Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

2 hours ago, remoh said:

Maybe it is time for superfit Kohli to give slow/fat Ashwin a chance in ODI. He cant be a worse fielder than what we saw. (Actually he probably will be worse fielder, but good chance he makes it up with wickets). 

Yeah, as much as I love Ashwin, he’s a shit fielder. Not so much by dropping dollies, but unless the ball is hit right to him it’s going to the rope. Axar Patel may be worth a look?  Like you said, Chahal, Krunal, Kuldeep, etc are pretty rubbish so they don’t lose anything. 

11 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

If I am picking an ODI squad for a match that matters, my chosen bowlers would be Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar, Shami, Jadeja, Ashwin, and Hardik assuming all are fit and healthy. That should also be a strong enough fielding lineup. Maybe the newer bowlers were unnerved in the death?

Who would you have pulled to accommodate Sundar? Krunal as he had a low strike rate? The pitch was not favorable for spinners.

this is for ODIs (not T20Is):

Think Thakur is in the top tier of seamers (above Natarajan), as he is fairly smart bowler with variations but he can also contribute a quick 20-30 runs with the bat.

For spinners, I dont know of India has a spinner that can play purely on bowling ability. Chahal comes the closest, but attacking sides will beat on him. Good thing is he doesnt go too negative/depressed like Kuldeep when taken to the cleaners.

I think India needs to continue developing spin bowlers that are all rounders. Jadeja is an obvious when healthy. One of Sundar or Axar (preferred slightly as he is a better bowler) should be given a chance as they can both bat.

Here is my first India team for ODIs when all healthy:

4 bats: Rohit, Kohli, Dhawan, and Iyer. Backup: SKY.   

Wicketkeeper: Pant. Backup: Rahul. 

3 all rounders: Hardik, Jadeja and Shardul. Backups: Axar, Sundar, or Krunal.

3 bowlers: Bumrah, Bhuvi and one of: Shami or Chahal (depending on pitch). Backup: Natarajan, Siraj, Saini, R Chahar. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/ipl-2021-1249214/chennai-super-kings-vs-delhi-capitals-2nd-match-1254059/full-scorecard

Maybe Dhawan is rounding into form. Why can't Prithvi Shaw (he needs to spell his surname correctly) bat like that for India? I did not know Suresh Raina could still bat. Anyone else thrilled to see Jadeja playing cricket again? I am not familiar with Avesh Khan - does he have national team potential? Oh and Dhoni probably should retire from the game and become a coach.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/ipl-2021-1249214/mumbai-indians-vs-royal-challengers-bangalore-1st-match-1254058/full-scorecard

I get irrationally ragey when I see international batsmen top score for each side. So Mumbai lost and Bangalore actually won? Hardik not bowling for Mumbai - some talk of a shoulder niggle. Wonder if that happened in the series against England. How Kohli won the game by having Sundar as an opener (that should never happen) and only letting him bowl 1 over (are you kidding me?) is baffling. Why doesn't he open with AB? He also won despite bowling Chahal his full quota of overs. The same Chahal who conceded the most boundaries and specifically the most 6s. Guess the batting of AB and Glenn Maxwell gave just enough push that RCB was able to win on the last ball. Pollard did minimal with the bat and Rahul Chahar was a net negative for Mumbai.

• 3 weeks later...

Well basically 1/3 of the way through the IPL and you haven't missed much of anything.  A lot of really boring matches especially the ones played on the Chennai mud pit.

Although today saw a pretty decent performance from Jadeja against RCB.  62 off 28 balls including thumping Harshal Patel for 37 runs by himself in the last over which tied the all time highest score in a single over in IPL history.  RCB dropped him when he was 0 off 4, ooooopsie.

Also took three wickets and had a typical Jadeja runout.  He basically did everything except sell popcorn.  Oh yeah, he got man of the match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First session was a draw with India getting out to a quick start but NZ took two wickets late in the session to even things up.  This is going to be a great match if they can get enough play in.  I doubt this will be anything but a draw so both teams will share the WTC.

https://cricstream.me/world-test-championship-final-india-vs-new-zealand-live/stream-2

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Captain Choke and Drunkard Shastri strike again as NZ win by 8 wickets. Absolute shameful performance.  I’m so tired of those two assholes.

New captaincies: Ajinkya Rahane (1st class), Rohit Sharma (T20/ODI)

Team Coach: Anil Kumble (I don't give a shit if he clashes with Kohli)

David's record coaching young kids up through the ranks is stellar. But I think he is perfectly placed at head of the national cricket academy/development program, and I doubt he wants to waste time with the political nonsense that comes with being the men's team coach.

• 1 month later...

Alright you mofos, time to man up and actually do something against the Poms in England.  Unfortunately I think this is going to be another Kohli led disaster with shitty selections and allowing England's tail to score at least 20 bazillion runs. 

I don't even know who is available as there was quite a bit of shuffling due to injuries during their little two month holiday between the WTC and now.  Pretty sure Gill is out and I guess KLR is taking his spot?  Oh well, I have this week off so I'll be up early to watch it until Kohli does something so fucking stupid I want to start throwing shit at my TV.

First order of business, how many tosses will Kohli lose in the 5-game series?  I think he loses four and might pull off the white wash.

Very good day for India as they bowl out England for 183 and survive the twilight hours without losing any wickets of their own.  Siraj had a couple of bumpy spots, but over all the bowling looked very good and threatening most of England's innings.  Bumrah looked like vintage Bumrah again.  Thakur got the key wicket of Joe Root which opened up the flood gates.  I did start to have nightmare flashbacks when Sam fucking Curran started going all IPL and whacking the ball around like it was nothing but alas we got everyone else out before he could do any real damage.

Day 1 to India.

Ohai! Test cricket is back!

kohli benched Ashwin! Nice gutsy decision (and good one). But I would’ve benched Jaddu.

and does anyone know wth it means when read ishant failed a fitness test the morning of. Kohli best not be requiring Ishant to do the yo-yo test or some shit to be eligible to play.  

Pujara, Kohli and Rahane continue to kill this team. All the goodwill Pujara and Rahane built up in Australia is now gone. Kohli is just an arrogant prick that can’t bat anymore but continues to be a cancer for the overall squad. 

And I’m not going to spare Rohit either. Guy does all the hard work seeing off the new ball, is in a good flow and throws it away with a senseless hoik. Asshole is always getting out to stupid shots.