Rick and Morty

Goo Punch

Last night I accidentally watched ep 10 first. So I didn't know about ep 9 until today when I read Surly. From that perspective, ep 9 wasn't all that bad. Lots of callbacks to movies like Deadpool 2. Really liked the garbage goober bit at the end.

I just signed up for Sling for football season so I caught up on the show. 

Maybe watching them one-a-day and not dissecting them for a week between episodes helps, but I don’t get all the teeth gnashing about it. I thought it was a solid season. Better than the trash the Longhorns rolled out in Fayetteville, that’s for damn sure. 

11 minutes ago, hornian said:

I just signed up for Sling for football season so I caught up on the show. 

Maybe watching them one-a-day and not dissecting them for a week between episodes helps, but I don’t get all the teeth gnashing about it. I thought it was a solid season. Better than the trash the Longhorns rolled out in Fayetteville, that’s for damn sure. 

so you think that seasons 4 and 5 have been equal to seasons 1-3, and are therefore flummoxed as to why anyone would have anything critical to say about the show. is that right? 

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you think that seasons 4 and 5 have been equal to seasons 1-3, and are therefore flummoxed as to why anyone would have anything critical to say about the show. is that right? 

That’s not what I said at all. Nice straw man argument though. 

That season finale was legit. Top notch sci-fi concepts and entertaining backstory with the history of rick, alternate ricks, and the citadel stuff. Finally some payoff on the evil morty bit from long ago.  Garbage goober and his wife was a good joke to end the season. They do a lot of those "monster goes home" jokes with odd characters. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was good, not great, but that's kinda been the trajectory of this show. It's still enjoyable, since I love the characters and storylines, but not a lot of LOLs in that episode. Space Beth is cool, hope she sticks around. I'm glad they picked up exactly where S5 left off, and wrapped up the evil Morty stuff, that had been lingering a long time. Rick Prime could be a good villain for the season.

I'm gonna keep watching it no matter what, but if you're bored with R&M or need something to tide you over, check out Solar Opposites. It's Justin Roiland, and it feels like a spinoff of R&M. I think it's on Hulu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i haven't really lol'd at this show in a couple of seasons, but i enjoyed the die hard episode. definitely my favorite episode in years. they didn't try nearly as hard to cram in some overly thought out, fast paced, break neck epic adventure with way too much dialogue into a 22 minute episode. when they stick to that, they've been much funnier. 

Probably the best Die Hard parody I’ve seen, and I loved the Peter Dinklage voice work. 

My wife and I couldn’t figure out his voice and then in the final diehard moment, my wife realized it was Tyrion lanister or whatever his name was in dragon show…(I didn’t watch that shit). To which it clicked that yeah it is Peter Dinklage.

And yes even the post credits diehard with a vengeance was greatness!

it's pretty insane how this show went from being first ballot hall of fame material for "smart-and-funny tv" to bring zero-laugh garbage in the blink of an eye. there's a reason that the episode ratings for seasons 1-3 are so much higher than these more recent seasons. the only way i could have enjoyed that less is if lowell galindo had done pxp on the entire thing. this show used to be about making people laugh. now it's more about spending half an hour making long winded, ham fisted points about random, inane shit. sucks. 

Edited by shadow_operative

The novelty wore off. The breaks between seasons were too long. I’m hoping that wasn’t the highlight of the season, because it falls far short of snake jazz, but it was the most entertaining episode so far this year. A stark reminder that Summer and Morty remain kids.

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it's pretty insane how this show went from being first ballot hall of fame material for "smart-and-funny tv" to bring zero-laugh garbage in the blink of an eye. there's a reason that the episode ratings for seasons 1-3 are so much higher than these more recent seasons. the only way i could have enjoyed that less is if lowell galindo had done pxp on the entire thing. this show used to be about making people laugh. now it's more about spending half an hour making long winded, ham fisted points about random, inane shit. sucks. 

We agree.  That wasn't that great of an episode, nor did I like last week's

Jesus. The end scene at the table made the whole thing worth it. Yes pound for pound not their best work but holy shit that one got pretty major laugh out of me.

I mean, ever since they introduced space Beth the outcome was obvious, especially when you add in the sea king episode but the way they put it all together was greatness, even if the video game bit fell flat.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:04 AM, shadow_operative said:

somebody is not a fan of lesbian clone sex

• Haha 1

I’m sorry, I’m still not sure whether you liked the episode or not.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1