$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, but I can tell you that if you have a problem with players getting paid through NIL, it's time to go start following the Patriot League or the Ivy League conferences.

Players getting paid at Texas is a good thing. Like every other program, it's going to be hit or miss on the big roles and where the money goes. Ultimately, simply being a QB on the roster at places like Texas is going be a 6 figure gig, starting at the freshman level. One guy will start, and then uninformed assholes can mock the people and businesses putting the effort and capital out there to also pay the back-ups.

Quinn Ewers is going to be the first $1million transfer if Stroud continues to put up big numbers and play well. We can all laugh heartily and gloat if such a thing occurs. Eventually, though, it will also be our turn. 

I

I’m not suggesting otherwise.  I’m simply pointing out that IT quickly grabbed Card as their NIL darling assuming he was the sure fire starter for the next few years and that may not end up being the case.  I’m wondering how much value difference might there be between the back-up vs starter and does IT regret not creating deals with both QBs?

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

I’m not suggesting otherwise.  I’m simply pointing out that IT quickly grabbed Card as their NIL darling assuming he was the sure fire starter for the next few years and that may not end up being the case.  I’m wondering how much value difference might there be between the back-up vs starter and does IT regret not creating deals with both QBs?

Perhaps. I caught Wells late on The Horn in Austin talking about the QB change. He sounded pretty salty, understandably so,  about the QB change. Didn’t sound like the two radio hacks had any clue about their NIL deal with Card. It wasn’t brought up. 

Reporting on a QB battle while you’re paying one of the QBs is a huge conflict of interest, that’s just an obvious fact. All of the other stuff, the preseason reporting, which QB is better etc. is irrelevant to that obvious fact.

IT should’ve just owned up to it, and put a disclaimer before any reporting on the QB battle. These dudes like to pretend that they’re real journalists, well that’s the correct journalistic thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe the $9.95ers should go to incentive based NIL deals?  Like, your money is prorated based on the number of games you start, and you get a bonus if you do something above and beyond to drive clicks like driving your car into an apartment building or getting into a toxic relationship with an aggy equestrian girl.  

that's against the rules

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe the $9.95ers should go to incentive based NIL deals?  Like, your money is prorated based on the number of games you start, and you get a bonus if you do something above and beyond to drive clicks like driving your car into an apartment building or getting into a toxic relationship with an aggy equestrian girl.  

Of all the NIL rules that you CANT do, this is it

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It is pure idiocy on this board when it comes to $9.95ers. There's a constant drumbeat of "IT/Orangebloods/Bohls/247/Rivals/whatever fucking idiot Ebberts' site is/ESPN doesn't know shit" and then their content/tweets are posted, read, debated, disputed, or heralded, depending upon what people want to hear. Either you don't think they have anything to offer, so skip the commentary on them and we'll note it, or come to terms with the remedial fact that covering this stuff is more art than science, and therefore various entities are going to be hit and miss, so amalgamate data from whichever sources you think know a thing or two and toss out the rest. 

The problem for IT or anyone else isn't that they were wrong about Card being the starter. The problem is that either candidate to be a starter is a fucking JAG. There's no reason anyone should be jazzed about Thompson taking the reins. Is he better than Card right now? I think so, personally. That's a low bar though. Thompson is allegedly lazy in the film room and missed meetings during the summer. Card can't keep his shit together against an angry opponent in a hostile environment. They both have miscellaneous deficiencies in their tool kits. They both have physical limitations too. They're JAGs. 

I have been hearing since last year during the Herman 2020 season that Card was going to be the man. I mean, I've had people getting angry with me about the subject when I pushed back about him being anything special. That view continued this spring and into the summer. Folks around the new staff never varied about Card eventually being the starter to open the season. Apparently, he's an excellent QB in practice. Good for him. I haven't seen anything in a game that makes me think "this is the guy for 3 or 4 years, leading Texas to the playoffs."

I stayed away from the QB discussion the entire time, even with people speaking with certitude offline. It's seemed like a pointless debate. Two mediocre QBs biding time inside the program until the program can find a better answer. I hope the defense and running backs can cover for Richard Walton 2.0. Prognosis is negative on those fronts so far, however.

I think Card has the skills but he doesn’t have the attitude. We will see how Casey does but what this team is missing more than anything is a mean streak. 

12 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

We will see how Casey does but what this team is missing more than anything is a mean streak. 

If Casey can avoid waltzing up the pocket and into a sack that doesn't have to be here, they're miles ahead of where they were. The dude could sit there and jack-off the entire time in film study with the coaches and other QBs looking on while Card aces every test in practice, but it's apparent that when he steps on the field he can see what's going on 10x better than what Card can right now.

