutely didn't expect an IJB reference here

On 7/16/2022 at 9:39 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm not a recruit-nik and don't have a lot of prior knowledge of Roach and how he gets down, but he came off as a fairly decent guy from podcast. I did get the sense that he's a big high school football fan and clearly prefers it over college football so that claim checks out with everything I've read on here about him. 

i would generally agree here. dude puts in the miles, isn't a guy easily tempted to post dumb shit because a trainer told him something like EJ - he is just a little hesitant to say much of anything. don't think he is a shitty dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

i would generally agree here. dude puts in the miles, isn't a guy easily tempted to post dumb shit because a trainer told him something like EJ - he is just a little hesitant to say much of anything. don't think he is a shitty dude.

My problem with EJ Holland is that he was a mercenary who frankly didn't like Texas that much. Roach is at least a fan of the program. I don't think someone has to have burnt orange blinders on. In fact, that's unhelpful. But when a part of them rejoices a bit when Texas loses and they're covering Texas recruiting, that's an issue.

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

My problem with EJ Holland is that he was a mercenary who frankly didn't like Texas that much. Roach is at least a fan of the program. I don't think someone has to have burnt orange blinders on. In fact, that's unhelpful. But when a part of them rejoices a bit when Texas loses and they're covering Texas recruiting, that's an issue.

Is Roach a fan of the program? I get more ambivalence off him than anything.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I can't speak to who he is now, but I met with him when he was first starting out. He was a long time Texas fan. Loved high school football. Covered it as a hobby. Bobby Burton needed someone else on the 24/7 staff and took a chance on him. Obviously went to school with BJ Johnson among others. As opposed to EJ Holland who graduated from SMU and really couldn't give a fuck how the team did when it came down to it. 

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I can't speak to who he is now, but I met with him when he was first starting out. He was a long time Texas fan. Loved high school football. Covered it as a hobby. Bobby Burton needed someone else on the 24/7 staff and took a chance on him. Obviously went to school with BJ Johnson among others. As opposed to EJ Holland who graduated from SMU and really couldn't give a fuck how the team did when it came down to it. 

Was this from the infamous dinner with those two? 

36 minutes ago, blacklab said:

he's so thin skinned for such a lard ass it's amazing he doesn't pop like a zit

it's impressive he has been on the internet for 20 years, and still is THIS thin skinned.

oh my god. did he limit who can see the tweet in question?

image.png.75ebd9e09ad7a2ef4fcacd7e950362a8.png

-

image.png.ea9fddfbffc6650da0c0bab74da709a3.png

On 7/20/2022 at 4:46 PM, texifornia said:

He answered a mailbag question on his podcast with E.J. about whether he was a fan. 

E.J. was always saying he wasn't a fan. 

Mike said he was a life long longhorn fan. And had a texas room in his house. 

I think. It was like 5 years ago. And I was probably drunk. 

32 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

He answered a mailbag question on his podcast with E.J. about whether he was a fan. 

E.J. was always saying he wasn't a fan. 

Mike said he was a life long longhorn fan. And had a texas room in his house. 

I think. It was like 5 years ago. And I was probably drunk. 

You? Drunk? With that avatar? Whodathunkit? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆

It's funny because Gerry was out on the road covering recruiting when she was still filling out her Lisa Frank sticker collection 

I know this is trotted out as part of some kind of solution for college athletics, but a student athlete union has hair all over it in ways that unions in other industries do not. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it. As in any labor situation, it’s tough to have equal leverage with large employers working in collusion without collective bargaining, but it will create a lot more issues than it will solve, IMO. 

I’ll also say that the Fenn State players have not yet announced they’ve formed a union, although that’s obviously the direction Jason Stahl wants them to move in. 

No reason to think he has anything but the players’ best interests at heart, but if Stahl is able to put himself as the head of a student athlete union he will have way more power than a commensurate executive director of a player’s union in so called professional leagues, although I’m uncertain how important the distinctions are going to be. We’ll see what happens, but I do not think student athletes unionizing will fix anything. I think it’s going to cause way more problems than solutions. 

