Rick and Morty

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also Rick is a shell of his former super intelligent, essentially prescient, go-go gadget, weaponized Rick self. and i don't think the portal gun has been used this season. neither of these things makes any sense.

anyone else noticing this? any thoughts? when the show went away for such a long time after S3 i was afraid that there might be some noticeable changes, but for me, the Rick Sanchez from Pickle Rick would see S5 Rick Sanchez as incredibly weak and frankly embarrassing. it's like he's lost what makes him Rick.

edit- has Rick been drinking/belching and i'm just not noticing, or has that gone away too?

Edited by shadow_operative

Rick's character has certainly changed. His science devices have failed at least twice this season that I can recall and catches Rick off guard. He has shown legitimate feelings of love both romantically and last episode towards Beth and even Jerry a little. He acknowledged his drinking problem in an episode. He and Morty aren't paired every episode and they're mixing it up some. Morty is growing too, more confident, less time with Rick, etc. The portal gun thing is weird, they've transported using other methods, but not the portal gun.

I'm wondering if they are setting up something like we're watching a different version of the family, maybe even a decoy family. Or maybe Rick's drinking and age are finally catching up to him. I saw a theory that the focus of this season is really Morty and a backstory about how he becomes evil Morty. 

Who knows. I've seen interviews where the showrunners all but acknowledge that some of what they are doing is a middle finger to the fanbois who gave the fanbase as a whole a bad name, and are the ones who bitch and moan at any sort of change. To me, the jokes are still funny, the confusing as shit stuff is still confusing as shit (like the pain is pleasure demons), and I like that they are kind of mixing in interdimensional cable instead of devoting a whole episode to it.

People complain when a show after several seasons trys to evolve their characters. They complain if they stick with the same gags without any change in the characters. I think most shows will inevitably have criticisms after 3-4 seasons. Things have to change, or not change, and some fans will be turned off. Again, it's okay to not like a show, or to stop liking a show. I still like this one, I thought last nights was the second best of the season after Mr. Nimbus.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I've enjoyed this season because I recognize they have switched gears. Time will tell if it works out for the better.

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

I really don't get any sense of a fall off, and even if it has, it's not so much to really notice IMO.

This is not a Community-type of situation either - they are in full control and doing what they want, so I'd give them a lot more slack.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no problem quitting on shows. There are very few shows, in fact, that I’ve watched all the way through, especially in the pre-binge era. R&M has settled into comfortable sitcom territory. It still has the promise of developing the overall plot(s), (Evil Morty, etc.), but even without that, the eps can be entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I've enjoyed this season because I recognize they have switched gears. Time will tell if it works out for the better.

Theres some sort of cloud over everything that I can't quite describe or understand yet. Thats for sure. The introduction of the cenobites may be a clue. 

This. I don't think its bad or worse but it's different which is inevitable after 3-4 seasons. I heard that episode 7 was leaked somewhere and that it may be the best of the season. Either way, just looking forward to more episodes.

I’m not going to go on a prolonged rant, but I think the Rick and Morty is in a mid show funk. 

How did we get here? It’s pretty simple, they haven’t figured out how to write prolonged  Beth, Summer, and Jerry storylines. Jerry doesn’t need a season long arc. He needs a one off episode where he does a bunch of stupid shit with a talking cat. 

The core of the show is Rick and Morty on an adventure of the week while Beth, Jerry, and Summer deal with the fallout back at home.

I understand this dynamic is difficult to maintain. The voice actors want to be in more scenes, make more money, etc... but would anyone notice if they recast Beth or Summer? Chris Parnell has a very distinct voice, he’d be very difficult to replace. 

On 7/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, 'stache said:

To me, the jokes are still funny, the confusing as shit stuff is still confusing as shit (like the pain is pleasure demons)

I think that was supposed to be confusing. That was the joke. That it didn't make sense and they couldn't figure out what was pleasure and what was pain. 

I feel like they’re building up to something with Rick yet again being out smarted by someone else. My guess will be that we’re following another Rick or a decoy Rick. Or he’s being sabotaged by a renewed council of Ricks. It’s a pretty clear pattern this season. The jokes are still hitting, for me at least, but it is definitely different than prior seasons. The redneck military thing was funny, I assume there is plenty of online backlash that the writers don’t give two shits about.

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

I feel like they’re building up to something with Rick yet again being out smarted by someone else. My guess will be that we’re following another Rick or a decoy Rick. Or he’s being sabotaged by a renewed council of Ricks. It’s a pretty clear pattern this season. The jokes are still hitting, for me at least, but it is definitely different than prior seasons. The redneck military thing was funny, I assume there is plenty of online backlash that the writers don’t give two shits about.

I don't see much drooling in this season  which may imply he's drinking less.  Maybe cumulative effect of everything including last season with Beth, Phoenix person, and triniti. 

and i swear to god, if even one of you cries about me not liking the episode or says, "then why don't you stop watching the show!" then i'm going to have to demand that you stop watching UT football starting, oh, a decade or so ago. that's right kids, it's the exact same thing. this show used to be good, and now it's not. still, i watch it, hoping that one day it will reach its potential and once again be appointment viewing. until then, either everyone is allowed to have his own opinion on the show, or we can just rename this thread to the Weekly Derka Dome, because that's what it's going to be if you cry about me not liking the show.

• Fuck You 2

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Community chicken fingers episode >>> this cheap knock off.

would edit but it's too late- doing the mafia movie spoof and then not committing to it/mixing it with some sort of anime spoof is just so all over the place that i can't fathom how they thought it was a good idea. that was this episode in a nutshell- just all over the place. 

