The Umbrella Academy

joeycovers

43 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I'm intrigued, what was your watch schedule like?

I had a pretty lax Friday working from home. Started an episode around 8:30am. Had some calls from 9:30-12.  Watched another 2 episodes while I ate lunch. Took a break until around 3 doing work. Then just finished straight through. 

Finished season 2.  I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1.  Maybe because a lot of the backstory stuff was already done and they could focus more on the story and less on defining the characters.  As much as I enjoyed it for the ride, I had to shut down the brain and not think about it too much as I have to do with most time travel sci-fi entertainment.

Actual story spoiler below - don't open if you haven't watched all of season 2:

Spoiler

Huge plot hole for me was when the two 5s were negotiating.  Kid 5 offers and eventually creates a jump portal for "old man" 5 to correctly reach destination and not end up stranded in the future.  "Old man" 5 goes through the portal.  That should have broken the timeline that created kid 5.  kid 5 shouldn't exist if the logic they professed earlier about breaking timelines held true.  Also, Diego's obsession with saving JFK would be such an obvious and important timeline changing event, even his stupid ass should have understood they might cease to exist if he had been successful.

Edited by bernorange

9 hours ago, bernorange said:

Finished season 2.  I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1.  Maybe because a lot of the backstory stuff was already done and they could focus more on the story and less on defining the characters.  As much as I enjoyed it for the ride, I had to shut down the brain and not think about it too much as I have to do with most time travel sci-fi entertainment.

Actual story spoiler below - don't open if you haven't watched all of season 2:

Reveal hidden contents

Huge plot hole for me was when the two 5s were negotiating.  Kid 5 offers and eventually creates a jump portal for "old man" 5 to correctly reach destination and not end up stranded in the future.  "Old man" 5 goes through the portal.  That should have broken the timeline that created kid 5.  kid 5 shouldn't exist if the logic they professed earlier about breaking timelines held true.  Also, Diego's obsession with saving JFK would be such an obvious and important timeline changing event, even his stupid ass should have understood they might cease to exist if he had been successful.

Spoiler

None of them in the 60s should exist anymore if “old 5” was successful in talking Vanya down from the brink of the 2019 apocalypse.  They would all be safe and sound in 2019 and would not have time jumped back to the 60s to escape the moon-rock apocalypse.  Of course this is applying “Endgame” time travel rules.  If UA is going to introduce “paradox psychosis,” they admit that there is some continuity amongst the timelines.  They kind of broke their own rules by breaking the continuity with everything that happened after the grassy knoll.

Still a really fun season   

I don’t know if this is a plot hole or I just missed something, but:

Spoiler

In ‘63 the handler asks Five to kill all the members of the board in ‘82. So he does that, then goes back to ‘63 and the handler is all like, well all the board members are dead so I’m the new boss. But he killed them in ‘82, not ‘63.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

I don’t know if this is a plot hole or I just missed something, but: ...

Spoiler

Not a plot hole.  The board members (and handler) jump around in time just like 5 does (but with suitcases).  The version of them that 5 kills in '83 is the "current" governing body.  Any version of the board members alive in '63 are the younger selves that aren't board members yet.  The handler was thinking about her current work time when she spoke, not the time period she and 5 happened to exist in at the moment.

On 8/5/2020 at 4:16 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Has it ever been explained what time the commission exists in?  It doesn’t seem to exist in a timeline that can be manipulated. 

She (Handler) said it’s not where to find them meeting but when. She told 5 when in time and where they would hold their secret meeting

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

She (Handler) said it’s not where to find them meeting but when. She told 5 when in time and where they would hold their secret meeting

Right, but does the commission exist in regular linear time, such that a time traveler could go there at any point in the timeline?
the workers use the briefcases that only take them back to the time they can from, but can 5 go to the commission at any time period? 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nobody gets naked. Klaus spends an odd amount of time semi-nude on camera. 

hmm, that's disappointing.  would have settled for a hot lingerie get-up at least on the mom.

oh well.

if klaus and his non-stop manifestation of insecurities, depression, and drug abuse continue to feature heavily, this will be more difficult.  i get enough of roman roy from succession.

• 3 weeks later...

Just binged the whole series. My thoughts are similar to others'.

-Ellen Page is meh, but the rest were pretty well cast. Number Five is great.

-Enjoyed Season 2 much more than Season 1.

-I laughed at the "Oak Lawn" joke when Rumor was saved by the black beauticians from the pursuing white boys, but can't imagine a whole lot of people outside the Metroplex picked up on it.

-Will watch Season 3 when it drops.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was curious how they’d do Ellen/Elliot page’s character.  Wasn’t sure when they shot it in relation to his transition.  Art imitates life. 

spoiler he starts the show with long hair.. then there's a scene he heads to the barber shop.. thats where i left off last...

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s what you think. 

Page says “I’m Victor, that’s who I’ve always been” after the haircut and the other UA siblings just say “ok” and that’s it. So it was handled fine. No muss, no fuss

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Page says “I’m Victor, that’s who I’ve always been” after the haircut and the other UA siblings just say “ok” and that’s it. So it was handled fine. No muss, no fuss

Yeah. It doesn’t appear to be a spoiler as far as plot goes, but I was trying to treat it as such in case anyone cared.  And it’s spelled Viktor in the captions. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah. It doesn’t appear to be a spoiler as far as plot goes, but I was trying to treat it as such in case anyone cared.  And it’s spelled Viktor in the captions. 

It was mentioned enough pre-airing that Elliot’s character would transition. It was just Minor and unimportant and none of his siblings said much besides “ok” and “cool” 

Semi-spoilers ahead, mainly the last 2 paragraphs. I’ll try to spoiler tag it but be warned .

Finished S3 last night. We raced through the first 7 episodes and then tried to slow down… lol

Pretty solid and like others have said, they nail the musical selections and usage.

#5 is still so damn solid as the engine that drives the story and explains everything. Klaus is great again.

I like that this season they finally fleshes out Klaus’ actual super powers. I told my wife early into this season, his power to see dead people sucks if he can’t do anything with… and then the payoff!

This setup S4 with yet another “how are they gonna pull this off next season?!?” I was sure they were about to create their new villain in Allison.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

He’s an alien, so I don’t think so. 

I’d also contend that Sloane’s baby is Abigail Hargreaves 

Some of the theoretical time narrative appears to be borrowing from DARK (another Netflix series about trying to stop the apocalypse through time travel).