White bass run around Austin

Brisketexan

Okay, it's that time of year.  Would love to get some reports from the area -- Reimers (although it gets pretty crowded when the run is on), even the Steps above Granger, but I really love hitting Tejas camp on the San Gabriel when they're on.  Sunday looks like it might be chilly, but a nice sunny day -- may give it a shot someplace.

Also, it's my last spring with my daughter at home, and we're hosting an exchange student who ought to experience some good clean redneckery.  So, any reports on good bankfishing results where we can toss some roostertails or minnows and have them catch fish would be much appreciated.  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 12:28 PM, Brisketexan said:

Okay, it's that time of year.  Would love to get some reports from the area -- Reimers (although it gets pretty crowded when the run is on), even the Steps above Granger, but I really love hitting Tejas camp on the San Gabriel when they're on.  Sunday looks like it might be chilly, but a nice sunny day -- may give it a shot someplace.

Also, it's my last spring with my daughter at home, and we're hosting an exchange student who ought to experience some good clean redneckery.  So, any reports on good bankfishing results where we can toss some roostertails or minnows and have them catch fish would be much appreciated.  

It's a bit of drive, but the white bass run at Lake Somerville is always really good and you can fish off the creek banks in a couple areas.

Edited by kevwun

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If I had to pick one lure (not fly) to fish ponds and rivers the rest of my life, that would probably be it. 

Shit, dude -- when I was a kid and the size limit on specks was 12 inches, 20 fish bag limit, we used to limit out on schoolies using tandem white curly tail rigs in Laguna Salada.

Spent a couple hours fishing the Steps a few weeks ago.  Ended up with 8-10, but not a real run.  I may head out there early Sunday morning - if so, I'll give a report.  I've always found Tejas to be difficult due to the water being so clear, but I might head out there as well.

Edited by Jerry Callo

24 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Spent a couple hours fishing the Steps a few weeks ago.  Ended up with 8-10, but not a real run.  I may head out there early Sunday morning - if so, I'll give a report.  I've always found Tejas to be difficult due to the water being so clear, but I might head out there as well.

After a moderate rain, the water there gets a little color to it....and you can freaking SLAY them.  Or, you hit them when they're in fast water, where it's harder to see.

Lemme know what you see on Sunday early -- I may head out there Sunday late.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:01 PM, Brisketexan said:

After a moderate rain, the water there gets a little color to it....and you can freaking SLAY them.  Or, you hit them when they're in fast water, where it's harder to see.

Lemme know what you see on Sunday early -- I may head out there Sunday late.

Fished a couple hours this morning.  Caught half dozen, a couple pretty good sized.  Everyone was catching some, but no real constant runs.

Fished a couple hours this morning.  Caught half dozen, a couple pretty good sized.  Everyone was catching some, but no real constant runs.

What part of the river? Before or after the rapids? There’s that deep divot before the rapids that holds fish. Sometimes they’re up against the mid bank, and sometimes they’re not he rapids themselves?

We went.  It was dead.  Water is a bit low, and super clear.  We found a pair of them here and there, but they had lockjaw -- nobody was getting any interest from them on anything.  Oh well, we spent 3 hours hiking up and down the river and fishing, then grabbed Whataburger on the way home.