That said, certainly better access to medical care both during eligibility and afterwards seems like a no brainer for any student athlete. The revenue sharing portion sounds tricky as all get out. For one thing, there is no “getting.around Title IX requirements” that doesn’t involve litigation. There’s not really an effective enforcement arm of Title IX outside of the court system. So if college football players are suddenly being paid more than women athletes, no matter the source, it’s subject to a lawsuit as soon as a woman athlete chooses to do so. Frankly, the same goes for NIL, even if the schools can successfully claim they have no jurisdiction over that money. They still may someday be asked to prove that in court, even if they haven’t so far.

I’m not sayIng the litigation would be successful. I’m simply saying that’s where things would ultimately be hashed out, because there’s not any other organization effectively enforcing Title IX compliance. 

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

But that’s not where the line is drawn. It’s not about paying football players 40k per year. 

It’s the same with everything involving college athletics. The NCAA argued back in 1984 that if you allowed football programs to appear on TV as much as they wanted and you allowed schools to negotiate their own contracts outside of the NCAA that it would create a tiered system where the rich got richer and would eventually lead to the destruction of amateur athletics. 

In the NIL cases the NCAA’’s position always was that there wasn’t any way to determine the distinction between a legitimate business opportunity for marketing purposes and a wealthy alumnus buying the services of a student athlete to go to their favored school. 

Both of those are very true. Doesn’t mean they were legal positions under the law of the land, but the amount of ridicule the NCAA as an institution received for both of those positions - and continues to receive today as an inept organization that didn’t do more to better manage the issues, as if that was possible. 

It’s not a matter of if some schools could afford to pay some players directly. it is how do you do that within a framework that doesn’t completely destroy college athletics. I don’t know what the solutions are, but I know where we’re headed. We’ll have a few super conferences (probably two) with members being schools who have completely shucked off whatever vestiges of cognitive dissonance exist by fielding billion dollar enterprises within the confines of an academic institution, playing each other to the exclusion of anyone else to determine national champions and the apportionment of revenue. All the players are going to be paid a whole lot more than they are right now. In most sports they’re going to be paid a lot more than any professional league is capable of, with the exception of sports with major professional sports leagues.

But even within that context I question if a unionized student athlete group is feasible as an ongoing concern. I guess with the right charismatic leader anything is possible, but they’ll be the one with the power. Not the student athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

in the SEC, looks like you basically only get statues if you:

• coach a NC winning team
  • win a heisman
  • are a mascot
  • broke the color barrier (Kentucky, put up in 2016) or are a trailblazer of some kind (Tenn)
  • are Chucky Mullins

2 old articles on SEC statues:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/documenting-statues-on-sec-campuses/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-football-statues/

A&M has statues of E King Gill, John David Crow and  War Hymn. Still no JFF statue as far as I can tell.

i get what he is saying, but literally no one has a statue of a winning national championship team.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

in the SEC, looks like you basically only get statues if you:

• coach a NC winning team
  • win a heisman
  • are a mascot
  • broke the color barrier (Kentucky, put up in 2016) or are a trailblazer of some kind (Tenn)
  • are Chucky Mullins

2 old articles on SEC statues:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/documenting-statues-on-sec-campuses/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-football-statues/

A&M has statues of E King Gill, John David Crow and  War Hymn. Still no JFF statue as far as I can tell.

i get what he is saying, but literally no one has a statue of a winning national championship team.

You forgot known aggy hero Sull Ross

On 7/16/2022 at 3:38 PM, SydneyCarton said:

We’ll that’s slightly less embarrassing. That being said it still feels like listening to a millennial trying to explain to me how to use a rotary phone. 

It’s like just like a vagina, you put one finger in, you swerve it around until you hit the right number, then you pull out and do it again? Did I do it right?

