The Germany Thread

sidis

When I say this might have been the best day of my life, I'm not lying.  Taking a 911 through the Black Forest is a dream come true.

Welp, pics aren't working for just take my word for it.

Edited by Assman

On 4/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, sidis said:

no chance in hell.  get your shit together, assman.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:36 AM, Assman said:

When I say this might have been the best day of my life, I'm not lying.  Taking a 911 through the Black Forest is a dream come true.

Welp, pics aren't working for just take my word for it.

Yeah really, get your shit together. That had to have been a blast. Good for you!

• 4 months later...

Okay, so myself and the misses as well as my high school buddy and his wife are headed to Germany for a joint 40th birthday trip.  Our dates are 9/28-10/8 and we're flying in and out of Munich.  Other than our first three nights already booked in Munich for Oktoberfest we are pretty flexible for plans.  We will have a car so we're open to exploring the area, maybe even hitting Austria or the Czech Republic.  

So any recommendations y'all can provide regarding Oktoberfest and good ideas for trips in the area would be appreciated.  I think once we leave Munich we're kinda leaning towards smaller towns and day trip kinda things, but we're okay with it being a very flexible trip.  I do want to at least hit one or two WW2 related historical sites if possible.  Other then that it's about having fun, drinking a lot of beer and eating as much good food as possible.

14 hours ago, longhorndude said:

Okay, so myself and the misses as well as my high school buddy and his wife are headed to Germany for a joint 40th birthday trip.  Our dates are 9/28-10/8 and we're flying in and out of Munich.  Other than our first three nights already booked in Munich for Oktoberfest we are pretty flexible for plans.  We will have a car so we're open to exploring the area, maybe even hitting Austria or the Czech Republic.  

So any recommendations y'all can provide regarding Oktoberfest and good ideas for trips in the area would be appreciated.  I think once we leave Munich we're kinda leaning towards smaller towns and day trip kinda things, but we're okay with it being a very flexible trip.  I do want to at least hit one or two WW2 related historical sites if possible.  Other then that it's about having fun, drinking a lot of beer and eating as much good food as possible.

There's really no info to provide. Show up, pick a tent, find a table to stand at, meet people, drink beer and sing "We are the Champions" and "Angels" about 10X between prosts. (Ziggy zacky ziggy zacky hoi hoi hoi and/or Ein Prosit) If you want Aussies and Americans, go to the Hoffbrau tent. If you want authentic experiences, where English may be a little more limited, choose any other tent. At the end, try to remember how to get back to the metro station without pissing in your lederhosen. You'll be eating hendel mit pommes, obatza with pretzels and other salty foods to soak up the beer. Order a mas like a man and mix in a Radler from time to time to stay hydrated.

For excursions, you have to choose. If you want WWII, head north to Dachau and Nuremburg. If you want scenery, head south to Castle Neuchwanstein. If you want Austria, head to Salzburg and then over to Hallstatt. Of these choices, Salzburg has the greatest schnitzel on the planet at Pitter Keller. 

38 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

There's really no info to provide. Show up, pick a tent, find a table to stand at, meet people, drink beer and sing "We are the Champions" and "Angels" about 10X between prosts. (Ziggy zacky ziggy zacky hoi hoi hoi and/or Ein Prosit) If you want Aussies and Americans, go to the Hoffbrau tent. If you want authentic experiences, where English may be a little more limited, choose any other tent. At the end, try to remember how to get back to the metro station without pissing in your lederhosen. You'll be eating hendel mit pommes, obatza with pretzels and other salty foods to soak up the beer. Order a mas like a man and mix in a Radler from time to time to stay hydrated.

For excursions, you have to choose. If you want WWII, head north to Dachau and Nuremburg. If you want scenery, head south to Castle Neuchwanstein. If you want Austria, head to Salzburg and then over to Hallstatt. Of these choices, Salzburg has the greatest schnitzel on the planet at Pitter Keller. 

