Worst round of golf

Wally Fairway

When I was playing a lot, 23-40 I would shoot 78-83 no matter how well or poorly I played.  Never broke par on 18 but had a ton of -1 or -2 on 9 holes.

Playing at Indian Creek in Carrollton I was -2 going to 18.   All I had to do is double it and I walk away with my first ever even par round.  

Perfect drive.  2nd into the drink in front of the green.  4 on and I fucking 3 jack for a smooth 73.   Fuck that game.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, crackamacgowski said:

So I was standing on the tee box today, and I realized, ever since I started golfing, every single round of golf has been worse than the round before it. So that means that every round that I play, that's the worst round of my life.

Wow that's messed up.

tumblr_inline_mtegkyIuYu1rn628q.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:13 AM, BayouBill said:

Don't know the exact score or date, but I'm sure it was at Shadow Glen.

Haha... I've been playing Shadow since 2003 (father is a member) and have been a member since 2014.  That course will eat people alive.  It doesn't seem tough but the greens are faster than any course in the area and the rough is just thick as hell even if it doesn't look like it.  I play the courses my buddies play and I'm in the low 90's.  Shadow has me consistently between 94 and 105.  My best round ever out there is 88 (one of my best rounds of all time).  I actually just resigned my membership and went to The National in North KC.

Every round I play is the worst.  I compensate by drinking enough that I can't read my scorecard anymore.  Works out nicely.

Really though, the worst one was probably the one several years ago where we had never played the course before, and at one point were teeing off in the wrong direction.  First guy takes his swing, and the rest of us are looking that way thinking the fairway is off behind the woods or whatever, because that's the direction we had stopped when we pulled up in the carts.  After we all shoot, I turned around and oh hey there's a fucking fairway and the other tee boxes right there.  No one even glanced that way before that moment.  Focusness.

I wish I could remember where that was.  One of those days where you're the only players on the course, so that was probably good.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

On 5/10/2018 at 4:45 PM, chitwood said:

Jhawk, I think we are talking about 2 different Shadow Glens.  Horn21, and I assume BayouBill are talking about the abortion of a course in Austin.

We’ve got to be. My shadow is in KC. One of the top 3-5 courses out there. If anyone on here has played my shadow glen regularly then they probably know me or know my family. 

I got out and got a nice glove tan at my new course yesterday. Shot 107 at the National in KC. First run playing it (136 slope) and also my first time picking up a club since getting my ass kicked in Phoenix in early February. I did get it somewhat together and shot a 47 on the back. Really like the course and happy with the decision to join. 

When I was about 25 I took a week off with the goal of playing golf every day at different courses. Which I did. First day didn’t play great. 2nd day played worse. Third day even worse. By the end of the 4th day in a row of playing progressively worse, I decided that was enough. Then my dad calls and asks if I wanted to play golf. Since he wasn’t with me for any of the first 4 rounds, I thought it would be shitty to pass up a round with pops. So we go play. By about the 10th hole, I looked like I’d never held a club in my life. I finished the round by punching the ball with an 8 iron from tee to green.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:37 AM, LonghornJones said:

Probably bc the group behind you was 2 octogenarians shitting their pants.

And yelling at some black guy out on the course.

My worst round was when I was dropped off at Temple Muni back in about 1978 on a July morning. Somehow my stepmother and my dad got their wires crossed as to who would pick me up so I stayed out there all damn day.  I kept calling the house but nobody picked up.  Called Dad's work, he wasn't there and wasn't scheduled that day. Finally at about 6:00 p.m. I realized nobody was going to pick me up and walked about four miles down a FM road  back to the house, carrying my clubs. Mind you, this was after I had been out all morning and afternoon, played 18 etc...  I got the worst sunburn of my life and ended up with heatstroke and sun poisoning. Vomited for several days while as red as a lobster. Then I started peeling ....

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

On 5/15/2018 at 3:29 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

And yelling at some black guy out on the course.

My worst round was when I was dropped off at Temple Muni back in about 1978 on a July morning. Somehow my stepmother and my dad got their wires crossed as to who would pick me up so I stayed out there all damn day.  I kept calling the house but nobody picked up.  Called Dad's work, he wasn't there and wasn't scheduled that day. Finally at about 6:00 p.m. I realized nobody was going to pick me up and walked about four miles down a FM road  back to the house, carrying my clubs. Mind you, this was after I had been out all morning and afternoon, played 18 etc...  I got the worst sunburn of my life and ended up with heatstroke and sun poisoning. Vomited for several days while as red as a lobster. Then I started peeling ....

You were stuck at a golf course all day and only got in 18 holes?  When I was in junior high some of us got in 72 one day; all of it walking / running.  I say running because one set of 18 holes was a one club timed round.  There was some fucked up formula that combined time to play and strokes to come up with a hybrid score.

That's an easy one.  Shot a smooth 111 at Lost Pines in Bastrop State Park before it burnt down.  I lost count after I hit my 10th tree.  I hit random limbs, pine saplings 2 inches in diameter, and plenty of others.  After a while it just got kind of funny.  Good thing I was drinking.
Funny, I played in a HS tournament there a LONG time ago and played with a guy that made two 8s and picked up after 10 shots on the other 16. That's a 176 with a 10 shot max. Would have been at least 250 without that. And that wasn't a real difficult course.

After being about a 4-6 handicap and playing on a state runner up team as a junior, I developed the shanks my senior year in HS and have never recovered. We had a guys weekend 10+ years ago at some place in New Braunfels. After the first day of drinking and poor, but reasonable golf (say 90 or so), things got way out of hand that night. The next day I probably would have shot 200 if it wasn't match play. I was so shaky I could barely swing and missed several 1' and less putts. I probably lost 40+ golf balls and it would have been more but for the fact we'd just agree to drop up in the fairway near where the ball left the course. I lost several balls on each hole. The guy I was playing against was horrible as well and also suffering after the night before. I think we halved after I left a 6" putt short on 18. It was a fitting end.

