$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

22 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Wonder if he got a gig at a school as a scout or as an assistant recruiter.  I used to listen to his and Mike's pod from a few years ago.. Nick would attend all the events and never really pump up the koolaid on any UT offers.. just relayed what was told to him.

21 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Wonder if he got a gig at a school as a scout or as an assistant recruiter.  I used to listen to his and Mike's pod from a few years ago.. Nick would attend all the events and never really pump up the koolaid on any UT offers.. just relayed what was told to him.

Nope - just what we need. Another fanBoy beat writer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nope - just what we need. Another fanBoy beat writer.

I like the arrogance of this guy to announce that it is "his last day of working recruiting industry ever again." Gosh Nick, I hope life doesn't throw you any fucking curveballs at any point. 

• Haha 2

Regarding that Ari Wassman article I went back and did some research using 247, dating back to the earliest I saw star rankings and came up with this:

image.thumb.png.2f3fd2202eddea907f0849d8665ec345.png

image.thumb.png.8e85a34c34487e1c2d3d2aa2477e89c5.png

The future was bright from 2018 forward IMO. The rough patch was the end of Mack to Beginning of Tom Herman.

3 Players flat out bust by my count, 3-4 due to injuries, and 3 transferred(one of which never even participated at Texas, Bru McCoy). So out of 39 5 stars since 2000 only about 8-9 didn't pan out. 16 of the remaining 30 players were drafted and all the rest were productive college players for Texas.

46 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm pretty sure On3's first ever rankings were 2023 class, get you a cup of coffee champ. So about 3-4 years is when we will see those results.

It was the 2021 class, champ. 

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/player/football/2022/

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/player/football/2021

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So your point is still wrong and I was wrong as well. 2024 will be first year their rankings could be used then. 

When I’m going to be wildly condescending to someone in a post, I try my best to make sure I’m not also wildly incorrect as well. It doesn’t always work out that way, but my batting average is a lot better than yours. 

But my batting average when it comes to other people’s spelling is shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

When I’m going to be wildly condescending to someone in a post, I try my best to make sure I’m not also wildly incorrect as well. It doesn’t always work out that way, but my batting average is a lot better than yours. 

But my batting average when it comes to other people’s spelling is shit. 

Can't bat any lower that 1.000 if you can never admit you're wrong :)

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can you two weapons-grade nimrods take your game of knifey-spooney to DMs or something? There’s going to be actual transfer portal news today. Good grief. 

Good or bad for us? But this is the 9.95 thread, not the transfer portal thread.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Taylor is also moving into another role. That site is a shell of what it used to be. I’ve canceled and re-activated my subscription a few times depending on what time of year it is, but overall it is probably the worst of the 9.95 sites when it comes to continuous info/articles and mods engaging with posters.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Looks like Taylor is also moving into another role. That site is a shell of what it used to be. I’ve canceled and re-activated my subscription a few times depending on what time of year it is, but overall it is probably the worst of the 9.95 sites when it comes to continuous info/articles and mods engaging with posters.

(Looks like the full list of Horns 247 changes.)

Some exciting new staffing changes to announce!

Kevin Ryan

Spoiler

Some exciting new staffing changes to announce!

Kevin Ryan

I am extremely excited to announce some staffing changes for the site. While we are announcing them today, they will all begin their new roles on Monday, June 5.

Ladies, first. I would like to congratulate Taylor Estes. She is moving to a more behind-the-scenes editor role with 247Sports, and she will be assisting multiple sites on our network. She will help with best practices, organization, as a liaison between the folks in the field and 247/CBS/Paramount and more. Taylor is not moving to Nashville, so she will still be around the area and likely on the site. She has good sources in and around the program and I'm sure will continue to contribute when she has news/scoop.

I am also pleased to announce and congratulate Mike Roach on moving to a position covering recruitng for the entire state of Texas for the 247Sports network. Mike has proven to be a force on the trail in Texas, and his expertise and contacts can help all of the 247Sports sites whose teams recruit the state. Because he will be covering the state (and maybe a few surrounding states as well) Mike will obviously still be around and will be a resouces for Longhorns fans.