• Hook 'Em 1

ESPN's Tom Luginbill explains Arch Manning's fall from top spot in recruiting rankings

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/08/01/arch-manning-espn-dropped-manning-no-1-recruiting-ranking/10188140002/

Spoiler

Arch Manning falling from the top spot of ESPN’s recruiting rankings for the Class of 2023 last week was one of the more surprising recruiting developments in some time.

The most recognizable name in high school football and nephew of Super Bowl winning quarterbacks Peyton and Eli Manning, the Isidore Newman senior has been the longtime consensus No. 1 overall prospect in all of the national services’ rankings for his class for years.

Manning remains the top overall recruit in 2023 in three of four recruiting outlets, but ESPN moved USC commit and California native Malachi Nelson up to No. 1 above Manning.

Tom Luginbill, ESPN's national recruiting director, explained the slip from Manning to The Daily Advertiser, saying Manning’s drop to No. 2 was about seeing more and more of the other talented quarterbacks in the 2023 class during the past several months.

“When we came into this class and were looking at them as underclassmen, it was in the middle of a pandemic. In Louisiana, as far as Arch was concerned, Arch’s season and evaluation was not impacted because he was not missing time and he had three years as a starter,” Luginbill said. “The other guys’ seasons had been affected by the pandemic.

“Eli Holstein, Malachi Nelson, Dante Moore, Jaden Rashada, Nicholaus Iamaleava, we didn’t have a good sample size. We realized we needed bigger sample sizes of other guys, and that only comes through full seasons. That would’ve been normal information we would’ve had two years ago. But this has primarily been a class that’s missed a camp and combine circuit.”

It’s a lengthy process for Luginbill and his staff at ESPN. As they gathered more information, observing and evaluating other top quarterbacks in the 2023 class at camps and skill showcases (which Manning chose not to attend this cycle), the slim gap closed in the ESPN ratings.

“We were in no rush to change for the sake of change. This wasn’t about that. This was more about gathering info. Whether it was at the Elite 11 or the Under Armour Camp series, we saw so many guys in operation that we hadn’t seen in two years because of the pandemic,” Luginbill said.

“Not knocking Arch. We went back and studied the other prospects’ seasons. But we got to see them and Arch chose not to participate in those. But really, Arch got a head start with the collegiate camps early in his freshman and sophomore years, and he’s played a full three seasons. What it came down to for us was level of competition that Arch is playing is not the same in comparison.”

One of most widely followed recruitments in some time with offers from every big-name college football program, including Alabama, Georgia, LSU among others, Manning committed to Texas in June.

During his junior season in 2021, Manning threw for 1,913 yards with 26 touchdowns while also rushing for six scores and 381 yards for Isidore Newman, which lost to Lafayette Christian by six touchdowns in the state semifinals.

Former Rivals recruiting director Mike Farrell said if not for his last name, Manning would be a high, three-star quarterback, that he hasn’t “progressed” since his freshman year and that he hasn’t stepped up against better competition.

Luginbill echoed that Manning has not performed well against quality competition but still sees him as one of the top quarterback prospects in his class, just not the top one presently.

“Level of competition," Luginbill said. " That would be a significant part of it between Arch and Malachi. Malachi going back to last spring, showed up to every event he possibly could. There was more to see against his peers and we take that stuff into account,” Luginbill said. “It would’ve helped Arch Manning if he had gone to every camp he could.

“All of the hype and exposure, but also because of last name, he’s going to receive a lot of doubt and negativity. If he had gone out and done those things, I think it would’ve t curtailed that scrutiny some. That’s got to go into the equation.”

ESPN will update their class of 2023 recruiting rankings again before it’s finalized and there’ll be chances for Manning to reclaim the No. 1 spot, Luginbill said.

“I need to see what Arch does in the playoffs, how he plays against teams that are better than the one he’s on,” Luginbill said. “He’s need to elevate his team. ... A player of his stature, the expectation level he’s never going to escape, but he needs to play his best games against the best teams on his schedule.”

TLDR: We wanted clicks, but I'm going to say that we dropped Arch to #2 because of the level of competition and because he didn't go to camps.