As for a mean streak, that usually comes from when a coach can put the ball in his OLs hands and let 'em truck fucks up front on a drive or two to send a message. Or from a defense that can set the tone, who isn't tired from having to come back on the field every 90 seconds. We ain't there yet. Lort get us the right croots.

In a rare moment of clarity, the Surly folks did something really wise and sponsored the entire TE room. Or it was an elaborate plot to use the only bbq pun they could come up with. Either way, it was a good idea. IT, on the other hand, took a gamble, lost, and now are acting like morons.

Do the Burnt Ends people feel like they're getting their money's worth thus far?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It is pure idiocy on this board when it comes to $9.95ers. There's a constant drumbeat of "IT/Orangebloods/Bohls/247/Rivals/whatever fucking idiot Ebberts' site is/ESPN doesn't know shit" and then their content/tweets are posted, read, debated, disputed, or heralded, depending upon what people want to hear. Either you don't think they have anything to offer, so skip the commentary on them and we'll note it, or come to terms with the remedial fact that covering this stuff is more art than science, and therefore various entities are going to be hit and miss, so amalgamate data from whichever sources you think know a thing or two and toss out the rest. 

The problem for IT or anyone else isn't that they were wrong about Card being the starter. The problem is that either candidate to be a starter is a fucking JAG. There's no reason anyone should be jazzed about Thompson taking the reins. Is he better than Card right now? I think so, personally. That's a low bar though. Thompson is allegedly lazy in the film room and missed meetings during the summer. Card can't keep his shit together against an angry opponent in a hostile environment. They both have miscellaneous deficiencies in their tool kits. They both have physical limitations too. They're JAGs. 

I have been hearing since last year during the Herman 2020 season that Card was going to be the man. I mean, I've had people getting angry with me about the subject when I pushed back about him being anything special. That view continued this spring and into the summer. Folks around the new staff never varied about Card eventually being the starter to open the season. Apparently, he's an excellent QB in practice. Good for him. I haven't seen anything in a game that makes me think "this is the guy for 3 or 4 years, leading Texas to the playoffs."

I stayed away from the QB discussion the entire time, even with people speaking with certitude offline. It's seemed like a pointless debate. Two mediocre QBs biding time inside the program until the program can find a better answer. I hope the defense and running backs can cover for Richard Walton 2.0. Prognosis is negative on those fronts so far, however.

This assessment of our QB's gives me hope.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:33 PM, closetojumping said:

Sam Ehlinger is a classic football moron. It is no wonder Tim Beck and Herman love him. They’re all losers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yea, every time I see Casey talk he is talking about watching film or getting in extra reps. 

Casey may never be elite, but I'd be shocked if he is a JAG. 

It also seems incredibly reactionary to call Card a JAG after one bad game. The national media treat Spencer Rattler as the greatest thing since sliced bread and he got benched in OU's biggest game last year. We should have expected growing pains at the QB position this season.

1 hour ago, Sabalo said:

This assessment of our QB's gives me hope.

Yeah, that was the day of the second loss to Maryland and it was more of the same bad decision-making we saw from his freshman year carried over. 

I realize some of you fanbois here have posters of Ehlinger adorning your bedroom ceilings and walls, but the guy’s middle name on his birth certificate is probably “Jiggedy-JAG-Jagger”. He was tough and a fan favorite, but he was also slow and lumbering, a mediocre decision maker, with an average arm and painfully weak accuracy. So, yeah, if Thompson or Card put up Ehlinger numbers and performances for the next 3 years, we’re staring down the barrel of unbridled mediocrity, same as it ever was. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

It also seems incredibly reactionary to call Card a JAG after one bad game. The national media treat Spencer Rattler as the greatest thing since sliced bread and he got benched in OU's biggest game last year. We should have expected growing pains at the QB position this season.

Welcome to the board! Maybe read around for awhile and get a feel for the place? No, you dove right in and haven’t looked back. Anywho, I’ve not been high in Card from the moment they were after him versus alternatives in state at the time. I’ve seen nothing to change my POV since. He looks like a terrified baby giraffe running around out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Welcome to the board! Maybe read around for awhile and get a feel for the place? No, you dove right in and haven’t looked back. Anywho, I’ve not been high in Card from the moment they were after him versus alternatives in state at the time. I’ve seen nothing to change my POV since. He looks like a terrified baby giraffe running around out there.

Thanks! Joined back in July to make fun of Nahlin's inflated sense of self-worth as well as his general inability to respond healthily to even mild disagreement. Sounds like you and he would get along well - thankfully this site also has a mute feature.

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, that was the day of the second loss to Maryland and it was more of the same bad decision-making we saw from his freshman year carried over. 