The day after my 21st birthday I played in a 2-man scramble. We showed up 10 minutes late for our 8-ish tee time, hit our first shots with no shoes on (both great drives) and proceeded to shoot a 48 on the front nine on a course we both played alot and would regularly shoot 75 or better (for 18 holes). I nearly killed the drink girl, but luckily I'd told her to move back some and I hit a cooler instead of her. We didn't make the back nine.

I play once or twice a year now and only in scrambles since I'm still good for a few good shots and an occasional putt. I still shank probably 20% of my short irons/chips. Fun stuff.

For background, I am not a good golfer, today usually shooting about 95, but for much of my life anything under 100 was good, 100-110 was meh, over 110 was disaster. My worst is one of 3 possible rounds:

1) At Bluebonnet, walking, I just keep losing balls.  Lost like 3 out of the middle of the fairway.  Finally on 16, I skank my approach into the pond, my 18th lost ball.  No more balls in the bag.  Walk of shame back to the car.

2) Again at Bluebonnet, playing with my dad and brother.  I am on fire on the front, shooting a personal-best 38.  I par 10 as well, and stand on the 11th tee 6up against my dad with 8 to play.  I lose 1 down, shooting 55 on the back for a smoooth 93.

3) At Canyon Springs, just me and my dad on Father's Day.  I have the best day of my life with my driver, hitting it on the line I want, 240-270 every time.  I hit 12 of 14 fairways, with one of the misses being literally a foot off the fairway in light rough, with sand wedge in.  On #1, I hit a 9i to the middle of the green, 3 putt bogey.  On #2, a par 5, I hit a beautiful 9i for my second shot right at it and fly the green, landing in a bunker behind the green and making double.  Every iron I hit after that was a shank. The only other fairway I missed?  Shanked 4i off the tee.  I had 9i or less in to 14 holes, including a 9i second shot on a par 5 and shot 106.  My dad can't drive it over 200, and he beat my ass something fierce that day.  Could have shot in the 80s or better if I had my irons working at all.

13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

LA Country Club North Course. One of the best tracks I've ever played, but LACC is serious bidness. Caddies are required. And it was brutal. I think I was 112.

I got to play it once.  You have to play with a member.   They pride themselves on not allowing entertainment industry people to join the club. I'm usually in the mid to upper 80's and IIRC I shot a 98.  I sliced a ball into Lionel Richey's back yard.  It has some great holes and some cool views.   One of the tee boxes backs up to the back yard of the Playboy Mansion, but you can't see shit. 

• Like 1

It wasn’t me, but I saw a dude crush a worm burner directly into the edge of a sidewalk cart path that cut across the middle of the fairway and the ball rocketed backwards about 100 yards. 

I was laughing so hard think i peed in my pants a little

On 4/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, DoobieWah said:

Take a knee, it's a long one.

When I was going in to the seventh grade, my family moved out to the 'burbs, (1972). It wasn't really too far out even then - Inwood Forest at the end of Antoine in Houston. Our house backed up to the first hole of the West Nine at the Inwood Forest Country Club.  It was your typical fairly small CC. My father didn't play golf so we didn't join. Nevertheless, I obviously knew a lot of people who did and I got my first set of clubs pretty soon thereafter. Got pretty good too for a kid with no formal lessons. Anyway, on nice evenings I would just walk out the backdoor with a 7, wedge and putter and hack away for three or four holes. My short game was excellent. Mom and dad got divorced and the sibs and I stayed with mom at the house.

Mom got remarried a few years later and my step dad did join the club. Yay! I caddied, worked for the club picking up range balls, spent a lot of time on the putting green and pitching green. I really enjoyed it.

Went away to Texas and my roommate at Jester was black. He played golf also and so I took him to Inwood when we were in town that spring and we got about three holes in when I heard it from across the bayou.

"Get that ni**er off the course!"

I said "What?" obviously having misheard the man.

So he repeated it a little louder.

We finished the nine, (screw those guys!) but I felt pretty shitty about it. My roommate shrugged it off, but I think he was mostly embarrassed for me.

The next day, my stepdad comes in and said that since I was out of high school, the club said I couldn't play there anymore without being a guest.

That was the "worst round of golf" in my life and I've never played a hole since.

That's fucked up.

I have had the great pleasure of sharting on the gold course. Hitting 2nd shot into green, good swing to about 12 feet. Try to squeeze one out but oops! Shart. Left a nasty pair of boxers in the trashcan on #7 at Tanglewood and played commando the rest of the day. Thankful that there were no more mishaps. Shot 84

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hell, technology has kept us old guys playing pretty much how we did in the 70’s. If I had to hit a fucking balata ball with a persimmon wood I would be fucked. I’m going to guess 200 maybe 210? Now compare that to hitting an M5 with Calloway ball,  I can get out to 250, maybe a little longer if the conditions are in my favor.

Where my game has changed is hitting 2, 3, 4 and 5 iron. Hitting those clubs better then the majority of guys I played against in my 20’s and 30’s allowed me a slight advantage. Once in my 40’s I couldn’t hit them anymore. 

My solution was simply to have a club builder fab up a 7 and 9 wood. Combined with the modern 2 piece ball that goes farther then balata, and a club that throws the ball far higher makes the game way easier then hitting long irons. I can’t shape my shots the way I could a tour blade, but I can hit them so much higher who cares. And the game is still fun.