Used Car Surlies

RPM

I was skeptical but I had a really good experience with Carvana. In mid 2017 I got a 2013 Honda Fit with 22k miles for $11k. The car was fresh off a lease, still had a year/14k miles of manufacturer's warranty. Infinitely better deal than anything I found in the local market and below KBB. Got the car in a matter of days, even using credit union financing (much better rate than their in house). They also give you seven days to return the car no questions asked. I got it inspected by an independent mechanic during that time and it got a clean bill of health. One drawback - I have read that they source a lot of vehicles from up north that have rust issues to salting of the roads in winter. Not an issue for the one I bought, it was in Houston previously, but it is an issue apparently. Overall I'd recommend. Used car dollar went pretty damn far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2019 at 7:22 AM, RPM said:

We have any car dealers here? I'm raking up the miles on my commute car and looking for something in better shape. '12+ CTS, XTS or comparable 70K or less under $14K. Yeah, I'm a poors. Hook 'em me up.

I have an 11 CTS Coupe.  It has been one of the best cars I have owned.  Still fun to drive, rattle and squeak free and the 3.6LV6 still hums.  Had to buy a water pump at about 85k, but that's pretty normal, I suppose.

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:02 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I have an 11 CTS Coupe.  It has been one of the best cars I have owned.  Still fun to drive, rattle and squeak free and the 3.6LV6 still hums.  Had to buy a water pump at about 85k, but that's pretty normal, I suppose.

Yep - water pumps are simply one of those parts that wear out.  I think on my buddies old Audi they had to remove the A/C to get to it... because German "engineering."

I've usually had luck finding used, but I have also been extremely patient in waiting for the right deal.  The Carvana option might be a good one, especially if you got them to buy your existing commuter just for a clean transaction.  Avoiding any car from the North, or from areas of flooding is always wise. But with a 7 day return and a great mechanic inspection gmr548 has me thinking if I go used again in the future.

I will also say that if you use craigslist, use the map feature.  I missed out on a couple killer low milage deals in nicer areas as they got snatched up so fast.  Better homes to me mean likely better maintenance, and less need to get top dollar on the sale.  ALWAYS ask the mot important question, why are you selling.  

Edited by horn4life

On 2/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, gmr548 said:

One drawback - I have read that they source a lot of vehicles from up north that have rust issues to salting of the roads in winter. Not an issue for the one I bought, it was in Houston previously, but it is an issue apparently. 

That funny because up here, people are very skeptical of buying automobiles/ farm equipment from “down South”. 
Humidity, water, and hurricanes, apparently. 

With anything German, pay for a pre-purchase inspection and consider an extended warranty through the lender if it's close to being out of warranty.  The only time I've ever opted to do that was with a German car and it saved my butt a few times.  They tend not to be too expensive and, in my experience, weren't stingy when the difference between "German quality" and "German reliability" diverged. 

Edited by dcbc

• 3 weeks later...