I realize some of you fanbois here have posters of Ehlinger adorning your bedroom ceilings and walls, but the guy’s middle name on his birth certificate is probably “Jiggedy-JAG-Jagger”. He was tough and a fan favorite, but he was also slow and lumbering, a mediocre decision maker, with an average arm and painfully weak accuracy. So, yeah, if Thompson or Card put up Ehlinger numbers and performances for the next 3 years, we’re staring down the barrel of unbridled mediocrity, same as it ever was. 

Not a Sam fanboi and certainly not a fan of Herman, but a top 5 poster on this site calling Sam a JAG deserves calling out. Sam will probably be a JAG in the NFL, but he was a baller in his 4 years at UT.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Thanks! Joined back in July to make fun of Nahlin's inflated sense of self-worth as well as his general inability to respond healthily to even mild disagreement. Sounds like you and he would get along well - thankfully this site also has a mute feature.

7 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Not a Sam fanboi and certainly not a fan of Herman, but a top 5 poster on this site calling Sam a JAG deserves calling out. Sam will probably be a JAG in the NFL, but he was a baller in his 4 years at UT.

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=ecf05e47vi

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Yeah, he and I go way back. 

10 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I guess there’s a difference in opinion between us on what a JAG is. To me, if the guy isn’t going help to change the trajectory of the program, he’s a JAG or worse. I am happy Ehlinger is a longhorn and I know a lot of people loved his toughness and grit, but he wasn’t a guy that elevated the program. If you think he did, I guess, okay, we can disagree and I’m fine if that’s not popular with folks. 

Also, don’t hold me to a higher standard than other posters. I will only inevitably disappoint you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, he and I go way back. 

I guess there’s a difference in opinion between us on what a JAG is. To me, if the guy isn’t going help to change the trajectory of the program, he’s a JAG or worse. I am happy Ehlinger is a longhorn and I know a lot of people loved his toughness and grit, but he wasn’t a guy that elevated the program. If you think he did, I guess, okay, we can disagree and I’m fine if that’s not popular with folks. 

Also, don’t hold me to a higher standard than other posters. I will only inevitably disappoint you. 

Sounds fair, I don't think Sam was elite, but he was certainly better than a football moron. I hope Casey or Card turn out to be more than a JAG.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Both guys have about 40 pass attempts at this point.  Since that is about one game, I think it is too small to draw many conclusions, but all the key stats (completions, yards,TDS) favor Thompson.  Anecdotally, I like his poise.  But it seems early to make a call on anything.  

One data point favoring your JAG call is that Casey never pushed Sam.  Counter to that = Mensa.

Guess we will fuck around & find out.

11 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Both guys have about 40 pass attempts at this point.  Since that is about one game, I think it is too small to draw many conclusions, but all the key stats (completions, yards,TDS) favor Thompson.  Anecdotally, I like his poise.  But it seems early to make a call on anything.  

One data point favoring your JAG call is that Casey never pushed Sam.  Counter to that = Mensa.

Guess we will fuck around & find out.

Yea my counter point to that is Casey outplayed sam vs Colorado.  Was not garbage time.  And didn’t want to say it then but Casey surprised me vs utep as well.  Yes. Garbage time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Tell me you've not watched Ohio State play this year, without telling me you've not watched Ohio State play this year.

Huh? I watched him play Minnesota at the Lavaca Sports Bar and then watched him play Oregon while getting hazed by the locals at a sports bar in Fayetteville. 

Dude is a freshman and made some mistakes, but he can play. He’s also put up big numbers irrespective of scouting whines, and seeing him replaced by a mulletted, bleached blonde white rich kid from Texas will not sit well with the media or fans. Shroud is trending towards entrenched. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? I watched him play Minnesota at the Lavaca Sports Bar and then watched him play Oregon while getting hazed by the locals at a sports bar in Fayetteville. 

Dude is a freshman and made some mistakes, but he can play. He’s also put up big numbers irrespective of scouting whines, and seeing him replaced by a mulletted, bleached blonde white rich kid from Texas will not sit well with the media or fans. Shroud is trending towards entrenched. 

If you took out rich, I think they would be fine with the rest

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's no Calzada, but he airmailed tons of throws against Oregon. He's shown some talent, especially hitting receivers that had nobody within 10 yards of them, but his accuracy needs tons of work. 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

21. Givler also discovered that Barton and Stickney published demonstrably false reports about The Ohio State University’s football team’s practices.

Dont Accuse Me Glass House GIF by Snowfall

18. Barton started a fantasy football league under Scoop’s umbrella for members of the site. Barton used his administrator privileges to change lineups at halftime of games to form the best possible lineup for his team and his wife’s teams. This was an attempt to cheat other league members, which were Scoop subscribers, out of money and jeopardized Scoop’s reputation.

Season 1 Episode 24 GIF by Martin

Edited by Viper