MLS 2019 Thread

alincoln

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I wonder if the conference finals will return to a Home/Away format to protect the best teams. You know that the MLS wanted LAFC for domestic as well as international viewers. 

Why the hell did they change it in the first place?

51 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Why the hell did they change it in the first place?

Because hypothetically a better team should win a winner take all game at home. There were a lot of instances lower seeds winning by multiple goals in the first leg rendering the return leg for the higher seed moot. I was there for the game in Harrison last year after Atlanta pantsed the Red Bulls at home in the first leg and it was a really weird vibe. There was no atmosphere whatsoever because NYRB fans knew it was over before it started.

17 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Because hypothetically a better team should win a winner take all game at home. There were a lot of instances lower seeds winning by multiple goals in the first leg rendering the return leg for the higher seed moot. I was there for the game in Harrison last year after Atlanta pantsed the Red Bulls at home in the first leg and it was a really weird vibe. There was no atmosphere whatsoever because NYRB fans knew it was over before it started.

Not saying that isn't a factor but that's purely anecdotal. The better team is more likely to win over the course of 180 minutes than 90 minutes. There are plenty of examples of matches that felt like dead rubbers only to be flipped in the reverse fixtures. Ask any Liverpool fan about going into a home leg down 3-0...

I think it's just as much that they think their fanbase is too ignorant of soccer standards and try to dumb it down to broaden their appeal. What they have never seemed to figure out is that lots of people who watch MLS also watch Mexican/South American/European soccer and are confused why the rules are different. And they change so often that even lots of dedicated fans don't even know what's going on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 406W30th said:

I think it's just as much that they think their fanbase is too ignorant of soccer standards and try to dumb it down to broaden their appeal. What they have never seemed to figure out is that lots of people who watch MLS also watch Mexican/South American/European soccer and are confused why the rules are different.

I don't think this is based in any reality.

They also did it so they wouldn't have two international breaks in the middle of the playoffs.

I knew Atlanta was fucked when Josef missed the penalty and Toronto scored a few minutes later. Atlanta completely controlled the game. The defending on both goals was bad, but they were both also great strikes and that's what it took for them to lose so it was a classic Atlanta sports choke.

Josef injured his hamstring in training this week and took himself out of the training session Monday. de Boer knew he shouldn't be playing and almost subbed him out five minutes in and then he was allowed to take the penalty which looked like shit because he had no explosiveness.

Atlanta has to figure out a contingency plan for Josef because it just shined a bright light on how reliant they are on him to score. Their goal was a great team goal which they've shown they're capable of but game in, game out they don't have a reliable second person to score. They have a lot to figure out (Gressel's long term future, replacing Nagbe, replacing Parky's leadership, is Pity going to stay) and I feel like the team may look way different next year.