You forgot "Country Roads"

Edit: I love the Hippodrome

Edited by G650

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

And get there early. Tents close at 10:00 or 10:30. (At least they did 20 years ago)

They still do.

Go on a weekday, because the weekends are a madhouse and it's very tough to get a seat.  You probably want to arrive around mid-afternoon, before people get off work.

When you go into a tent, you need to find a seat.  They won't serve you unless you have a seat.  Everything is long picnic-style tables, so you're going to be sitting with others.  It's cool--be social and shit.  There are people from all over the world.  It's like a drunken United Nations.

Some of the tables will have a paper on them saying that they're reserved for certain times.  You can still sit there, even after the time of the reservation has started.  But if the party comes that has the reservation, you need to take off (unless they invite you to stay).

You might want to pick up a pair of lederhosen--at least half the guys will be wearing them.  The women should wear dirndls--at least 80% of the women will be wearing those.  

As to day trips, there are several options:

For World War II sites, I would go with Dachau or Nuremberg.  Dachau of course has the concentration camp, and is a very easy train ride (about 40 minutes on the S-Bahn).  Nuremberg was the site of the pre-War Nazi mass rallies, and is a really cool town besides the Nazi shit.  You can catch a high-speed train there very easily.

For a cool medieval walled city, check out Rothenberg ob der Tauber or (the lesser known and less touristy) Nordlingen.  

For the Alpine thing, you can take a road trip down to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  In the area are two of King Ludwig's very impressive castles, Linderhof (which is impressive on the inside) and Neuschwanstein (which is impressive on the outside).  The Wieskirche is also worth a stop for the baroque interior, as is the Ettal Monastery.  

Staying in town, but not in the inner city, is the Olympic Stadium, where the whole past unpleasantness with the Israeli Olympic team went down.  Across the autobahn from that is the BMW museum.

3 hours ago, longhorndude said:

Thanks for all the info so far y’all, definitely adding some of these to the loose itinerary.

I’ve convinced my wife, a known teetoler, to go with me next year with the Romantic Road as an inticement to celebrate being empty nesters. She has been tasked with designing her own dirndl. That will mean more to you post-trip. It will be used sparingly pre-trip for us...

Have fun. I’ve gone with friends and solo and had an amazing time either way. If you are 1% social you will have the same experience. One piece of advice I’ll give you is to remember drinking wine coolers in HS. That is German beer. It’s deadly and sneaks up on you. But, it’s so filtered that you are virtually assured of no hangover the next day. Pace yourself. I’ve yet to see the nighttime on my first day there because I always seem to sprint out of the gate.

40 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’ve convinced my wife, a known teetoler, to go with me next year with the Romantic Road as an inticement to celebrate being empty nesters. She has been tasked with designing her own dirndl. That will mean more to you post-trip. It will be used sparingly pre-trip for us...

Have fun. I’ve gone with friends and solo and had an amazing time either way. If you are 1% social you will have the same experience. One piece of advice I’ll give you is to remember drinking wine coolers in HS. That is German beer. It’s deadly and sneaks up on you. But, it’s so filtered that you are virtually assured of no hangover the next day. Pace yourself. I’ve yet to see the nighttime on my first day there because I always seem to sprint out of the gate.

True story: First Weisn I attended I yakked into a stein at our table at the Hippodrom within 3 hours of arrival and a waitress had cleared the glass and had a freshie in front of me less than 10 seconds after the event. Then we drank some more homemade jäger and I dont remember a lot after that.

We had to abscond to Innsbruck after day 2 because we all thought we would die if not. Learned my lesson from that trip though and every one since has been in control. I see the pattern a lot though. My buddy met us for his first a few years back, and he was already passed out before I got there ( I had stopped for a quick Heathrow layover in to pop into London to see tailor really quick).

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Looking at going to Munich for a week next year.  If we use Munich as a base and rent a car, I think we can keep ourselves occupied for that long by doing 2 or 3 day trips.  Does that sound reasonable?

