Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

On 3/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, APMP said:
On 3/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, satyanash said:
India losing at home to Australia gives me pause. I have a feeling they won't make it past the Super Six, especially with their lineup so ill-suited to English pitches.

I still think they're virtually a lock for the semi finals. Main thing is to wash the T20 IPL thought processes out of their system before the tourney starts.

As a casual cricket fan, it frightens me to think of the mindset change required for Test Cricket vs. T20. 

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Just curious and maybe my sarcasm meter is broke, but are you implying that the WC is test cricket?  I’m not trying to start shit, just wondering.

Your sarcasm meter is broke. I wasn't implying that at all. Just making a general statement about the sport.

Lol Jos Buttler is a whiny bitch. Fuck his spirit of the game argument. You don't want to lose your wicket? Keep watching the bowler and don't step out of the crease until the ball has been delivered. Trickeration is a fundamental part of sport (so long as it's within the rules).

Edited by UDontKnow

Pakistan completely botched a chase of 277 against the Aussies despite two centuries from their openers. They needed just 60 runs from their final nine overs, but collapsed totally.

Looks like Oz is doing just fine without Steve Smith now.

Edited by satyanash

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I find it quite rubbish that one CSK vs SRH match is on a Wednesday and the other is the next fucking Tuesday.

SRH take it by 5 wickets, and they're now atop the points table.

They got Bairstow for pennies and he's been one of their most important players. Great investment. (Conversely, it looks like they wasted a lot of $$$ on Manish Pandey).

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

SRH take it by 5 wickets, and they're now atop the points table.

They got Bairstow for pennies and he's been one of their most important players. Great investment. (Conversely, it looks like they wasted a lot of $$$ on Manish Pandey).

If England wins the World Cup next month, it will be because of Jonny Bairstow. Mark my words.

Andre Russell has gone full Vince Young in the Rose Bowl against RCB.  48 off 13 balls.  He scored 28 off 5 fucking balls in the 19th over.

After 17 overs, KKR had a RRR of 17.33 and won the damn match with 5 balls to go.  That is unfuckingbelievable.  Kohli should just step down right now.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Mumbai Indians playing good cricket at the moment by beating both Chennai and Hyderabad this week.  They brought in a Windies bowler for his debut today (Alzarri Joseph) - all he did was go out and take six wickets. 

Two great performances the last two days by Joseph and Russell.

India and Australia have named their World Cup squads:

India:  Virat Kohli, MS Dohni, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammad Shami, Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Kedar Jadhav, Vijay Shankar, Dinesh Karthik.

Surprised Rishabh Pant didn't get a slot, but other than that probably went about like most would have expected.

Australia cheaters:  David Warner, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Alex Carey, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Starc, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jhye Richardson

On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

India:  Virat Kohli, MS Dohni, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammad Shami, Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Kedar Jadhav, Vijay Shankar, Dinesh Karthik.

Surprised Rishabh Pant didn't get a slot, but other than that probably went about like most would have expected.

Australia cheaters:  David Warner, Aaron Finch, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Alex Carey, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Starc, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jhye Richardson

Sucks for Rayudu. End of 2018 he was a near-lock to make it at the No. 4 slot, but he suffered a drop in form at the worst possible time. After giving up Test cricket to prepare for the World Cup, too.

Cost? Is it available in the US?
HotStar is like $6 a month. Yes it's available in the US and I think the exclusive carrier of those two tournaments. Use the Roku channel pretty much every day without problems.
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 12:04 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I know elite athletes when I see them. I didn’t. 

This is an opportunity for someone with a “good enough to get a scholarship to D-II” level of athletic ability.  

However, when I was in Australia for two weeks (pre-Internet) I watched cricket late every night because it was the best thing on TV. I totally figured it out.  I understood it at least on the same level that a little leaguer understands baseball.

A few years later I was in a bar in Austin and somehow it was on the TV.  I couldn’t make heads or tails of any of it.  So it’s not  as simple as it appears.  

14 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is an opportunity for someone with a “good enough to get a scholarship to D-II” level of athletic ability.  

However, when I was in Australia for two weeks (pre-Internet) I watched cricket late every night because it was the best thing on TV. I totally figured it out.  I understood it at least on the same level that a little leaguer understands baseball.

A few years later I was in a bar in Austin and somehow it was on the TV.  I couldn’t make heads or tails of any of it.  So it’s not  as simple as it appears.  

Yeah, I consider myself an "average" cricket fan, but every now and then I get thrown for a loop. To be fair, that happens in all sports. There are some obscure rules in football/soccer/baseball that even stump the experts. 

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Spend the 10 bucks per month and get Willow TV or Sling TV

I had a sub to Willow, but again, most (though not all) matches happen overnight here. My main interests, cricket wise, are Sri Lanka, where my wife is from, and India, where I spent a few years in grad school.  I cancelled Willow, as I never seemed to be able to watch the matches live.

South Africa announces their squad:

Faf du Plessis (capt), JP Duminy, David Miller, Dale Steyn, Andile Phehlukwayo, Imran Tahir, Kagiso Rabada, Dwaine Pretorius, Quinton de Kock (wk), Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi, Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, Hashim Amla, Tabraiz Shamsi

They have a legit bowling attack which is good because those guys will have to carry the squad. 

Nice century by Kohli (100/58) today for RCB.  They tried to choke away another one to KKR, but even the great Andre Russell (65 / 25) couldn't dig them out of the hole that worthless Robin Uthappa dug today (9/20 - yes, 9 off freaking 20.  Bet they wish they could get those balls back).  Great run chase that just fell short and a fun match overall.

KKR has completely fallen apart dropping five straight including an embarrassing loss to RCB on Friday.  Complete trash bowling and if Russell doesn't go for a 200+ strike rate they have no chance.  Also doesn't help that Russell doesn't get put in to bat until around the 16th over in most matches.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Could be a better keeper and his fielding is atrocious. For that reason, it is good India included Jaddu. I don't think KL Rahul was super deserving. I would play DK ahead of him.