• Fuck You 2

i remember when this show was funny. now i'm starting to think that Dan Harmon has some sort of three-season cap on making brilliant, poignant, funny shows. i legit liked a higher percentage of episode from Community seasons 4 and 5 than Rick & Morty. this is essentially just a repeat of Community- three outstanding seasons of TV that's hilarious, thoughtful, and at times mind bending, followed by a bunch of unfunny garbage that only resembles seasons 1-3 in that it's mostly the same characters/universe. such a bummer.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i remember when this show was funny. now i'm starting to think that Dan Harmon has some sort of three-season cap on making brilliant, poignant, funny shows. i legit liked a higher percentage of episode from Community seasons 4 and 5 than Rick & Morty. this is essentially just a repeat of Community- three outstanding seasons of TV that's hilarious, thoughtful, and at times mind bending, followed by a bunch of unfunny garbage that only resembles seasons 1-3 in that it's mostly the same characters/universe. such a bummer.

You're a trip. We gotta get a beer sometime. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I actually kinda agree with Derka that the show has gotten crappy. The characters aren't in the same sweet spot they were in previous seasons. Also just too much forced action and Rick saying really stupid cheesy lines that he would never say in the past.

I adore 1-3. Season 4 was horrible to me minus a couple decent ones.  Season 5 has made me chuckle more often and taken the show in some more fun directions than season 4 did.

The criticism is silly sometimes. It's such a phenomenon - easily the biggest show to come from Adult Swim. The first 2 seasons were so groundbreaking that I think a lot of fans just wish that that R&M is coming back to something like that and it never will. 

That said - minus maybe one episode I've loved this season. They're developing character arts without ruining anything integral and also providing some pretty God damn funny moments. 

As far as sit coms go - this is a good season 5. If its sin is that it isn't season 2 then fuck it. It's still probably the only show that I keep up with when new releases come out. 

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

I adore 1-3. Season 4 was horrible to me minus a couple decent ones.  Season 5 has made me chuckle more often and taken the show in some more fun directions than season 4 did.

The criticism is silly sometimes. It's such a phenomenon - easily the biggest show to come from Adult Swim. The first 2 seasons were so groundbreaking that I think a lot of fans just wish that that R&M is coming back to something like that and it never will. 

That said - minus maybe one episode I've loved this season. They're developing character arts without ruining anything integral and also providing some pretty God damn funny moments. 

As far as sit coms go - this is a good season 5. If its sin is that it isn't season 2 then fuck it. It's still probably the only show that I keep up with when new releases come out. 

Harmon should have ended Community the second Donald Glover left, but it got exponentially worse after Chevy “left the show”. 

I think the long break hurt Rick and Morty. It just hasn’t been the same since. It’s lost the secret sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I enjoyed it.  It wasn’t an all time great episode or anything but it had some good moments.  Did everyone miss this bomb?

“You’re one of those creeps who moves in with abandoned adult Beths? You live with a version of our dead daughter.”

i didn't miss it, i just didn't care, because this season has been so fast-paced and ever-changing that there's no time to stop and marinate on something like that.  just like most of the dialogue this season, it was said, and then 0.5 seconds later it was gone, because everything is happening at a breakneck pace like this show is an action/sci-fi thriller and not a sitcom. S4 wasn't very good as it "just didn't feel the same", and lacked laughs; season 5 has been a frantic, disjointed mess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, shadow_operative said:

85B27D11-5871-4ADC-9C19-19D816CE1FE4.jpeg

CFB08FDE-1B95-4216-971D-262BA42C3702.jpeg

552CA399-CA08-4B03-8C84-C7074FB09B06.jpeg

so what was all this shit about? that Beth is dead? i really can't think of anything else that's particularly noteworthy about the episode. for their own writers to come out on social media and tell their fan base, "just wait until you guys see this shit", and then drop that dud shows how out of touch the people making this show have become. 

I still like the show but derka brings up a good point about the pacing. It's more difficult to follow now and you can't process much of it without something else happening right on top of it. I don't want to have to rewatch the thing five times to get a joke or figure out what the hell is going on. I'm not that invested.

• Hook 'Em 1

This episode was obviously meant to be more informative than funny. The writers seemed to be excited. I can agree the pacing is a little confusing at times, but it doesn't really bother me too much. Mr. Nimbus was still my favorite episode this season. I'm curious what comes next with the backstories that they are very slowly fleshing out. 

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I still like the show but derka brings up a good point about the pacing. It's more difficult to follow now and you can't process much of it without something else happening right on top of it. I don't want to have to rewatch the thing five times to get a joke or figure out what the hell is going on. I'm not that invested.

Hahahahahaha, I was reading that guy's posts and thinking "he reminds me of Derka, he cares way too much about his opinions..."  

Anyways, I enjoyed most of the episodes this season. It's not S1-3 level greatness, but it's a fun 20 minute show with some good jokes and lots of creativity. The worlds they build and the characters they create are interesting and well done. I'm happy to see Bird Person is back, and hope that reviving him will lead to something big in the season finale. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"he cares way too much about his opinions." says one of the scores of people in this thread who care WAY more than i do about my own opinions. 

i post my opinions, just like you do. the only difference is that i'm critical of the show, which as we've seen is just way too much for the fanboys to handle. sorry not sorry that my totally benign posts cause such a reaction from so many of you. 

• Like 1

Jesus Derka, You literally can't take it if anyone says the smallest little thing about your take..  You stopped being critical and have turned to a full on hater for years now.  That's why we say stop watching...not because of the stupid "It's just like why we still watch Texas football despite them sucking" argument that has NO correlation.  You literally hate the show now.  You've got such a bias against the show now that you couldn't enjoy the show, even if it WAS great.

I legit avoided saying anything to you to stop these little stupid posts by you, but you just can't help yourself.  You got issues man(I know, I know...of course).

• Fuck You 1

• 4 weeks later...