Easily.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This would be my first time renting a car in Europe, so I'm a little nervous about that but I think it's a bit of a necessity in Munich since there isn't as much to do in the city proper as the other places we've been.

Driving in Germany is better than driving here.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This would be my first time renting a car in Europe, so I'm a little nervous about that but I think it's a bit of a necessity in Munich since there isn't as much to do in the city proper as the other places we've been.

Southern Germany is one of the easiest places in the world to drive. Just don't forget the tax stamp when you cross into Austria.

There's probably more to do in Munich than you are anticipating, and there is so much going on within a car drive radius, I'm not sure a week is enough with all you like to do.

Driving is extremely easy because the driving discipline is way better there. 

Just keep in mind, *always* keep right unless passing - and only pass on the left. Especially in Autobahn unless you want to get blitzed at 100-120-140mph.

In the city, no right on red and watch for pedestrians.  Munich isn't the densest city center so it's not even a concern.

Buy a toll sticker if you want to drive in Austria, and there are tons of great mountain and country driving around there

Garmisch has grown so much it's no longer the cool little village...I hardly recognized it. Go further into the hills to Mittenwald. Very nice little town with plenty of hiking ops.

Oktoberfest - Heading there for the first time, a friend called me from California to say he and his GF were flying into Munich the next day, and told me to get rooms. A tall order. Could only snag a penthouse at considerable expense, 3 night minimum. Typical first timer story - shit faced by early afternoon, but made a strong, possibly chemically induced comeback.  Was disappointed at the early last call, so on the way back to the penthouse stopped at a bar and drank several rounds of apple schnapps, which has little resemblance to the girly stuff available here. Woke up the next day so poisoned from drink, we walked on the remaining two nights in the room, took the train up to Garmisch, checked into a spa and spent the next 24 hours steaming the poisons out...

31 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Garmisch has grown so much it's no longer the cool little village...I hardly recognized it. Go further into the hills to Mittenwald. Very nice little town with plenty of hiking ops.

Oktoberfest - Heading there for the first time, a friend called me from California to say he and his GF were flying into Munich the next day, and told me to get rooms. A tall order. Could only snag a penthouse at considerable expense, 3 night minimum. Typical first timer story - shit faced by early afternoon, but made a strong, possibly chemically induced comeback.  Was disappointed at the early last call, so on the way back to the penthouse stopped at a bar and drank several rounds of apple schnapps, which has little resemblance to the girly stuff available here. Woke up the next day so poisoned from drink, we walked on the remaining two nights in the room, took the train up to Garmisch, checked into a spa and spent the next 24 hours steaming the poisons out...

Man all you needed was a couple of doner kebabs

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 1:28 PM, G650 said:

Good thing you didn't fall into any erdbeerlimes, you might have died.

Had to google it...sounds good, and it couldn't have been any worse than the kerosene like schnapps we had.

Just put strawberries on the shopping list .

Sparkling water?

Edit: First recipe i saw had water, just re-googled it to see it has sparkling wine...sounds very dangerous..

Edited by otisdog
2nd recipe

On 8/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, thestud said:

We went Prague, Munich, Innsbruck, Liechtenstein, Lucerne, Frankfurt in early June and it was awesome. Prague and Lucerne were my two favorite spots, with Lucerne getting the edge because we got to eat dinner every night overlooking lake Lucerne with the mountains in the distance. Absolutely stunning.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, thestud said:

Prague and Lucerne were my two favorite spots, with Lucerne getting the edge because we got to eat dinner every night overlooking lake Lucerne with the mountains in the distance. Absolutely stunning.

I feel that all of Switzerland is stunning.....so much so, when going back to Europe, I find it hard not to go straight back to Grindelwald.

22 minutes ago, thestud said:

Jfc the Asians were horrendous! No concept of personal space, no common decency and no manners. Wife had to restrain me several times from just going full Romanowski.