Now for the newcomers ....

HANK SOUTH - Born in San Antonio and raised in Austin, Hank South attended Westlake High School before graduating from Texas in 2013. He got his start in the recruiting industry with BamaOnLine, covering recruiting. He was with the site for the last 8+ years, but always hoped for the opportunity to eventually cover the Longhorns. Now that dream has now come true. Hank is excited to share his passion for Longhorns football through his work and is pumped to join the Horns247 community and add to the fantastic work the team has already been producing.

ERIC HENRY - Eric Henry spent the last five years covering Conference USA and Florida International University for SB Nation. Additionally, Eric served as Managing Editor of SB Nation’s Group of Five Football website, Underdog Dynasty, from 2020-2023. He also served as a fill-in analyst for Florida International football’s pregame and postgame radio shows, provided additional weekly coverage of FIU Athletics on 560 AM and co-hosted SB Nation’s Conference USA football podcast. Prior to SB Nation, he spent two years covering high school football and basketball Frequency Television in Chicago. He earned a graduate degree in journalism from Columbia College Chicago’s School of Mass Communications and an undergraduate degree from the University of Central Florida. Eric is a member of the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ).

JORDAN SCRUGGS - Jordan got his start in the recruiting industry by building a social media juggernaut, but he has also proven he is gifted at building relationships and breaking news. His TXFBLIFE Instagram, TikTok and Twitter accounts grew rapidly, and he sold part of his company before his 21st birthday. He managed a team of 10 videogrphers, and is an outstanding photographer and videographer himself. Those skills will come in handy as he covers the Texas recruiting beat with Hank South and Hudson Standish. Scruggs started at 247Sports as a recruiting analyst with our Baylor site, but covering Texas recruiting has always been his goal.

So to summarize, we will have Chip, Jeff, Eric, Hudson, Hank, Jordan and Tommy Yarrish (video) as our Horns247 sports staff leading into this season. I am excited for those moving on to new opportunities and I am very excited about the additions to the staff we are making. I think this will give the site and the message board community a little shot in the arm and some newer, fresh perspectives.

Please join me in congratulating Taylor and Mike and in welcoming Eric, Hank and Jordan.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was getting depressing posting Milquetoast Mike's articles, glad he gets to never have to pretend he cares about the collegiate side again. Chip is never leaving his roost so Mike/Taylor leaving and getting writers with established voices that aren't just graduating from college and won't be as influenced by the current crew is as good of changes as we'll get from 247

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Teryor said:

It was getting depressing posting Milquetoast Mike's articles, glad he gets to never have to pretend he cares about the collegiate side again. Chip is never leaving his roost so Mike/Taylor leaving and getting writers with established voices that aren't just graduating from college and won't be as influenced by the current crew is as good of changes as we'll get from 247

Milk toast*

I find it hilarious that no one mentioned Chip in their farewell missives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would you say Horns247 is worse than even TFB?

Anyways I thought it was weird that Horns247 hadn't done an episode of their recruiting podcast in several months. These staff changes probably explains why.

• Fuck You 6

46 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Would you say Horns247 is worse than even TFB?

Anyways I thought it was weird that Horns247 hadn't done an episode of their recruiting podcast in several months. These staff changes probably explains why.

No one wants a dialogue with you, Ketch. Especially when you want to show up and discuss the quality of podcasts. Go away. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hank South is a really good hire. I'll actually read their non-Jeff Howe stuff moving forward. Roach was almost as worthless as Ian Boyd. 

I would at least listen to Roach if he had advice for some shitty small town greasy spoon, or if I inexplicably had a desire to eat at a gatti's or cici's pizza, which I know he can navigate to blindly like a salmon that can naturally return to their spawning ground. I bet Ian Boyd's diet consists exclusively of kashii go-lean cereal and prunes. 

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I always thought he was 60+ until about 5 minutes ago.

Dave South name association, imo. I'm curious if he will re-brand himself as Henry South now that his audience isn't Alabama. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4