Yep. My last morning there, I was waiting in line at the entrance to Trummelbach with a nice couple from Denver, just shooting the shit. We had all got there about 10 minutes early so we'd be first in. 1 minute to open, a giant tour bus full of indians pulls up and proceeds to crowd up in front of us. The Denver wife lost her shit. They of course ignored all of us. We complained to the guy at the gate, who just shrugged. If I had managed to bring a baseball bat with me, there would have been a shitload of crippled hindu fucks that morning.

Don't get me started on Jungfraujoch.

19 hours ago, otisdog said:

Had to google it...sounds good, and it couldn't have been any worse than the kerosene like schnapps we had.

Just put strawberries on the shopping list .

Sparkling water?

Edit: First recipe i saw had water, just re-googled it to see it has sparkling wine...sounds very dangerous..

They are fucking lethal.

If you go to the head of the fest grounds, the cross street is Schwanthalerstrasse. Head east for a couple blocks and their is a spot called Gasthaus zur Festweise that serves them. Buckle up afterwards.

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Jungfrau is my favorite area. I like Wengen more than Grindelwald, less shithead asian tourists.

Yes, Wengen is awesome. I just have an emotional attachment to a hotel in Grindelwald, have been staying there for four decades.

Room with a familiar view...

Okay - part two of my first Oktoberfest experience - so we get back to the penthouse after the schnapps. My GF at the time was a total babe. My friend , AKA 'Donkey Dong' always wanted to do a 3 way with her, which wasn't going to happen.

Imagine our surprise, and her terror, when he jumps through the window into our room, buck naked, raging hard-on and all.... GF runs to the bathroom and locks her self in. I go to the window to see how he got in the room. There's an 8" wide ledge on the building below the window, 8 stories above the street. Had to go around the corner of the building to get to our window on the ledge . Raging hard-on. Shit faced.

We were kinda drunk. Don't know how he did it.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, just a couple weeks out and I think we've got our itinerary firmed up a bit...

Munich - 2 days of Oktoberfest and the city

Stuttgart - 2 days, think while in the area the plan is to go to Dachau as well as the Porsche museum and check out the Stuttgart beer fest

Oberammergau -  3 days in the area, Partnach Gorge and the Neuschwanstein Castle

Salzburg - 1 day

Then back to Munich the day before we head back.

This seem doable?  We wanna get as much as we can in without feeling too busy all the time.

11 minutes ago, longhorndude said:

Okay, just a couple weeks out and I think we've got our itinerary firmed up a bit...

Stuttgart - 2 days, think while in the area the plan is to go to Dachau as well as the Porsche museum and check out the Stuttgart beer fest

Oberammergau -  3 days in the area, Partnach Gorge and the Neuschwanstein Castle

Salzburg - 1 day

This seem doable?  We wanna get as much as we can in without feeling too busy all the time.

It's a pretty busy itinerary, but doable. Volksfest in Stuttgart is top notch.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:41 PM, longhorndude said:

Our paths may cross at Oktoberfest the evening of the 28th.  I'll be in Munich Tuesday to Saturday of that week.  Doin' work.....

8 hours ago, longhorndude said:

Salzburg - 1 day

Looks good. Dachau isn’t all that impressive IMO, so if you need to cut, that’s where I would. It’s a trek on the S-bahn/bus to get there. Museum is OK but all the barracks were torn down. Ovens are tiny. I’d substitute a detour on the Romantic Road since you’re heading to Stuttgart then Fussen for the castles. (Outstanding views there) Jive and I caught a Bayern Munich game at Allianz one night and it was worth it if you can convince the lady.

PitterKeller is the tits. Have to get the schnitzel and maybe some rinder rouladen or schwein. Get some Mozart balls from Furst as well in Salzburg, not the mass produced shit. There’s a store by Mozart’s birthplace in the Aldstadt.

• 2 weeks later...